[m] something always brings me back to you
[html]
WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.
[/html]

[html]
Thread Information

Setting: Moaning Woods

Time: Early Morning

Character Form: Optime

Notes:sdsjdjska. This was supposed to be a death thread. Then I realized I'm a pussy and I love this crazy bitch so for now she still lives. :| If someone saves her dumb ass anyway. >>. Heavily inspired by Dolores Claiborne and its general awesomeness
[/html]

[html]

It was not the same. That much had become apparent from the moment she had stepped food in the land that had once been Chimera. But Misery was utterly unperturbed by that fact - because it had been home. The silence did not unsettle her, she found it strangely soothing. Besides, the female was not entirely alone in the world - a little black female followed her in silence. Nox was a good girl, an obedient and faithful daughter that had chosen to follow Misery back from Khalif. She loved the girl, even if she was more inclined to call her Poe than Nox - an old mind was easily confused - and even if she had brought her on this errand. "Mother, are you...". "Hush. I'm sure. You've already promised me, Noxie. You be a good girl and this'll work out well." No sound from Nox was issued and Misery took the silence as consent, and she continued to pick her way through the territory, the sleek black cane she had supporting her fragile weight.

Damian had left her. The voice that had followed her had murmured one last thing, a quiet and burning promise and Misery had followed. Away from Anathema, not towards Khalif as she had normally done once leaving the lands of souls, she had simply wandered into the wilderness. What little weight the female had put on was gone - her ghostly white form was thin to the point of near emaciation once more, but she was unconcerned. Once the decision had been made, Misery had surprised herself with how happy she had become - with the burden removed, she felt oddly at ease. Things did not seem so bleak, and even with Damian's voice gone she did not quite feel lonely. Nox had been found in that wilderness and the girl had followed Misery faithfully, even after she'd told her of the task at hand. Love was a bitter and binding thing, and it seemed Nox was indeed tied to her that way. Despite Misery's many failures, the girl did love her Mother.

Tak's eye shined in the sky. The moon, cursed and beloved all the same watched her as she cut through the land. Deeper and deeper into the stillness until she found the place she had walked so many miles to come to. "Home." A quiet sigh escaped her as she spoke out loud, completely unaware she had done so as she stared at the burned patch of earth. That was where the den had been, the one she had shared with him for so few scant days. He had died, the wicked heart in his chest giving out. An overturned, charred husk of a tree marked the spot and she could feel Nox's skeptical green-gold gaze but she was unconcerned. She knew it was the right spot, just as she knew Tak was watching. The hungry god would feed soon enough.

"This is madness." "This is what I want, Nox. You'll mind your Mother." The sound of frustration from the little black female was sudden, and Misery felt the hand clench at her shoulder. "I can't do this. Its not real, don't you see? This won't let you see him again. He's dead Mother, and he's been dead for years. No matter what you do, you won't see him again!" Another soft sigh escaped Misery as she turned slowly to look at the female, to look into the eyes identical to her own. Her voice was level, even if fever-light danced in her eyes. "Do you think I don't know that? I am just tired, Nox. Y'have no idea how long I have waited for this day. I will do this with or without you. I just don't want to be alone. I'm tired of being alone." The quiet sigh carried the weight of the world, but she could hear Nox behind her carefully beginning the preparations. The girl was obedient to a near fault...not that Misery minded it much, that obedience would serve its purpose in the end.

Smoke drifted from the merrily burning pyre. The preparation had taken most of the night, Misery was of little use - her frayed and worn frame simply did not lend itself to dragging heavy wood around. Misery swayed lightly to a tune that existed only within her head, gold-green eyes flickering to watch as Nox lowered her tired frame to sit. "Do I have to sit and watch?" For a long while, Misery said nothing in response. She did not want to go it alone precisely...yet she didn't want the girl to watch. "No, Nox. You go now. You do as I've said, and you'll be just fine. Y'have been a good girl. I love you, Noxie." The black female hesitated for quite a long moment before standing and embracing the frail white creature who had brought her into the world. Misery simply let out a slow and slightly unsteady exhale, hugging her back. From around her neck came the necklace - the edges lightly rounded, the silver not as bright as it had been, and she placed it in the younger girl's hand. "Y'take that with you. It'll keep you safe and give you good luck m'little one. Y'tell him I love him and that I'm sorry." Nox's head dipped rapidly before the female turned and stalked off on unsteady legs into the light of dawn.

"You even there? Bet not, you bloody-eyed son of a bitch." The laugh that escaped her was punctuated by a rasping cough, she could feel it clawing around in her chest. "Just like you to go when I need you. I've tried to do good, I've always tried and I've always fucked it up. I'm just a sad, sorry old whore y'know, and goddamnit Damian de le I-like-to-pitch-a-fit-and-fuckin-die Poer, I miss you. I've not done much good in this world, but I'm tired. Tired of bein' alone, tired of being tired. I'm sick too, not that you give a happy-fuck all. You don't know sick from shit on a shingle anymore, do ya? I dunno what its like over there, but I bet its better than over here." Misery was stalling and she was painfully aware of it as she fiddled with the head of the black cane. "I shoulda given up on you. If I had half a lick of sense in my empty head, I'd have done so. You are just one more fuckin' problem I don't need, you hear me? I got devil gods and the happy fuckin' home thinks I'm some kind of goddamned messiah because I went white. I dunno sinnin' from sainthood and you know that, you black bastard. But I miss you, I miss you so much Damian. I love you, I'll always love you..." Misery had jumped onto the pyre before, she had felt the flames lick at her. But she had been pulled out, she had been saved. It seemed unlikely it would happen again. She prodded the cheery looking flames with the tip of her cane and looked up at the sky. Dark, heavy clouds were rolling in, if she wanted it done she would have to go soon.

"He's not listenin'. So what about you, huh? You up there Ankh? I'm supposed t'belong to you. I spent gods only know how long tellin' Lark that he had to do better. That you'd help him one day. I've seen t'devil more times than I care to, but I've never seen you. This pyre's gonna be my home, d'ya even care you white bitch?" The blasphemy falling from her lips was enough to make her unconsciously cringe, but she was in a righteous kind of state as she growled deep in her throat, glaring at the fire. "Give me a sign. Give me somethin' to show me there was some fuckin' point to takin' the dark from me. I never wanted to be saved, I was better in the dark..."

The answer - at least what she believed to be the answer - came with a rippling crack through the sky. On the early morning of what she had planned to be her very last day, the sky opened up with a torrent of rain. The laughter escaped her once more as she watched the rain begin to soak the pyre, and she hunched over her cane, laughing like the mad woman she was.

<style type="text/css">
.misery {background-image:url('http://www.ghostecho.net/misery/img/final.png'); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:380px; background-color:#77A18B; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid black; padding:10px; font-family:verdana; color:#202F27; line-height:13px; font-size:11px;text-align:justify; text-shadow:1px 1px 0px #6B8F7C;}
.misery b {color:#CDCDCD;}
.misery p {text-indent:39px; margin:0px; padding:5px;}
</style>[/html]