Trade relations?
I've been thinking over how Akinyi got to Nova Scotia, and it makes more sense to me that she would have made a deal with those who ferried her across instead of them doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Could she have a trading relationship with them? She'd offer them things she's found here, and in return they'd give her supplies and whatnot. They would probably trade items that are harder or impossible to find on their respective continents.

If this idea is approved, I'd think they would stop by three times a year (every season minus winter due to weather conditions).
From what I know such trades would happen in Freetown, Maine seeing as that is the closest port. That is where those in these parts get things that normally wouldn't be found in Canada. It is also where those from overseas have come in at. So yeah, you can have your trade most likely. A past character of mine traded with those that brought ships into Freetown. He had a plant from where he used to live imported up to Maine so that he could take it and grow it in the greenhouse.

But yeah, just remember that ships take awhile to cross the water and there are only a few port towns where they sail from. If you haven't seen it before the travel guide is here. It will give you the time it takes to sail from which port and there is a map to show the ports as well as the routes that are taken.