A step in the right direction
[html]Set at the borders of CdM, early afternoon. Not sure if I like this post, but I wanted to get something up by golly. So...I shall improve in the next post ^_^

The decision had been most of the morning in the making. Her nerves were still trying to convince her legs to run away, but brain wouldn't let them. That morning she'd prepped and given herself a dose of the heroine that held her prisoner. The sight of her dwindling supply terrified her. She had always known that she would eventually run out, but she had wanted to be a part of a pack before that happened. The memories of how horrible it felt when she had gone too long without a dose left her trembling at the thought of what would happen if she had to quit altogether. She didn't want to die. Packs had healers, or at least she thought they did. Maybe they would be able to help her. The logic wasn't necessarily sound, but for the adolescent, the fear of dying ending up dead without having ever had a chance to live was unbearable.

For the fragile girl, the fears had left her headed towards the nearest packlands she could smell. For the socially anxious female, taking such a direct approach had been almost as unnerving as dying was frightening, but she was doing it. She knew nothing about this pack, but she figured if this one didn't seem like a good fit at first, she could check out others. Time was limited, though. She maybe had a week of giving herself bare minimum doses before she ran out, and the thought of what would come afterwards made her pause midstep and shudder. Upon reaching what smelled like the border of this pack, her knees were already knocking. How was she supposed to get their attention again? Howling? Before her escape, simply raising her voice would have resulted in a strike from her master's hand bruising her cheek. Would she be able to do it right? The wind was blowing from behind her, into the strange lands, whipping her hair around. Every passing second left Faryn growing more and more anxious. Her fears were almost making her sick to her stomach. Finally, the honey colored fae grit her teeth, leaned her head back and let out a quick, short, howl. One could scarcely call it more than a loud bark, but it taken a fair amount of effort on the part of the delicate adolescent. Now, all that was left to do was wait.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin

Alder had taken to a routine. It was a good thing; the consistency of the day-to-day tasks that he knew needed to be completed. He did them until he was perfect at it, could do them almost mindlessly, and until they became second nature to him. He was not a determined wolf, no. But he did try and he tried hard to make things as right as they could be. So his small room in Haven and Princess’ cabin was tidy and neat (though there were speckles of dust and perhaps a book laid out on his bed), the stables smelled better these days then they had when he first arrived, and there was always a fresh rabbit hanging outside the cabin door ready for whom ever was hungry. He did those things to earn his place among the pack, and learned everything that a teacher was willing to teach so that he would not be without new things to earn his keep.

The tall male held the rope of the mare’s rope halter and walked easily through the snow. It was a cold day, but not one that would break through the thick coat he owned and not one that would make his worry about the mare. She was still nameless, for she refused to tell him what she called herself. But then Alder figured that she called herself nothing more then me or I. {{Come now}} He asked her in the speech that she knew. Their relationship had grown since Element had taught him the language of prey, and Alder had grown an even great appreciation for those kind of creatures. But she was a quiet creature and fit well with the youth.

The short and soft call made his brown ears fall to his head and his gaze turned in the direction from which it came. He opened his nose to search for a new scent instinctively, and found a feminine fragrance. Young body turned to track it, but then Alder hesitated. The mare did not, and began to walk and follow the scent. The boy didn’t protest but thought of the young doe that was lain across the horses back. Perhaps they were falling into a trap, lured by a soft voice only to be ambushed by a rouge pack and have his small catch and horse stolen from him.

But she was alone, her pale blond form standing against the alabaster snow and he paused with distance still between them. Are you lost miss? He called to her, after a long moment of simply watching her.

<style type="text/css">
.aldernov01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ebeae1; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #525252; }
.aldernov01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#51514f; text-align:right;}
.aldernov01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.aldernov01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#898986; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... rnov01.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 160px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525252; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.aldernov01-border1 {width:462px; border:1px solid #525252; margin:0 auto;}
.aldernov01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px solid #c1c1bf; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

Oh what had she gotten herself into this time. She shouldn't have howled. Now she'd be found for sure, and she wasn't ready for that. What if this pack didn't take kindly to strangers? What if they chased her off, or worse attacked her? The blonde girl couldn't help but fret over the risks of her bold action from a moment ago. Though her call had scarcely lasted long enough to be called a short howl, she was just sure she had sufficiently broadcasted her presence to every wolf, coyote, and non-canine in the world and they were all coming to see what she wanted. Of course, this was ridiculous. Deep down she must have known that, for she remained standing at the border of the pack.

A few minutes passed and the anxious adolescent started to wonder if anyone would come to her call at all. Maybe she hadn't been loud enough. Her delicate hand moved to brush her bangs out of her sapphire eyes. Her gaze peered into the lands before her, searching for any figures in the distance coming to investigate the disturbance she had caused. The possibility of being ignored did not bother Faryn too much, for she could always go investigate another pack, however reluctantly. There certainly were plenty of them to investigate. It would take a long time to visit them all and try to decide in which to seek membership. When she had engaged in her reading lesson with her new friend Krystalle Horzana, the wolfdog had forgotten to ask about the novelist's pack. That could likely be rectified for Faryn had planned to seek out the Horzana woman again for further schooling. No, for now, despite her apprehensions the Tahra girl was checking out this pack today. She needed to find a permanent place to call home, and hopefully the search would not take long.

Another minute passed without her seeing anyone, before a shift in the wind brought the scent of another to her attention. Ears perked, and head whipped around as a male voice addressed her. Was she lost? Well, some might say she was. She had no home, and in truth she did not know exactly where she was, but that didn't make her lost. After all, she'd purposefully sought out this pack's borders. That had to count as not being lost. A hand moved to adjust the leather satchel slung over her shoulder as her sapphire gaze took in the sight of this young man and the strange beast that followed him. Normally, men were the most intimidating people for her to meet, and considering her past no one would blame her. But this male seemed polite and proper. He'd called her Miss, and though it was not her name, she knew it was a title given to respectable young women. She would not waste her time and correct his error in judgement, for despite her desires she was anything but a proper young woman. The satchel at her side held the very symbol of her defilement.

That was enough of that self-pity nonsense. She'd left this male standing without a response for a few seconds to long. Surely that was very rude of her. "N-no sir, I-I'm...not lost. I...just wanted to l-learn about this pack,"she stuttered nervously. Her reasons why were hers and hers alone, but she doubted she would keep her true motives secret if pressed. She needed the help of a pack healer, or she would die. She was sure of it! She couldn't afford to make bad first impressions.

[/html]
[html]

hes not much of a talker lol

He was nothing but a boy, lost in the body of a man. He was taller then the horse, by far, who was only a little larger then what could be called a pony. His shoulders were broad and he knew that the mask that crossed his face made him look like he was hiding something. But Alder had nothing to hide, he had nothing that he couldn’t tell anyone if they wished to know it. Black footpaws moved slightly in the snow, antsy as he watched the female. She was small, slight of shape like Princess was. Her blond hair waved in the cold air and feathered in a way he had not seen before. Despite the distance that he kept he could see the bright blue eyes that she held.

Alder waited patiently, not feeling that the seconds she took were anything odd at all. He actually favored that instead of someone who bombards the moment with too many words and making him self-conscious since he was quiet as well. To ponder over his words before they were spoke was something he always did.

Her return was slightly surprising for the youth, for he didn’t consider himself an ambassador for the pack of mutts. He was nothing in truth, a hunter at times and then a stable boy at others. He had only begun living here after his mother sent him away from Crimson Dreams to find himself. His touched the sun pendant on his chest and then walked a few steps closer. Well, He started, unsure exactly what he should say to the fey. its called Cour des Miracles. It’s a nice place to live. He said then cleared his throat. He and the bay mare paused at that bit of awkwardness and left a small distance between them and looked a bit embarrassed for he didn’t know what else to say in such a situation.

<style type="text/css">
.aldernov01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ebeae1; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #525252; }
.aldernov01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#51514f; text-align:right;}
.aldernov01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.aldernov01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#898986; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... rnov01.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 160px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#525252; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.aldernov01-border1 {width:462px; border:1px solid #525252; margin:0 auto;}
.aldernov01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px solid #c1c1bf; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html] Thats okay, she's not much of one either

Cour des Miracles, the name sounded rather sweet on her ears. She would have to try repeating it out loud, because it sounded like it would be enjoyable to say as well. However, she could not make a decision about joining the pack from simply the name and a statement of its nice-ness by a member. She'd might as well come out and ask for the one thing she really would need. Sapphire eyes diverted from the male down to the pale white of the snow at her feet. This question could possibly open up numerous questions that she did not want, but it needed to be asked, "Are any of your members healers? I-I'd need to join a pack with a healer." Her demeanor showed how absolutely ashamed of herself she was. Ideally it would not be her first desire to join a pack just for the fact that they had a healer, but it really was the most important thing. If she didn't end up working out as a member, then perhaps at least she would be able to get the healer to help her get her body healed from its addiction.

Despite the anxiety she felt over what seemed to her like a cross examination of this male's pack, Faryn had managed fairly well so far. Her words were fairly clear, and she'd managed to keep her stuttering to a minimum. Maybe she really was growing braver every day. She had yet to notice any change in herself, but if an observer were to compare her mannerisms today to those from a week prior they would have been more than pleased with the change. The fragile mutt was obviously improving.

As she stood there, waiting for the young man's answer, a thought flashed through Faryn's brain that made her ears perk in shock at her own rudeness. Here she was virtually 'demanding' information about a pack and she hadn't even been courteous enough to state her name. Surely this was a horrid mistep on her part. "I-I'm sorry...but I f-forgot to introduce myself. I'm Faryn Tahra," she stammered, wishing she had remembered her introduction earlier so she could have tacked it onto her question rather than have it following an awkward pause.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin tralalala

His brain tried and tired again to find something else that he could have said, and of course all the good ideas came only after he had spoken. He wondered what his problem was, but then again he had been wondering that for just about all his life. Ever since he had been old enough to see that he was not like his cordial and out going brothers. He was only just understanding that not everyone was the same, and as happy go lucky or as brave and adventurous as Oak and Cypress. He was simply different, his very own.

The tree named wolf watched her, inching slightly closer as she began to speak but then halted when she asked bluntly for whom she sought. He was so taken aback that he paused long enough to catch her name as she introduced herself. I don't know, he confessed, looking down at the ground. A custom they both practiced, for gathering courage perhaps. I have only just moved here. I live with my brother Haven, he would know. His words were slightly rushed, trying to think of all the pack members he had met. Niro would know as well, he had been here for sometime. But he had not met any healers. Are you hurt? she did not smell of blood, but there was something, distant and slight but it hung around the woman like a fog. Maybe sick?

Alder watched, waiting for her answer with a sincere concern. He was filled to the brim, forgetting that he should also give his name in return. Instead he turned to the mare, speaking quietly in the speech he knew she would understand. You've had a rider before, right? Alder spoke to her, thinking that perhaps if she needed to the traveler could ride her to Haven's. His brother was older and more experienced, he would know what to do with the woman if she was hurt.

<style type="text/css">
.aldermarch03 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e0deda; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #030302; }
.aldermarch03-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#030302; text-align:center;}
.aldermarch03 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.aldermarch03 {margin:0 auto; width:480px; background-color:#a1a29c; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... arch03.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #030302; padding: 0px 0px 125px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#030302; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:.8x; line-height:12.5px; text-align:justify;}
.aldermarch03-border1 {width:484px; border:1px solid #e0deda; margin:0 auto;}
.aldermarch03-line1 {width:450px; border-bottom:1px solid #b3b3b1; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

Poor Faryn...heck poor Alder...he had no idea that such a simple show of concern would unleash such a flood of emotions. Poor dude lol

Her ears flattened for a moment when the male confessed to not knowing the information she sought. Was she going to have to look elsewhere, and try to get in touch with another pack? Oh, she didn't want to do that again. She'd barely managed to keep from turning tail and running this time. Next time, it might not be so easy. Then there was the fact that she was almost out of time. Her drug was dwindling to the point where her doses would need to be smaller and smaller in order for her to keep from having too much pain. In no time she'd be completely out and she'd need a healer to help her...or at least someone. It didn't necessarily have to be a healer. If they even knew basic first aid that would be alright.

The blonde girl was so absorbed in her worrying that she almost did not catch the male's inquiry. Was she hurt? Now there was a difficult question. Technically, from a physically wounded point of view, she was not hurt. She knew she would be hurt or at least hurting if she ran out of drugs, but that didn't really count did it? However, she did not want to risk giving a false answer and being turned away from any future assistance she might have to ask for. Plus, this male sounded genuinely concerned. Maybe she could tell him...maybe he wouldn't judge her like she feared others would. "N-no, not really. I just...might be hurt in the next few days, and I'm afraid that I might need a healer and not be able to find one," she replied, her head hanging slightly, bangs draping in front of her eyes, "I have...a bit of a problem. A month or two ago, I became...addicted to a drug. Someone forcibly injected me with whatever substance is in this bag," she shook the leather satchel,"on a few occasions, and then...my body started to hurt when I hadn't been given any. It got to the point where I had to beg and plead for it. Then...one day a couple weeks ago, I found the person who subjected me to this fate, dead with this bag and a needle on the table next to his body. I'm not sure how he died...b-but I'm afraid that I'm going to die too. I-I've managed to keep the pain away by giving myself injections...but...I'm almost out. I'm scared that my body's so dependent on this stuff that without it...I'll die." She'd left out some of the details that might have better explained her ordeal, such as the fact that she had been abused all her life, sold into slavery, raped and then finally addicted to the drug so that her addiction could be used to control her. She blamed herself for her problems...she'd always been made to think that it was all her fault. The real truth was that it wasn't. She hadn't even lived a full year yet, and already she had experienced more pain and suffering than perhaps half of the individuals her age would experience in 3 years or more.

A few tears dripped off of her down turned muzzle, hitting the cold snow at her feet. What a pathetic waste of fur she was. She didn't really deserve to be part of a pack. This place, despite the few details she had been given, was a nice place to life probably full of nice people. They didn't need her. Why was she wasting this male's time?

<style type="text/css">
.FarynTahrareq01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#746062; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #c7a4a8; }
.FarynTahrareq01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#eedad8; text-align:center;}
.FarynTahrareq01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.FarynTahrareq01 {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#c7a4a8; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... hra001.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #eedad8; padding: 120px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#eedad8; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12.3px; text-align:justify;}
.FarynTahrareq01-border1 {width:454px; border:1px solid #746062; margin:0 auto;}
.FarynTahrareq01-line1 {width:420px; border-bottom:1px dotted #746062; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

yeah, he has no idea what to do, lmao

Alder looked back to the woman as her voice came forth. He stepped closer, concern and a hope to help written on his face and along the lines of his muscular form. He had the growing small parts of a plan to help her, and he was a bit confident that he could find her the help she needed if she was hurt. But then she said she wasn't, and he thought for a moment that perhaps someone was going to come and hurt her. His ears were flat against his skull, unable to hide his emotions well Alder showed his unease across his face. A frown was deep, unsure what he could do now. He was no fighter. The only thing that he knew he would do was tell Haven of this. Though it was not always best to involve his brother and new father, Alder knew that this was one of those times where he would certainly need to.

As Faryn explained a bit more, Alder grew even more confused. The youth had never been told about drugs, his mother had shielded him from such dangers. But he knew that addiction was bad, a vice that he was to stay away from and as her story unraveled and fell into the open cold space between them Alder grew even sadder for the young woman. The winter air seemed to creep under his thick pelt and touch his skin and cause him to chill and wish for the comfort of his home. The story was the most frightful thing he had ever heard in his sheltered life and Alder knew not how to process it.

He didn't understand how you could need something like that, a drug as she called it. It wasn't air or water or even food. None of it made sense in his small world. The mare was as uneasy as he was, her eyes were wide and she pawed at the ground. Alder hadn't the slightest idea of what to say to the woman, he didn't know where there was a healer here and how to save her from this fate. He was quiet for a long moment, then awkwardly replied. I'm sorry that happened to you.

<style type="text/css">
.aldermarch03 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e0deda; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #030302; }
.aldermarch03-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#030302; text-align:center;}
.aldermarch03 {margin:0 auto; width:480px; background-color:#a1a29c; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... arch03.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #030302; padding: 0px 0px 125px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#030302; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:.8x; line-height:12.5px; text-align:justify;}
.aldermarch03-line1 {width:450px; border-bottom:1px solid #b3b3b1; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
[html]

occgoodnessss

Recounting her story, even in part, was never easy. It hurt to talk about it almost as much as it hurt to keep it pent up inside. What she'd told hadn't even been the worst part, and yet the story was still horrible. As the honey girl stood there, gaze downcast, she was doing everythign possibile to keep from breaking down in sobs. She hadn't had the chance to cry it all out yet. Shedding tears had always landed her with a slap on the cheek or worse. The Tahra girl wanted so badly to just let it all out, but her trained response was to simply bottle up her pain.

As she stood there, waiting for any response from the male who stood there, a chilly gust of wind blew past, cutting through her fur to her skin like a knife. Her tensed body shivered for a moment, only to hear the male's reply. His sorrow for her predicament did a bit to lift her spirits. She did not like causing someone else discomfort with her own, but knowing that at least someone felt sympathy for her was an encouragement. Slowly, she raised her head to look at his face, wanting to see if his countenance mimicked his words. Her own blue gaze found in his the same sympathy her ears had found in his words. Her eyes welled up with tears again, but she blinked them back, turning away so as to not let him see her if she cried. "Th-thank you," was all she could manage to say. There really was nothing else to say at the moment. Faryn was too focused on getting her emotions under control to think of anymore questions about the pack. Already she felt herself calming down, such that she did not have to blink back tears anymore. In a moment she would be able to continue on with their conversation, perhaps turning it to a more pleasant note.

<style type="text/css">
.FarynTahrareq01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#746062; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #c7a4a8; }
.FarynTahrareq01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#eedad8; text-align:center;}
.FarynTahrareq01 {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#c7a4a8; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... hra001.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #eedad8; padding: 120px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#eedad8; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12.3px; text-align:justify;}
.FarynTahrareq01-border1 {width:454px; border:1px solid #746062; margin:0 auto;}
.FarynTahrareq01-line1 {width:420px; border-bottom:1px dotted #746062; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

maybe she could run away? to fall in line with your current plot for her?

Though he looked it Alder was hardly the man he had grown to be. He was young still, in heart and mind. There had been troubles that had made him grow up more then he would have liked, but even those decisions were ones that had been eased and cushioned by the support he had from his family. Violence had never touched him, and pain in the like was not something that Alder had experienced. He shied away from anything that resembled it. He was uncomfortable speaking with the female about such a wicked story, even if he could convince himself that it was only a fairy tale he wouldn't wish to think of it. But it wasn't a story of evil and good, it was the truth and the good-hearted character had been left with a terrible weight on her shoulders. Alder watched only for a second as she began to cry lightly. Blue eyes looked away when she did, staring at the snowy ground.

There was silence between them, though the female spoke the words were mere whispers to the boy's ears and did nothing to fill the quiet. He did not have the answer to her problem, and help more helpless then normal. You can come to meet my brother, he would know what to do. It was his only solution for his problems; run to Haven. My name is Alder, by the way. He added, a bit hushed. He had forgotten to introduce himself, so very engrossed in the problems that she had laid out in front of him.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

That's what I was thinking ^_^

The honey colored woman remained standing there as the young male suggested that they go see his brother for help. Then he introduced himself rather quietly, much to her delight. Now she had a name to put with his masked face. However, her confidence was short lived as a wave of anxiety shot over her at the thought of meeting Alder's brother. What if he didn't know what to do? She still needed to go and meet other packs. Plus, she wasn't sure she was comfortable pushing this far into another pack's lands yet, even with a pack member guiding her. What if she met some members who weren't as friendly as Alder and they tried to kick her out? As irrational as this fear was, her fragile psyche still managed to cling to it. "I-It's nice to meet you, Alder, but I think I should probably go for now," she stuttered, retreating back a step nervously, "I-I should be alright for a little while...b-but if I need it...I'll come back for help." her sapphire gaze now turned away as she started to walk off, her pace fairly stiff. It wasn't so much that she was frightened of Alder, far from it in fact, but her irrational fears, and active imagination were starting to give her an anxiety attack. "I-I'm sorry...f-for leaving like this...m-maybe I'll see you again sometime," she called over her shoulder.

By now the wolfdog had broken into an all out run, her delicate, slender form disappearing quickly from sight. Her chest heaved as she tried to calm herself down, but still her anxious thoughts ran through her head, despite her best efforts. It would likely take her until she stopped running to fully calm down, and she didn't want to do that until she felt she was far enough away that she would not be seen for a little while. The poor girl, broken by a life of hardship, had made an improvement today by seeking knowledge about a potential pack home, but she still had a long way to go.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

ill ask Meg to close this ^^

It wasn't the response that the boy was expecting. He had thought that going to Haven was the best solution to this problem, and he couldn't imagine any soul thinking other wise. His eyes grew wide as she spoke, backing up as she told him that their time was done. Alder stood still, like prey that had just heard the soft paw step of a predator. He simply watched the blond woman turn and begin to walk hastily away. No one had run from the young male he had didn't know what to make of it. The mare seemed to care less, and the two creatures stood in silence while the light yellow figure grew smaller on the horizon.

Alder watched until he could no longer see her, and then tried to understand what it was that happened. There was so much sadness in her story, so much cruelty, so much suffering. He wondered for a brief moment if she had been real, running into his life in such a way and the disappearing with the same swiftness. She seemed kind at heart, but that was all he could gauge. The boy turned, the mare following and the two walked back along their trail in silence. Confused and befuddled as always.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]