ordinarily less then most
[html]

private

Wind touched his back, ruffling the dark shaggy fur. Black masked eyes blinked at the blue sky, white clouds of a cotton shape moving steadily along the bright background. It was a day that spoke of Spring, told whispers of Summer and yet still left him with the memories of Winter. The boy's cut mane moved to hide his eyes, and once again ink dipped fingers cut across his brow to clear his view.

He was still growing, but not in the way that one might see. He was as tall as he would ever become, and the boy was beyond the height of most. It came from his father, and perhaps the father of his dam. She had spoken of his grandfather, a great wolf that had been of even greater stature. Anu had told him he reminded her of that alpha wolf, a man of few words and a sweet deep love for the Earth and the plants that grew from it's soils. Alder imagined that he could be as his mother's father. Brave and confident, even if he wished to be quiet and a beast of few words. Alone he could puff out his chest and pretend that he was such a wolf, with dominance in his stance. But, when another approached he deflated more easily then a balloon brushing against a pin.

Without a canine present along the path that would lead him to his familiar haunting grounds of Cour des Miracles he did not play pretend. The male stood straight, but his features were relaxed as he held the leather rope of the bay mare's halter. She was a friendly horse, and carried water or supplies for him when he asked it. Another bucket was held in that strong hand, for she called for little to no control. Leading her on, Alder found contentment in his chores and the silence of the worn comforting path.

<style type="text/css">
.alderjan08 b {font-weight:bold; color:#d09d6c; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #dbdbd7; }
.alderjan08-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8e6d4c; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #f1f1ee; text-align:left;}
.alderjan08 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.alderjan08 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#f1f1ee; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... rjan08.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #dbdbd7; padding: 170px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8e6d4c; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #f1f1ee; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.alderjan08-border1 {width:464px; border:1px solid #8e6d4c; margin:0 auto;}
.alderjan08-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eaded5; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
300+

[/html]
ooc: You write beautifully. JSYK. Sidenote: Viggo is in lupus form. Word count +200

From his current living quarters at the hotel there ran many paths, and he was taking his time, trying to explore them all in due fashion. At current, he was traveling down one that had the most interesting markings. In addition to canine prints of all forms, there seemed to be some sort of large hoofed animals that frequented it as well. The scent garnered from these tracks told him these animals were part of the Court, but at the same time, they were not.

The gentle smell of another greeted him ahead. This wolf carried with him a strong scent of the Court, as well as a scent of the large beast whose tracks adorned the path beneath his feet. Not wanting to startle them, Viggo began to whistle a tune as he approached. A curve in the greenery of the path revealed an incredibly tall wolf and the mysterious animal.

He cocked his head, intrigued by the magnificent beast. It seemed familiar, yet neither prey nor fellow canine. Viggo was almost certain he had seen something of the kind before, but had no personal experience with it. The tall wolf was of tan coloring with dark black head fur and feet, in a way matching the equally large creature at his side. He cleared his throat, unsure of himself and whether or not he was welcome. "Hello?"
[html]

aw, ty. so do you ^^

It was the wind that brought him first the scent of the follower, then his soft whistling. Both were non-threatening, so he did not register them for the few moments before the voice called out. Alder had been so relaxed in his lazy travels that he hadn’t thought to turn and see who might be coming up the road. The boy did now, head turning first to see the rust hued wolf. There was nothing to spoke of a threat nor intimidation and so the shy male did not feel the urge to avoid him. Hello. He replied, paws stopped in their track, and turned his tall broad body to greet the other completely.

Alder was a friendly wolf, though far from outgoing. His acquaintances and friends stemmed from the relationships that his mother or brother Haven had first established. But this male was new, the wilds of the outside world still clinging to his fur (though just ever so slightly). I’m Alder. he gave, falling back on the polite introductions that he had been taught as a pup when he was unsure of what to say to a stranger. Blue eyes looked at the other wolf, a kindness in them while he wondered who he was and what he was doing here. But not yet brave enough to ask.

<style type="text/css">
.alderjan08 b {font-weight:bold; color:#d09d6c; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #dbdbd7; }
.alderjan08-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8e6d4c; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #f1f1ee; text-align:left;}
.alderjan08 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#f1f1ee; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... rjan08.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #dbdbd7; padding: 170px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8e6d4c; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #f1f1ee; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.alderjan08-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eaded5; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
~

[/html]
Viggo smiled as the other wolf greeted him. The tall male seemed younger than he, but kindness was apparent in his eyes rather than mischief or distrust. The pair had stopped on the trail and he approached slowly, studying the bay mare. "I'm Viggo... it's nice to meet you." His tail wagged as he looked distractedly at the horse.

The word for the beast escaped him, but as he neared he knew for a fact he had seen a creature such as this before. If his memory was correct, it had been at near the halfway point of his journey to the Nova Scotia area... yes, that was right. There had been several of them traveling in a pack of their own. His hunger had driven him to following the herd attempting to capture one of the young or sick. Failure and an almost broken shoulder had been his rewards for those efforts.

"What sort of critter is this?" He sniffed the air, now much closer to the pair. "It looks and smells like prey, but I know better....how is it the beast follows you so easily?" Viggo rolled his shoulder in memory without thinking about it. His eyes glanced beyond them up the trail, wondering what is further.
[html]

The introduction was going well, smoothly as the stranger spoke his name and of the pleasure meeting Alder had been. Nothing in the stance of the other wolf spoke of ill will, tail waving lightly and the sight of it brought a soft wag from Alder as well. The eyes of his pack mate were on the mare, the line of vision obvious but Alder was surprised when he asked about the species. He had never seen a horse? The ex-Dreamer had grown up knowing the creatures, even knowing them better then he knew most of his own kind.

The surprise was not overly apparent in his features, yet he smiled and found happiness in explaining to Viggo who it was he led. "This is a horse, a mare." The bay did not have a name as others might. She was the silent language that she spoke, gentle dark eyes, velvet ears and a leathery kiss. I think she was born among wolves, so her nature is docile and she was taught from a foal to follow and listen." She was content in being beside the tall wolf, though if she did not have a snack at the days end her silent nature turned quite loud and cranky.

"Who has never seen one before?" The answer was pretty apparent, but Alder couldn't help but ask.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
~

[/html]
Word count: +300

His comfort with his lupus form was waning as he slowly stepped even closer to the horse and his wolf. The large hooves and the memory of how quickly they can strike was burned in his memory. If only he had chosen to begin this hike in some other, more capable form. Of course, he could shift... he was well fed and rested, but he had never shifted (successfully) in front of another. Only his uncle had seen him shift, and that had resulted in a mocking that caused him to take almost an entire day and the majority of his energy to complete.

"Horse..." Viggo repeated slowly to himself. Who has never seen one before? The question, had it come from any other voice might seem mocking, but from Alder it seemed to be more youthful curiosity; it seemed the pair of males were full of questions for one another.

"I've seen them, I just never knew what they were called...but I do know how hard they can kick. That I was able to learn on my own." He chuckled slightly at his naivety. "Give me just a sec..." Quickly, he moved off into the brush, just far enough away to obscure the sight. His relative newness to his 'situation' still gave him unease and discomfort, but he wanted to be near this animal without so much worry of being stepped on. And he wanted to touch it; to pet it as it seemed Alder might be able to do. The change went smoothly, his excitement at learning something new helping things along and in just a matter of minutes the rust-colored Viggo emerged back onto the path.

His height was no match for that of Alder, but despite this his frame betrayed strength through its small build and wiry body. Moving slowly, he approached a little closer than before, eyes wide and tail wagging. His optime form stood short even against the horse (he was only 5'5 at best). "She's a magnificent horse. Beautiful. Would you... can I..." Unsure of how odd the question and entire situation might be, he stumbled over his words. "May I touch her?"
[html]

He had certainly only been curious. His puphood had been filled with visits from canines that had horse companions, and his adulthood seemed to revolve around them. All the packs in the area seemed to have at least a few, or so he had heard. But Viggo was new, and Alder should have not let the question slip with such sass in its wording. His mother would have scolded him for not thinking before he spoke.

The Cours wolf could only hope to make up for the folly and smile softly as Viggo explained. Trying to find the words to redeem himself, his thoughts were put on hold as the other moved to the brush. Blue eyes watched the exit he had made. He took the moment to recollect his composure (if he ever truly held any). The other male returned, now standing upright in his Optime form. Alder looked at the horse, not wishing to be caught looking into the forest when Viggo had been seeking privacy. But there was an unsure tone that he held, giving Alder the confidence to look at his face and give him a quick nod.

Of course. He said, and moved to the side. "Here, pet her nose." A grin broke through onto his face and Alder thought consciously about holding the rope lightly. She could feel when he was tense, through the lead.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
~

[/html]
Trying to not seem overly excited for fear of spooking the mare, Viggo stepped forward, hand outstretched palm upwards. He allowed the horse to sniff his hand before moving closer. Rust fur touched reddish brown fur as he slid his hand gently along the nose of the horse. His tail continued the small wagging that had began once his transformation had succeeded. "Does she have a name?" he asked, his voice soft.

Amber eyes shown with excitement and joy. Never before had he felt so at home as he did at the moment. Alder's faith in allowing his horse to be petted, as well as his non-judgmental attitude towards Viggo had gone very far towards making the red wolf feel comfortable within the Court.

"In my parent's pack, we didn't have horses. Of course, we also didn't mix and mingle between our wolf packs and those of the others...the luperci." He had hesitated at the word, only having recently learned that was what he actually was now. "Needless to say when I became loup-garou I was no longer welcome..." Viggo's hand trailed along the neck of the mare, enjoying the softness of her fur against his palm. He jerked a finger towards the forest he had just ran into and returned from. "I'm sorry about bolting just a minute ago...I'm rather new to the whole "change"."
[html]

The rusted male walked towards the mare calmly and slowly, and Alder knew that the mare would accept his presence into her personal space. He could read her face, and she whispered an approval. She liked the scent of him, and swished her tail against her legs. Alder turned his gaze to the male, who only seemed to be a bit older then he. His height did not match the tree-named male, but Alder knew the benefits of being lean and without stature.

Viggo spoke, and the boy felt flush with bashfulness. He shook his head, No, she is the pack’s and I didn’t feel it right to name her before she had an owner. Maybe it was silly, but Alder hadn’t wished to upset her future companion. To him she was simply the bay mare, and he did not called her anything but requested her to follow him with a look or an encouraging whistle.

Alder enjoyed the look that came from the other male, the act of bringing happiness to another brought him happiness too.

When he spoke, Alder’s ears perked and he listened. But not without confusion. Such a thing was different then how he was raised. And he felt sad as Viggo continued and told of his banishment. The timid male was silent, and only spoke when he gave his apology. Oh, I don’t like to shift in front of others either. He assured him that he was not alone. Alder gained courage from the comfort that he felt between him and Viggo, enough to ask a question about the story he had been told.

Why do they not like the luperci? He had averted his eyes and looked at the horse when he spoke. Perhaps it was too personal a question to ask, Alder always found it hard to gage such things.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
300+

[/html]
Word count: +300

A slight sadness tangled within his body versus the happiness he felt. He couldn't imagine not having a name, and this was his empathetic feeling for the bay mare. Of course, Viggo figured it would also be rather liberating to have no name, no ties. But then again, he had been essentially that. He'd be alone, which was almost the same as having no name. No, he pondered, it is sad for this magnificent creature. To have no name. At least she has ties to the pack, just like I do now.

White canines flashed as he smiled at Alder's comment. He could tell the male was saying this as a comfort to Viggo's own confession, however, he felt there was some truth to the wolf's words. The question came as a welcome surprise; he had felt as though he were dominating the conversation and not allowing the larger male to speak. Why didn't we like the luperci? There is so much that I can do now that I couldn't before. Opening and closing his reddish paws his thoughts continued as he again patted the mare. I can lift things, and manipulate them. I can walk upright. I'm faster, stronger, and larger...well in some forms compared to the lupus forms of others.

"I guess mostly because they are different." Amber eyes looked towards Alder only to see him looking at the mare. Viggo tried to remember his pack history to tell a fuller story. "My grandmother always told me about two brothers in our history...one was a wolf and one a luperci. The story goes that each was jealous of the other, essentially starting a blood feud..." He stretched, scratching the back of his neck and looking at the sky for a moment. "This continued and each ruled their own pack, growing in strength and competing, neither leaving the same area... so competing for everything--water, prey, and mates even."

Again, he had managed to take over the conversation. "Were you born into the Court...or did you find your way here from somewhere else?" Viggo cleared his throat, awkwardly hoping he hadn't offended the other.
[html]

sooo sorry for the wait!

Alder had never thought much on the fact that the mare had no name to be called. No, it did not seem like something she cared much about. He called her with other things, like whistles and gentle coxing. His own name had never really been explained to the boy, though unknown to him his mother had indeed chattered away about the choice when he was just a closed eyed whelp. The meaning and importance of it lost to him.

He was more concerned with the thought of offending Viggo, and stood beside the horse and wolf while he looked not at the man who spoke but either towards the ground or at the mare's back. The boy had never been ashamed of what he was, only fearing the change itself. But he had climbed that mountain and it was only because he had done so that he felt normal among the rest of his pack. He had never met anyone that was not a Luperci.

The story was unfamiliar but made sense, and he nodded to show he understood. That would a sad place to grow up in, where judgment was passed for simply being born a certain way. Alder wouldn't be able to manage such discrimination. He was nervous enough that someone might find his demeanor unattractive, let alone something he had absolutely no control over.

With the ending question Alder was grateful that he needn't try to comment on the explanation and spoke quickly to answer. "Oh no, I was born in Crimson Dreams. My mother is a leader there. I moved here to live with my brother Haven, he's the Knight of the pack." Though Alder's purpose was not to boast but simply explain and was making a place for himself here he still relied heavily on the ranks and stations of his kin.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
300+

[/html]