Ashes to Ashes
[html]

Word Count :: ... :: Zalen finds out about his heritage from the ghost of his grandmother. Dated 8/6/11.

Ruby POV

Burned… it was all burned away. The trees were blackened husks, the grasses nothing but dust. A cruel, hot wind swept over the once fertile lands, howling in dismay and agony at the memories and lives lost there. Her spirit flew amongst this wind, what remained of her earthly soul howling with it. This had once been her land. She had lived here, she had loved and fought here. And now it was nothing but a desolate land ravaged by an inferno. Here her spirit had wandered for years, in constant search of life, but finding none she had begun to drift apart even in this form.

There was no energy here and she listed about formless and stupid, unable to form thoughts or words. She was just a entity of burning emotions and memories that would not stop. She had been forgotten it seemed, no wolf heart had memory of her. This earthly part of her yearned for someone’s presence, anyone, but instead she was left to cohort with dirt and decay.

Her spirit now drifted to the outskirts of the land she had once called home and across the threshold she could sense the living, but could not go there, it was beyond her power. The wind wailed her anguish.

Zalen POV

It had been two days now that Zalen had been traveling east. He had passed the borders of Anathema that night he had been attacked the golden wolfess. He recalled how he had searched out Panda to tend to his wounds and instead had found the pregnant coywolf Gemma. Hesitantly and without grace in conversation he had allowed her apply salve and bandage to the bite wound on his back. She had tried to convince her of the more admirable qualities of her race that night, which had both confused and infuriated him. Ever since the death of his mother he had harbored extreme discrimination against coyotes and to him they were nothing more then violent beasts. But now he didn't know what to think, his two run ins with coyotes thus far had left him unscathed. Both white females with wolf in their blood as well, both kind enough to help him. It didn't seem right to their nature. He had left the territories he had known to sort out these thoughts as well as to make himself disappear for a while lest the golden wolfess return with a vengeance.

Zalen had been traveling through a dense wood where the trees seemed to moan as their branches rubbed together in the breeze. The scents here were very old making him realize that no soul had ventured here for some time. He had been gradually moving upwards, crossed a large river, and now the trees were thinning. He smelled something on the air, something unfamiliar. When the tree finally broke he found himself on a cliff face overlooking the territory in front of him. He could not help but to gasp. The world was nothing much a burnt skeleton of a thing as far as he could see. In the setting sun it nearly looked hellish. All that remained were several patches of tree skeletons, blackened. It took a moment for this sudden visage to sink in. If anyone lived here, he wished to meet them to have them explain what had happened. Zalen lifted his muzzle and let a deep howl out into the sky which echoed in the canyon below.

Ruby POV

What had that been? A sound? A sound mixed in to the cries of the wind? Someone was here, a soul had come! But where was he? Gathering all the strength she could she searched out for this unknown being, his howl had given her hope that perhaps life was beginning to return. It did not take her long, she found his ebony form standing high upon a cliff face. She could feel his heat as her spirit moved around him. Then she saw it. The mark upon his eye and her whole existence seemed to expand. Quickly, she forced herself to rush through his body. It was so hot! Like the fires of hell. But as she exited she knew that he was her own flesh and blood. Mephiz had had a daughter and that daughter in turn had begotten this wolf who still carried on The Mark. What little was left of her soul erupted with joy and she found the ability to pull life essence from the trees, brush, and even him, to develop a body which he could see. She had so much to tell him!

Zalen POV

Silence fell around him like a blanket after he called out. Nothing but the wind stirred. He was about to turn to leave, to go back to the moaning wood to rest when the breeze picked up and swirled around him. He was confused because this breeze only seemed to move around him and leave the tree tops above unmoving. Odd. Then suddenly there was a chill that ran through his body like none he had ever experienced, it was if someone had taking his blood and replaced it with ice water. He shuddered and as quickly as it had come the chill had dissipated. What had that been? And then suddenly, he saw something not but a yard in front of him. It looked like a glowing mist at first, like something you would see on a fall morning. But then it began to take shape, grow, and Zalen felt him back up in fear. And then just moments later, in front of him soon a fully formed wolfess, slightly transparent, fur hinting of color but otherwise gossamer. Zalen gaped in shock. It was a ghost!

<style>
.freebietable-a00 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/NRMvq.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 90px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}
.freebietable-a00 p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.freebietable-a00 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.freebietable-a00 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 2708 :: Out of Character text

Ducking down Zalen backed away, his tail tucked beneath him in fear as the spirit continued to form, what seemed like particles of light being drawn from all around and adding to her form. Soon, the light tint on her coat burned bright as a fire, and her wispy form became both wolf and flame. He stared in shock and awe, unable to move, but terrified.

Ruby POV

It took much effort to do this, and it had been so long since she had tried. But the excitement that was building in her acted like a prism, reflecting her power over and over again until she could even feel the dirt beneath her paws. Finally, when it was done, and she was nearly among the tangible things again, she looked upon her prodigy. He cowered before her, the fear of a pup flashing in his eyes. What! No son of hers would be so slight before her! She was an Alphess and therefore he had the blood of an Alpha in him; there should be no fear here.

Stepping towards him then, her ghostly paws leaving scarred char marks in the dirt from her fire, she called out. A long, elegant and regal howl filled the leaves, the trees, the earth, shattering the silence and expanding the air with its power. Her voice rang out across the canyon as his had done moments ago. Then, when it faded, she turned glowing, pupiless emerald eyes to him, My son… her voice came out, created by the vibrations of the wind in the trees and the air itself. It was not the voice she had had when among the living, but it was hers none the less. Seeing that he was raptly listening she got even closer, the red light emitting from her body reflecting off his black strands, My son, I am Ruby Damaichu, mother of Mephiz Damaichu, your mother’s mother. I am so glad you have come. She then made to nuzzle him, but the heat of his living body was too much and she retreated.

Zalen POV

She was both beautiful and terrifying and as she stepped towards him he noted how flames seemed lick the earth where she touched it. This was a strong spirit, and the first he had ever encountered. His mother and adopted brothers had told him of such tales, but never something quite like this. Then, she howled, a howl that was both wolf and wind and it reverberated in his chest like thunder. It was almost as if the air was sucked from his lungs and he gasped when the sound finally ebbed away. She then stepped towards him, and he stood frozen in his spot. Was she going to kill him? Was this a demon or angel come to take him away?

But then she spoke, she called him son, and his fear mixed with pure confusion. This was not his mother, though now that he thought about it, if one were to set Lahleia on fire she might have looked similar. But then, something caught his eyes, a splash of blue amongst the wispy green of her eyes. Was that a paint mark? One like his?

She continued, and what she said nearly caused him to stumble. She called him son again, and said that she was Ruby, his great grandmother. He stood there, staring, unbelieving. It was true that his great grandmother’s name had been Ruby, but he had never heard the surname Damaichu, nor had he heard of Mephiz. Lahleia had never mentioned his grandmother before, so it could be just as well that Mephiz indeed was the name of his grandmother. But these thoughts were put on hold when the ghost wolf went to touch him. He flinched, not so much out of fear but that when she brushed against him the feel of her was like the coldest frost. But the contact seemed to discomfort her too for she stepped away.

The two stood there staring at one another, the living black wolf lying on his side panting and the dead entity flickering like a flame before him. Finally, Zalen caught his words, I am Zalen. Was all he could say for a moment, his voice sounding so quiet and miniscule to her own ethereal one. Then swallowing he continued, Are you… are you an angel? He asked stupidly. Why was it that she had come to him in this frighteningly beautiful form? Why was he so special that a ghost of his ancestor would come to speak to him?

Ruby POV

When she had stepped away she took a moment just to look at him, and also adapt to her new form, and the new sensations she was feeling. Soon, memories came rushing back, emotions she had not felt in years. Her personality also returned, and she felt nearly alive again. Then he spoke, giving his name , Zalen… She whispered in a small breeze, what a beautiful name. And he was black, black as night, black like her beautiful daughter Mephiz, black like her dearest friend Stormy. Yes, he was a strong one, despite his meek appearance. He then asked if she was an angel.

When the laughter tore through her it was almost painful, and the zephyr that caused it rattled the branches of the trees to create her giggles. She quieted quickly, and pranced a bit before him, Yes! An angel is what I am! You have awoken me from my slumber within these lands. I did not know that any of my kin still lived! She laughed again then, before calming and sitting on her ghostly haunches.

She looked at him fiercely then, becoming very curious about her dark great-great grandson, Zalen Damaichu, where do you live? Do you take refuge in the Storm pack as I once did? Or do you belong to the pack I founded, Silent Dawn? Or what of Clouded Shadows, do they still live beyond these lands? She was so excited to hear of what had happened to all these familiar things, for she had once loved them dearly in life.

Zalen’s POV

He was once again frightened as she laughed at his question, but at the same time the power of her laughter cause him to want to join him. She pranced about like a fawn and he was once again struck by her visage. But then she calmed and sat, and for a moment he believed she was a living wolf, and that all this was a trickery of light. But then asked him many questions, questions about packs he had never heard of and he pressed his ears against his head. Would she become angry once she found out that he had no knowledge of these places.

I… I have never heard of Storm, nor Silent Dawn, nor Clouded Tears. I live alone, in a den in the woods, near a pack called Anathema. He wondered how long she had been dead, if she knew of any of these places. Would the fact that all the people she had ever known were dead upset her? He did not want to be here, at the brunt of her anger.

Ruby POV

Finally he spoke, and his words brought anguish to her heart. He had never heard of those packs? The three founding packs? Were they gone? A long and terrible wine escaped her throat, No… they are gone then. She wanted to weep. He mentioned though a pack called Anathema, one she had never heard of. Perhaps, upon the death of Storm, Silent Dawn and Clouded Tears other packs were born forth from the ashes. This brought her joy and hope, for even she knew the tides of change could not be stopped.

Content then, she stood and walked to look down upon the burnt valley, I once lived here, as Alphess of Silent Dawn. It was a beautiful place, and the packs were fruitful and multiplied. But I abandoned this place for foolish love and never truly returned. But my heart belongs to Bleeding Souls land, and I would have remained here always… Then she turned her flickering green eyes to him, But now you have a arrived, and I can finally leave. I will cleave myself to you my son, and I will watch over and protect you wherever you go. You have the blood of Alpha’s running through your veins, you are strong like a bear, swift like an eagle. She wagged her tail behind her like a torch. She was so proud to have such a strong descendant.

Zalen POV

Now that she hadn’t gotten angry at what he had told her, and she moved away to look over the land he found the courage enough to stand and take several steps towards her. She spoke of the burnt lands, of how they had once been, about how she had a lead pack. Wait, what? She had lead a pack? If she truly was his ancestor as she said, then why had his mother never told him of such things? It must be a lie then, this spirit must be delusional. If he was descendant from kings as she so said, then he would surely have known about.

When she turned to him and praised him for his strength he shook his head, No, you must be mistaken. My mother never told me of such things. She raised me alone, we were not part of a pack and never part of any kind of leadership. It was difficult for him to talk about his mother, No, I am no Alpha, and she was no Alphess. He lowered his head. How amazing it would have been if what Ruby was saying was true, but there was just no way it could be so. His mother was quiet, soft-spoken, and filled with sorrow but she was not a liar. She would have told him of these things, wouldn’t she?

Ruby POV

Her words seemed to fall on deaf ears and Zalen shook his head. She cocked her head at him, confused; shouldn’t her words have lifted his spirit, made him strong? Instead, he denied her words, saying they must be folly for his mother had never spoken of it. Ruby was aghast at this. Her own grand-daughter had not spoken of her? Had not told him of Silent Dawn and the others? Had not told him of his birth right?!

No! She cried out, the energy from her wispy body shooting up and outwards in blood red flames that licked the top the trees, her emerald eyes turning a burning white in her anger and as she spoke, hot flames shot from her maw, It is she who was lying! She denied you your birth right Zalen! You are my descendant and the descendants of great wolves! HOW DARE SHE! She snarled, the sound like that of breaking boulders.

She paced, fire springing forth from her steps until finally she cooled, No, Zalen, you are who I say. Your blood runs hot. I do not know what happened to your mother that she would feed you lies from her breast. It is a sad thing, but you must put her words aside. Listen to what I have to say to you for it is the truth, and I could not possibly lie now. She looked at him sorrowfully, because there was no reason for her to lie now that she no longer lived. She wanted Zalen to fulfill his destiny as she saw it to be, for she was sure Stormy and Moony’s descendants ruled the land, perhaps even this Anathema that he spoke of. Yes, Zalen must rise to take him place among them as alpha, there could be no other way.

Zalen’s POV

Then finally, the wrath he had been expecting, and it was just as powerful and terrifying as he had believed it would be. Ruby seemed to explode like a volcano, her fur flying around her like an Inferno as she cried out. He cowered again, but less this time, for as fiery as she seemed to be if anything the air became colder. He listened to her words, listened as she berated his mother and he became angry. Not at Ruby for saying what she said, but at his mother, for if it was true then his entire childhood had been a lie. Why would she have kept this from him? Why had they lived in the wilderness, alone and forgotten when they could have been here, living among those who would welcome him? Why had the not continued to be part of the Damaichu family. What had Lahleia been so afraid of!?

She quieted then, and though he had his head bowed in anguish his ebony ears were turned his words as she spoke his destiny to him. He was to continue in the footsteps of his ancestors and become what he was born to be, a leader. Not a lone wolf hiding in a den in a forest with no purpose. No, he had a purpose, and he was meant to fulfill it! Looking up then, Zalen noticed that Ruby seemed to fading, melting, and looked tired. He stood, and walked over to her, Will I see you again?

Ruby’s POV

The burst of energy she had just put forth drained her and she already felt herself drifting away into the winds. But she clung to Zalen, cleaved herself to him like he was a life-raft in treacherous waters. Even now she could feel herself become one with his essence, and knew that she no longer was attached to the land below them but to he instead. He walked over to her, and spoke, and she nearly could not hear him from the buzzing in her mind as she became intangible again. But, mustering up what strength she could she answered him, Yes… I will always be with you. And then, like dust blown away in the wind she was gone from the physical realm.

Though she no longer had a body, she still had a spirit, a mind, and she watched as Zalen searched for any trace of her before turning to leave this place. As expected, she felt herself being tugged along with him, as if there were a line that connected them both. As they moved, she chanced a look back at the lands she had once loved, but quickly turned her gaze forward. After a time, in the distance, she could see the soft circles traced in the sky by a hawk, and as they neared she pushed her spirit up into its wings, letting loose from it two crimson feathers that fell slowly to the ground towards Zalen like falling snow. This was her gift for him, for it was tradition for the heads of the Damaichu family to adorn their hair with feathers.

Zalen POV

She disappeared before him and he took a moment to look around, to make sure she hadn’t melted into the trees or some other such strange thing. But she was gone, and quickly he turned to leave this place, eagerness in his step as he trotted off. His mind roiled with all the things he had just learned and the strangeness in which he had learned it. He could not believe that his ancestor had appeared to him in such a way, but he felt blessed as well. But then, there was the searing pain that was the knowledge his mother had lied to him, kept from him his heritage for God knew what reason. He hated her for it, for it could have been knowledge that would have helped him in the anguish of her passing.

Suddenly, he was compelled to look up, just in time to see two large, red feathers fall to the ground at his feet. He paused to look at them, and then back up to see the hawk that had let them loose screech out hauntingly. This was no coincidence, these were a gift from Ruby. He hesitated, but then leaned down to pick the feathers up gently between white teeth, before hurrying back into ‘Souls land.

<style>
.heraldictxt-box {background-image:url(http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/ ... /ruby2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:459px; height:168px; margin:3px; }
.heraldictxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px; width:459px;}
.heraldictxt p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justified; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.heraldictxt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.heraldictxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]