Can I Ask About the Past?
Ookami had recently been booted up to Senex. He was excited about this but he wanted to know more about the past and the territories aroung Phoenix Valley. He thought it would be best to consult the Patriarch for this information. He knew a little bit about Phoenix Valley, but he wanted to know a lot. If Jefferson couldn't help than he would see to Adonia for more.

He sniffed the air, catching Jefferson's sceant he followed it eagerly. He was in his regular form and he was thinking about shifting but decided against it. He still hadn't worked out all the kinks. He followed Jefferson's trail until he finally came into view. He dipped his head and smiled, "Jefferson? I was wondering if you could tell me more about Phoenix Valley? If you don't have the time or don't want to that's fine. But I just wanted to do some research."
[html]

Make sure in the future that you ask before starting private threads with people, okay?

He had been standing outside the barn, single hand on his hip, glaring up at the debris. He did that sometimes, often several times a day, as if his glare would will the barn into shaping itself back together. The brute had told his members that repairs would not ensue until spring when the most of them could handle the work and the brunt of the cold weather had passed, but having to pass the collapsed barn and roofless ranch house was a stressor to the male each time he passed them. To say the least, as he glared at the debris, he envisioned all the work it would take to eventually rebuild, and would thus get lost in his thoughts as to how they would ever actually manage it.

An ear perked at a voice, and the scarred man coolly glanced over his shoulder, raising his brows wearily at Ookami's approach and question. "Hey," he said, turning back to the barn as the Senex questioned on. The history of Phoenix Valley? Well, that was a mouthful.

He thinned his eye, considering the question a moment, then started where he thought it most appropriate. "The Valley was founded about three months before I got here. Its three leaders were all women, and they shared the highest leadership role, broken into different duties. Hel was the warrior and lead guardian; Deuce was the medic; and my mentor Iskata took care of everything else. When she got attacked and incapacitated that winter, she moved me up to take her position then."

A pause. What next? "Deuce left not too long after that, but that was because she hated knowing there was a half-coyote in the leadership ranks. Hel was far gone by then, so basically the Valley leadership didn't even last six months before everything ended up in my hands. A friend of mine and Iskata's son, DaVinci, helped me lead a while into the summer, but by fall he pissed off Gabriel so badly in Inferni that our packs weren't on very good terms for a while. Not that we had ever gotten along at all before that. Around this time Geneva came to us from Crimson Dreams, and I moved into the ranch house."

He began pushing and pulling at beams and splintered wood in the debris with his arm, but when he pulled up a beam to find a crushed horse skull underneath, he dropped it again quickly with a ghastly expression before Ookami could see. "We've had some personal member issues since then, but after Geneva moved up to help me out, not much pack-wise has really happened since the snowstorm and various other things."

<style>
.jeffers-birdsz .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.jeffers-birdsz p {padding:2px 14px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.jeffers-birdsz b {color:#4E5145; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.jeffers-birdsz {background-color:#CDDCE0; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... dtable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #EDF3F4; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#788E94; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:16px; width:418px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 115px 0px; }
.jeffers-birdsz-border {width:420px; border:1px solid #383230; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
Whoops, my bad. Okiie Dokiie!

Ookami smiled as he began. He listened carefully, sitting down on the ground he perked his ears up a little higher. Ookami nodded his head, sketching the names in his mind so he wouldn't forget them. He repeated their names and jobs over and over in his mind until he knew them. Ookami was quite surprised that the leadership didn't last very long, Deuce and Hel both left? He found it strange, why would you leave your home? He was sure there was probably a pretty good reason behind the leaders leaving. He knew quite a bit about Iskata, that she was dead now.. He frowned, he would have liked to know the founders of this wonderful pack.

Ookami grinned as the story came to an end. He didn't really know what to say, should he stay and ask more questions or say thank you and be on his way? He nodded his head, "That is quite a history. Thank you Jefferson.. Just another question? What is it like to be a leader? I have always been at the bottom of the pack and I just want.. to know." He smiled, hoping that Jefferson didn't mind him asking this question, he didn't want to upset him or anyting.
[html]

Welcome to Jefferson giving lackluster answers. lol

At times during his small speech Jefferson turned his one-eyed gaze to Ookami to ensure he was still listening and that he was not babbling on incessantly for no reason; the brute considered briefly how he would have hated if the boy had been feigning interest the whole time, or if he had asked the pack history only as the means to suck up to the leader. Jefferson did not know Ookami well, of course, but the intrigued look in the white male's eyes made the Patriarch believe all he was saying was not in vain. It was not often he spoke of the pack's odd history, and the chances he got to the man did not particularly hold back.

He was questioned on what it was like to be a leader, and for a long while Jefferson did not respond. How to answer something like that, really? He had known leadership for so long now that it was second nature to him, though the scarred man had began his post-Maluki, amnesiac life as a loner, and knew at heart he would always be one. It was evident in the way he carried himself, the way he dealt with problems. The brute trusted his own intellect and instincts first, and chose not to truly believe the words of another until he had experienced what they had for himself.

"Tedious," he said, pushing and pulling at wooden beams once again. How on earth would they ever repair the barn and ranch? Jefferson knew nothing about carpentry. "You're higher in the ranks now, Ookami, you know that, but don't expect to experience the highest leadership anytime soon. Just do your duties and don't worry about it."

His reply was gruff, perhaps, but to the point. Jefferson might have given a lot to return to the old days when Iskata ruled over him, when not all final decisions had to be his. He could have technically returned to those days whenever he wanted, forcing someone else to rule Phoenix Valley, but he did not. Iskata had left it to him, and since then the pack had become dear. It was not a pack to Jefferson. It was a home for a loner like he.

<style>
.jeffers-birdsz {background-color:#CDDCE0; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... dtable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #EDF3F4; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#788E94; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:16px; width:418px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 115px 0px; }
</style>[/html]
Ookami nodded his head at his response. Then he felt a little foolish with his next comment, but he gave a quick nod of his head again, "Yes sir. I was just... wondering." He smiled and shuffled his feet a bit on the ground, "Thank you for the information Jefferson. And thank you for allowing me to stay on your land. I never really got to thank anyone for it, so I guess now would be the best time. I have had a great time in Phoenix Valley and I can't imagen living anywhere else." He gave him another smile. He meant the words he spoke.

Ookami was quite surprised he had been accepted the way he was. This kind of reaction from other wolves was not at all what he was expecting. Nearly everyone had been kind to him, not showing him any attitude or getting angry with him. He thought of Lucifer and he angered a bit. "So I suppose you know about Lucifer." It wasn't much of a question, a statement rather.
[html]

An ear perked at Ookami's rather modest reflection on his place as a Valley member. Had he been thanked to stay before? Probably, at some point or another, but never in a way that it had stood out to him. On the other hand, he'd expressed a similar gratitude to Iskata Sadira once upon a time, though at that time Jefferson had not planned to stay. He had never foreseen himself as a member, nor eventually her successor, someday. He'd never expected to be on the other side of that feeble thank-you.

Ookami spoke earnestly, though, and the cyclops could appreciate it. "Sure," he said quietly, unsure of how to take such gratitude. Jefferson simply allowed him to stay there and watched over the pack; it was Ookami who had decided it was his home.

It took considerable effort not to harden completely at the mention of Lucifer. Jefferson clearly tensed up, but with a deep breath he released that tension back to the air, allowing his shoulders to sink. "He and I go back," the cyclops sighed, raising his scarred fingers to rub at his weary eyes. "I have a feeling the reason he's been tormenting us here is more to piss me off than to upset his son."

<style>
</style>[/html]
Ookami smiled at his small comment to the thanks he had just shared. He thought about his time that he had spent in Phoenix Valley. It had not been long.. at least it didn't feel like it. Time seemed to fly by here in the Valley. Ookami had been promoted to Senex. Him and Adonia were getting closer to becoming mates... well he hoped they were... Jace had been raped... he had been injured. He let out a small sigh, so much had happened and in such very little time.

Ookami was snapped out of his thoughts as Jefferson began to speak once more. He tensed up quite a bit at Ookami's mention of Lucifer. Again the wolf's name sent anger twirling through his veins. His lip quivered, he wanted to snarl at the thought but it probably wouldn't be the best idea around Jefferson. He didn't want the leader to become angry with him.. Ookami nodded his head at Jefferson's words.. "I just hope he doesn't try to strike again." He used lots of sarcasm on the word strike, his voice a tinged with sickened feelings.
[html]

"I will be the one to take him down," the one-eyed man growled, the sound horrid and grainy from the depths of his throat. For a moment the cyclops turned his gaze to the sky, thoughts browsing his brain, and a twitch stirred at a tattered ear. Lucifer had no reason to taunt Phoenix Valley in the way he did; never before had Jefferson needed to defend his home so haughtily and viciously, but there would be no resistance in the extermination of the black-furred Sawtooth. Not even the tension with Inferni some time back neared the combination of disgust and blood fury that ran in the Patriarch's veins; he had known from the start that Lucifer was no good, and damn his conscience. He should had terminated of the Sawtooth the first time they'd met as he'd wanted. Iskata was a fool for allowing Lucifer anywhere near, let along in their ranks at all. Deuce was no better.

"We have strong guardians here," the Patriarch said, turning his back on the barn. The brute stepped past Ookami, gazing out on the land he had called his for so long, a nearly loving glint in his eye. "Stronger and more numerous guardians now in this land than ever before. If he strikes again, we will be there. He will not live to see another winter."

<style>
</style>[/html]
+3

Ookami nodded his head. Jefferson said he would take down Lucifer. Ookami didn't doubt for one second that the male wouldn't be capable of doing that. Ookami was not scared of Jefferson... he respected him. Although he tried his best to not do anything to make him angry, that was because Ookami knew it would not be a smart decision. He heard a growl escape from Jefferson and Ookami nodded his head. He was glad that Jefferson didn't have to think twice about wanting to bring down the black devil. Ookami would definatley help him should he need it. Though Ookami doubted that the brute would need help. A mental smile flinders in his mind. The idea of Jefferson needing help was amusing to him. The small amusing feeling was quickly replaced by anger though. Lucifer would pay for what he had done.

He watched as Jefferson stepped past him to look over his lands. He turned his body so he was facing the Patriarch. He too let his eyes stretch over the barn. He remembered when he had found Adonia here. He had been panicking alot. He thought his beloved Adonia was almost dead. The sight of her arm was one that still flashes before his eyes. Jefferson's words rang out. Stronger guardians than ever before. This was good. The pack would need them to defend against the black devil by the name of Lucifer. "I will certainly help patrol the borders and what not. You just give me the word." His words ended in a snarl. The idea of running into Lucifer sent angry jolts flying through his blood. All the words he would say, all the things he would do to the male. He didn't care if he died, so long as he took Lucifer down with him.
[html]

"Just give the word."

Ear flicking, the green-eyed male turned his gaze to the white boy, a smile finally touching the dark scars of his face. He did not know Ookami well, but the Senex had never left a bad impression; Jefferson found himself in awe of the boy's dedication and welcoming nature time and time again, always interested in all that others never seemed to be. How many of his members had asked him for the pack's history over the years? None. If Jefferson were to die, the only one left who knew that history would be Pendzez. If Pendzez moved on, or fell more scarce than he already was, surely Phoenix Valley would lose the core of itself for good.

"You are this pack's Senex," the cyclops began, eye shifting back to the great Valley he called his own. It was his child, of sorts, the thing he protected most. Like Geneva, like Pripyat, he loved it. It was a home for a loner who had forgotten it, a place that provided him with memories in redemption for those he'd lost. He knew himself to be its guardian, its one-eyed titan that stood like a stone in the wind.

A sigh, almost contented. "The borders are yours to guard. I trust you to see to them well... but do not go alone. Ty or Pendzez would be best to bring along, but the borders are more your responsibility as Senex than anyone else... other than myself."

<style>
.assersonback .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.assersonback p {padding:2px 30px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.assersonback b {color:#6FD230; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.1em #000; }
.assersonback {background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... /back2.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:0px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 10px 0px; }
</style>[/html]
wordcount- 343. +3

Ookami was looking around when Jefferson spoke again. Immediately his head snapped back to Jefferson. He said that it was Ookami's duty to guard the borders and that Jefferson trusted him. He said to not go alone though. Jefferson trusted him. He smiled, he was glad that the leader of his pack trusted Ookami. Sure he had never done anything for the Patriarch to not trust him. Still, the thought made him happy. His face went serious, "I will protect this land with my life Jefferson. As I am sure you would too." Ookami couldn't even begin to think of not protecting Phoenix Valley. It was a thought that you would not catch floating through his mind. Phoenix Valley meant everything to him, the land and its members. If he let any of that go then Ookami just wouldn't be able to live.

Ookami had been going through life, believing that his only purpose in life was to be made fun of until he found Phoenix Valley. Now he knew. Now he knew that his purpose in life was to serve for Phoenix Valley. He would give up his life protecting this place and he would never leave it. Ookami grinned again at Jefferson, "It is truly amazing here Jefferson. You make a brilliant leader and I can't imagine following any other male except you." Ookami hoped that Jefferson didn't think that he was trying to suck up to him. Ookami just felt that those words weren't spoken enough to him. He knew that the members here at Phoenix Valley respected Jefferson but he didn't know if they ever told him what a great leader he was. Plus getting a compliment was something that everyone liked.

He clarified his compliment to male because Geneva had been a leader too. And he gladly followed her instructions. If he said that he couldn't imagine following any other leader then he thought Jefferson would see it as he was overlooking Geneva and he didn't want to do that because Geneva made a brilliant leader as well.
[html]

For the members of the Valley to find faith in him, the cyclops found near-impossible. Ookami made evidence of it, and at the boy's words Jefferson turned a clouded, puzzled gaze to him. Jefferson had been the pack's titan and guardian for the years he had ruled, but was a monster both internally and externally. Ookami did not know the sins his leader had committed, did not know the lives he had ruined or taken altogether. What if the Senex met Gael, or Heath or Miriette? Would he lose his respect, leave the pack?

The leader didn't dare mention it.

"Don't speak too soon, Ookami," the one-eyed brute sighed, turning away. "I've done things I'm not proud of. I lead this pack ... as a placeholder, maybe. Someone like me should never have been given power."

Starting back towards the ranch in a slow, sluggish gait, he waved his arm over his shoulder. "You should get back to your duties. Storytime's over."

<style>
.undonejeffooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000;}
.undonejeff p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.undonejeff b {color:#EADFCB; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.1em #1C2019; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.undonejeff {font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#696157; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:15px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:422px;}
.undonejeffinner{background-color:#BFB6A5; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... onetab.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 175px 0px; border:1px solid #2D2622; width:422px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
Ookami just looked at Jefferson at his words. "We have all done things we are not proud of. The real test comes with accepting our pasts and moving on. You were given the leadership for a reason." His voice was soft and slightly questioning. He didn't ask anymore questions, for he didn't have a chance to. Jefferson started to walk away and Ookami smiled. "See you soon Jefferson."

Ookami didn't know of the things that Jefferson wasn't proud of. And he didn't really want to ask. Like he said, everyone has done things that they aren't proud of. If he asked Jefferson about them then it would mean that Ookami wasn't trying to help Jefferson move on from the past. It meant that he was trying to bring the past to the present. At least in his eyes this is how he saw it. He didn't really care if he ever found out about Jefferson's past. What mattered was the present. And in the present Ookami respected and followed Jefferson.