Odd Man Out
[html]OoC: This is just Slay wandering around the border, while everyone else is having their private threads. He feels lonely. ^^ So anyone is welcome to hop in and amuse him, or he can just be wandering around.

The muscular black-and-white male shambled along, his pale blue eyes sweeping around the seemingly deserted pack territory. The pack had now been formed for a fair amount of time, and yet, he hadn't really explored the land on his own. "I really am too laid-back," he noted with a wry smile. He waited for everything to fall in his lap, and of course, that never happens in real life...

As his wide paws padded on the muddy grass towards the edge of the field, he spotted several tracks that were almost his size. Certainly not one of the girls. As Slay lowered his muzzle to catch the scent, he realized it was male... A bristle rippled down his spine, fur prickling with automatic rejection. He didn't want males here. He wanted everything to stay serene and safe, no testosterone, no fighting and wooing and drama. A foolish wish that could never happen. With a grunt, he shook his ruff and moved on. The tracks were old anyway. The stranger had probably left.

Lost in his musing, Slay stumbled across signs of another visitor, and another. He hadn't realized that so many curious wolves had entered their Dahlia de Mai sanctuary. He hadn't seen Mew or Hanna or Colibri for days... Was everything okay? He thought he'd heard a pained howl several nights ago, but when he rose from his fitful sleep, all was silent, and he had no idea what direction it had come from. He hadn't mentioned it to Cercelee, probably because it hadn't come up, but he never settled on a specific den or dwelling to sleep in. He was too uncomfortable with enclosed spaces to sleep anywhere but out in the open, so he generally chose a soft spot in the graveyard to slumber, and of course, wherever he happened to drop during the day.

Come to think of it, he hadn't seen Cercelee of late, either. She was the one he felt closest to, of course, the spunky young leader, who loved to tease and play with him. Some of the things she said seemed to hint that she even wanted more than a friendship, but he wasn't sure how exactly to approach that subject. Cer was pretty, to be sure, and age wasn't that much of a concern of his. It was just... He knew he would let her down, if she actually expected anything of him. But he couldn't deny that he enjoyed their games of wit. Slay felt his muzzle crinkle into a grin, remembering their last banter. It was good to have an actual friend, even if she was his superior in rank. She wasn't old enough to realize that she could hold it over him. Slay sighed, dropping to his haunches. As leader, she was probably seeing these visitors, and taking care of things. Perhaps he was forgotten already. After all, he was more of a burden than anything. He was given the rank of hunter, but after that one hunt together, they had all wandered off to catch their own small game. The fields were abundant with rabbits, and there were fish up and down the coast, so his position was rather pointless.
"Maybe this is just the way things are in life... I figured a pack would be different, but I might as well be a loner again."

He stifled a yawn, pale eyes fluttering shut for a moment as his bad sleeping habits caught up with him. He shook it off, though, gazing up curiously at the sun. It was the one thing that had remained constant in his wanderings, always warming the ebony patches of his thick fur when he trotted along to nowhere. "Well, I haven't done this in a while," he murmured with a drowsy smile, settled onto his side on the still-damp grass to sunbathe.

[/html]

[html]
No, the stranger had not left. The other male was still around, although his movements were swift, and he had actively avoided the members with the sole exception of Mew, which had been the main reason for his visits. The scent of the flowery pack land has in the meantime been very kind and granted him some of its scent. It was ideal. Iskata could so easily ruin it all, and the beast was still enraged of the child's escape out to the proper world. He hoped for her sake that she was not throwing her knowledge around, or else he would track her down to let her know how he felt about it. To be short, he was far from happy about it.

The male's sunbathe in the distance was a good idea, and Haku slowly drifted towards the male. The sun had been scarce lately, and it was nothing but natural to enjoy the sunshine while they had it. Haku's pelt had not absorbed the scent of the pack land entirely, but he could possibly pass as a newcomer without the larger and oddly colored male that was growing and growing as he came closer. "Clouds are marching along, singing a song. Just like they dooo." Oh, Haku was just too merry, his voice was bright and clear, and of course, pretty as always. He disliked surprising canines when he was doing one of his more friendly approaches.

"If the clouds were singing a soong, I'd sing along. Wouldn't you, tooo?" Voice higher, last piece of lyric sung served as a question for the other male to answer as well. Now, if clouds were singing songs, would this male here sing along? Blue eyes peered curiously down at the male, and his face was just as merry as his voice, and he expressed nothing but friendly curiosity. He already considered himself a member of the pack, even though he had been chased away by Colibri. It would have been embarrassing if he had held any respect for the supposable Rosea, alphess. Cercelee stood in depth to him. He just had to make his mind up, clock was ticking.

[/html]
[html]

In his half-asleep state, Slay didn't quite comprehend where the melody was coming from, and he lazily hummed along to the tuneless ditty. That is, until he spotted the stranger who was singing. Pale blue eyes snapped open as his adrenaline spiked, and the arctic wolf scrabbled against the grass to right himself, at least to a seated position.

"Wh-what the - how did you sneak up on me?!" was the first phrase that sputtered out of the startled male's mouth. He felt more indignant than threatened - after all, approaching someone while singing a song wasn't exactly a way to start a fight. This was his pack's land, but this newcomer smelled like he'd been here for a little while already. Had he been accepted as a packmate? Were they comrades now? No, he didn't have that strong of a scent. He was a squatter, then? Was Slay supposed to drive him off? He really didn't feel up to it... Actually, that struck a chord. Moments ago he'd felt such animosity towards the trespassers he'd uncovered, and now, meeting one face-to-face, he could really care less. Perhaps this stranger was different than most...

Slay coughed awkwardly, trying to smooth out his ruffled black-and-white fur and regain his dignity. "I, I mean, who are you...? Do you have business here with... Dahlia de Mai?" Slay resisted biting his lip - dammit, that didn't sound right either. Could he just start over? Why was he so awkward when it came to socializing?
He studied the chocolate-and-cream-furred wolf before him for a moment, noting how open and friendly he seemed. Almost too friendly - they were about the same age, weren't they? But this guy acted more like a puppy. Interesting. Maybe he wouldn't mind that Slay was acting like an imbecile.

"You have a beautiful singing voice," he muttered, finally saying what he wanted to in the first place. Did this stranger expect him to sing along, too? It sounded that way, and if he hadn't been startled out of his wits, he probably would've jumped right into the ditty. He did like to sing. But after he'd spoken normally, wasn't it too late?

[/html]

[html]
He had surprised the male anyway, and the oddly furred beast got himself into a sitting position. Haku remained silent, wondering how the male before him could dream so heavily that he did not wake up before beings were so close. The male stumbled in his words, did not seem to know how to respond. That was no problem, it just gave Haku more free space to play the upper hand if he pleased. This was time for establishing contact though, not much else. The chocolate coated male kept the friendly mask on and just smiled at the uncertain beast before him. This fellow would seem to be no problem in the future, but he was slightly larger than Haku, and even teddy bears had ugly and dangerous sides.

”I am Haku Soul, and yes, I hear that often.” He was slightly arrogant in his voice, but he actually got to hear it quite a bit. It was unfortunately true, Haku had both his appearance and voice especially blessed. That made up for his wicked mentality, he supposed. No, he was not crazy, he was just.. original, special. He studied the male rather obviously. ”Who might you be?”

[/html]
[html]
There was something decidedly odd about the fellow, but to be honest with himself, Slay didn't find him threatening. He was more intrigued than anything... and since he had been looking for something to do, this was a welcome diversion. He gave his familiar lop-sided smile, slipping back into his easy-going mannerisms. There was nothing to worry about, so he let himself relax.

"Call me Slay, Haku. I'm the lead hunter in the pack who's land you're on."
He drawled nonchalantly, without a trace of accusation. Merely stating the facts, in case this Haku was wondering. Maybe the wanderer didn't know he was trespassing...? But Slay felt no desire to chase him off, not if he wasn't causing any problems. Had he met with the girls?

The ebony and alabaster-furred male yawned deeply, shaking his ruff to fend off the edging drowsiness. Oh, he wasn't going to fall asleep in front of his new acquaintance, was he? Narcolepsy was such an inconvenience when it came to forging relationships...
"Have you been here long, friend Haku? I could catch you something to eat, I spose, if you felt like food... I've nothing better to do. Or we could both lay in the sun," he mused aloud, letting his icy blue eyes wander across the grassy plain.

[/html]

[html]
The chocolate male raised his eyebrows and nodded vaguely as Slay presented himself with name and the position of lead hunter. It was quite obvious that he was trespassing on Dahlia's soil, he did not need to have it pointed out. He was pleased with the treatment from the member that saw him as a trespasser, so it was acceptable. Haku knew he would be a part of this pathetic little crowd in a matter of time, so it would be wise to establish good feelings. He silently witnessed the yawn and the slight drowsiness that flashed across the male's eyes, and Haku's interest rose instantly. However, he was surprised Slay had yet to figure out the family ties the trespasser shared with the majority of the pack members of Dahlia.

"My hunger has already been satisfied, sir, but a sun bath would be lovely." The beast let his body hit the ground heavily and flexed light creamy limbs, revealing his white and cream underside to the sun. "I am a regular guest, but soon I plan to stay with you as one of the crowd. Very soon." No reason to tip toe around facts, so this Slay might as well get to know sooner than later that they would live side by side soon enough. "You are the only male within the boundaries of Dahlia, is that not correct?" The grin stayed glued to the Sadira's face, but his blue eyes closed and face turned to the sun. [/html]

[html]
OoC: Whoops, this one got a little out-of-date, so I guess I shouldn't drag this out much longer. ^^; I'd like to maybe start a new thread, though...? So that Slay can get all threatened by having a new male in the pack? C:

BiC:

"Y-yes, I am," Slay murmured, beginning to feel the stirrings of discomfort. Haku wasn't laid-back like himself - there was ambition behind those bright eyes of his. The way he was asking such casual, weighted questions... Like he was finishing up his calculations, and just needed a little more data to make his move. It made Slay's skin crawl, the sudden realization that the oddness was threatening after all.

"I am the only male here," he re-stated firmly, "-but that doesn't really mean much. The ladies here are more than capable of running things." Hm, was that really true? Colibri had experience, but had so much baggage, no one ever saw her anymore. And Cercelee was younger than him, never led before, and liked to wander away. Maybe that was a bit of a fabrication... Slay shook his ruff, rolling onto his belly so that he sat upright. He tilted his head, gazing curiously at the reclining chocolate-and-cream male beside him. This fellow had different fur from everyone else in the pack. It shouldn't make a difference, wolves should be all different colours, but it was yet another oddity that made Slay a bit uncomfortable. He could only hope that it wouldn't mean anything ominous for their future.

[/html]