akeldama
[html]

After days of gray clouds, the sun finally showed his face. His glow lit the fallen snow in shimmering gold, and it sparkled like a bed of countless jewels. Oak had been awaiting a day like this with bated breath, impatient to leave the confines of his comfortable home for the cold unknown of the lands beyond. As he bounced through the deep snowdrifts that challenged his every step, excitement welled in his heart. His purpose in leaving Crimson Dreams today was not merely to explore as it had been so many times before - he had a destination in mind, an actual plan.

He was not entirely certain of his route. He only knew that Cour des Miracles lay north, beyond the undulating territory of Shiloh Hills. Navigating through the hills was more difficult than he had anticipated, as the snow had piled up in the small dips between the tall knolls. It took him more than an hour to pass through Shiloh Hills, and by that time he was panting regardless of the freezing temperature. The rust-furred wolf paused, his nose twitching in the breezes. He captured the scent of claimed territory, and a smile broke across his handsome features as he recognized the same aroma that Haven wore.

Oak leaped the last several yards to the borders of Cour des Miracles. It took a lot of determination not to bound right into the claimed territory and seek out his brother, such was his excitement to see Haven again. Remembering the important etiquette that his mother had carefully taught him, Oak lifted his muzzle to the sky and emitted a beckoning song. As the last note of the howl died down, he peered ahead, his ears erect and his tail wagging slowly.

<style type="text/css">
.oaklizard b {font-weight:bold; color:#FA6619; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.oaklizard-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:left; }
.oaklizard p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.oaklizard {margin:0 auto; width:407px; background-color:#3B1E0C; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... rdleaf.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #220000; padding: 245px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5E3D28; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
.oaklizard-line1 {width:347px; border-bottom:1px dotted #E25E16; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
table by erin

[/html]
[html]

Ever since Princess had told him that she was pregnant, Haven had been a big ball of excited energy. There was nothing he could imagine to dim his joy at the prospect of soon becoming a father and he worked to channel all the bright energy into making sure Princess did not have to strain herself to get anything done around the house. The beginning of the pregnancy had been a bit rough on her, making her feel sick, and even though she was doing better now the Knight was not about to let his mate strain herself with any menial tasks. Between his duties to the pack, which he now worked to keep very short and sweet, he made sure to keep their house in good working order and do whatever it was Princess needed him to. The Aatte knew what awaited his petite Princess at the end of the pregnancy and he didn't want her to have to lift a finger she didn't need to until that private struggle came.

The sun was a welcome companion as he rode through the snow on Drogon's back, making sure the borders were secure and there were no intruders wishing to disturb the peace of the Kingdom. The snow was a little deep, but not so deep that it inhibited the mustang stallion's movements any. The dark horse cantered gracefully through the white, powdery precipitation without any seeming effort at all. Haven simply enjoyed the scenery as he scanned the land with his jade gaze and in his mind, tried to imagine what his future children might look like.

A calling howl brought the man out of his reverie and he was surprised to hear that the call was for him specifically. The voice was familiar too, and yet he could not quite place whom it belonged to. A hand on the horse's shoulder was all Drogon needed to alter his direction towards that of the howl and within no time there was a rusty patch of fur on the horizon standing in the snow. A broad smile came to the Knight's face as he recognized his little brother and once Drogon came to a halt in front of the boy, Haven slid down off his back. "Oak! What a pleasant surprise." The larger ochre male crouched down to be on his brother's level. "You've grown since last I saw you," he said, ruffling the fur on top of the blue eyed boy's head with a large hand.

<style type="text/css">
.Havengifter01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#fba702; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #481e00; }
.Havengifter01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#331400; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #BA4F00; text-align:center;}
.Havengifter01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.Havengifter01 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#BA4F00; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... beez01.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fedfa3; padding: 0px 0px 150px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#331400; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #BA4F00; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Havengifter01-border1 {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.Havengifter01-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px solid #bf641a; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

He could not contain his excitement, bouncing his weight from one side to the other. Oak had admired Haven since first meeting him, taken by his strength and by his kind nature. It seemed Alder had already idolized their older brother, once again robbing the spotlight. Oak could not deny the jealousy he felt towards his larger littermate, for the masked boy seemed to take for himself the attention of Mama and recently Haven. It didn't seem fair. Though envious of him, the rust-furred Pusio loved his brother very much, and he had no desire to steal Haven's favor. He merely wanted to get to know him better, to learn his way of living and see if it was something that he liked as much as Alder did.

Before long, the forested distance was broken by a tall shape, an ochre figure perched upon a stately black beast. Haven! Oak yipped happily, his tail wagging at breakneck speed as his brother dismounted the horse and knelt before him. His ears flattened, rump trembling with the rapid movement of his black dipped tail, and his tongue whisked the older wolf's hands in a puppy-greeting. A snicker cascaded from the boy's lips as the fur on his head was ruffled by the man's large hands. I has? he asked, looking down at himself. He hadn't noticed his growth, but he trusted Haven's observation. I'm still little though. I can't wait to be big and strong like you. What he looked forward to most was growing big and defeating all the limits posed by his small size. He couldn't wait to kill and eat the largest (and tastiest) of animals, to run long distances with ease, and to stand tall and fight for the ones he loved.

<style type="text/css">
.oaklizard-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:left; }
.oaklizard {margin:0 auto; width:407px; background-color:#3B1E0C; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... rdleaf.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #220000; padding: 245px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5E3D28; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
.oaklizard-line1 {width:347px; border-bottom:1px dotted #E25E16; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
table by erin

[/html]
[html]

Haven was truthfully unaware that there were some issues of jealously between his three younger brothers. He didn't get to see any of them that often and he wasn't one to play favorites himself. Even if he had known about it he likely would have just chalked it up to youthful egos and simple sibling rivalry. The Aatte had never quarreled with his brother, but Mati had once had a friend their age whom she had gotten close to and it had made Haven horrible jealous. Looking back his actions then seemed so silly, but as a boy it had seemed horribly serious. Mati had always been the one he was closest to and did not like having someone else steal her attention.

It made Haven chuckle good naturedly at the excitement the blue-eyed boy greeted him with. Oak reminded him much more of himself at that age than Alder did. Alder was very quiet and reserved and Haven had been anything but. The color of the boy's coat still intrigued him greatly, adding to his curiosity of who their sire had been. The only other soul with an orange coat he knew of was his accursed father, but sure Conri Church was not the trio's father as well. Despite his questions though, he knew he could never ask Anu. Such a conversation would be far too awkward for the both of them.

"You certainly have!" the Knight said with a certain bravado. Oak's proclamation that he couldn't wait to be all grown up did not surprise Haven. He had been of the same mindset, but now he wished he hadn't been in such a hurry to grow up. There was an invaluable quality to childhood that one could not grasp when one was one. "I understand, but don't grow up too fast, okay? There's plenty of fun stuff you get to do that big adults like me don't really."

<style type="text/css">
.Havengifter01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#fba702; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #481e00; }
.Havengifter01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#331400; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #BA4F00; text-align:center;}
.Havengifter01 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#BA4F00; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... beez01.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fedfa3; padding: 0px 0px 150px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#331400; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #BA4F00; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Havengifter01-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px solid #bf641a; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

do you want to do a couple more short easy posts and then fade to black, since this thread is so crusty?

Oak was not yet able to grasp the true nature of growing up. All he saw were the perks of becoming an adult, the escape from a small body into one that was much more capable, the ability understand what he couldn't yet. He was blissfully unaware of the responsibility he would attain once he had left the dreamy, carefree world of childhood. He had heard that the world was not always a good place, but the truth had yet to penetrate since nothing drastic had ever happened to him. To Oak, growing into an adult would bring no change to his state of mind. Everything would be just as exciting and fun as when he had just been a boy.

Oak's expression became puzzled with his brother's request. He was confused about why anyone would want to remain a little useless baby for any longer than necessary. What you mean? he asked with dark red brow lifted. What kinda stuff I not getta do when I'm big? Oak scrunched his brow, trying to figure out the answer himself. He had noticed that big wolves did not play with each other like little ones did, and whenever adults did play it was with their pups. That was a small difference, though it did seem odd and he wondered what caused the change. There had to be more to it than play. Oak expectantly watched Haven for a response that would help him understand a little better.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
table by erin

[/html]
[html]

sure, that sounds good Smile

No youngster could truly understand the burdens that came with adulthood. He certainly hadn't. All those bright, young eyes saw were the perks. Maybe it was because pups were blissfully unaware of the ill in the world, or maybe it was because adults did such a good job of hiding their heavy loads for the most part. Haven had been so eager to grow up, but practically as soon as he had gained the ability to shift his body his world had come crumbling down around him. He did not expect anything nearly so crushing to happen to his younger brothers, but sooner or later the rose-colored glasses would be removed from their eyes and then they would see.

Oak was clearly confused by his older brother's request. Haven had meant it to be more rhetorical than something he would have to explain. Of course the Knight didn't want to spoil his brother's untainted view of the world around him. The Aatte thought for a moment of things he could say that would not reveal the darker truths of the world. "Well, when you're all grown up you can't go around and play all day. You'll have jobs you'll have to do to help the pack. You'll have a lot more things expected of you when you're older. That's not a bad thing, it just means you don't have so much time to just go around having fun." Hopefully he wasn't giving Oak the idea that being a grown-up was awful. He didn't want that either. It could be so hard to strike a good balance at times with these things.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
---

[/html]
[html]

He had seen the picture that his brother had painted, the adults of his pack busy with "duties" that were exclusive to them while he and the other Dreaming pups played. Haven's words brought truth to his suspicions and he was satisfied with the ocher wolf's explanation. That not sound too bad, he said with a tilt of his head. He had expected a much more daunting answer, he did not know what. Giving up some of his playtime for responsibility did not seem like a horrible exchange, but he could see why it would cause Haven to urge him to enjoy his youth as much as possible. Oak had no way of realizing how lucky he was to have such a warning, for it would remain in his thoughts from here on. I gets bored wiff playing sometimes. But mostly my brovers and me have lots of fun.

His black-tipped tail wagging, Oak gazed up at Haven with a child's stare of fearless curiosity. It was true that he knew little about his older brother, but he liked what he had seen so far. He looked beyond the large werewolf into the lovely landscape behind, that of Cour des Miracles, his curiosity a burning fire. Why you live here now? he questioned, dark eyes returning to the fox-hued wolf. Haven had lived in Crimson Dreams with Mother in the past, and Oak simply wanted to know what had made him leave. Crimson Dreams was the perfect place in the boy's eyes because it was all he had ever known — he had no notion of what it was like anywhere else.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
table by erin

[/html]
[html]

Haven was relieved when Oak seemed mollified by his answer and was happy to hear that to his younger brothers, such things did not seem dreadful. The Knight gave a soft chuckle and ruffled the fur atop the blue eyed boy's head. "No, it's not bad. Just different." It really wasn't the things one had to do when one was all grown up that were bad, it was the way one's perception of the world changed. Innocence was a delicate and rare thing and he hoped that his little brothers could hold onto theirs longer than he had been able to. "Well, when you're older, I'll guarantee you you'll miss being to play so much. I know I do," he said with a wink. Haven often wished he could return to those carefree days, if even only for a short while.

Oak seemed very curious about all the surrounded him and had a thirst for knowledge in his peerless eyes that the Aatte recognized well. The question was a bit of a surprise, but really it was only to be expected. He was the only member of the family who was no longer housed withing the Dreaming borders. "It's kind of complicated, but when I was younger I went through a bit of a rough time and I decided that I needed to move away so I could become the person I needed to be. I do miss Crimson Dreams, but this is my home now and I do love it here." Hopefully for now that answer would suffice. Perhaps someday he would tell Oak the whole story, but it was not for his young ears now. "Would you like a tour? I could show you my house and the stables and whatever else you'd like to see." He had a feeling the orange boy would jump at the opportunity.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

300+

Oak grinned and folded in with pleasure beneath his brother's playful touch. This was the first time he someone had brought words to the strange differences he saw between those of his age and adults, something that until his brother's encouragement disturbed him mildly, and the ill feeling disappeared from his mind instantly. He could not possibly imagine the loss of nearly constant frivolous play, but according to his older brother, he need not fret about it for quite some time. He felt a twinge of pity for Haven when he spoke of missing that freedom, the only indication a falling of his blue gaze away from the jade pools of his brother. At least the man seemed happy enough.

But the boy's expression lit again as Haven began to explain his answer, ears pricking attentively. There was undoubtedly a lot of complexity behind his reasoning that Oak could not yet understand, but he had learned that adults often did things for themselves that seemed shadier than he could grasp. Haven spoke in a way that allowed Oak to accept the answer — it seemed like an exciting ordeal, leaving home to start a new life in a completely different place, although Haven had said that had it had happened because of some difficulty he had faced in his past. Oooh, the boy said softly, nodding importantly to feign complete comprehension. While Oak hungered for details, he was distracted from needling further by an offer that was presently far more enthralling. Really? he cried in disbelief, his charcoal-dipped tail beginning to wag furiously. You'll show me all that? Not only would he be able to see houses and horses and the lands of a wolf pack to which he was unfamiliar, he would be awarded extra time to spend with his brother. Yeah, le's go! The little sapling sprang to his feet, a beaming smile burning his lips, ready to have an adventure.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
table by erin

[/html]
[html]

last post Smile

He was being cryptic in his speech, and he knew it. Oak likely knew it too, but he was also undoubtedly used to adults speaking in codes when there was something inappropriate for his youthful ears to hear. Such habits had perplexed Haven as a child, and here he was doing that exact thing with his brother. Life had come full circle for him. Still, it was much better than the truth at this point. He did not want Oak to know about the beast that his brother's father was, and the unflattering choices that his Knightly brother had made in his depression. This was a more acceptable tale to tell, even if it was shrouded and unclear.

His offer to show the boy around the Court lands did the exact trick that he was hoping it would, and the issue of his departure from the Dreaming pack was quickly forgotten. Haven chuckled heartily at his brother's enthusiasm. "Of course! You're the brother of the pack's Knight, you'll always be welcome to explore these lands. Even more reason that I should show you around first, so you know your way whenever you return." Oak was already up on his feet and ready to go. The Aatte stood back up to his full height and gestured for the boy to follow him. They could start off on foot, and then if Oak wasn't averse to riding Drogon they could transfer to horseback later. "This way!" It would be nice to show his brother around his home and get to speak with him more, make up for lost time.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
---

[/html]