Thrillkill
The beast crept through the shadows, his hulking form ruffling only the slightest of leaves in an otherwise silent stalk. He was losing his edge, he used to never make a sound, but guessed it couldn’t be helped, with age came the loss of ones fine motor functions or he was just getting rusty. Saluce knew where his former apprentice was, she was stalking as well. Sometimes he felt they got a long much better when they just interacted without words. But he loved the girl as a father would even if he wasn’t one. It seemed all the bullshit of titles and politics got in the way of the two of them actually getting out and having a bit of fun. Today was the exception, he had met up with her as he had left to go hunting, finding her in the same mood and form as well as he. A silent nod was all that had been given and then they had taken off into the woods together, he had even acted a bit on the childish side waging his tail energetically until they hit on the scent of suitable prey.

Today it was deer, white tail to be exact and the small herd had timed their arrival at the wrong time of day, now they were being circled, the hunters careful not to reveal their presence until just the right time. That time quickly approached as he picked out the one he wanted. Saluce could easily bring down his own prey without assistance, but today he was working with someone else and the old ways needed to be honored. Normally he was the trap wolf, the one who sprung out to make the kill, but today he felt like giving chase. Nayru was big enough and talented enough to do the job and he was sure she had done it solo on her own already.

Like lightening his form sprung from the brush chasing after the big buck he had been eying for some time now, driving him toward his alpha, to give her the honor of the kill.
[html]

It had been a while since the lady hunted with anyone else. Her life had been so busy that the girl had mostly caught a quick lunch here or there and went about her life, barely giving a thought to the thrill of the hunt. As she moved ahead of the male, ever watchful of his position and that of the deer, all of the old emotions came back. First there was a small twinge of guilt, quickly followed by the rush of excitement as she saw Saluce break into a run and round the single deer towards her. The excitement became amplified as her own muscles sprang into action, propelling her at the large creature, and then up into the air, jaws snapping at the soft throat.

When her fangs sank in, she also made use of her long sharp claws in Secui form, pulling loose long ribbons of flesh from the poor beast. As the life of the animal bled out of the girl, she couldn’t help but feel satisfied and accomplished, standing over the animals as bright eyes turned dull. Blood soaked and stained, she turned to the man as he came up beside her, tail wagging like a child’s. “Excellent, no?” and then she remembered herself, and the act she had just committed and turned to the creature. Eyes the color of the deer’s freshly spilt blood slid closed and silently Nayru said a prayer to herself, thanking the deer for giving it’s life so that she might continue her own. That she had so enjoyed the hunt did not daunt her, but she knew better than to be careless with such precious resources. Turning back to the man, she smiled. “Shall we eat?”

<style type="text/css">
.spintree-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.spintree b {font-weight:bold; color:#6a5959; letter-spacing:1px}
.spintree p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.spintree {margin:0 auto; background-color:#342c2a; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... ubyfae.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#746d66; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
He merely nodded to the queen of Dahlia as he watched her do her ritual. Saluce wasn’t one to worry much with the ritual part of anything, it was simple, he was the apex predator and it was prey, he considered its life already forfeit and he would make sure none of the creature went to waist. The behemoth did have a habit of eating his fill and today would be no different. As he sat down on his haunches he followed normal protocol, the alpha always ate first. His eyes looked over her now, noticing the elegance she still retained in her bulked up form. Saluce missed a woman’s touch and suddenly wished at some point they would have gotten along better but it probably was for the best after all anyway.

“That was fun, I don’t recall the last time we got to hunt together.” With a smirk he sat about around the hind quarters, waiting till just after she had started. He’d leave the good bits for her, the organs where always a special treat but it was her kill so it was her reward. The muscles and bones of its powerful hindquarters would be enough to sustain him for a while.
[html]

The man desired for her to eat first, and so Nayru complied, knowing it easier to go along with the flow rather than fight against it. Still she felt her subservient to the others, their guardian and servant. Yet with her rank came some status, and Nayru knew that there was no denying that. As much as she respected Conor, the others were growing to respect her and Nayru took it all in very gracefully. Lowering her head she ate the parts she liked best: the soft stomach, the fat off the hind quarters and then her little frame was filled up and she pulled away, giving the rest of, and most of, the kill to Saluce.

As he ate ruby eyes watched him. The man had been forgiven for leaving—Nayru understood now that he had not been of sound mind and he had made his amends. Although their previous friendship wasn’t quite regained, they had come to an understanding. When tensions got too tight between the two, one of the other usually excused themself and in this way they kept peace. Mostly. Saluce had been ever dedicated to the pack, second perhaps only to Saul who had never left her side. They deserved to know what was brewing, although Nayru knew it was a tricky subject to bring up.

“Change is in the air Saluce, have you sensed it?” Perhaps he had. Perhaps he had noted her recent absences as she scouted out the mountainous territories to the north. Perhaps he had sense the discontentment of his alpha and some of the other members. Perhaps he had sensed the struggling ghosts that Nayru would soon banish from the hearts and minds of the Dahlian members. Or perhaps all of that was in her head, but the girl wished to know if the great brute was in on any of the secrets she seemed to perpetually carry around with her.

<style type="text/css">
.spintree-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-size:12px; text-align:right;}
.spintree {margin:0 auto; background-color:#342c2a; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... ubyfae.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#746d66; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify; width:400px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
He was eating just fine, letting things that had been going on the last few days just be what they were. He was still recovering from several fights he had had the past few weeks, the most recent still boring a hole in him, unfinished work always irritated him. Today though his companion only ate a few bites before sitting back to watch him eat. It made him self-conscious, his eyes moved away from the kill to hers wondering why she hadn’t continued. After all he didn’t want to be considered rude if she felt she had to relinquish most of the kill to him.

Then her words floated to his ears, change? No he hadn’t really felt it, he had been to absorbed with his own duties to notice much on what his leaders duties did. Change, he already didn’t like it, his head lifted from the carcass looking over the female with a judgmental gaze. What was she thinking, he hoped it didn’t mean he’d have to do some terribly boring task in the name of diplomacy. But for now he just stood there looking over at her perplexed. What was it she meant?

“No” he said flatly, and honestly he had no idea.
[html]

No. No, the man hadn't sensed the changes that the woman felt with her entire being. How could he have not? Didn't he feel the shifting energies? The dwindling life seeping from Dahlian lands? Nayru watched him with a steady gaze, knowing he'd think her eccentric, erratic. The woman knew the man too well to think this might go smoothly. That he would accept it without question. The change was big, maybe too big. There was no avoiding it though. Even if it hadn't been set into motion, not truly, there was no turning back. There was no denying it now.

"I think we have to leave, Saluce." Her words came quick, and she knew they weren't enough. Too vague. How could she explain it though. "Leave these pack lands. Not just you and me. All of us." The fairy girl sat still as a statue, trying to discern his emotions just then. "This isn't home anymore." But who except her really felt that? How could she explain it to them? Make them see? Home was north of here, high in the mountains, towering above those that refused to let go of the past and move onto the future.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
His face scowled, she may have been alpha but it wasn’t her place to speak of what home was for all of her followers. He stood slowly back onto four legs looking away from her for the moment wondering why their pleasant evenings always turned into arguments. A loud sigh escaped his lips as eyes looked over his home, or what he was told wasn’t it anymore.

“Did I ever tell you Nayru why I chose this pack? I know a lot about you maybe not all there is to know but you know nothing of me other than my history here.” He paused for a bit, sitting down to look across the meadow. This land reminded him of his childhood home, before his life had been ripped apart, it was after all the land of his father. She may not have dwelled on the past but the past clung to him, soaked him with it’s influence. He had been running from it and toward it for so long and yet he had never found any peace within himself. To lose his father, to lose his heritage had ripped apart everything that he had been intended to be.

“I grew up in an area of France called Normandy, the coast line region to be exact. Lots of vineyards, massive hedgerows, even the sight of some bloody war the humans fought once before. This place reminds me of my childhood home, when everything was peaceful. Now you’re going to tear that away from me again? I lost my father in some bloody struggle, never saw him again, never saw the shores of Normandy again, and the closest thing I’ve ever found to that time in my life is going to be ripped out from under me?” The tone of his voice suggested his mood, unlike many times they had had their discussions where his tone had grown into an anger soaked this time the tone taken was one of regret. She didn’t know and how could she have.

“Why do you want to move the whole pack?”
[html]

379 .

Nayru expected the scowl, and her face remained emotionless. Although he grew unhappy, she did not, knowing that many others would perhaps be unhappy with the idea. Especially at first. Nayru could understand. Had Conor suggested they move she would have been shaken, but she would have done so. Her commitment to Dahlia de Mai was both to the members and the land, but when push came to shove it was the members that would win out. Every time. Bowing her head to the man, she spoke softly, though no more than usual, and she hoped that the gentle tones of her voice would encourage him to soften to her.

"I understand and I am sorry. It will be a hard change, but a necessary one I think." Nayru raised her eyes, tilting her head at him. “You know how the majority of Inferni still feels about us. They are not the only ones. I am tired of living under the shadows of past sinners Saluce. I am tired of seeing Gideon limp about because some evil had been done upon him and Dahlia did not protect him. I am tired of seeing the pain in other’s eyes because leader after leader of Dahlia ups and disappears.” There were too many bad patterns here. War and lost leaders. How could they break that if they refused to break free? “ We are exposed here, in the middle of all the packs. So is Phoenix Valley. We can band together. We can be a family, over the mountains and no one will bother us then. “ They could just leave peacefully, finally. Didn’t he see that? No more stress and strife and trying to smooth over past wrongs. A fresh start.

“That land there is beautiful. It’s not unlike Dahlia de Mai. There is plenty of coastline and perhaps you could try to love it as you love it here?” It was more a plea than a suggestion. Couldn’t he just try? “I am not forcing anyone to come with me. But I don’t think Dahlia de Mai has much to offer us anymore. There is so much more waiting for us Saluce…” And then she nudged him gently and pulled back, crimson eyes thoughtful as they found blue ones.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]