Foreigner [AW]
Quote:OoC: Assume this was made the 21st of January, 2011, at two in the afternoon Nova Scotian time.

Sparse with the sands was the green in summer. Salt filled the air, and so did the cries of a hundred seabirds. She walked among the snow now, Optime-bound, as she found Lupus uncomfortable a skin to wear. Her Lupus form, with its bulk too lithe for a pure wolf alone, was the skin she wore as a turncoat. And she was still a turncoat, yes, but she didn't have to walk around in a way that flaunted it to herself.

The Egyptian wondered about the new land she wandered. The traders had let her off some time ago down the coast, and she had been wandering ever since. That barren, sandy stretch, with its lapping tide and warmth-born, clingy flora in the oddest places, was surprisingly open. Well, it was the sea, of course — it tended to wear down everything in its way — but Rewdeynetya felt like she was staring at a long, open road. Across that blue, she had come from a land where her name was snarled among the angry.

Rewdeynetya, the Turncoat. Rewdeynetya, Shifting as the Moon. Rewdeynetya, Traitor of Traitors. There were many names for those like her, but that new, clean start on that foreign shore would end that. No one would know her face or scent...at least, as far as Rewdeynetya knew. And that time, she would walk with no pack. In her heart, she knew that coastline would be her point of exile; she was reluctantly to go any further. Along the wind, the smells of other Luperci could be smelt, even if they were faint and washed out. Territories, inevitably, were nearby.

All the hybrid could hope for, as she wandered the shore aimlessly, was that she tangled with them no longer. The fight was back among the shores of the Nile, and in her exodus and exile, she had shaken off the river's chains. The new coast and the afternoon were hers to wander anonymously.
[html]

OOC: Hey Smile hope you don’t mind my posting…

Words-478

A cool wind blew up the sandy beach Jaden was resting on. With it came the wet and salty sent of the ocean. All though the air was not all that warm, the sun gently warmed his heavily insolated dark fur. The feeling was a familiar one Jaden took great comfort in. He had done this many times on the beaches of Alaska during the finest days of the year. The sea offered a beautiful shimmering surface to bounce thoughts off of for as long as he wished, though this was not what he was here for. Jaden had spent so much time wondering about what he should do and who he was since his escape from Uva Atka, that he was taking a break. The sand was comfortable and his fur warm. All he wanted to do was enjoy this until he had to break the serenity for another challenge of life. His lungs filled with the calm air and he concentrated on insignificant things.

Gulls were flying overhead and squawked at each other. Their weightless drifting was enough to keep the Optime’s mind from wandering for a while. One flew into the sun as Jaden watched and caused him to raise his hand to block the harsh rays.

The sight of his maroon hand made him realize again that he was still in his Optime form. The feeling of disgust still lingered from years of believing he had been cursed with this body. That he himself was an abomination. But with no one who really cared what he looked like, whether he was alive, or what form he was in, it was difficult to care much about it for himself.

He watched the scene for a time that became undefined. Only when he noticed a figure walking down the beach in his general direction, did his mind finally surface from his time of comfort. Jaden was far up the beach, at least sixty feet from the waves because of a deep fear he held for the dark water, so he figured he might be slightly hidden. The new person he had his eyes trained on was clearly not fully wolf, so Jaden instantly felt annoyed at the sight of another coyote hybrid. But as she grew closer he realized she was not coyote, but some sort of canine he was unfamiliar with. She did not look to have the dirty blood of a domesticated human pet either. Her fur was different than anything he had ever seen or heard of. Jaden was so mystified by this new part of the scenery that he could not bring himself to speak. He just watched as she moved closer and felt for the dagger on his shoulder strap. He did not know if she was a threat and it was too late for him to stand and arm his bow.

<style>
.jaden-t51 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.jaden-t51 p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.jaden-t51 b {color:#181913; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.jaden-t51 {background-color:#B3B4A8; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011feb/jaden.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525344; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; }
.jaden-t51-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
.jaden-t51 .inner {margin:0px 10px 163px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none dotted dotted dotted; border-color:#313229;}
.jaden-t51 .wordcount {color:#181913; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:2px 10px; border-top:1px dotted #181913; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase;}
</style>[/html]
Quote:OoC: Not one iota do I mind. Smile

The golden-pelted foreigner lifted her small muzzle to the sky. She had heard his footsteps, caught his scent too late as the wind shifted. She half-glared, half-gazed lazily, having not wanted her solitude to be broken. Her ears pulled back in the typical wolf's expression of suspicion, her eyes narrowing. The territory was claimless, packless, responsibility-less. Like her, it was alone. Rewdeynetya wanted to keep it that way, but alas, she had no control over another's free will. Then again, considering the implications of such, she would rather not want to.

It looked as if Rewdeynetya would take offence to the presence of the other Optime. However, she merely turned away, slowly walking on all forms as if she were in a Halfling's body. There was almost a sauropod-like movement to her figure, her head bobbing with every step, as if she were trying to match a Lupus's movements to another body. It was simply force of habit, having spent so much time in the feral body in her homeland. Just as the northern one had felt ashamed of his Optime, Rewdeynetya felt shame towards her Lupus. Then there was the paranoia of that form being recognized....

She didn't look back, that creature Jaden had never seen. Not one acknowledgement, glance or otherwise beyond that stare of suspicion. It would be up to him to follow the Nile's former inhabitant, or keep to his own business and keep staring at the sea. Rewdeynetya would keep moving as long as she could, either way.
[html]

OOC: Sorry for the shortness of post Sad

Words-260

Jaden would have left the stranger alone, for it was obvious to him that she wanted to be left that way. But he was so intrigued by the female and the look she had bid him that he could not stop watching her foreign movements. The look was what mostly caught Jaden’s mind. That look of suspicion. If she was suspicious of Jaden, why had she not said a word? Why had she not investigated him in this unclaimed territory? Since Jaden had not seen a canine of her liking, he was also convinced that she was not from any place close. So the Alaskan wolf stood and began to slowly follow her up the cool coast as he thought.

While he pursued her, he made no attempt to mute his steps. He wanted to be noticed. The Optime could not figure out a solid reason why he was following the eye-catching hybrid so he hoped she would stop and acknowledge him. The real reason he followed and not one he acknowledged was his want to stay distracted. He didn’t wish to think of the wolf he still had to kill, or what he could possibly do with his life afterward. So he thought of her and sped his walk so he could catch up the small distance ahead of him she had gained.

Jaden had a general dislike for canines smaller than himself. Minute feeling about their in superiority to him still rang ture, but he put those aside as he approached this luperci.

“What is your name?” He asked as he got close. Jaden wasn’t sure what else to say.

<style>
.jaden-t51 {background-color:#B3B4A8; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011feb/jaden.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525344; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; }
.jaden-t51 .inner {margin:0px 10px 163px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: none dotted dotted dotted; border-color:#313229;}
.jaden-t51 .wordcount {color:#181913; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:2px 10px; border-top:1px dotted #181913; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase;}
</style>[/html]
Quote:OoC: WotD 1 pt. Attempt: "Vulpine"

So, she was being followed.

Her ears, more pointed than a wolf's but not as long as a coyote's, swivelled backwards. She looked, watched as the male padded close, curiosity alight in his blue eyes. Why were they so blue in the first place? Since the mutation that made dogs into dog-men, the eyes of many had changed. Amber was no longer the common norm; irises of myriad colours were worn by many a canine. Tinted windows to the soul, only because of a man-killing disease. Children of the apocalypse, indeed.

She turned away, and continued to walk. Why she was being followed, she did not know, although the male seemed curious. Rewdeynetya figured he had never seen a jackal-blooded before; in the New World, jackals did not exist. Instead of jackals, there was the wily coyote, ever present and competing with wolves to survive. All of that was according to the traders from before, and also according to them, prejudice was rampant. Some were worried she might be mistaken for a coyote, but her coat had too much of a golden sheen. Coyotes, as far as she knew, coloured redder.

"What is your name?"

The question was simple, harmless even — but the question could also be for a more vulpine, vulgar purpose. The turncoat, no stranger to innocent questions, turned her head again. Still on all fours, she turned to half-face him.

[html]

"هَل تَعْرِفُنِي؟"
("Do you know me?")

[/html]
[html]

Words-260

More cool air moved up the beach as Jaden spoke, rustling his fur slightly and doing the same to the golden-coated canine. Her sent was stirred into the swirling air, something that was again very new. From this close, Jaden could actually analyze the Jackals fur. She had a golden hue he had never seen that seemed to darken the farther toward the ground he looked. It was not as thick as his fur and much fluffier along her neck. Her claws seemed black and eyes were amber. She almost seemed to match the sands of the beach she stood on.

Jaden was slightly embarrassed when the female turned and spoke to him. He had failed to foresee that someone who was not from around ‘Souls might not speak the local language. The language she spoke was just as foreign to Jaden as her body type. He listened closely, but he didn’t even pick up a familiar word. So the wolf looked for inflection. It sounded slightly like a question. So, with what he knew from her want to be alone, he figured it was hostile. Maybe something along the lines of, “Who wants to know?” or, “Do we know each other?”

“We have not met, but my name is Jaden.” He said as intense amber boar down on him. “I don’t recognize the language you are speaking,” He added looking away and rubbing the back of his neck. “Do you speak English?” He said bringing his gaze back to hers. He hopped she could speak the only language he knew.

<style>
</style>[/html]
Quote:OoC: WotD 1 Pt. Attempt: "Vulpine"

That same intense amber became thoughtful. Wary. Slightly curious. The eyes flickered to the side, then back to Jaden.

"Correct," she answered. "I speak the English language with fluency. What you heard was called 'Arabic' by Man. It's not of use to you in these parts."

An arrogant sentence, perhaps almost aloof? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. A vulpine trick, meant to confuse him while she walked off? ...Not really. In fact, the matter-of-fact statement seemed quite out of place. Old habits loosening her tongue? A vague area when it came to yes or no. She was too used to talking, perhaps. All she knew was that she had just sounded like an utter smart-aleck.

"Why is it that you have stopped me?" asked the jackal-wolf, turning around to properly face the male. She held herself with confidence, staring at him unflinchingly, neutral but with a bored sort of bias. "If this is packland I find myself on, then I shall remove myself as soon as I can. However, I was told it was free to wander on, and that the two packs that border it are not for a few more hours. Unless, of course, I am mistaken further?"

Surprisingly, that bout of speech had been the longest someone had got out of her in a few days. Rewdeynetya might have remained silent, but the question needed to be asked. Perhaps the amount of other-musk that had swarmed the area was the result of getting too close to a gathering place? If so, she needed to make haste and get out of there. She would rather not stare down a horde of territorial dog-beasts in a land she barely knew.
[html]

Words-320

Arabic, she had called it. The language Jaden had not recognized was, like most, adopted from its human creators. The thought of humans put more questions on the Optime’s mind. Not about them though, he had no interest in the history or acts of an extinct species. No, it gave him more wonders about her. As far as Jaden could see she was unarmed and carried nothing. He carried a dagger and bow with arrows on him almost all the time in this unclaimed land. The female herself did not look either intimidating or dangerous. But she was from a different part of the world, so Jaden kept in mind that she did not need a weapon to be dangerous. No one really did. They just needed to know how to make their body a weapon.

These thoughts made Jaden set a hand on the lower part of his shoulder strap where a dagger was sheathed. It was not a sudden or hostile movement, but one that comforted the wolf. It was subtle and accompanied with a shift of his weight from one paw to another.

She had dodged his question of her name, but he felt that was because she might still be determining if he was hostile or not. Jaden was happy that she could speak English though. “I haven’t heard the language, so it probably would not do me any good if I could speak it.” He said neutrally leaving out that he was no good at learning other languages anyway. “Don’t worry about the packs around here. They are very docile. I just got out of that life, so I am not part of them. It’s much easier to worry about yourself.” Jaden said with a smile. “I stopped you only because I have not seen anyone like you. You have a beautiful coat color,” He complimented kindly, “and a body that is unfamiliar to me.”

<style>
</style>[/html]
Docile? Well, if that wasn't a comforting thought. The pack as a whole might be docile, but that was better to shield its more aggressive members. Rewdeynetya would commit the comment to mind, but there was no proof for her to convince herself it was true. If she ever saw a packlander for herself, only then could she say the black one's words were true.

Quote:“I stopped you only because I have not seen anyone like you. You have a beautiful coat color, and a body that is unfamiliar to me.”

A beautiful coat? An unfamiliar body? He teased her with his words. Her barely-visible eyebrows rose, and the jackal-wolf gave him an incredulous, if not bored, look. "Correct. My body type would not be familiar to a northern canid. I am from somewhere very far from here; only a literate wolf might know its name. You are about as foreign to me as I am to you."

That was only partially the truth. She had seen northern wolves before — her father was one of them — but never those of the New World. European wolves were more solidly, heavily built, and with skulls shorter and stouter than their cousins'. Rewdeynetya had that square build in her own muzzle, tapered off by the graceful jaws of her pale-pelted mother. Pointed, wide ears flicked lazily, her tail drooping slightly. It kept itself that way, through self-control and practise, as she noticed the male's hand was on a knife-sheath.
[html]

OOC:

Words-

Her comment stung him a little. The dark Alaskan was quickly beginning to regret stopping this coyote-like stranger as she seemed very intent on not giving him much in the way of… anything. With his questions that were being dodged, he had only learned that she could speak English. Now she was also assuming he was illiterate as well. Jaden had spent a year honing his basic reading and writing skills. He had also learned about lands across the sea that were home to canines different from coyotes and wolfs. Europe, Africa, and Asia were names merchants near the lower coast of Alaska had for such places. She was right about Jaden’s lack of knowledge past that though. He had no names for the separate territories in these vast lands that hand offered his former the very metal that his favorite blades were made from and the dagger her carried. She spoke to him arrogantly and, as his first impression of wolves from other continents, Jaden was beginning to think they were no better than American coyotes and didn’t bother correcting her miss judgment of him. Nevertheless, Jaden tried again to speak with her, maybe to lighten the mood this time, “So,” He said shrugging and taking his hand from his dagger. He had noticed her eyes dart to it. “Will you give your name to this illiterate wolf?” He smiled. “Or would you like me to refer to you as… good looking foreigner?” The Optime grinned. Even if he could get some kind of emotion out of her, whether it was anger or embarrassment, his breath thus far would not have been wasted.

<style>
</style>[/html]
Quote:OoC: WotD 1 Pt. Attempt: "Thimblerig"

What came next wasn't a surprising comment to her to hear.

Quote:“So,” He said shrugging and taking his hand from his dagger. He had noticed her eyes dart to it. “Will you give your name to this illiterate wolf?” He smiled. “Or would you like me to refer to you as…good looking foreigner?”

"Clever," she said, with a hint of a smile that showed she was unimpressed. "You should know I meant nothing offensive when I meant to say that only literate wolves know of my country. It is a very far, very southern land that beasts have nearly died trying to reach. My presence on this shore is because of sheer, dumb luck.

"As for my name...."

She thought for a minute, that thought evident on her face. Her amber eyes flickered upwards as she bit her lower lip.

"You would forget it. It is not something special to share. If 'good-looking foreigner' is your name for me, then by all means, call me by my looks. Short of trying to thimblerig it out of me, I don't introduce myself very often. The company of others is often not in my general direction."

She turned, and began to walk again. Her postured showed relaxation, as, despite the wolf's armaments, she saw him as no threat. He only looked interested in something he was unused to; very well, then.

"You may follow me, if you wish, and we may converse. Do not expect much, as I talk very little. Silence is my habit."
[html]

OOC:

Words-

Jaden smiled as the foreigner turned and began to find her way back up the beach. She was interesting, not too far from beautiful, and obviously not interested in knowing Jaden. This realization was not disappointing because it had been blatantly clear since they had begun to converse. In different circumstances, Jaden would have followed her up that beach. Questions would have come poring from his maw for long while, as he would try desperately to get to know her and to get her to know him.

That would not happen today though, and they probably wouldn’t see each other after this, so he figured it never would. The loss of his family and old life was too fresh for the Optime to build any friendly relationship yet anyway. He let her go without any further pestering. “No, I have a prior engagement.” He doubted she cared either way. “But it was nice to meet you.” He called as she walked further up the beach. “Enjoy your walk and, if we meet again, I would like to learn your name-” The Sea lapped at Jaden’s paws and cut his words off abruptly as he flinched from the cool contact. The upper shore called of safety from the dark water and his fear of it pushed him up the beach a few steps before he turned and watched the brown and creamy colored female again. He wondered if she would even respond to his request.

<style>
</style>[/html]