Pet species that have survived?
Out of interest, if humans were keeping more exotic pets, such as hairless dogs, wild dogs, big cats and the like is it plausible that once all the humans were dead that they escaped and bred with others of their species (if they lived in an area where exotic breed pets were quite common) and then their offspring made their way North to 'Souls through the US?
Theoretically, that should be the only thing they do, if they survive. Little pets, exotic or not, probably would have been prey pretty quickly and disappeared, but big cats I guess would have been fine. Hairless dogs are usually small, so I don't know how they would survive, although I guess they could have bred before getting eaten. :o

Most of these pets might not be comfortable with leaving their home territory though, and only birds make regular migrations, so if you had an idea for a NPC pet or whatnot, I'd say just make sure there is good reasoning as to how it was born if it's of weird breeding, and also have a relatively justified reason for how it got to where it did, even if it's because another Luperci trapped it and took it, etc.

Keep in mind that if these animals originated in a place where "exotic breeding was common," it's possible many of these animals' natural instincts were bred out of them. They might be bad hunters and fighters, and thus managing to get up north to the 'Souls area might be unlikely to even impossible. Just a thought though!

If the breeding seems a little too exotic, or if anything seems like it might be pushing the limits, definitely just pop the SA a PM with your concerns and ideas and see if they have any qualms with it. :3

I have no guide on all of this, so if I'm wrong anywhere here, feel free to correct me, SA. Big Grin
Dogs are prevalent everywhere, but as to the survival of each breed -- it's up in the air. Personally, I prefer to see dog characterss as having unknown or mixed heritages, but I'm not nitpicky if someone has a plausible explanation for playing a purebred dog or mostly purebred dog. They do exist, especially with the rise of more intelligent canines, who may wish to preserve their own lineages. Hairless dogs in particular, though, would probably have a fair bit of difficulty surviving in colder climates. :c See Dogs on the species guide.

Big cats would probably have difficulty finding partners with one another, as well as adapting to cold climates. Additionally, Luperci wouldn't find it easy to keep many big cats as pets -- cats are intelligent enough to communicate in their own dialect of high speech and so in many cases would be more of a friend/companion rather than a pet. Or a slave. :p

Eris's cat is an ocelot she brought with her from Eterne -- they're smaller cats, and Itzcitla also does not speak (technically -- he understands Spanish and a few words in English, but doesn't speak because no one taught him how and when he tries it's garbled and nobody understands poor him :c). He's also very independent for Eris's "pet." She tried to raise a cougar along with Ouija, but once Eris's cat got big enough it started being a bully so she had to kill it off. X3 I'm assuming the same would happen with many other big cats -- lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars -- if a Luperci tried to keep them as pets.
It depends on the species. Many wild dogs in the american continent (specielly in the north) have already been infected by the virus, but i do not doubt that there are some uninfected canines still roaming around which would do perfect pets.

Hairless dogs, as Sie said, are quite delicate and can't stand the cold weather of Canada for long periods of time. Besides, some individuals may need special care of the skin if the weather is very dry. As for big cats...i think that the only 'big cat' that that a Luperci would be able to keep around without running any serious danger would be a cheetah, since these are the most tame of the big cats. Now, mountain lions are also an option, but they are very dangerous as well, but easier to tame if the owner rises the cat from an early age. An alternative could be a linx, but that is only a personal opinion :3

As for other exotic species (i.e. bats, ferrets, birds, reptiles, etc.) you will have to see how adaptable are them.

And as lin mentioned, you have to have in mind the fact that animals kept in captivity are likely to loose their instincts be unable to survive on their own. I am not saying that they can't, though. But that is a point to have in mind.
It would also depend on what breed you are looking at as well. Some breeds require permits to be able to keep in certain states. And you would have to think of how many people would be able to afford the care of them and able to get permits.
Ah thanks for the advice guys Smile I can see the problems with the big cats and some of the animals that require warmer climates. Shall have a bit of a research and then see if I can find a plausible reason for what I want to be where I want it Smile I also had not thought of the loss of the survival instinct, shall have to have a think about it all now XD