horses
At Souls we try for realism. When something unrealistic is spotted it is discussed and talked about. Just look at how extensive the RP Guide has gotten because it has been filled with things to make it easier on others to do things realistically. Trust me, I put in my time and effort to research and make sure what I want to do is realistic. I don't throw up things for dramatic effect.
Also, please note that this has turned into a discussion and was split from your thread quite a bit ago. Discussion is good and shouldn't be frowned upon. Smile

I have very little to mention in regards to the horse thing... My only character that has a horse is Vigilante. His horse came from the group of them CdM has and they were extremely wary of one another. He doesn't ride, and his horse lets him touch him, but only a bit. Sooo I don't really have much in the horse-owning bit of the rp. Vigi has a horse, but it's not really a horse and owner relationship, but more of a symbiotic "I guess you're okay and I'm kind of fond of you :|" relationship.
QUOTE (Sakari Amara @ Mar 30 2011, 03:41 PM)
Rose, you must think we are stupid. The thread was never edited.
[/quote]
0_0 That was a little rude for a discussion thread.

And if your second comment was aimed at what I suggested I merely did so to try and help Rose work out a way to get her stallion from the wild. Please don't get so defensive; I meant nothing personal nor hostile.
Chill my people. <3

Agree Syl, the first part of your post was fairly rude -- please mind your manners! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. :3 I did say up-thread that the original thread request post did not need to be edited, but rather that Rose keeps the concepts discussed herein in mind as she actually roleplays with Neo. She might have meant that the thread itself (the posts/order of posts within the thread) was edited, which is correct -- or she might have been referring to the IC thread where Neo is mentioned. Not sure!

But yeah -- when there is something unrealistic in a player's posts or character history or whatever, we will absolutely point it out and discuss it, and it wasn't right to complain about the fact that there's discussion here, either. I mean -- 'Souls is a message board, and this forum specifically is for discussions surrounding RP concepts, realism, yadda yadda. I took that as what Syl meant with the second part of her post rather than a response to you, Rhoni. <3 But as a preemptive warning that goes for everyone: do keep things civil. There's nothing wrong with discussion as long as it remains civil, but if things devolve into nastiness, we'll have to lock and move this thread.

Annnnyway. All of you guys -- your experience with horses is great and this discussion is extremely enlightening! I would, however, like to see some linked sources in addition to your anecdotes and experience. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that it would be great to be able to link to additional sources of information rather than just statements and anecdata about taming horses. ^^ That way, if people want to do additional reading beyond what is simply written in the RP guide article, they can check out the sources (much like how you can read on Wikipedia for some basic information, and then use the sources for more research, if you're writing a paper for school or something).

I don't have a whole lot to contribute to the discussion myself, but re: broken leg -- don't they usually put down horses that have a severe break? :x Or, at the very least, if it heals, isn't the leg prone to lameness, arthritis, and other problems? I think it would be a great idea to have a horse maybe injured or incapacitated if it got found like that, but if you mess with it's legs, then I would just worry about the strain of carrying an adult Luperci on an old injury like that. ^^ Most Luperci are a lot bigger and a lot heavier than the average human (let alone a tiny jockey) so I would think that the repeated strain would cause more problems than if there was a human rider. Buuut, like I said, I don't have a ton to contribute anyhow.

Oh, actually -- one thing I do remember! True albinism does not exist in horses. :3
I was tried to post something, but this thread disappeared and I lost it Sie. So basically:

@Anann: thank you! -nibbles on brownie- You're totally right on everything. 1-2 should be avg. cut off. 4 year is possible though unusual. 3 is the turmulous teenage years indeed! A challenging, irritating, rash, and stubborn, yet bonding age.

@Ykesha: Thank you so much! I got avg height ( for the ranches I worked at ) and smallest mixed up and was a hand off. I'd like to point out in my embarrassment that it was like midnight and I should have slept instead of hopping on. xD Heh.

@Ykesha/Sie: Fractures are possible to heal, though the leg is never the same. Breaking a leg is just better to put down the horse then let it live on in a life of misery for it will never fully heal. I like the idea, however, but it needs a different injury. Try a slashed leg, cut up frog ( part covered by the hoof ), or even a cracked hoof. A cracked hoof would definitely leave the horse behind and can happen from something as small as the hoof is too dry or weak. This is why we humans coat horse hooves with oil, or lotion (not as common), normally every day. Since a hoof is basically their fingernail, it can reheal though it takes time. It is extremely painful for them to have it and would love whoever fixed it, heheh.

@Sie: While you're right, there is no "true" albino, albino is still a color (weird I know but yes). It means a horse with pink skin and white hair, which is not a common color because it's really submissive gene. Also, no such thing as a "white" horse. All that appear white are actually greys. Thought that was interesting.

As for finding links, I can do that tomorrow or later tonight. I'm crammed for time, haha! Maybe others can help out?
Quote:3 is the turmulous teenage years indeed! A challenging, irritating, rash, and stubborn, yet bonding age.
Could not have said it better!

mm I've actually heard it more as a true white is pinked skinned while yes, a black skinned 'white' haired horse is a gray. But that's splitting hairs and it could be just a difference in our locations. Gotta love lingo xD

I will look into some sources Sie! When I happen to find the time.
Indeed! Like how there are no true blacks. It's either blue black, or a really dark brown xD Splitting hairs, funny pun...

ALSO! I CAN LINK SOMETHING! 8D

http://www.sibfox.com/

Now, yes these are foxes, but more importantly, these are Scientists! 8D Okay, I linked this because this experiment with foxes proves that domestication is (kinda) a gene. I say kinda because its actually a hormone gene. Now, look through and it will explain how they've conducted their experiment and domesticated foxes using genes and selective breeding and NO human contact. Their experiment went so well that they are selling their foxes as pets for funding to continue! There was also an article in a very recent issue of National Geographic!
QUOTE (Kaena Lykoi @ Mar 30 2011, 06:49 PM)

I don't have a whole lot to contribute to the discussion myself, but re: broken leg -- don't they usually put down horses that have a severe break? :x Or, at the very least, if it heals, isn't the leg prone to lameness, arthritis, and other problems? I think it would be a great idea to have a horse maybe injured or incapacitated if it got found like that, but if you mess with it's legs, then I would just worry about the strain of carrying an adult Luperci on an old injury like that. ^^ Most Luperci are a lot bigger and a lot heavier than the average human (let alone a tiny jockey) so I would think that the repeated strain would cause more problems than if there was a human rider. Buuut, like I said, I don't have a ton to contribute anyhow. [/quote]
Yup, you're right on this one. A hairline fracture can heal easily enough but a break bad enough will leave the horse lame for life. I didn't know she was intending to break the stalliion for riding though. That's my bad!

@Layla: Okay, just wanted to make sure I hadn't gotten behind on a new breed regulation or something. I was thinking 15.2 seemed too tall for a pony. ^_^; That would mean my horse would be a pony lolz. Poor guy.

EDIT: OMG RHONI WANTS PET FOX. 0_0