Paint it black
Somewhere between Inferni and home he'd lost track of time. When he'd realized what time it was...days later than it should have been... he also realized he was rubbing his face with a hand. He looked at his hand, flexing the fingers. Sharp claws had burst from the tips, and he tested them against the bark of the border tree. A strange satisfaction came from him as he slowly carved a symbol into the bark. A small butterfly now adorned the tree in between all the pretty drawings and well written words. He wanted to burn the tree. He stared at it, his ears laid back in aggression.

A sound, and his head swiveled. A dark shadow stood mere feet away. He blinked. The shadow didn't move, its soulless eyes watching him. Liam's lips formed the words he didn't speak. Shadow wolf. He lowered his head, charging it. Two parts fool, one part brave. He collided with the tree. His shoulder ached. He slid down the tree, holding his sore shoulder.

Overhead, the sky began to lighten. Liam rested his hands over his knees, his russet mane falling over his eyes. His father's mane was scruffy, but short. Liam's was a little longer. He had begun to fill out into his larger proportions. Muscles were beginning to become more defined under the baby fat that was melting away. He would, in the end, stand taller than his father. He wouldn't be a giant by any means, but he wouldn't be short either. Golden eyes stared at the rising sun, watching the sky light itself on fire. Father had told him tales of the great fire that had destroyed the older lands. He wished he could have seen it, he wished he could have watched the Shadows dancing in pain.

He licked his lips, his golden eyes distant, something dark burning inside of him.
[html]
your ooc jabber will go here

She had to keep the peace within her pack - she had to let certain members know what would and what would not be allowed. She lopped along the grounds in an Optime form, no clothes on her body, her muscles and lean stature in full view. Her russet-colored hair gleamed in the sun's rays; the light outside was getting lighter as the day drew on. She was here for a purpose, rather than simply patrolling the lands like she usually did; she was here to speak to the son of Taliesin, Liam.

Jade Opal had told her what had happened - even though Skye had been slightly angry with the woman for trespassing on Crimson Dreams land, that was over now, and Liam had been younger then. However, he was growing into a formidable opponent to any that opposed him, and Jade had told her what he had said about 'destroying the shadows like her'. Skye would not allow any sort of prejudice to crush her pack like this; threats must be dealt with, and if Liam insisted on threatening his packmates, she would have no choice but to punish the boy.

She suddenly heard a loud noise, like someone had crashed into something. Moving towards it, she saw the person she was looking for, laying on the ground. He smelled of Inferni still, and she noted that he had been gone for several days, more than he should have been.

"Liam," she said, her tone stern, "I must speak with you."

<style type="text/css">
.freebjuly16 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e6d4bf; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #514332; }
.freebjuly16 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.freebjuly16 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6ac69; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... uly16a.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #796246; padding: 130px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#59452d; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+
[/html]
The male's golden eyes drifted to see who spoke to him. The butterflies whispered of caution as his eyes darkened. He inclined his head politely, something mechanical about it. "Lady Skye. What shall we speak of?" There was something less than respect in his voice, something almost mocking. There was also a flatness to his voice, a lack of inflection that hinted at the deeper problems he'd inherited through his mother.

He didn't stand, but rather he leaned back against the tree, crossing his arms behind his head as though he'd done it a thousand times before. His legs remained as they were, feet planted on the ground, knees bent comfortably. He was a typical teenager with his subtle posture cues, he respected her position, but he did not fear her as a leader. He would have more respect for another male in the position of leader. Females were females, meant for breeding. Females were not meant to be leaders.

Liam lifted his eyebrows and watched the leader expectantly.
[html]
your ooc jabber will go here

Skye narrowed her eyes at the boy's callous and mocking tone, at his casual posture and the way he raised his eyebrows, as if he were waiting for a response already in the short time that she spoke. She could see that she should have spoken to him earlier than this; the almost blatant disrespect that others would tolerate, but not her, was inexcusable. Her eyes narrowed dangerously even more; perhaps she needed to have quite the long talk with Liam.

"I expect to receive more respect than that, Liam," she said coldly and softly, although it was clear through her voice that she was disappointed and unhappy with his posture and eyebrow-raising. "As for what we need to talk about, it is about your attitude in the pack. I have heard that you were threatening pack members - this is something that I will not tolerate within Cercatori d'Arte." She was, of course, referring to Jade's words, although she did not say the woman's name as to protect her privacy. Her unchanging and unblinking gaze bore through him like a bullet; she would not tolerate his behavior, and she would not tolerate it if he lied and said he had never threatened anyone either.

<style type="text/css">
.freebjuly16 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e6d4bf; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #514332; }
.freebjuly16 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6ac69; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... uly16a.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #796246; padding: 130px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#59452d; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+
[/html]
((derp. wrong account))
She expected more respect? His eyes darkened again, his expression clouding over. He stood, bowing deeply and speaking stiffly. "My apologies, Mistress, I did not mean to offend." He straightened, crossing his arms in a classic subconscious defensive position. When she spoke of him threatening a pack member, his eyes narrowed. Jade. Had to be. She was one of the few he'd spoken to besides his father. At least inside the pack's borders.

"Did Jade tell you how she keeps following me? Yes, I threatened her. I said 'Curiousity killed the cat.' " He wasn't lying, per-say. He honestly didn't remember what else he said to her, about the butterflies telling him to persecute the shadow wolves. His golden eyes lifted to the leader, looking at something over her shoulder rather than looking directly at her.
[html]
sorry for the wait!

Skye's expression clouded further as the boy remained stoic and dark. He was clearly not used to treating authority with respect - this was something that had to be amended, she thought as he crossed his arms and stared at her, anger in his eyes. He couldn't continue to do this and do nothing for the pack in return except threaten their members - that was something that she wouldn't allow.

And what was this? Curiosity killed the cat? "The person we speak of also mentioned that you said something about 'killing the shadow wolves'." Skye had never really thought much of discrimination based on fur in wolves (the possibilities were so diverse that it'd be quite hard to discriminate in the first place), but she thought that that was quite ominous. "Shadow wolves" could mean anything, technically, but Skye had reason to believe that it was about black wolves in particular. And that was not alright with her.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+
[/html]
((Wc:3+))
The mention of shadow wolves triggered the muddy hued male, and he nodded. He wouldn't lie about it. He'd give her the honest truth. "Yes, Mistress, I did say that. The shadow wolves are evil." His eyes narrowed and he watched her. "A shadow wolf killed my sisters and mother. His name was Azza. He was my half brother. His father was a shadow wolf, and he tried to keep my father as a slave. His name was Odadio. A shadow wolf named Lucifer, my father's father. He raped my father. He threatened to kill my father, threatened to kill me. He marked my father with the earrings he wears, told him if he removed them or told anyone, he'd come back and kill me. Shadow wolves stalk me everywhere I go." His golden eyes were blazing, alight with the fervent belief he was chosen to deliver the world from the evil of the shadow wolves.

His voice was softer but no less fiery when he spoke again. "Do you think I can let these crimes against my father and I go unpunished? My father is no warrior, he is a scholar. He doesn't have the guts to avenge my sisters, my mother, or himself. He would rather preach peace than acknowledge that sometimes justice and revenge go hand in hand." He believed every word he said. He believed he was a force of good, rather than a disturbed young man who suffered too many losses, and inherited bad blood. The sad thing was, he expected the leader to believe him as well.

He lowered his voice to a whisper, as if sharing a secret. His eyes glittered with the fanatical fervor he felt. "The flames will purify them in the end, Skye. They will be destroyed, their evil unable to visit harm on me or my family again."
[html]

The female could see how Liam would want to avenge his mother and sister, but the way he described 'shadow' wolves was just disgusting to her. She narrowed her eyes in confusion, distaste, and anger as he described to her that 'fire shall purify' them. But even as she did, there was an inch of understanding in those eyes - she wasn't the oldest or the wisest, but she could see that the boy thought that he was telling the truth, and understood that he thought he knew what he was saying. And that was what disturbed her even more.

"Liam," she said in a more gentle and understanding voice than before, although still stern, "All black wolves aren't evil. You may have had bad experiences with black wolves, and I understand how that'd make you want revenge - but the ones that did those things, although evil, aren't who all black wolves are. There are black wolves out there that are innocent of crimes, and wouldn't hurt anyone - trust me when I say, Liam, that all black wolves aren't evil. I accepted Jade in the pack myself, and I wouldn't have accepted someone who was evil just because she had black fur. Trust me, Liam."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+
[/html]
His eyebrows shot up as she once again argued with him that the shadow wolves weren't evil. He crossed his arms again, shaking his head as if she were the child who didn't understand that fire was hot and would burn if you touched it. "The leader of Inferni understood me better than you." He snorted soft disdainful laughter. "He called the shadow wolves demons, but he understood me." The young male once again wished he was a coyote so he could be around those who truly understood. Surely if the scarred leader of Inferni understood him, the other coyotes would understand him too.

He cocked his head, dropping the vague submission he had showed. "He was someone I could respect. You are small, Skye. I don't fear you, and I don't respect you as a wolf. It is your position of leader I respect." A sneer formed on his face. "Someday someone strong will replace you. Except no truly strong male will want to come to this land of dreamers and artists. So I guess this highbrow pack will fall someday instead." He stared at her, then shrugged. "If you're done lecturing me, I have things I want to do,M'Lady." The honorific was a taunting sneer.
[html]

Skye's eyes narrowed dangerously as Liam strayed into dangerous territory - saying that the leader understood him better than her, and that... the Inferni leader was someone that he could respect? She listened with anger as he continued on, saying that he did not respect her as a leader - and that, it seemed, only a male would be able to lead the pack, not herself. As he finished his speech, her ears were flat against her skull, her eyes were narrowed, her tail high, and her head proud and stature tall. Even to someone who didn't respect her, she would look quite frightening and a challenging opponent - her belt containing her knife glimmered, and her wiry and lean muscles tensed at the insults that the insolent pup threw at her.

"You disappoint me, Liam," she said, her voice soft and dangerously low - although her yelling at him may have been more shocking at first, it was clear that this was the voice that meant business, and this was the voice that was the more dangerous and threatening. "I had hoped, when I saw you as just a small pup, you would grow into someone honorable, someone respectful like your father. All I see now is an insolent teenager, not yet even near an adult, insulting and disrespecting his leader, who he claims not to fear." Her tail never swayed from its high and proud position, and she looked at him with disdain - she was older than him, infinitely higher in rank than him, a more skilled and experienced fighter than him. All he was was a disrespectful teenager, and that had to change. She would not tolerate such attitude and insolence in her pack.

"I do not care if you have things to do," she said disdainfully. "Neither should you when speaking to someone who is older, higher in rank, and a better fighter than you. However, if you think so highly of yourself and so little of others, perhaps you will learn as a Traditore - the lowest rank. Perhaps then you will learn what respect and honor truly mean."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+
[/html]
[html]
We could call this done there soon?

His head jerked up, his eyes narrowing. Her words about his father caused him to snort disdainfully. "Please. My father is a dreamer and a tree hugging hippie. I don't have to be just like him. He lives in the same past his mother did. I don't want to be like them." His ears pinned back as she seemed to grow taller, something fiercer about her that almost -ALMOST- brought some respect into his face. And then she knocked him down in rank, and he growled softly.

Traditore. He'd have to listen to everyone and obey their every little whim. He sneered. "Good luck with that, Skye. I don't give a rip what you think about me, or what anyone thinks about me. I know what honor and respect are." His unspoken words intimated that she was worth neither one from his point of view. And yet, there was something, something almost wary in his eyes. There was something that had spooked him, something about her. He couldn't put a finger on it, though. Perhaps it was the fearless way she looked at him, it reminded him of someone else.

Almost absently, he looked down, centuries of instinct forcing his hand while he was unaware of it. Her tone of voice, the way she stared at him, all caused him to submit, even if it was all instinctual instead of deliberate.

<style type="text/css">
.liamr1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#e9f2f9;}
.liamr1 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.liamr1 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#0A0E39; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/0IJKL.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #8F979C; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 160px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8F979C; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 000
[/html]