This Game We Play, (Read Only)
[html]

OOC here!

Alone. Is it really such a bad state? Do people shy away from it as much as many think? I don't see the point in being surrounded by hundreds of adoring friends when the very best songs are written in the shelter of your room, when the lights are dim, and the crowds have gone away. Being alone isn't truely a horrible concept. I personally prefere solitude to companionship. Call me strange, but it's just how I am.

Perhapes this is the reason why I find myself perfectly comfortable with the way I'm living life these days. Out here in the wild forests, away from the packs I left behind, I can find many adventures. Each memory is another chapter to my story, and every hero needs some time to be alone, just me and my memories.

As I sit here, looking across the ocean at the place I left behind, the place I once called home, I remember both the good times... and the bad. I remember being welcomed into a pack, into a family, with open arms. I had so few enemies. I felt truely welcome there, and for a time, I thought I'd never leave. I remember meeting my best friends, two women who thought the world of me, and I, them.

I remember... I remember falling in love. It was as wonderful as it was terrifying. I fought with another over him, and we both ended up taking huge chunks of his life for ourselves; she had his children, I had his love. I was to be married in spring, and at the time, I couldn't have been happier. We were planning our life together, our family, our future.

I became the medic for his pack, our pack, and people turned to me with their worries and woes. I felt important, needed, trusted... They felt as if I were their hero, even when I became harsh with them. I was a gentle lover, and a caring friend, but I was a strict medic with rules to abide by. In my own way, I had become their leader as much as he had been.

The first time blood was spilt, it had been my fault. The second time, I had been the one to mend the wounded. A killing spree, targeting pups and their mothers. I remember being afriad, and I remember the haunting regret I'd felt. My best friend had been put under because of it, and my beloved's children had been either killed or lost to him. Life was harder than I'd ever believed it could be, and I wasn't even married yet.

As soon as the murderer had been dealt with, and life in the pack was safe again, I'd set out to find the lost mother and her two daughters. The whole time I'd been away, I felt as if that freedom of being a loner had returned to me. When I returned to the pack, I felt...

I left three nights later, without so much of a goodbye to many of them. I left the pack behind, and soon after, the province they called home. Back to my birthland, by to the place where I had grown up. I visited my mother's grave the moment I could, and I remember crying myself to sleep.

It's been three months since then. The world is fading back into autumn, and I know they're still wondering where I've gone. I hate to leave them like this, but I don't think I could've managed saying goodbye. Now that I look over the water at the coast I once owned, I wonder if he'll ever get over me. I wonder if life will ever be the same.

Without my consent, my voice lifts into a long, drawn-out howl, carrying across the water to my old home. I sit there, waiting, wondering, wishing... but I get no answer. I response. That howl had been meaningful, a final goodbye before I leave for the other coastline. It's fallen of deaf ears, and I know this, so I turn away to leave.

And then I hear it. His voice, calling from a far-off place, carrying over clear skies and warming my heart. I whirl around and far away, almost beyond my eyes, I can see a figure standing tall on the other coastline. I know that voice, and I know that shadow. I smile. I know what's coming. He's too far to the north to be in his own territory. He's been tracking me.

Well if it's a chase he wants, it's a chase he'll get. I send one more howl to him, a challange, and in seconds his answer reaches my ears. Accepting my game, agreeing to play along. I cast one last glance his way, and then I run. I run as fast as my legs will carry me, away from him. I know now that he'll chase me to the ends of the Earth...

...but that doesn't mean I can't have fun being the prey.

<style>
.sky-d04 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.sky-d04 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.sky-d04 b {color:#091F2C; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.sky-d04 {background-color:#6DA2C2; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010dec/skytab.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#20333E; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 240px 0px; }
.sky-d04-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]