As the Eagle Flies
1. Character Name: WindSeeker Icefur
2. Character Birthdate (including year): March 21st, 2006
3. Whether s/he is a regular wolf or a Luperci (not applicable to non-canines): Luperci
4. Species (not applicable to canines):
5. Gender: Female
6. Your e-mail: windseeker@gmail.com or wolfgirl239@yahoo.com (either works)
7. A secondary form of contact (AIM, MSN, Y!M). AIM: WindSeekyr
8. How did you learn/hear about 'Souls?: Sonia's Lj
9. Initial post:
OC: I already filled out my profile and such, so if there's anything I need to change/elaborate on, can someone let me know. I want to make sure I did everything right/am following all the rules ^^;

IC
"Town ahead," came Etalpalli's voice from above. Nerves jangled around in the belly of the small brilliantly white Luperci who moved through the afternoon, flicking her ears this way and that, to best catch sounds the rain muffled in the woods. Wind liked the rain, it gave the world a sense of closeness, as it hushed many subtle noises. She liked it when she slept rather, because today she did not want to miss an important noise, something that would let her know she had canine company. It wasn't as if she couldn't see, no, she could, it just wasn't well. Sapphire eyes, one seeing, the other blind flicked up to the grey eagle, so very out of her range, but then Etalpalli had never seen the proper home of her species, the Amazonian rainforest, thousands of miles south, in a land the blind she could not picture. Etal was descended from birds kept by humans in captivity. Supposedly, the humans had hoped to save the rare grey eagles. Wind, and Etal, for that matter, could both admit they really hadn't payed that much attention in their History lessons. The odd pair had an interesting history themselves, though neither really thought of it. "Tree root, 12 O'clock!"

"What?" The little white female had no more than finished the query when her paw caught in said tree root, throwing her momentarily off balance. WindSeeker scowled, more at herself than at anything else. She should be more alert, especially here. First impressions and all. She shook herself, righting the pack she carried, holding the end with her jaws. She could do this, she knew she could. Partial blindness wasn't an end all to being accepted into a pack, was it? Well, it wasn't as if her previous experiences with the few and far between packs she'd encountered in her travels had been particularly encouraging. Maybe she'd be lucky and get the chance to show her worth to whoever lived here. She'd like to live here, it had streets, and human dwellings. Not that the forest wasn't good, but with her limited vision, it was so much easier to get around when there were streets... With the huge gray bird gliding silently overhead, the little wolf continued on in the rain to wait at the border of the pack's territory.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/ ... /ceres.gif); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
ooc

Perhaps she was a failure. Again she was returning, not patrolling the borders when she stumbled upon the newcomer. Too much had happened the past few weeks, although she appeared stoic, she couldn’t help mull it over in her spare time, which she had a lot of. Most of the events she held at bay, the night with Red, her talk with Laruku and other family members, those were forgotten easily enough, but the encounter with Haku and then Colibri’s words persisted. Cercelee only allowed the memory because she felt it pertained to the wellness of her pack, and yet despite her concern for the pack she spent no time there. It was easier to think outside the air of the pack. Still she occasionally made her check ups, and would spend the night inside the borders, and upon her return she came upon the female.

And the female was not alone. It took Cercelee longer to notice the bird up above, but he wasn’t a concern of her. The wolf was her own species, and therefore first priority, and it seemed the two were traveling together anyway. Approaching, Cercelee noted that the female coloring. White pelt, blue eyes. They matched, both slim and slender, and both looked similar to Mew and Colibri. Yet it wasn’t too surprising, the arctic coloring seemed to be growing more numerous, and would only do so as more generations were born. Still the female’s nose was grey, not black, and Cercelee smiled at the face with a strange nose. It was good to be different. "Friend or foe?" Her voice was melodic, friendly as well, but controlled. Cer let her navy eyes wander up to the bird, as if to indicate that she wished to know his standings as well, and then back to the female, patiently waiting to hear her reply.

[/html]
Sorry, Kris, I was trying to get to this but kept getting interrupted. But I still wanted to get in on the new joiner fun, so I just edited it around. It seems a little god-modded to me, I can edit if it ruffles any feathers.

[html]

http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/others/han_top.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: left top; width: 400px; padding: 0px;"> 
http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/others/han_bg.gif) repeat-y; width: 400px;" align="center">

Hanna liked the rain. It was the life source of her trade, the plants and roots. Never mind that it got one's fur completely soaked so you felt you'd never get dry; if it never rained, she'd never have the plants she needed to heal things. The herbalist was doing one of the most strenuous tasks her co-rank required: the actual finding and collecting of necessary herbs. Most of what she was looking for was comfrey, a good plant for healing wounds. She knew from experience; her sister had used it on her neck after an accident involving electricity and unconsciousness. Other good finds were gobs of spiderweb, because once checked for spiders and dead bugs, the substance became a Band-Aid of sorts.

Her own bag slapping at her side and her belt and knife sheathes, Hanna decided to do a little border patrol while searching for her plants. It made sense, seeing as she was already out and about. She ranged the border between the pack's forest and the city, her senses alert to visitors. A stranger's smell permeated her nose along with that of her Rosea's, and Hanna tracked the scent to where a pale femme stood with Cercelee, who'd apparently just asked how she and the bird stood in way of alignment.

Speaking so only Cercelee could hear, Hanna commented, If you like, I can take care of her. I don't think she's of any harm; I think the bird is a guide of sorts. Smiling apologetically, as it sounded as though Hanna was trying to usurp the power of the alphess, she added, equally low-pitched, You look... like you need a break. She splayed her hands in sort of a shrug, glanced at the newcomer with mismatched eyes, then returned her attentions to Cercelee again.

http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/ot ... bottom.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 27px;"> 

[/html]
Fortunately, for WindSeeker, her sense of smell was not affected by her lack of decet vision, and she scented the female before she appeared. This one smelled somewhat of the pack border she'd come to, and so Wind figured she must live here. Shifting her dark gaze over but not meeting the other female's eyes, the little female assumed the proper posture for one in her position, that being one who wished to be no threat, and perhaps a friend. Friend or Foe? the she asked. "Singer asks a silly question," commented Etal with a bit of humor. Singer was the Aquillan avian term for any wolf or Luperci not known to them. Wind glanced upward, chose not to respond as the very large gray eagle settle herself in a tree above, "Friend, I hope," she said, politely dipping her head. "I am WindSeeker, WindSeeker Icefur, formerly of the Aquilla pack, which is a long way southwest of here. And that -" she indicted the strange bird, "is Etalpalli. She assists me."
Wind wasn't sure how to approach the subject of her blindness, but at least this female was light colored and was reasonably easy to see.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/ ... /ceres.gif); background-position: center center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
ooc

Friend, I hope. Cercelee smiled easily at the female, but was unsure if the other would see it or not. Her gaze did not meet, but that might have been intentional. The bird, and Hanna’s words as the Bluet came up beside her gave her a clue. A guide. What good was a bird to assist a wolf with, but to see? "She helps you to see, yes?" Better to get it all out in the open. Turning to Hanna, she smiled at her pack mate. ”A break? Come now, I don’t look all that bad.” Her eyes swept the newcomer again, and then the eagle above. Her mind went to Sentrosi, whom she had allowed into the pack but had left promptly after acceptance. His heritage was still a mystery, but his sir name left a sour taste in her mouth. ”Well then Hanna, what would you like to ask miss Windseeker Icefur? It appears she’s no relation to the Sadiras so she’s good in my book.” The joke was cynical, and the newcomer would certainly not understand, but adding with a light laugh she lowered her voice in mock confidentiality. ”Rotten lot that family is. Flighty as...” the female looked up ”birds, no offense.” Cercelee let out a little sigh and sat back on her haunches, looking to Hanna to see how she would address Windseeker.

[/html]
OC: Hanna, XD I'm sorry for ignoring you in my previous post. You must have written it while I was typing the last one..

IC:
Dark colored wolves were always a bit tricky where Wind was concerned. Not because she had an issue with their color, it had more to do with her difficulty in reading them, or seeing them unless they were in strong light conditions. The black female startled both herself and Etal who, disgruntled, ruffled her feathers and raised her ruff of crest feathers. "Sneaky, dark Singer is, very sneaky," added the bird. Wind, aside from an instinctual jerk of muscles at the appearance of the dark female, "Hanna" listened to their short exchange, and smiled a bit in amusement at the white female's question about Etal. "Well, not really, she tells me where things are, and keeps an eye out for trouble and food." The next exchange between the two had Wind cocking her head in a fashion very similar to the gray eagle. The name Sadira range no bells for her or for Etal, and after exchanging a look with the eagle, she shook her head in confirmation that she did not know them. Etal gave what, for a bird, passed as a laugh, "Singers think they offends us. Singers think I sees for you. Singers is funny... Singers are funny." There were times when Etal noticed when she got grammar incorrect, but as Wind recalled, Etal had not much cared for schooling when she was a chick in the nest. This made it a bit difficult, and certainly amusing at times, to translate the Low Speech. [b]"She isn't easily offended... I can talk for myself..."[b] Wind glanced back at the bird, who had once again thought she should add to the conversation. She returned her attention to the two shes, ignoring Etal for the moment.
Oh, it's alright. I was trying to get that post up when Kris posted, lol... sry this is crap.. I'm disgruntled at my bf. I added you to my AIM - thirringingerfur

[html]

http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/others/han_top.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: left top; width: 400px; padding: 0px;"> 
http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/others/han_bg.gif) repeat-y; width: 400px;" align="center">

Hanna's appearance had at first seemed noticed but left unacknowledged by the newcomer and her guide, but upon further inspection, her arrival had seemed to ruffle both the canine and avian's feathers. She thought for a moment, thinking about what she did want to ask WindSeeker, then spoke to her. Since Cercelee, our Rosea, or alpha female, has no problem with you, I have a couple questions I'd like to ask before she passes her final judgement. The black femme thought back to when she'd first joined Chimera and it had been her sister asking the questions. A faint smile passed her lips, and she spoke again. First off, what do you think you can bring to this pack? What are your strengths and flaws?

Passing a glance over the hawk, who seemed very wary of Hanna and Cercelee in spite of the fact she traveled with a Luperci herself, Hanna considered asking about the bird's information as well but refrained from it in favor of a more personal question, that had little to no bearing on the pack, but rather on the female's usefulness in spite of her disability. While Wind might be able to hunt well enough with the assistance of her avian friend, she might have better use as Hanna's apprentice. Hanna had heard stories of apothecary types who were fully blind but knew their trade well enough to work in spite of it. The second question is more for me, than for the pack. What do you know of the trade of herbalism?

http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/ot ... bottom.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 27px;"> 

[/html]
[html]
ooc

Cercelee laughed a little, although she tried to hold it back. "If she tells you where things are than I think she helps you to see." And that was all. She let the conversation be controlled now by Hanna. And the questions the dark female asked were what Cercelee imagined the standard border questions were. The Rosea tried to avoid them, yet she had still asked Sentrosi why he thought he should be allowed within the pack. Now Hanna stood before the visually impaired female and was doing the same. Only Hanna also wanted to know if the female knew anything of herbs. Cercelee couldn’t help chuckle again, guessing at why Hanna wanted to know such a thing. Yet Cercelee kept her mouth shut, opting for once not to make a joke or ironical comment, though it was hard. She found that with her pack mates she joked more often, but wasn’t that the time to be more serious, especially if they viewed her as a leader? Ah well, it did not bother the young female. If they wanted her out, all they had to do was say so.

[/html]
These questions had, well the first one had, been expected, and had been mulled over by the she for some time now. "I would say my greatest 'flaw' would be that I cannot hunt effectively in the normal fashion, by that I mean chasing prey down. I might be able to if it were a completely flat open ground, but otherwise I tend to run into things." she smiled briefly and continued, "Because of this, however, I have had to learn to improvise and use certain human tools and weaponry. I can make game traps and hunt with a bow, usually a crossbow, as well as create various items.." Pausing to think, Etal interjected, "Etal can spot the Runners, and not afraid, they would be," Runners were any large hooved prey species to Etal. "I can also go around fairly unnoticed. Most seem to forget that while my vision is lacking, my other senses, especially hearing, are better than normal, and Etal says she can aid with hunting, getting a good look at the herd as she is only a threat tyo smaller deer."

Hanna's next question surprised her, and she had to think, "Well... Hmm.. Herbalism... I just know that willow bark has some kind of painkilling properties, which kinds of berries are safe to eat, grass is a weed..." She trailed off, thinking for a moment. "Poison Ivy...." Wind glanced to Etal, who was bobbing gently on her perch, remembering something that amused her, something that was not such a pleasant memory for the little ice furred wolf, "Wind should remember Poison Ivy, Wind should," Looking back at the two she wolves, Wind looked a bit sheepish, "And I know what Poison Ivy looks like.... The hard way..."
OoC: This wasn't marked private, so I figured I'd hop in for the last little bit. If it is, just ignore me! ;P
[html]

Slay reached the outskirts of the border, wandering as usual, when he stumbled upon the scene. His thick coat of black and white fur was plastered to his tall body, dripping in the rain. He wasn't a huge fan of the water, but he would ignore it. Better than snow, the arctic wolf reasoned inwardly, as his pale eyes analyzed the situation.

A new pack member. From the looks of things, she was being accepted. The male felt an ironic smile quirk onto his lips as he noted her colour and eyes right off. The bird, though, that was interesting. He'd never seen a partnership between species like that before. He'd heard that humans used to keep animals as pets, since one of his own ancestors was supposedly a Malemute from a sled dog team, but since they had gone extinct, this sort of bond was new to him.

Skirting around Hanna and the new female, Slay edged behind his friend Cercelee. They hadn't spoken for some time now, and it was nice to see her again. It was his own fault that he hadn't spoken to his packmates; he'd been simply trying to deal with his sleeping sickness on his own, without wearing out his welcome in these still unfamiliar lands. Although he had run into that strange fellow with the lovely voice - what was his name again? Haku? That had been interesting, at least.

"So, Rosea, have you thought any about changing this pack's name? Maybe to something like 'monochrome'...? Or 'greyscale'?" He spoke softly, so as not to disturb the interview, but there was an undercurrent of mirth in his light voice. It was somewhat amusing that all their wolves were white, black, or in his case, both. Unless there were new members he hadn't met yet, which was most likely the case. "How have ya been, dovely?"
[/html]

[html]
I’d like to get this thread over with, sooo I am going to have Cercelee exit with Slay (if you don’t mind). I am kind of anal about joining threads. XD However Slay if you want more threads, Cer and Slay (and whoever else) can have a hunting thread (or something) in the packlands. Cer needs cheerful thread after all the stress she had been going through, and the both of them need to spend more time in the pack lands. I will leave this thread up, but Hanna if you can, try to finish it in one post.

Cercelee listened as Windseeker answered Hanna’s questions, quite respectfully and fully. Cercelee nodded her approval at Hanna, in case the sable female wondered what her Rosea thought of the female. Although she had given her permission on the basis that Windseeker did not share Sadira blood, she would be a fine addition to their pack. They needed more members, it seemed to Cercelee that the other packs out numbered them. And Windseeker’s guide would be interesting at least, although the young female believed he would prove to be beneficial to the pack as well. "Hanna, give her the Filix rank when you are done questioning her.." Cercelee turned her head, ready to leave when she realized that Slay had appeared.

Chuckling at his comment, she looked back to Windseeker and Hanna briefly. They would be fine on their own. "No, I have not considered a name change, I think Dahlia de Mai has a nice ring to it. You don’t think the other packs would tease us if we were called ‘greyscale’?" Cercelee nudged Slay playfully. "I’ve been busy, there’s more to being Rosea than I thought. And you’ve been well I hope? But we shouldn’t catch up here. Let’s not overwhelm Windseeker, our new member here." Cercelee stood, nodded once more to Hanna and Windseeker, and nudged Slay to follow her away from the joiner.

[/html]
[html]

OoC: Okay okay! ^-^ Sounds fine to me, I'll just drop a quickie here for Slay's dramatic exit. ;P Did you wanna wait for the whole-pack thread, or start a separate hunting one? I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for new topics. C:

BiC:

Slay smiled, amiably trotting at Cercelee's heels. Yeah, best not to overwhelm the newcomer - how well would a blind wolf react to him randomly falling asleep in front of her? He chuckled at the thought, and followed his friend into the trees. "I dunno, love, I think it might catch on... Our ranks could be like 'French Grey', 'Ivory White', 'Coal Black'..." He laughed, pale eyes sparkling. It was uplifting, to finally speak to someone again.
[/html]

Sorry I took so long to get to this. I just... hadn't had the combination of time and muse to work with.

[html]

Hanna took in her leader's nod of approval and her decision to place the newcomer at Filix. A smile flickered across her face at the playful banter between Cer and Slay, then she turned her attention back to WindSeeker. "Well, that's the official seal of approval, then. Welcome to Dahlia de Mai. May all your hunts be fruitful, and if you ever need help, don't be afraid to sing out. We don't bite... hard."

Hanna smiled at the female and then gestured into the pack lands as a formality then walked into the territory herself.

[/html]