Surname Question
Regaurding the last name of a character, how would one choose between each parents name?
I could only assume that the male would provide a last name for a child since this is how it works for a married couple in the real life. But I was wondering if it mattered or if anyone had some advice. I have seen some mashing of two names as well as diversity of the last names.

Thanks! Big Grin
>.>;

<.<;

-jumps on fae.-
Individual characters/players pretty much follow whatever convention they'd like.

I used to do it that female puppies take their mother's surname and male puppies take their father's surname, but my most recent litter had two daughters, so we just split it one for one. Doesn't really matter. XD
I do it by what sounds better or what the parent would want. If it's a single mother raising pups, she might not give them the dad's last name? With Naniko's litters I went with Marino on some and D'Angelo on some. I tend to go first by what my character would do and then by how the name sounds to me.
Niro has 3 pups and not one of them is a takekuro, Lolita was selfish >Big Grin well that's the way it worked in RP standards anyway lol
Lolita gave all three of her puppies the Monroe surname because Niro did not know about them until they were a month old and she intended to be the only one raising them. Since that was the case... Why give one of them a surname she had no ties to and didn't plan on them having ties to, either? :3

Off-board litter, Vigilante and his sister were both Haskels because it was the naming convention in Kaktowik (father's last name), and his sister's children were all Haskels as well, because their father was only a sperm donor. Lolita later adopted a different surname of her own choosing.

Noah Haskel and Liam Catori both flow (Noah Catori and Liam Haskel sound less... flowy lol) and that way there was one of each.

Princess and Haven... I think we just went with what sounded best. xD The two more earthy names (Linden and Robin) adopted Aatte and the more pristine name (Felicity, and would have been Tristan if there were four) took on Chance. Not only do Linden Aatte, Robin Aatte, and Felicity Chance all flow better than if they were the opposite, it also fit the parents' personalities, sort of.

SO. It's all personal choice. Big Grin
With AniWayan tradition, they choose which surname to name their family under when "marrying", so the family has the same surname. Though, the surname could be the female's or the male's - doesn't matter. I didn't choose the Amara name, but Dawali's kids were made before Dawali himself was, and alliteration is awesome: Asha Amara, Aiyanna Amara.

With Mew's kids I chose what was more beautiful, but I left the father's name completely out of the equation since he was a douche and left her. I named two kids as "Sadira", but one last kid as "Soul" in honor of Haku, since Mew was innocent and naïve and didn't know that Haku, too, was a douche ;D In total, 5 of her kids were named "Sadira" and two "Soul", depending on the sound of it :3
I realllllyyy... literally have no pattern to surnaming my character's kids? >_>

Most of Kaena's kids are Lykois because, well. Because she is a crazy lady. >:| Tbh the only litter where I evenly split surnames with someone would be her litter with Ahren; I did half Lykoi, Mel did half de le Poer. Tongue The rest of her children all got stuck with the Lykoi surname because Kaena is a crazypants and such. Rurik's family all got the Russo surname because most were made off-board. >_> Eris's kids got Eternity + D'Angelo because she did not want to name any of them Lykoi, and also ETERNITY SURNAME IS NOT AROUND ENOUGH, and also she sort of wants to shove them toward D'Angelo heritage.

So, yes! Totally personal preference. Definitely good to work it out with the other player and see! Big Grin
Thanks all of the above! :O
I think we will go with the prettier sounding combinations or boy and girl from mommy and daddy. <33
QUOTE (Kaena Lykoi @ Feb 3 2011, 06:52 PM)
Rurik's family all got the Russo surname because most were made off-board. >_> [/quote]
Silas is just SPESCHUL~! Big Grin