planting in the early morning
((wc:5+))
(([html]GARLIC[/html] (Allium sativum)
Acts on bacteria, viruses and intestinal parasites. Used medicinally for 5000 years, garlic has many well-researched effects. It is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It boosts immune function, helps digestion and has also been shown to have anti-cancer effects. Garlic also reduces cholesterol, blood pressure, blood clotting, and limits free radical damage to blood fats.
Uses: Aside from culinary uses, garlic is most often used to treat high cholesterol and blood pressure. It is also used to treat infections and digestive and respiratory problems. Is extremely effective in dissolving and cleansing cholesterol from the blood stream; it stimulates the digestive tract; it kills worms, parasites and harmful bacteria; it normalizes blood pressure and reduces fever, gas & cramps; it used by athletes for increasing physical strength & energy. ))

Tal and Liam left the house early, right after the sun rose. They made their way down the small trail that led to the garden that Skye grew behind her house. The pack had a communal garden there, and Tal wanted to add to it. Today, he would add the pot of garlic he'd been cultivating. Liam padded quietly at his father's heels, envying his father his two legged form. As they arrived, Tal knelt at the edge of the well tilled dirt. He smiled at his son. "Do you remember what all garlic is used for, Liam?"

The young boy sighed. "It's used to stop fleas and other pests. It lowers fevers. In ancient cultures, the sticky juices were used to bond glass or ceramic. And other stuff. Can I go now, dad? I'm not into all this tree hugging crap." He looked impatiently at his father, his golden eyes unreadable. Tal sighed.

"Liam, it wouldn't kill you to learn these things. My mother-"

"Isn't here, dad. I realize she was some great healer, and some leader of Phoenix Valley. But she left them, and she didn't come with us. So obviously she didn't really care."
Tal looked at his son, injured. The young male looked disdainfully at the pot, then at his father, then turned and walked away, going to his secret place, where his father never went.

Tal sighed, then used the trowel he brought with him to dig a small hole, about four inches deep. He'd started the bulbs shortly after joining the pack. He'd already harvested some, and brought half of it here, to plant. As long as some was replanted after the harvest, the garlic would grow strongly year long, leading to two harvests through the year. Once in spring, once in fall. He'd tend to it, and let Skye and Sky both know it was there. If they wanted to help tend it, it was good. If he'd been here back in October, he would have started it then. As it was, this first crop would be weak, but it would grow stronger with each successive planting.

He broke open a bulb of garlic he'd pulled from his pot, placing each clove about 6 inches apart. A gentle hand brushed the soil back over the cloves. Each clove would grow into a new bulb. As long as no one overdosed themselves with the garlic, there would be plenty to go around, maybe even trade to other packs. An idea sparked in his mind, and a smile crossed his lips. "I have plenty of herbs and the like...I can go to the other packs and see if I can trade them for my own horse and lessons."

He spoke softly. to himself. He liked.. no, he loved the idea of having his own horse. Maybe even his own sheep or pigs. Something great he could contribute to the pack. Cercatori d'Arte had given him so much, he wanted to give back. He wanted to give more in terms of helping the pack. He knew Bangle felt he'd helped more than enough by delivering his pups, but Tal wanted to do more. He felt as if he owed the pack more. More plants in the garden were a good start, but he wanted to do even more.
[html]

:O yay, garlic! <3

Skye had woken up later than she had intended today, and she groggily wondered why she was so tired - the pups were gone, and so was her mate, so she assumed that they had gone out together; she hoped that they wouldn't be long. Without much else to do, Skye decided to go down to the garden and see how the plants were doing; she had been so preoccupied with leading the pack and her pups that she had forgotten about her beloved garden for a few days.

She shook her head - she remembered a time when she would never have forgotten the plants and berries that lay in the patch of vitamin and nutrient rich soil, and would check on them every day - but that was before she had had pups, and before she knew how much work they would be. But no matter how much work they were, she would never regret having them; she loved them and loved the individuals they were, and would never give them up.

She trotted down to the communal garden and smiled; there was Taliesin, the white healer that had helped her birth her pups, planting what seemed to be garlic in the garden. She neared the man, a smile still on her face. "Hello, Tal!" she said when she was close enough. "Thanks for planting this in the garden; it seems very useful. I haven't read much on garlic - do you know what it does?" If garlic had many uses, like some of the berries in the garden, Skye would be even more delighted. She was happy that the white member had decided to plant - not many people did, and Skye herself had been neglecting putting new things in the garden. It seemed that the rest of her plants were thriving, however, she noted as she looked on with approval.

<style type="text/css">
.skyefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#fefbee; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #333e46; }
.skyefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#485259; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #cde4f3; text-align:center;}
.skyefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.skyefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#cde4f3; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ree001.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #fefbee; padding: 0px 0px 165px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#485259; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.skyefreebe01-border1 {width:506px; border:1px solid #485259; margin:0 auto;}
.skyefreebe01-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px dotted #b5cee0; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#300+
[/html]
He looked up as the leader approached, and smiled in welcome at her. He stood up, brushing the dirt off the knees of his jeans. "Not a problem, Miss Skye. I had plenty of Garlic left from my earlier harvest, so I thought it would be a good addition to the garden. I have other herbs and the like at home too." When she asked what it could be used for, he grinned easily. "Get ready for a mini lecture," he laughed.

"Besides being used to cook with for flavoring, a small clove of garlic can be used to deter fleas, worms and other pests. It keeps the heart healthy. You can also use it to lower fevers. Some cultures made a paper from the skins and wrote on it. In ancient times, before glue was made, the ancient Chinese culture used the sticky coating on the cloves to bind glass and ceramic together. Haven't tried that myself yet..." He laughed.

"Garlic is also used to aid in digestion, although too much of it has the potential to be toxic to us. So be careful about letting the pups near it. But the good it does well outweighs the bad." He smiled at her, running his fingers through his short messy mane. "Any time you want to read on it, just come on over. You can follow that little path there pretty much straight to my house. If I'm not there, feel free to let yourself in. I have a well stocked library on herbs and their uses.

He paused, then asked gently, "How are the pups doing? Haven't seen much of them since the birth."
[html]

sorry for the delay! <3

Skye's ears perked in interest as Taliesin mentioned an earlier harvest, and that he had many herbs at home - was he a sort of gardener as well, she thought? He certainly knew how to deal with plants and take care of them as well as planting them, she noted as she looked over the garlic with approval. They were spaced properly away from each other so their roots wouldn't get tangled, and seemed to already have been watered.

The information that the white member departed was also quite interesting to Skye, and she listened with bright eyes - the part about paper especially got her attention, and she made a mental note to herself to perhaps look in the library or ask around as for how to make paper out of the garlic. Looking at them, however, she could guess how.

She nodded slowly. "Thank you, Tal - and yes, I think I'm going to have to build a fence around the garden soon. Some of the berries and plants are slightly toxic to canines, and I don't want to give Sky more patients than she needs," she said, her tone light and friendly. She then listened as he mentioned a library about herbs and their uses - Skye and her love of plants had been vying for something like this, considering the library in Halifax, although informative, was also limited. She grinned at the white wolf and thanked him again.

Then the subject went to her pups, and a pang of sadness hit her when she thought of Nathaniel, but shook it out. She had to keep her facade up; she didn't know why, but she didn't want the members of Cercatori d'Arte to know about the disappearance of her pup. She put on a smile. "They're doing wonderfully - they're learning to speak, and I keep seeing Erzulie trying to hunt mice," she said truthfully. Her mind then switched to Liam, Taliesin's son, who was the oldest pup in the pack. "And how's little Liam doing?"

<style type="text/css">
.skyefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#fefbee; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #333e46; }
.skyefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#485259; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #cde4f3; text-align:center;}
.skyefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.skyefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#cde4f3; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ree001.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #fefbee; padding: 0px 0px 165px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#485259; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.skyefreebe01-border1 {width:506px; border:1px solid #485259; margin:0 auto;}
.skyefreebe01-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px dotted #b5cee0; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#300+
[/html]
((I may not be able to finish any healing threads, but I certainly can finish gardening threads. Maybe Tal should go for that co-rank instead, so CdA can have two gardeners... LOL))

He smiled at the leader, his tail wagging behind him. "I'm no carpenter,Miss Skye, but I could help when you want to build that fence. I helped your mate build the caravan." His eyes shone with pride that his few talents were appreciated. She spoke of her pups, and he grinned. He remembered hunting with Liam as he grew old enough to be interested. When she asked about his boy, his smile faltered somewhat.

"Liam... well, he's hit that point in life where he knows everything already. He was here for a few minutes.... but like he said... He's not into the tree hugging. He won't follow in my mother's steps, sadly. My mother, Deuce, she was a great healer. She was adopted by her tribe's bard when her own parents had passed on. I learned my love of stories from her, and I also learned what I know of plants and healing from her. And Liam just has no interest in it." He shrugged sadly, then brightened up again.

"Are there any other plants you'd like to see planted in the garden? I know you're busy with your pups, but I blazed a small trail between my house and the garden, so I could come down this way daily. I could do that planting you're too busy to do." His tail wagged at the thought.