a familiar taste of poison
1400+
[html]
Backed dated to June 18th
If your not interested in the Keese and Anann drama, don't waste your time reading this.

Anann walked along the few short rows of sprouts. Only a few inches high, they had only found their way to the surface in the last few days. The small garden had been more work than the amber wolf was beginning to think it was worth. Not large enough to justify the need and use of a horse drawn plow. Which she first would have had to have found in the first place and that was a chore in and of itself. So the hard packed earth had been turned and broken up by hand. She had chosen the small plot of land near her home for the sun it received and the flow of rain run off. Not practiced at gardening she had not thought to consider the composition of the soil. As she broke through the sod instead finding of the rich black dirt she had expected, the soil had been filled with clay and littered with stones. Luckily the stables was able to provided plenty of compost.

She had only planted a few seeds, unsure of how they would fair in this climate and soil. Most of the meager garden was a few different species of beans. Easy to dry and store, they were a source of protein, a last resort for times when prey was scarce. If this year’s planting was successful she would need to expand the small garden next spring. Spying a stray weed in the worked soil Anann reached down, plucking the unwanted nuisance root and all. ”You shouldn't be doing that.” A male voice sounded from behind her. She did not have to know who it was. ”Don’t be ridiculous, who wants weeds in their garden?” She said in an annoyed tone, tossing the uprooted broad leafed plant over shoulder in the general direction of the monotoned male’s voice. ”You know that’s not what I meant.” Anann sighed and rolled her eyes as she turned and faced him. ”I know that. Do you think really think growing a few beans is such a big secret? That no one else has managed to learn to grow plants? You’re such an idiot. This place isn't as savage as you make it out to be. Just because they live simple doesn't mean they are of simple mind as well." Golden hands with a bit of soft dirt clinging to the their short fur rested on her hips as she stared at him.

He huffed, looking away from her gaze and towards the log cabin that had been erected the year before, a scowl on his face. ”You abandoned us and now you teach these curs our ways.” He gave a slow shake of his head, unable to understand her actions at all. ”How is it you so easily forgotten your path? You are to protect and guide us, yet you leave us to war amongst ourselves while you runaway and hide.”

”You really think that’s what I’ve done? Mind telling me what exactly I’m hiding from? Anann’s arms moved to cross over her chest and she shifted her weight slightly to one slide, her ears perked with interest. She was still curious as to Keese’s real reason for being here. She knew it wasn’t because he cared for her. If that were the case she never would have made the journey alone in the first place.

”I don’t know, but what other reason do you have for not returning?” He counted her question with another of his own. He had not understood why she had left in the first place. He likely never would for he was incapable of seeing beyond himself.

Anann laughed, and gave her head a shake. ”See, you don’t understand at all, Keese. You never have. It’s not about me, or you, it’s about the people. Tosawi needed to change. The council was corrupt. You know just as well as I how they tried to make me their puppet.” Her anger was growing now and she could feel her hackles starting to rise. ”I might have started a revolt by leaving, but either way that city was going to destroy itself, it was just a matter of time. I knew if their goddess abandoned them the people would see how rotten Tosawi was at the core. The no longer need the council or myself. I set them free.” Her arms and moved again, now hanging at her sides with clenched fists. ”I left behind everything I knew and loved for the sake of my people. You were the one that chose to stay behind. I knew then that you cared nothing for me, nothing beyond my position of power. So you tell me, Keese, what reason do you have for being here?

Keese’s own anger grew, his own arms crossing over his chest as she lectured on. His gaze often staring just past her, knowing better than to meet her eye when they were both angry. It never lead to anything good. His ears pulled back as she said he did not care for her. ”That’s not true, Anann. I’m here now aren’t I?” He moved closer, his features submissive to the golden woman as he reached cautiously for one of her clenched fist, holding it between his hands. He gave it a tender lick. ”I too have left everything behind. Just so that I can be with you. Why isn’t that enough for you?” he came closer still, one hand still holding hers while the other arm wrapped around her gently. ”You weren’t the only one with responsibilities to the city and I could not bring myself to simply abandon mine. Surely you understand that.” The liar searched her eyes, hoping to see that he was beginning to slip through her barriers but they were still cold.

Anann went rigid at his touch, though she managed to keep from bristling as he continued to draw closer and closer. Making all the excuses she knew he would. ”I don’t believe you. So I’m afraid your sacrifice was made in vain.” She said in a cold snarl, not yet giving in to the urge to push him away. She could hardly tolerate his touch after what he had had the nerve to attempt at the stables. But she did not fear this man. ”You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t have something to gain. I warn you now Keese, I am no longer yours. As far as I am concerned you broke that pact when you decided to stay behind and I have no intentions of taking you as my mate. There is nothing for you here. Just go back home.”

”You’re right,” he admitted. ”But you are all I am here to gain, Anann. I was a fool to let you leave. Please,” He moved to gingerly lick her cheek, but she jerked her face away from him. ”Anann, I love you. We don’t have to go anywhere. I can to learn to be happy here, so long as I have you.” An ivory hand guiding her maw so that she looked at him, and the faked sincerity in his eyes. ”I cannot go back now, either.” An outright lie, but there was nothing for him Tosawi if he did not return with Anann at his side. ”Besides, there is no suitable mate for you here.”

”You don’t know what love is.” Her voice cold and bitter. She had not either, not until she had met Anatoliy. Anann had had enough, and she shoved the male away. ”Well that is for me to decide and I do not care if the Harleigh line ends with me. It’s just as well if it does. It’s time to bring the cycle to an end.” She walked away from him, calling back over her shoulder, ”I don’t care where you go, but leave me alone, Keese. Touch me again and I will bury my dagger in your chest.” She hoped he was smart enough that she would never say such a thing a in jest.

The silvered male’s lips twitched in a snarl as she shoved him away. Rejecting him again for the countless time. She might think it was over, but he was hardly ready to give up. He would not so easily surrender that which was rightfully his. "As you wish, my queen." For now, though, he would do as she bid and without another word he turned and walked away. Anger burning hot in his veins. In time the bitch would pay.

”Anann speech”
”Keese speech”

[/html]