Small canines
Since I'm getting close to the 45 post mark, I've been planning out a second character. The only problem is, I'd love him to be a Welsh terrier, but terriers are tiny dogs. Will a small dog become more normal-sized (still small, but more... normal) when they shift to optime form? Being uncommonly short myself, I understand how that feels, so it's no problem to roleplay. XD But it would make interacting with other canines difficult for him.
Hmm, well when I write out my character's height, I usually translate their Lupus size to their Optime size. If they're on the small side for Lupus, I assume they would have a small Optime form, too. So I think you're right in assuming a small dog would also have a small Optime form.
I'd say for a Welch Terrier, they'd probably get 3-4 feet in height in Optime form, I wouldn't imagine a dog like that much bigger unless he's mix bred with a larger canine
Random:
NIAN HAS A HOT POTATO.

On Topic:
Check out the Size Chart in the RP Guide.

The lupus form Welsh Terrier can grow up to 15.5 in. (39.5 cm) in height with a weight of 20-22 lbs (9–10 kg).

- The Wolf size range is 60 - 100 lbs (27 - 45 kg) and 24 - 38 in. (61 - 95 cm).
- The Coyote size range is 15 - 65 lbs (7 - 29.5 kg) and 18 - 28 in (46 - 71 cm).
- And the Jackal size range is a tiny 10 - 35 lbs (4.5 - 29.5 kg) and 14 - 24 in (35.5 - 61 cm).

They really would fit right into the Jackal range, then, in terms of height in Optime form, and likely wouldn't have too many disadvantages as long as they were situated to not be excruciatingly small. :3 Have a look at the Jackal mid-ranges in size and you'll see that an 18 in., 20 lb Jackal translates into a 5 ft 4 in (162.5 cm) tall Optime, and a 22 in., 25 lb Jackal translates into a 5 ft 7 in (170 cm) tall Optime. A perfectly reasonable range for the Terrier to fit into.

In other words, it simply means that he would be a touch short for a DUDE, but beyond that he'd be in the average for most purebred Jackal Luperci. :3 Keep in mind, of course, that most of the 'Souls population has mixed blood in them, and may not fit directly into the size ranges I've pointed out. Same can go for your Welsh fellow- if you mix him, he'll probably be taller. :3
Huh, somehow I missed the size guide when I was looking through the RP Guide for it... Weird. Thanks for the detailed information! That's really helpful. It looks like even though he'll be on the short side, he's still taller than me.... I'm a really short dude. I used to work at a summer camp, and my 11 year old campers were taller than me. T_T
No problemo hun. :3 I'm a bit of a stickler for correct sizes, so I stare at the size chart regularly. xD

And hehe, I can relate. x3 At my height, everyone is huge- including my ever growing 13 year old little brother. xD
Canines of different natural lupus forms will translate into a similar size optime. Its comparative size in optime may not necessarily be smaller than another species' optime. Like the size chart page mentions, an average sized coyote and an average sized wolf may have similar optime sizes though their natural lupus are considerably different. However, if the wolf is smaller than average and the coyote is larger than average, the coyote's optime may be slightly larger than the wolf's even if their lupus forms are the same. Does that make sense?

As such, a welsh terrier may not necessarily be THAAAT small compared to wolf optimes, though it would make sense if it were at least a little smaller.