[P] Too Much to Ask For?
[html]

All Slade wanted was to see Deirdre one more time. That was it. He enjoyed talking with her and wanted to have another conversation. It wasn't much. But no, he had to go and say "I'm going to meet three more packmates before I go back because I haven't been sociable enough." He was never going to do that again.

Slade was a bit stiff as he paced near the border of Cercatori d'Arte. It was right where he and Deirdre had last met, or around there; it felt like so long ago already. Every so often he would look into a tree to see if any deranged Luperci was watching him. He had gotten swept up in the drama of his pack; there had been several murders as of late, and he had been scared to leave Thornbury. Then he met Arwen Stormcloud, who was not the most mentally stable canine he had met, to say the least. He didn't want her following him yet again, like she had a couple of days ago; he was certain that she was the murderer. That had held him back another day from coming here, but at long last he had worked up the nerve to meet Deirdre again.

He hadn't left a moment too late. He had woken up as usual but decided not to hunt so he would have a good appetite; Deirdre had suggested that they go on a little hunt. Unfortunately, this made the waiting seem even longer than it already was. He had reached the border by dawn. Now it was nearly noon. He was already hungry and was becoming impatient. He would wait all day if he had to, but he wasn't going to starve himself.

Trying to take his mind off the waiting, he had started pacing. He tried to come up with some sort of story, but was always interrupted by a growling stomach and then more impatience. He just couldn't win. He wanted a nice, peaceful conversation with Deirdre, maybe a short hunt. Was that too much to ask for?

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-border1 {width:462px; border:2px solid #527d96; margin:0 auto;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#03+
[/html]
[html]

WC:210

She was not doing much recently. She had done what she told the coyote she would do, she stayed by the border of his pack but that did not mean she was always there. She wondered about most the time, returning to that spot she first met him every time she got the chance to past it. The she wolf sighed as she trotted steadily amongst the trees, heading back toward that little spot.

She had not hunted yet, and wondered quietly to herself if today would be the day that she saw Slade again. She gave herself a small little mental smile and picked up her pace. She came upon the small little clearing, but halted only a few footfalls away. She picked up his scent easily, the gentle wind carrying his scent toward her. She smiled and crept closer, carefully making sure she did not make any sound.

She came upon their meeting place, ears perked in listen. She heard his stomach growl, and then laughed silently to herself as she stood and walked out from the greenery. “I guess someone is hungry.” She stated coming out into the clearing on Slade’s left. She smiled at him, and bowed her head slightly, “Besides hungry, how have you been?”

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#494974; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.character-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#7d6753; background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/2lddixd.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Despite the fact he was waiting for her, Slade jumped at the sound of Deirdre's voice, but instantly afterward his tail started wagging. "Hi, Deirdre!" he greeted. "You scared me for a second there; I was getting used to hearing nothing, I guess." He smiled, about to ask her what she had been up to, but then she asked him the exact same thing.

He had to answer with a simple shrug. He would be lying if he said that life was great, because that was the last word he would use to describe it at the time. "Okay, I guess. I'm sorry it took so long to get over here; there's been some drama in the pack...." He wondered if he should tell her about it. The last time they had met he had almost invited her to join Cercatori d'Arte, but with a mad killer on the loose - probably Arwen - he might have to withdraw that until he - possibly she - was caught.

Still, he decided to keep that information to himself unless she asked about it; while he wanted to trust her, he wasn't completely certain that Arwen was guilty; the murderer could still be anyone. Slade found the thought disturbing that Deirdre was a suspect. There was no way....

Pushing the thought aside, he returned the question. "So how have you been? Seen the hawk or whatever that bird was lately?"

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+
[/html]
[html]

WC: 276

Deirdre smiled, “Dramatic huh?” She asked wanting no reply. She shook her head softly, “It’s alright that our meeting was delayed.” She took a moment to look around, “I had a few moments to explore the surrounding area.”

She blinked and sighed, “Yes actually. I have seen that hawk again…though…” She fell silent as she wondered to herself if she should share with Slade her thoughts about her obsession. See, she was not quite sure if she actually saw the bird, it was like the first time she glimpsed him. She saw him, yes, that much she was certain, but she was unsure if she was dreaming it all or if the bird just happened to have awoken her and she was yet coherent to her surroundings.

The she wolf sighed and shook her thoughts back in place, “Sorry.” She began, smiling toward Slade, “I sometimes get lost in thought when it comes to that bloody bird.” She sighed, “Luckily though, I won’t be leaving this area any time soon.”

The truth was; she did almost leave the area. She had chased her obsession again, and even though it took her away from the area she said she would be in, it strangely returned as if sensing her promise that she made. She sighed. That bird was a strange creature, but that, she believed, was what made it an obsession for her.

“Do you,” She glanced at Slade. “Want to go see what we can catch?” She then beamed, “if you know of any nearby streams or any type of water source.” Her tail waved back and forth in joy. “We can go catch some fish.”

<style type="text/css">
.hawk-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#006600; letter-spacing:1px; }
.hawk-a01 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.hawk-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.hawk-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... edited.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Gah, delay fail; I'm sorry about that.

It was fortunate that Deirdre apparently expected no reply to her comment about the pack's drama. Slade knew he had no reason to not trust her, but he still would have felt a little uncomfortable sharing private information about his pack to her. He was more than happy to focus on the change of subject, when she said that she had seen the hawk again. This surprised Slade, and he couldn't help but let another grin tug at the corners of his mouth. She had seen it, but hadn't followed it, probably just because she wanted to see him again? That was nothing but promising.

He was snapped out of his thoughts as Deirdre spoke again, which further made him smile. She wasn't leaving the area. A close friendship between them was auspicious. He started wagging his tail , all too eager to start hunting.

"If you want we could walk around the territory; there's a shoreline not too far from here." He turned in the direction of the border, a little past that - he didn't want to make her trespass - and gave a small nod. He had never really been closer to the shore than Thornbury, but there was a nice coastline there; he had traveled along part of it on his way to Cercatori. Giant lakes didn't just move in a matter of months, he would just have to remember where it was. He couldn't help but wonder exactly how many fish were close to the edge.

Turning back to her, he tilted his head slightly. "You know how to fish?" He had never seen anyone fishing before, let alone a non-Luperci; he certainly didn't doubt that she knew, but he was nonetheless surprised to hear it. He was already a fairly good hunter; he would enjoy adding a new technique to his slowly-growing list of skills.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
#03+
[/html]
[html]

OOC: That's ok. Smile Haha, well my wolfer is being extra freindly today.
WC: 273

Deirdre beamed with glee, “Lead the way!” She stated all too happily as she bounded to his side. She grinned down at him when he looked at her in what she thought resembled mild surprise and amusement. “Yes,” she began. “I do fish; it was something I learned on my own.”

She smiled and took a few steps forward, her voice trailing a memory. “I enjoy swimming, and since I was in the water so much I thought why not catch my food while I swam.” she began. “But, I never really fished until after joining my pack….” She sighed here as she began to reminisce upon her time with her past pack, “They would always look at me as if I was strange…” She laughed, “well I guess I did look kind of strange.” She giggled, “I would stand out in the middle of the water, still as could be, starring down at the surface waiting for a fish to come my way.”

She turned her gaze upon Slade, “fishing takes great patience; you gotta stand there still as can be.” She laughed, “I’m still not as talented as a bear, but I’m pretty good at catching a fish here and there…could use some more practice though.” She giggled again.

She was more light hearted today, still she could not understand why she could easily open up. All she knew was that she had and was opening up to this male. She smiled and shook her head. “So,” she began again turning her gray orbs once more toward Slade. “How long do you think it would take to get to this shoreline?”

<style type="text/css">
.hawk-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#006600; letter-spacing:1px; }
.hawk-a01 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.hawk-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.hawk-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... edited.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Nice table!
WC: 306

Deirdre's excitement almost made Slade nervous. He didn't want to disappoint her. How long would it take to get there? Fast enough? Were there really going to be enough fish? He had to shove the thoughts aside for a moment as she revealed more of her past. It was impressive that she had taught herself to hunt and had the patience to do so; when he had been younger and tried to catch his first squirrel, he had failed, becoming impatient when it moved and starting to chase after it. Fortunately he had learned not to be nearly so hasty, but he wondered if he would really be able to just stand in the water for a long time.

She asked him how long he thought it would take to get there, and Slade froze. He considered saying that it 'wasn't too far away'; it was probably a lie, and somehow he couldn't bring himself to say that to her. Instead he went for the more honest route. "I've never actually been there before," he admitted, "just nearby. But I've heard that it's there, and huge bodies of water don't just grow legs and walk away with all the fish." He gave a small nod in the direction he had pointed to before, glanced at her, and started walking.

He didn't want to look uncertain for some reason, so he quickly tried to change the subject, deciding to try to make Deirdre talk a bit more. "So... if you don't mind me asking, why did you want to go to Mosquitobite Valley again?" He knew he was getting the name wrong, but he didn't quite remember what she had said the last time they had met. That already felt like such a long time ago. Again he was thankful that she had decided to stick around.

<style type="text/css">
.slade-bay b {font-weight:bold; color:#af7f90; letter-spacing:1px; }
.slade-bay .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; color:#af7f90; }
.slade-bay p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.slade-bay {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#6f4166; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Xcaly.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: veranda, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2d1d35; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Smile / WC: 323

Deirdre smiled, “You’re right bodies of water can’t grow legs and walk away.” She waived her tail lightly, “well we’ll get there when we get there then.” She said grinning down at Slade and then bounding slightly forward.

She did not know where she was going, so she could not move ahead too far. She wanted to stay close to Slade, to follow him and to allow him to lead the way. It was close to his pack’s territory anyways, so what if he had not actually been there before. She smiled to herself; her mind went off a little as they walked, and as she listened to Slade.

He spoke, and she glanced calmly down to him. “Actually I’ve never been there, that’s why I want to go…I don’t know. I think I just want to snoop around…I guess.” She paused. What was her reason behind wanting to go? She sighed and looked before her, “I guess I figured it would be an interesting place to be if I ever wanted to find my self a den...or if I wanted to start my own pack…”

There she said it, but even though she had said it, she knew it was impossible for her to ever start up her own pack. Maybe if she was a little older, but right now all she wanted to do was be accepted by others. Truthfully, that was all she wanted. She was unsure if she could pull off being an alpha of a pack. Here she laughed.

“I guess deep down I do want to join a pack, and I guess…” She glanced down at Slade, “If I’m never accepted into a pack, then some point down the road I may create my own…” She chuckled softly to herself, “But as I am now…I could not see myself as an alpha…I mean I was once the mate to an alpha, but I could never BE an alpha…”

<style type="text/css">
.bird_soulflight01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.bird_soulflight01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.bird_soulflight01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.bird_soulflight01 {margin:0px auto; width:420px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3274/birds001.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 30px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 365

Slade had been completely joking about the bodies of water growing legs, and when Deirdre seemed to take it seriously he hoped that he didn't look like a complete idiot for suggesting it. He listened in complete silence as she went on, revealing that someday she wanted to start her own pack. He found that concept interesting; when he had been a pup, his "mother" Lila had told him that packs were not started of one's own free will, but rather formed over time as a family grew. It was clear that this was not the case at 'Souls, but he couldn't help but wonder how Deirdre intended to start a pack. He didn't doubt that she could.

His mind was taken completely off the subject when Deirdre said that she had once been the mate to an alpha. Somehow that sentence felt like a smack in the face, and he almost stopped walking. If she had been mates with an alpha - an alpha! - what was she doing here? Slade's common sense told him that she had probably lost a lot more than just her birth parents, but he still couldn't bring himself to believe it. Deirdre, mate to an alpha. He couldn't help but mutter, a bit darkly, "So you were partly an alphess." He didn't expect nor want an answer. He wasn't sure if he wanted her to hear.

Once again he wanted to change the subject, but since he was out of ideas he turned back to the topic of her being an alpha, but in a tone as lighthearted as he could manage. "I think you'd make a good leader." He wasn't speaking with absolute certainty; he had only seen Deirdre twice, the second time being that day, but based on what he had seen of her she would probably run a good pack. She didn't seem like the type to easily stress. Dominance was another matter, of course, but he wasn't going to think about the details now. "Besides, I haven't seen that angry or withdrawn side you told me that you had; if you're like this all the time you'd be running the best pack around."

<style type="text/css">
.slade-bay .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; color:#af7f90; }
.slade-bay {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#6f4166; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Xcaly.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: veranda, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2d1d35; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 218

Despite the softness of the mutter, the she wolf still heard what her friend said. She sighed and glanced down at Slade. “Yes, I suppose I was an alphess, but my pack was small and we were more family then an actual pack.” She smiled softly and walked a few steps forward, “There were only five of us…” She sighed, but smiled when she heard Slade change the subject.

She laughed softly to herself, “I don’t know if it would be the best pack.” She smiled at Slade.

She took a moment to study him, and after a while, she sighed. “I do hope I’m not making you uncomfortable.” She said glancing calmly toward Slade, “and if you want to ask me anything about my past, I’m alright with telling you.” She smiled, “but if not.”

She playfully bounded forward, “You should tell me something about you.” She told him, “To past the time while we head for the shoreline, we may as well get to know one another.” She glanced toward him, “tell me something you like, you dislike.” She looked forward, “maybe a talent you have?”

Her tail waived playfully behind her, “We’re together to get to know one another anyway, so we may as well get started.” She eyed Slade and gave him a smile.

<style type="text/css">
.rose-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; }
.rose-a01 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:# 006600; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.rose-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.rose-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... ited-1.jpg); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#CCFF99; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 319

Yeah, so she wouldn't be leading the best pack. Slade wondered what he had been thinking when he added that part. She would make a good leader, sure, but would her pack be the best? Where did that come from? He shook his head, running for a moment to try to return to Deirdre's side, trying to be a little ahead of her. It wasn't so much dominance that made him want to be ahead, he just figured that he was leading, so it made sense to be in front.

He was a little surprised when Deirdre asked him to talk about himself. It wasn't something he did often; when he thought about it, he couldn't remember telling anyone about his interests after he had been asked first. Fortunately it made Slade relax a little more, and he replied with his former calm tone, deciding to talk about things that he did like so it didn't kill his calm mood again. "Hmm... well, I'm a storyteller, I'm learning how to read, I'm looking forward to learning how to fish, and... oh yeah, if you read, how do you turn pages?"

The question seemed a bit odd, of course, but Slade wanted to know. He had been taking lessons from Krystalle, learning how to read, but a problem had always been how to turn the pages. He had managed to do it well enough by carefully grabbing the edge with his mouth, but he didn't want to risk tearing the page every time he went to turn it. When he had first met the eccentric wolfdog and she had agreed to teach him, he had been a bit aggravated because she kept pointing out that he needed hands. It made him all the more thankful that he had met Deirdre; even if she didn't read, he had someone who he could relate to well because neither of them were Luperci.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC:249

Deirdre smiled, “You’ll have to tell me a story.” She glanced to him, “And yes I do read…though turning the page is another thing.” She laughed softly, “It’s pretty hard, but you know that.” She bounded forward slightly, but then fell back walking a little closer to Slade.

“Let me see,” she began trying to form the right words to explain how she turned pages. “Well I haven’t found the right way for me yet, I think everyone has a different way for turning pages.” She snorted, “The first time I turned the page I used my paws and tried it that way, I made a mound in the page and then used my nose to lift the page from there.”

She sighed and shook her head, “Other times I just push the pages with my muzzle. Sometimes I end up with paper cuts though.” She laughed, “But, I think a team work of paw and muzzle is the better way to go.”

When she spoke she was looking before her, now however, she turned her gray orbs upon Slade. “You have to be gently however, just like handling herbs and flowers; you have to treat the pages like the delicate petals of a flower, or the tender leaf of an herb.”

She sighed but kept a smile upon her muzzle, “So.” She kept her gaze on Slade, “How far now, and do you think I have time to hear one of your stories before we reach the shoreline?”

<style type="text/css">
.bird_soulflight01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.bird_soulflight01 {margin:0px auto; width:420px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3274/birds001.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 30px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 313

Slade listened to her in silence until she was finished, gradually smiling wider. See, Krystalle? Didn't I tell you that there were ways for we lupus kind to turn pages? He was thinking like a smug puppy, but he didn't care. Thanks to Bao, Jaden, and partly his adoptive mother's pack, Slade was really starting to become prejudiced against... prejudice. It was a strange twist on irony, but completely true. He had gotten into an argument and received a scar thanks to the actions of two certain Luperci. Slade was sick of it all, which made his friendship with Deirdre even more appealing.

Deirdre shook him out of his thoughts with a question. Great. She had managed to bring up the topic of heading to the shoreline... again. For the last time, he didn't know. He had never been before. He glanced ahead into the trees; would they ever end? They couldn't be too far now, could they? Shaking his head for a moment, Slade turned his attention back to her. Right, she had asked him to tell her a story. He should have seen that coming when he mentioned that he was a storyteller, but somehow he found it a bit surprising. Only once had he ever been asked to share his imaginary legends with anyone.

"I really don't know how far the shore is," Slade answered honestly, suppressing a slightly exasperated sigh. "I wouldn't think that it's too far now. Still, I've been wanting to tell this story to someone, since I've improved it. It's about... well, it's about the father I never knew." He said this casually enough; he had already told Deirdre that he had no idea who his mother or father were. What he hadn't told her was that he really enjoyed taking this unknown and using it as a base for one of his favorite original characters.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Sorry for the lateness...:3 / WC:263

Deirdre smiled, and gazed softly down at Slade. “I would be honored to hear your story,” She gave a soft smirk. “Afterwards, we’ll race. We’ll just run straight until we reach the shoreline.” She laughed, “I keep forgetting you don’t know exactly where it is. You’re probably getting annoyed with my bugging about it.” She stuck her tongue out momentarily and then placed it back into her mouth.

She fell silent then, but kept her eyes on Slade urging him silently to continue on with his story. She walked steadily, her gaze returning to look before her as she stepped forward. Occasionally her eyes would lower to the ground as she noted and studied the plant life before her paws. She smiled warmly to herself.

I think after today, I should take a look around more and see what type of wild herbs I can find. Her mind began to tell herself, I know I’ll find some wild onions. Probably the most common plant about. She giggled silently with in her head, but then sighed. Ok Deirdre, you should stop talking to yourself. She smiled, you already do it aloud, you don’t want to start talking to yourself in your head. She sighed again. That could be a bit to late…

She shook her head and pulled herself back into reality. With that small slip into her mind, she brought herself once again back to Slade, and smiled as she listened to his story. As she walked and listened, she began to wonder how fun it would be to create her own stories.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: It's fine, I haven't exactly been a fast replier lately, either.
Feel free to decide where Slade gets cut off. Here's a quick description of the entire story; you can decide where he gets interrupted.

Hang on, was Deirdre a mind reader? All right, so maybe his annoyance was obvious, but that wasn't the point. Shaking his head, he gave a small nod when she suggested they have a race to the shore, though he had a feeling that they would probably arrive by the time he finished. In fact, depending on what kind of wild adventures he decided to throw Jag Auctor into, the story would likely get interrupted again.

And so he began. Slade found the words flowing out of his mouth easily, with a few interruptions when he forgot how he was going to word this sentence or which word he was going to use here and there, but otherwise he really got into the story. Yes, this was nothing more than a legend, a detailed improvisation of the myths his mother had told him, but here he was using his own characters and his own stories. He had to admit, he had fun with this storytelling business, no matter who he was telling it to as long as he wasn't talking to himself. He enjoyed making Luther's low, gruff voice, even though it hurt his throat a bit if he used it for a while. He used as much detail as he could think of for the characters, hoping to give Deirdre a precise picture of them in her mind, but slacked on the setting, since he hadn't seen much variation from forest to forest and figured it would be useless to describe.

As usual, he didn't get to finish. During one of his dramatic pauses, he looked around and noticed that the trees were thinning out. A quick sniff of the air told him that they had arrived. He shook his head in disbelief; wow, that hadn't taken very long at all. So what if his mind had been occupied the whole time; it didn't make a difference in how long it took, did it?

"So much for racing..." he muttered, a bit angrily; Slade had forgotten what he was going to say.

<style type="text/css">
.coyoteflower-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#008080; letter-spacing:1px; }
.coyoteflower-a01 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#333333; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.coyoteflower-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.coyoteflower-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... -1-2-1.jpg); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 370px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#787878; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC:338

She was so immersed within Slade’s telling that she did not realize that time had passed so quickly, and once Slade’s story came to a sudden stop Deirdre almost protested, but then she came to the quick reason behind the story's sudden ending. The she wolf sighed, and looked ahead of her to the shoreline. She smiled gently, took a step forward and then looked down at Slade. She smiled, bounded forward and then turned to face the male.

“Oh, don’t pout, Slade.” She said gleefully, “we’ll race to the water. I’ll teach you how to fish, and then you can finish that story for me.” Her tail waived gleefully behind her. “I want to know how it ends, but we need to eat first.”

During the story, her hunger had been forgotten, but since their arrival, her stomach had begun to act up again. She smiled, turned from facing Slade and then bounded forward. Her paws pulled her forward as she pushed across the ground, pulling the earth beneath her. She had a head start, but there was no telling that she would be the winner. For all she knew, Slade could be a faster runner.

As she ran, the ocean air brought the scent of salt to her. It was new to her, and quite exciting. She was use to the smell of the forest, the soft scent of flowers and leaves. She was use to the strong stench of mold and mud, and she enjoyed the scents of the trees. This was new to her, the smells of salt and water so strange to her. It was exciting, and as she ran, she closed her eyes and pretended she had wings of her own, wings that she could soar amongst the salt scented winds.

She could not wait to show Slade her talent, and share with him a meal. She also could not wait to see the sky, and to rest as she watched the water and the creatures that lived close to this area.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Around Beast's Grin Peninsula, yes?
WC: 369

Slade perked up instantly when Deirdre ran ahead of him. "Pouting? I wasn't pouting," he protested. He wasn't sure if she got a chance to hear before she ran off, however. "If it's a race you want, it's a race you'll get!" he yipped after her, instantly starting to run. It didn't matter that Deirdre was his friend or that she had gotten a head start; he refused to be outrun by a female. Not that he had a problem with females, but with his imagination he had retained some of his puppylike competitiveness with the other gender, and now it was kicking in more than ever.

Coyotes were naturally faster runners than wolves, but thanks to Deirdre's head start Slade found it difficult to catch up to her. At one point he caught a brief glimpse of her face; why were her eyes closed? Didn't she want to see the finish line, the ocean, as she approached it? Maybe she was just trained in the art of running with one's eyes closed. Slade, still refusing to be outdone by a girl, pointed his head straight at the water ahead and tried closing his eyes.

It was fun enough, and it let him really take in the smell of sand and sea salt, scents that he hadn't encountered for a long time. Suddenly his paws touched water, and his paws were soon submerged. When he opened his eyes he got hit with a spray of salty seawater, splashed up from his run.

Holding back a yelp, Slade's sprint slowed to a walk. He turned to look for Deirdre, but it was difficult; he wasn't good at seeing far away on a regular basis, but now his left eye stung with the side effects of sea salt. He was trying to keep it open and failing miserably, and when he finally saw Deirdre his eye was twitching. He tilted his head so his non-twitching eye was facing her, hoping to hide the fact that he had been a moron and splashed water into his own face. "On with the fishing lesson, then?" he asked hopefully.

And maybe by the time it's done, I'll manage to keep my eyes wide open.

<style type="text/css">
.coyoteflower b {font-weight:bold; color:#008080; letter-spacing:1px; }
.coyoteflower .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#333333; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.coyoteflower p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.coyoteflower {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... -1-2-1.jpg); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 370px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#787878; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: And here is my oh so very late reply. Smile / WC:411

She opened her eyes once again to witness Slade race a head of her and rush into the waters. When he was splashed, she did not speak her awareness of it, but only smiled and slowed her pace. When she came to the shore, her run became a walk and when her paws touched the waves that hit against her toes, she stopped and looked down. She smiled at the waves that hit her paws, and then looked up to Slade who cocked his head so that only one side was visibly to her view. She smiled, shook her head and agreed to begin his lesson.

“These waters are different to what I’m use to,” She began trotting into the water. She walked into shallow water, and with her gaze cast toward the water, she continued her speaking. “But I’ll see if I can’t…” She ended her sentence without finishing it as her eyes caught glance of a small school of little fish. Her tail waived softly as she stood her ground.

“The key to fishing is patients.” She began, watching the small school swim past her. “You must also be still and quiet.” She fell silent for a moment as she watched the waters beneath her; she smiled only as she stood amongst the waves as they gently pushed against her legs. “Even if it takes for the moon to rise, you must never move…”

She was not sure how long she stood, but after a time she saw a right sized fish swimming close to her. Her hackles and tail lifted softly up, as she focused her sights upon the fish swimming close to her. It swam nearer, and soon was a jaws length away. With a smirk, and with speed like a striking snake Deirdre dove her head underneath the water and clutched her jaw shut. When she raised her head above the waters, she had caught a good sized fish between her jaws.

It wiggled still with life when she flung it up on the shore, and then turned swiftly back to the sandy ground. She came upon the flapping fish and placed a paw against its wiggling body. She smiled, and glanced toward Slade as her nails dug into the scales of her prey.

“When you catch it, you have to fling the fish to solid ground, or it may hit you in the face or eyes and get away.” She smiled softly, “ok your turn.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Pff, that's fine; I've been much worse. Tongue
WC: 550

Fortunately for Slade, Deirdre didn't acknowledge the way he was tilting his head. She was still smiling, which in turn bought a smile to his face. Hopefully, if she did happen to notice his eye, she wouldn't think he was a complete fool. He knew that, even though he had matured since joining the pack, he was still very immature in a lot of ways. Things like this just proved it.

He didn't follow her immediately after she waded deeper into the water, taking the moment to shake himself, trying to get some water out of his fur and of course his eye. Holding up a paw, shaking it to make it semi-dry, he gave his face a quick brush and then started to follow her. This time he didn't run, hoping not to distract her and get salt into his other eye. It still stung, but not as badly as it had initially.

His head was tilted again as he listened intently to what Deirdre was teaching him. Be patient, be quiet, be still; he could manage that. He was going over these three steps, hardly noticing the flash of scales beneath the water until Deirdre shot her head in, and he watched in awe as she grabbed a flapping fish and bought it to its deathbed on the shore. Wow, her timing had been so... so... perfect! Slade needed to do the same. Again, he was not about to be outdone by a female.

Giving a small nod, he turned to the water and stared. And stared. And stared some more. Just when he thought he saw something, he gave it a closer look and saw that it was only the sun's reflection on the water. That was all he needed to see; now all he saw were waves, his distorted reflection on the waves, the sun; this was ridiculous.

His mind was getting away from him again. Focus, Slade, focus. If you can focus on telling a story for a few hours, you can focus on hunting. This didn't change the fact that he thought he had been staring for an hour already. The fish must've gotten smart; one of their friends just died, and they couldn't be stupid enough to fall for the same trap.

Just as he had finished, he saw a flash of silver under the water. He didn't wait; Slade dove his head underwater, jaws gaping as he clamped his teeth down. Water rushed into his mouth and he forced himself not to swallow. He wasn't sure if he had caught anything, but when his head came up just as quickly he felt something jumping around in his mouth. Whatever he had caught, it was pretty darn small; there was no way it would impress Deirdre, but it was something. Wait, why was he worrying about impressing Deirdre? All he really wanted to do was outdo her, right?

Shaking his head, he gave a small bite, which killed the tiny fish, but since he wasn't satisfied with this he tried again. After a process that was nearly the same, though the waiting didn't seem nearly as long, he snatched up a spotted fish and threw it onto land, just as he had been told to. His aim sent it flying straight for Deirdre.

<style type="text/css">
.coyoteflower b {font-weight:bold; color:#008080; letter-spacing:1px; }
.coyoteflower .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#333333; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.coyoteflower p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.coyoteflower {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... -1-2-1.jpg); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 370px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#787878; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Smile / WC: 340

Deirdre watched with mild amusement as Slade went fishing. She was silent for most the process, except for her mind that kept rushing with thoughts. She sighed, but kept a small smile across her jaw. She watched him approach the water, watched him dip into it, and kept her gaze steady while he fished. She was not paying much attention on time, for the fish that was still flapping beneath her paw kept her busy. She had already killed it, but she guessed nerves still working a little after.

The fish she had caught was now still by the time Slade caught his first fish. It was a small little one, but it was his fist time. She laughed softly, not at him but at herself. At least he caught a fish his first time, she told herself remembering her first attempt at fishing. Her first attempting resulted in getting a face full of tail, and a mouthful of water that she nearly choked to death upon. Her first attempt was horrible and with this small remembering she could not help but snort a little. She had to remember to congratulate Slade for getting a fish on his first time.

Her focus returned to Slade when it seemed to her that he was not done yet. I guess the little one wasn’t satisfying, she thought tilting her head slightly to the right as she watched Slade once again. It didn’t take long until Slade caught him another fish. It was a spotted one at that. She smiled, and scooped her fish up with in her jaws and moved a few steps back to allow the fish Slade had thrown to land a paws length in front of her.

Her tailed waived in joy, “That was wonderful Slade!” She cheered dropping her catch at her feet. She smiled, “now we enjoy.” With her tail still waiving with delight she reached for her fish and devoured it. Once done, she laid down and gazed out at the water. “Well that was fun.”

<style type="text/css">
.rose-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; }
.rose-a01 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:# 006600; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.rose-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.rose-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/i ... ited-1.jpg); background-position:top left; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#CCFF99; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]