Eating sea biscuits and drinking red rum
[html]

The angular wolf-dog's angular path was directed no longer by the weakness in her legs refusing to allow her to traverse steep slopes and too-high obstacles, and now was mainly to do with curiosity. She couldn't rest for a second without soon rising again, wanting to keep finding more new nooks and crannies of the territory. Unlike her journey from home to here, which she'd found tedious and exhausting, this was fascinating. Each piece of the landscape she discovered she could fit together with the others in her mind and start to build her mind-map of the country.

The sun was low and streaked the sky immediately around it with faint rose-pink as she came towards the end of a day that had seen her cross a river, run for miles to dry her heavy coat, and explore myriads of old human settlements that were mostly empty and some ruinous. The smell of well-fed horsehide alerted her stomach to its hunger, and soon following the scent she came to an especially odd collection of buildings, approaching them across a shorter oval of grass. The horses were cooped up in one of the blocks, and stamped as she passed each stall, a faint expression of apology in her eyes for unnerving them with her unfamiliar scent. Of course, these animals were kept here purposefully and certainly not to make meals. She'd known mules and donkeys for carrying burdens, but never a horse and eyed the long-nosed animals with suspicion. They looked rather strong and capable of a good bite with those long jaws and large heads.

At the end of the yard she spotted an open door and entered, finding herself in a tack room surrounded by leather saddlery. Now this was much more to her liking. Caspa ran her paws over the smoothly oiled surfaces, intrigued by the craftsmanship and making an assortment of mental notes as to their construction. Lifting a saddle to test the weight, she almost fell over backwards and wobbled around the room for a few seconds before managing to set the object down, with rather a crash, onto an upturned crate. Well, that was stupid, she told herself, the internal words somehow reminding her of someone who would have been even more excited than she to see these leathery creations. The memory was painful and her deep eyes seemed to blacken, but perhaps it was merely that they turned towards the shadows in the far corner of the barn.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 353

Denver had grown up around horses; his parents had tended to several, using them to wrangle and herd cattle and sheep around the land they'd claimed as their own. He'd wanted nothing to do with it, though he did like the large, strong creatures. He respected their power, and was amazed to see them carrying creatures his size so quickly, but he didn't trust them. They were huge, and dangerous.

The dog boy had never ridden himself, and was unsure whether he would dare to, unaccompanied. He would likely need to have someone else present, and he hated appearing weak, so he hadn't gotten around to it yet. Why bother, anyways? To have a creature work for you, bring you places in more swift time? That does sound pretty good, actually... he thought to himself as he walked through the stable, reaching in to stroke the noses of some of the calmer, kinder looking beasts.

One snorted as he passed it, and he let out a low shriek. Surprised by the sudden loud outburst, he hurried ahead, glancing around through narrowed icy eyes, now more wary of the creatures. Then, another horse whinnied and he frowned, walking deliberately forward, quickly rushing into the open door at the end of the stable, shutting it behind him and breathing heavily for a moment behind the door, face pressed against it, ashamed to have been scared by animals that were penned up.

As he turned, loud crash managed to surprise him again, a solid and hard-sounding one. Stark, light blue eyes scanned the rather large room quickly, landing on the small frame of a woman, lanky but muscled. A white, long-haired dog-woman. His one ear that could perk up did so, and his lopsided ear did it's version.

"You tryin' to scare the shit outta me, girl?" he asked accusingly, sighing a breath of relief that it was a dog and not another wolf. Still discombobulated, he placed his hands on his hips and stared hard at the ground. "Jesus," he mumbled, not even managing to bother with an introduction in his fluster.

<style type="text/css">
.denver_bull01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.denver_bull01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.denver_bull01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.denver_bull01 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2050/bullwhip01.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

She stiffened a little at the disgruntled-sounding remark and turned, faraway eyes slowly focusing back to the present. "No. I did not see you there. I just wanted to hold the horseback seat." Her eyes flashed in their hollows, to think she was justifying herself to a stranger, but she made herself quickly retract the arrogance with a polite smile - it was quite right of her to explain herself to the residents, being so new and untried, she had a lot of work to do to find a place and therefore civility would be definitely advisable. More than that, she outright longed for companionship and knew she must quickly learn to make a favourable impression on any variety of wolves. Or fellow mongrels, she thought, recognising the dog in him. Although he was larger with obvious wolf blood, he shared her domestic-throwback fur and ears. Or, ear.

What had he said - Jesus? The name was unfamiliar. She wondered if he thought she was somebody else. Perhaps he was rebuking her by that name. She felt she should explain herself clearly. "I'm Caspa, lately a Seigneur." The saddle on its crate started to tilt precariously and she caught it one-handed by an edge, before pushing it further onto the box hopefully more squarely this time. "What do you do here?" her eyes made a sweeping circle of the room, indicating all the horsy apparel. She assumed he knew about this; there was something so confidently relaxed about him, as if this was his world, but maybe it was that everywhere was his world.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 240

"No. I did not see you there. I just wanted to hold the horseback seat." she said, a smile eventually accompanying her words.

Denver breathed a brief chuckle and moved towards her, not bothering to open the door behind him again. "Alrigh', fair enough." he said, sniffing in a deep breath of the tepid air and nearly gagging in response. "Ugh, it smells terrible in here..." He waved his hand in front of his face in offense, nose crinkling.

"I'm Caspa, lately a Seigneur." she introduced, managing to keep the saddle she'd just replaced from falling to the ground.

Seigneur? Denver thought, eyebrows raising. Is that what that Niro fella said? "Guess that's me, too. Name's Denver."

"What do you do here?" Caspa asked, wandering eyes indicating that she thought he worked in the barn, or something.

Denver scoffed, "Pfff, oh no, darlin'... No," he laughed, "I don' work here. I ain' so fond'a horses, t'be honest..."

He sure hoped he didn't look like a farm hand. He froze, then, looking down at his clothing and running hands through his hair and fur. Am I all dirty or something? he thought, brows furrowing with annoyance before he looked back up her quizzically. "Sure hope I don' look like I work here..." he muttered with a frown.

Icy gaze flew over her for a moment before narrowing, "You ride or somethin'?" After all, she'd been ogling the gear; he wondered if she owned one herself. Owning one of them was just too much bother to be worthwhile to Denver. He preferred just to look at them.

<style type="text/css">
.denver_bull01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.denver_bull01 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2050/bullwhip01.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

The smell wasn't really bothering Caspa. She had been taught to cure leather and the scent of the completed articles was rather sweet by comparison to the messier parts of the process. Denver was certainly unimpressed by it though, and he seemed to have to consider for a second when she told him her rank as if the word was unfamiliar. He was as fresh as she was, as chance would have it. He seemed affronted by the idea he might have something to do with the stable work, so now she was really curious to know what he was doing here, but of course, he was probably just poking his nose around like her. Funny their paths should cross, being so similar. "I wouldn't know," was all she could say, "This horse scene is new to me. I assumed you were a local, is all." She shrugged to deflect any further offence on his part, and looked aside for a moment, attention caught by a shiny spur thing which - oh, it must be for digging into the horse's side, considering it was attached to the foot support. Not nice.

You ride or somethin'? "I like walking," she answered simply and gave him a searching look. "What brings you here to this pack, Seigneur Denver? Obviously not the equestrian lifestyle, I mean..." It was always hard to make out the humour in her eyes, which were so deep-set and hooded by thick lids, but the spark was there regardless.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 354

"I wouldn't know," she replied, and Denver relaxed, relieved at her neutral answer. ""This horse scene is new to me. I assumed you were a local, is all."

"I see. Well, no, can't say that I am. Just got here 'bout..." he paused, considering this."A day or so ago, m'self." he admitted, eyes leaving her face to wander around the room again, distaste once again showing on his face.

"I like walking," she said, and Denver nodded in agreement.

"Yeah," he agreed.

Denver wondered why she was here, looking at all of these horse-gadgets, if she had no interest in using them. Icy eyes narrowed and rounded on her slight, thin figure again. He found himself staring, with a strange longing to touch her long, velvety-looking hair, simply to touch something so soft. He blinked this odd thought away, as it seemed the uniquely-built lady had some questions to ask him.

"What brings you here to this pack, Seigneur Denver? Obviously not the equestrian lifestyle, I mean..." she asked, remarking his lack of desire to be around the creatures.

"I'm just lookin' for a place I was told was a Kingdom," he started. "but I've been fair bit disappointed so far," Denver's mouth curled down into a vague frown. "I'd heard this place'd be filled with dogs, and you're the first one I seen." An ivory had reached up to scratch his face as he leaned against one of the many countertops. He felt it shift as he did so, and immediately relieved the old thing of his weight, nervous that it might fall on him, icy eyes occasionally darting to the shelving unit, suspicious.

"So, uh..." he started, taking another deep breath through his nose, though immediately regretting it once again. "Why're you here?" he wondered, question clear even through his accent.

It was clear to him that she was a dog; or, at least, mostly dog. Denver was glad for this fact, and hoped that more of these meetings would help him see what this place really was, and whether it would suit him, after all.

An eye cast down to his sleeve, noticing a stray bit of straw there. With a single, swift motion, he brushed it away. How did that even get on me? he thought, annoyed and wary of this horrible building.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Caspa felt his eyes on her in a suddenly more attentive manner, and unconsciously ran a hand over her long plaits, which were all still pretty much in place. The way they held back her ears was useful, but she wasn't sure if there was really any benefit to her appearance, which was odd enough without the braids plastering her ears to her head. She had never had much spare time to think about her clothes and looks. Everything about her was functional in design, the only thing for show was the pendant on her neck. Denver had those lovely little curls in his fur, the kind of which she'd never seen before, and that bright but tasteful scarf, attractive soft-looking clothes. He didn't look right here in this dusty room, but Caspa thought she probably didn't look right anywhere. The thought didn't concern her too much, though.

His words about the pack reminded her of something. Oh so that was the meaning of 'Cour' - a version of Court. This must be a kingdom, of a sort. She hadn't met the leader yet, or many of the other members, but perhaps they didn't mingle with the commoners. The idea amused her a little, because there wasn't exactly throngs of canines here. The royalty must have very few people to talk to. But of course, she was only speculating. "Yes, I have met only wolves, but there are many here I haven't met yet. The hotel seems grand enough," she commented. "I came because I had to leave my home; I was miserable. It was hard to travel in the wintertime. I almost starved. Then this was the first place I came to." Her explanation was rattled off in an even tone, quickly because there was something more interesting preying on her mind. "Why are you looking for a Kingdom?" she asked, her voice a little more lively with honest curiosity. "Are you a King?" That would explain the proud bearing.

[/html]
[html]

Short! :x

The odd-looking girl launched into a boring story about her past life. Well, he did ask. Denver nodded in all the right places as he paced through the room slowly, briefly noting the strange way she wore her hair. His ears were turned towards her voice, but his eyes and fingers became bored and traced over the leather of the saddles, examining their details and trying to ignore their grime. When his finger came up covered in dust, though, he frowned heavily and brushed his hand furiously on his pants. Icy blue eyes wandered up as his floppy ear caught wind of the word "King".

"Why are you looking for a Kingdom?" the strange lady asked, "Are you a King?".

Denver almost laughed, but managed to contain himself to a simple grin. Oh, aren't I... he thought. Wouldn't he make just the perfect King? The ivory dog still hadn't met his own current King. He wondered if the man might live up to the title.

Edging closer to her, now only feet away, he flicked the edge of a spur, sending it spinning and droning like an insect. As it sounded, his eyes focused to her again, his expression blank, unreadable. "Don't I look like one?" he asked seriously, the edges of his lips curling only slightly with the tilt of his head. Well, didn't he?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
She had no idea if he looked like a King. Come to think of it, it had probably been a stupid question. Why would a King be looking to move into somebody else's kingdom - unless, that is, it was an invasion of some kind. But here went her rambling mind again, now she was painting Denver into a strange picture of leading armies, sieges and storming battlements. Not that the hotel had battlements, or any of the buildings in the towns she'd seen so far. No, of course he wasn't a King. Perhaps the reason he had been looking - or hoping - for a kingdom was that the kind of strong leadership a monarchy implied meant security, luxury, order and discipline. Caspa had been taught this; her own father had been a monarch of a sort. She may not have been attracted here because of the draws of the civilised, courtly lifestyle, but she had stumbled in almost entirely by accident, her decision settled by Niro's amiable face and ready welcome. Caspa didn't care about extravagant lifestyles. Her few belongings and sparsely furnished quarters were testament to that. Denver seemed more like the creature-comforts type, on first impressions, whatever that was worth.

She matched his half-serious tone with a deadpan one of her own. "Well, so long as you remind me if at any point I am required to curtsey." Not a trace of humour showed in her dark eyes, but a corner of the long muzzle quirked slightly in a half-amused grimace, which flicked away as quickly as it har arrived as she narrowed her eyes at the sharp-pronged spur, slowly spinning to a stop. She had nothing against sharp objects in general, but that thing was designed for use on innocent animals. Not to kill, but to irritate and hurt. She wasn't keen on staying inside much longer, anyway. "Would you like to get out of here?" she asked, realising as she spoke how awkward the words sounded. She prayed some of Denver's confidently smooth manner might rub off on her. "I mean, with me. We could walk?" She wasn't helping the awkwardness, but whatever. Either he would, or he wouldn't.

[/html]
[html]

Tell me if this small bit of PP is not okay. And sorry for the wait! <3 WC: 452

At least the girl played along with his game, whether or not she knew that it was one. Denver let a slick smile roll across his face as she threw back her own quip.

"Well, so long as you remind me if at any point I am required to curtsey." she said, nothing but a twitch of her lip to denote that she may have been joking.

In accordance, he gave a firm nod, icy eyes narrowed in appraisal at this new, quirky challenger. "A'course," he agreed, 'but you mighta missed a couple back there."

He did stifle laugh, because it was only a little funny. In all honesty, Denver would not have minded if he were treated as a King might be. Then this place might live up to his expectations. Distracted by the amusement of his own excessive worth, Denver mistakenly took another deep breath of the stale air, breathing in hundreds of pollen particles, instantly irritating his nostrils. His eyes began to water, and he clenched them shut, rubbing his nose and forcing the torrent of potential sneezes away.

"Would you like to get out of here?" she suggested, and immediately he gave a vigorous nod. She seemed to think he might have misunderstood her, and so Caspa clarified: "I mean, with me. We could walk?"

"Yes, yes, please." he said hurriedly, already moving towards the door, mouth covered by the crook of his elbow, agitated by the extreme dust and the smell of the room. In frustration, he wrenched the door open and marched into the hallway. He trusted the girl to close the door as he made his way past the confined creatues, already feeling their odd stares and hot breaths. Denver moved quickly out of the stable; he no longer wanted to be anywhere near those large beasts, their smells, or their dirt.

Once outside, he removed his shirt sleeve from his face, inhaling fresh, clean air with great longing. He straightened, now much happier out of that place. The girl followed shortly behind him, and he turned to her. Icy eyes raised to hers and he glanced around, exploring the area as he hadn't before. He'd seen a large concrete circle like this one before, and vaguely knew what it may have once been, but it no longer looked as it had when the humans had been here.

"So, where y'wanna walk to, Caspa?" he asked, looking about again. "I dunno this place a'tall, so..." he paused, realizing she probably didn't know it either. "Let's just go this way, I guess," Denver started, beginning at a slow, casual pace opposite the direction they'd come from. Surely it'd take them somewhere? Maybe, to castle? I hope there's a castle, he thought, already annoyed at the thought of the lack of one.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

She sniffed contemptuously, of course she wasn't really going to curtsey, but of course, he was joking as well. She liked that he didn't take her haughty manner seriously, for of course it wasn't meant as true superiority, and Caspa was hardly even aware of it. She just knew that time after time people had acted coldly towards her, so she did it too, as a sort of default response. Underneath, there was much more warmth than would ever show on the surface. She closed the door carefully, remembering it had been so when they'd arrived, then followed him past the row of stabled horses, glancing over at each beast with a sort of reluctant curiosity. The last of the animals was standing facing the wall, its ears pinned to its skull. She noticed on its shining haunches what looked like a bite mark from one of the other horses and leaned closer to inspect. Looked a day old or so, and not too serious. Denver's voice distracted her, and she looked over towards where his voice was coming from, noticing a circular arena, floored with the solid, human-made rock. He was crossing it while wondering aloud which way to go. When he came to a decision she confirmed, "Yes, that way I think would take us back to the hote-" and then she felt an ominous tug at her shoulder. Turning her attention back to the stable she'd halted outside, she realised to her horror that the large bitten animal inside had shifted its position towards the front and with a distinctly wild look in its eyes, had made a grab for her arm, thankfully seizing hold of her coat instead. Caspa jerked reflexively backwards, a snarl starting on her long muzzle. She pulled hard to get away; if she didn't hurry up Denver would leave her behind, and she'd have nothing but a savage equine for company.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for being so sloooowww! :X WC: 319

Standing on the human-made road, the sun felt hotter than normal. The black ground was unforgiving, and quickly Denver moved to be back in the grass, annoyed with the heat building in his coat that forced him to pant in an unwelcome dog-like way.

"Yes, that way I think would take us back to the hote--," she said, but her voice was cut off.

Icy eyes glanced around ahead of them, not thinking much of the interruption. "I d'know if I wanna go there, though;" he said lazily, "ain't there supposed to be a castle here or somethin'?"

The creme and chocolate wolf-dog was sure that they must have been a castle. What was a Kingdom without a castle? Maybe a castle would impress him enough to stay, at least.

Where was that girl? "Hey," he called out, turning. What was she doing? His eyes narrowed, putting a hand above his eyes to see through the midday glare. "Hey!" he yelled, watching as one of the beasts tried to pull her into his cave.

He paused for a moment, realizing that she could probably get away from it, considering it was confined. But the girl was holding him up; she seemed to know this place a bit better than he did, and he wanted to take advantage of that. With a sigh, he moved briskly towards her. Before he walked the full length, though, she seemed to have gotten away, with a swift jerk. Eyebrows raised, he stopped, placing hands back on his hips. "Well? You okay?" he asked, turning back towards their loose destination as she neared him. "I knew them things were evil."

Denver reached out to brush his own clothing off, as if it had been him that had been attacked. "Did 'e get'cha?" he asked halfheartedly, glancing over to her, vaguely scanning her body for injuries. Really, though, he just didn't want to have to carry her back, or some other bullshit like that.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Still the self-styled King spoke of castles, what was needed here was a Knight, because a knight would know about horses and Caspa in her ignorance believed she was about to be devoured. The ornery animal nodded its head up and down, taking her with it still trapped inside her coat. She wrenched backwards again trying to pull free, just as the horse gave another upwards tug, and the combination of pulling and pushing hauled her coat clean off her back. She stumbled backwards, free, but horrified, as the leather garment disappeared over the half-door into the stable. The horse put its head down, and she heard a ripping, leathery noise. Her eyes became round pools of dismay as Denver reappeared near her side.

"No, I'm fine," she answered his inquiry, turning to him with desperation, "but he has taken my coat! Do you think we can get it back?" By his own admission, he didn't like horses either. But perhaps working together, they could manage. Either that, or she supposed she could abandon the jacket to its fate. She could always make another one, given enough time. Of course, horses didn't really eat meat, and she didn't know many creatures who would eat a tanned hide like her coat. So perhaps, they could go and find someone more expert, and then return to retrieve her only garment. Maybe in Denver's castle, there would be Knights. If there was a castle at all; she hadn't seen or heard of one. Caspa felt helpless and bemused, and winced as she heard another small tearing noise from the direction of the stable. Her jaw set. "If you distract it I could go in... or we could look for the castle, to get help... but if you will, I can try going in?" she heard herself asking, trying to muster up as much bravado as possible. She eyed up the latch on the stable door. It looked easy enough to open. How to stop the horse getting out, that would be another matter entirely. This was probably a job best left to the experts. She was caught by indecision.

[/html]
[html]

I hope that the stable actually has stuff like this, lmao. WC: 408

The beast had taken her coat, she said, and Denver scoffed, turning to face the stable once again. Ears flattened as pale blue eyes narrowed, staring into the stable of the wily horse. The ivory man frowned, annoyed that something more might be expected of him. Couldn't they just get going? After all, it wasn't really all that cold, and coats were easy enough to come by here. But Caspa seemed determined to get it back. With a grumble, Denver rolled his eyes. "Oh, jesus..." he groaned. It was just unfortunate that she knew her way around here better than he did; unfortunate that he needed her right now. He supposed he would have to help her. But he wasn't going to touch that thing.

Trudging back towards the stall where the brute stood, Denver peered in, standing behind Caspa, trying to see in as best he could. He did not want to get any closer to that thing. "Look, look, he's droppin' it!" he called out as the garment fell out of the dark beast's mouth and between it's muscular legs. Denver edged over to the side of the stall gate, standing up against the divider between this and the next, empty room. At least here, he was safe from it's teeth.

"Well, whatcha wanna do, girl? How'm I gunna keep it from eatin' ya?" he asked, glancing around. Icy eyes fell upon an open door not far away, brown hay trailing across the floor. Wouldn't there be some sort of food here for these things? Denver knew that people came and cared for the horses, after all. He was also unfortunately familiar with the rooms in a stable. "Hang on," he muttered as he moved towards it.

Inside, there were various bins filled with food for the horses. In one appropriately labeled "Snacks", there were several small apples. They was bruised and browning, but would surely still tempt the beast. With a shrug, Denver grabbed the whole container, not wanting to touch the slowly rotting fruit, and headed back to Caspa.

Holding up his find, he moved beside her. "Maybe this'll work," he suggested, carefully retrieving an apple and holding it out to her, expecting her to be the one to offer it to the dark equine. If the apples could hold his attention long enough, maybe she could dart in and retrieve her beloved jacket. And then we can get the fuck outta here already.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

It wasn't especially cold but the early spring air wasn't warm either. She stood in indecision and this inaction led to a small shivering, which made her angrily rub her upper arms. The horse had lifted its head again. Hopefully it wasn't just a pause in the mutilation of her beloved coat. She stared it in the eye and the animal looked expressionlessly back. It didn't seem to be taking any notice of her at all but she could see the whites of its eyes, which didn't seem a good sign. She was relieved when Denver came back, she wasn't sure if he'd decided to leave her to it. She gave the dried fruit a look of doubtful contempt, but took it from him and watched both the horse's ears immediately swivel forwards. Apparently it was interested. She held the apple out, and with lightning speed the animal grabbed for it. She leaped backwards reflexively, cursing, and remembering the method of feeding donkeys she'd once been shown. This time she held the apple out flat, grimacing as the horse took it. Apple juice tanged the air as it crunched and she quickly vaulted onto the top of the stable door, resting both knees securely on it and then hanging her front end downwards until her outstretched arms seized the coat and she hauled it up, using her elbows, and when she was again upright, still resting on the door, she slid down to the ground again. The horse made a lunge at her but she ducked it in the same movement as cushioning her landing. Then she overbalanced and lay on her back for a moment, looking up at the horse's head which stuck out of the stall. It couldn't reach her here, but she was still aware of the currents of fear coursing through her, even though the horse was supposed to be the prey animal, and she the hunter. It seemed she and Denver were both novices in a world of Knights and Kings, unused to such courtly activities as horsemanship. They were so very different from each other, but perhaps they could find common ground in that. Still prone, not wanting to stand up and risk the horse attacking her from above, she looked around to see where he'd gone to.

[/html]
[html]

Weird post. Lemme know if the small bit of PP is not okay. <3 WC: 500

Caspa took the rotting fruit and the large animal seemed immediately interested. Denver stood a good few feet away, securely out of harm's reach. His hands rested on his hips, staring up at the girl and the horse, his head angled down. He grimaced as she held it out to the beast, and watched with shock as it nearly took her whole hand off! His eyebrows furrowed, but the girl seemed hardly flustered as she offered it again.

This time, the horse took the bait. A rotten crunching sound filled the air, and the fruit's tangy scent made Denver's nose curl. The combination of smells now mingling in the barn nearly made his stomach churn. "God," he muttered under his breath, icy eyes darting around, feeling unsettled by the strange energy here. It was about time they'd left this cursed place, damn it! The dog sighed impatiently and took a single step closer to the exit, still behind her, still watching closely. He really didn't want to have to save her from that thing. And then, she was on top of the gate. The thin wood between them was now meaningless, and her body was inches from that beast's. It was distracted, for now, but she was so crazy, going in there with it alone.

Denver stared hard, icy eyes not hesitating to pause and ogle her backside as she leaned over the short door. A sly grin crossed his face, eyes lilting as he watched her; if she was his companion for the day, he would not complain. The strange girl leaned down into the room, and he knew her head must be so close to those dangerous hooves. He took a breath as she moved suddenly quickly, coming up with the dirty, now tattered clothing in her hand. Denver raised his arms in an almost-successful gesture before his excitement was interrupted. The horse lunged at Caspa as she slid her body to the floor. She avoided it's danger, but then lost her balance and fell to the ground. She was either too stunned to move, or too scared to stand back up. The beast still lingered.

Once again all too shocked, the white wolf-dog took a cautious step forward. Her head moved around; she must have been alive. Fearful of the horse more than she had been, he skirted the head of the thing, leaning over to offer his hand to her in a strangely gentlemanly act. Pulling her out of harm's way and back to her feet, he stepped back and narrowed his eyes on her. She'd nearly gotten herself killed!

"Girl, yer crazy!" he exclaimed in an excited, slightly annoyed growl. "You got yer damn coat, so can we get the hell outta here, now?" he whined, frustrated and far past ready to move on. He reached out to take her wrist in his hand, and moved quickly to lead her out of this wretched place.

It was about time to find a castle.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

She could not explain the strange bravery; some part of her had merely told her that it was her only chance, and she had taken it. Perhaps there was also a sense of wishing to prove herself - she was so aware of her fear, especially of an animal that was supposed to be her subordinate - for goodness' sake, other wolves rode on their backs - and she had to live with herself, after all. Maybe, too, there was an odd desire to prove herself to onlooking eyes. There wasn't much her light frame was good for at the moment, other than that kind of athletic clambering. Her mind was racing, reviewing her actions. Had she been utterly stupid, or impressive? She couldn't see Denver at first, and then a white hand came out of nowhere and whisked her to a safe distance. He had been there all along, and the dark-eyed girl would never show it, but she was pleased he hadn't left her to her silly coat-rescuing escapade. Crazy, in his words, in fact. "Perhaps, but did it not work?" she retorted. "I will guide you to the hotel now." She assumed that was what he meant by the aforementioned castle - the towering building was the only one such that she knew.

[/html]