I Need a Mentor
I have roleplayed before and am very active on that site. I am new to this site though and have no idea how it works. I have heard a few things about NPCs and I have never heard of that on the other roleplaying dite I take part in. I also am considering joining Anathema, but I really have no clue about what packs are what. I also have another question. What are luperci and are all characters werecanines? I would really apreciate some help.
Hi thereee! Big Grin
  • NPCs are non-player characters. They're non-primary characters that you don't actually play -- more like companions for your character. :3 From the RP guide, "NPCs are like side characters you can interact with and include in your writing, but that you don't actually play consistently." I'd read over that page I linked there for more information about NPC characters. :3
  • Packs all provide similar perks -- they give you other people to roleplay with, you can play the pack games to earn points which can get you custom icons and titles, etc. Anathema is a new pack and it is typecast thus far as an outsider's pack, one that heavily engages in the occult and voodoo, other semi-magical things to that nature. :3 There's no actual magic in 'Souls, though, so be aware of that. If you're thinking about what packs may suit your character, though, I'd check out the Active Pack Summary. It provides brief information about all the different packs.
  • Luperci are our flavor of werewolf. They don't have human forms; they were born as wolves and they live as wolves. However, they have the ability to attain three separate forms -- lupus, which is just like a regular wolf; secui, which is a larger, heavier four-legged wolf form; and optime, which is your classic two-legged, humanoid werewolf. Not all characters are Luperci -- we have plenty of Non-Luperci characters and you are absolutely welcome to begin playing as a Non-Luperci. Best of all, later on if you decide to make your character a Luperci, it's a relatively simple process. Smile If you're interested in learning more about these guys, I'd read up on the Werewolf Basics section on the RP guide.
I hope that helps to answer your questions! Please let us know if you have any more, and welcome to 'Souls. Hope you enjoy it here. :3
Thanks! That answered my questions. Dont worry, I am definately not afraid to ask more questions. Do you think it would be possible for you to describe voodoo.
Shore. :O Be aware that I am summarizing from this Wikipedia page. :3

It's heavily spiritual -- there is a lot of spirit worship, and voodoo practicioners usually believe in one greater god who does not interfere with daily life, and many lesser spirits which control some smaller part of life (e.g., hunting, the sky, the home, etc.). There's some worship of deceased ancestors, serpent and snake imagery (snakes are associated with "healing knowledge and the connection between Heaven and Earth"), and a fair amount of ceremony (connection and communication with the spirits would be done via rituals, dances, seances, etc.). There's also some superstition involved, too. ^^;

Two beliefs of voodoo very popular in Anathema, at least so much as to be mentioned on their website, are the "cure-all" and "gris-gris." Cure-alls are just what they sound like -- remedies intended to cure anything that ails you. ;3 They're superstitious, of course. And gris-gris, more popularly known as voodoo dolls, are also used within the pack. Usually though they are used for good rather than evil.

Of course, that's what Anathema's conception of it is -- there are a toooon of pages on Wikipedia about various forms of witchcraft, some of which you might want to take on as your character's belief system (if you'd like for your character to have any at all). See here for a list of pages Wikipedia associates with witchcraft. :3

Hope it helps!
Actually the gris gris and the voodoo doll are different. The gris gris is an amulet to protect against evil and brings luck. It is a small cloth bag that a person keeps on them and contains a mixture of herbs, oils, stones, bones, hair, nails, grave dirt, or other personal items. While the voodoo doll is a doll as the name says. There are many different kinds of dolls, usually made to isolate what one wishes to accomplish. Like there is one for love and one for luck and such. Though these dolls can be filled with the same things as the gris gris.
I staaaand corrected. ;O The wiki page there does indeed state that voodoo dolls are a form of gris-gris, but not the only form of it. Sorry for any confusion about that I might've caused there. X3
These are visuals of the forms, this is my character J'adore Austral, made by the amazing Kiri! The Peregrine Falcon is a good NCP example, if you join AniWaya your character goes on a Spiritual Journey to gain a Spirit Guide, which takes on the form of an animal and guides your character in life. But you have to wait a month I think till you can go on the journey. So J'adore hasn't gained his guide yet. But she is a Peregrine Falon called Ptitsa. XD

[Image: th_JadoreRef.jpg]

I drool whenever I see this! Kiri makes J'adore look smexy! Also you may want to get some character info on your profile.Big Grin
Well they can be used for the same purpose but the gris gris is generally kept on a person at all times while the voodoo doll is mainly for spell work. And the confusion could relate to the origin of the word. Where the European version is grou-grou (hence gris-gris) while French is joujou (or juju) which means doll or plaything.
Thanks! The characters in the packs are luperci right? Also, does the character have to be named after your username? One more question for now. It is only one character per account isn' t it? Thanks for going into voodoo and for the description of luperci.
Most characters tend to be luperci. Though there are non-luperci characters in packs as well as loners. It's really just a personal preference and if you make a non luperci character you can still play them out getting infected with the virus, if you decide you would rather they be luperci at a later date.
A majority of characters are Luperci, but we do have a small non-Luperci population. As Katie said, it's really just up to you. This icon [Image: werewolf_icon.gif] indicates that a character is a Luperci, while [Image: wolf_icon.gif] indicates that they are a non-Luperci.

Yes, your account username should be the same as your character's name, and there is only one playable character per account (though you are welcome to control NPCs from any account). If you eventually meet the requirements to play a second character, you will need to register an additional account. If you need your account name changed to suit your character, you can post the request in the Maintenance thread.
Thank you for all of your help. I don't want to seem annoying, but I have another question. How do most people name their characters on this site?
Popular naming trends I've seen over the years include: mythological figures, beings, creatures, names from religious texts, names from popular culture, names from nature or spirituality, etc. Some large families on the board have themes they like to stick to as well, though people can be all over the place as well. There's a bunch of nice naming sites listed in the resources thread here.

This thread here has a lot of people discussing the origins of their characters' names, if you'd like to take a look!
QUOTE (Ouija D'Angelo @ Dec 25 2010, 03:22 AM)
while French is joujou (or juju) [/quote]
Is that's where he gets his name..... I always wondered!
I have another question. Do all characters have last names, or can I say that my character does not know theirs or forgot theirs?
Last names are optional and not required, so yes, that's fine. If you decide your character wants a last name at a later date, that's fine too.
Ok! Thanks! If I have another question I'll post it here!