Out of Sync
Jace had stayed up all night with the grey mare who had exhibited signs of being distress in the early evening so the patchwork hybrid had set up a kind of camp next to their field with a small fire and a blanket to keep warm. Despite horse' natural fear of fire both the mare and the stallion had stayed close to the fence nearest to her for most of the night, their eyes glittering in the flickering light, occasional snorts and hoof stamps letting her know that they were still there. The woman had food already prepared and ate it in silence while she kept an eye on the two.

It wasn't until the sun was beginning to creep up the horizon that she showed signs of true labor, pacing up and down one section of the fence, sometimes whinnying in pain. When she finally lay down to push, Jace clambered over the fence and sat down a short way away. The stallion bared his teeth at her, letting her know that where she was was close enough for him and Jace nodded peacefully, she was only here to assist if things went wrong and the mare looked to be in trouble.
[html]

| +274

Their bed remained empty that night. Jace was camped outside near the horses and Temo stayed inside. Once in a while he would wander to a window and look out to check on Jace and the horses. The night was long and dragged itself out while Temo sat on the sofa and dozed off into a light sleep every so often. If there was anyone there, they would see the worry in his eyes. The worry for Jace and the horses.

Temo awoke from a light slumber and made his way to the window for his last look for the night. He noticed that the sky was beginning to lighten up heralding the coming of the sun. Everything still seemed calm outside for the moment and he sits back down for a bit. When he looks out again to the scene that the sun is showing him, he sees that Jace had moved to inside the corral and the mare was nearby laying down.

It must be time, I hope everything goes ok, he thought to himself. He picked up a water skin and some food and quietly went outside. He circled around to the fire that Jace was by during the night and put the stuff down. Temo looked out across the pasture and could tell that the stallion was not happy at the moment, and he understood why with him in sight and Jace inside the fence. "Morning. How are you?" he greeted Jace with a quiet voice as he sat down by the fire and tossed another log onto it, ready in case Jace needed his assistance.

Image courtesy of randompointoflife@Flickr

<style type="text/css">
.TS-01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#0000A0; letter-spacing:1px; }
.TS-01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.TS-01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.TS-01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c1d4e5; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/VK3sr.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0000A0; padding: 10px 0px 290px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#357EC7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
<style></style>[/html]
3+

She was tired, after this she'd need a long sleep and would probably be useless for most of the day, her energy supplies were dwindling now and she hardly noticed Temo approaching from the house until he was almost upon her, she raised a lazy hand in his direction and then stood, hindered by her stomach somewhat, and made her way over to the fencing that he stood behind. Rubbing at her eyes she leaned against the corral and turned to keep her eye on the horses, the male probably wouldn't attack her but one could never be completely certein about theses things.

"Morning, not bad. She seems close to dropping the foal now. She spent the entire night pacing back and forth, restless. I can say that I did the same thing too." Here she laughed, "But it's only in the last thirty minutes or so that she's started laying down on the floor." She gestured out to the white male "Uncle there won't let me get too close to her at the minute, he doesn't think shes in the 'needing help' phase yet. I hope she stays out of it as well, a clean birth will be much better for her and the unborn." she sniffed.

Sparks rose from the fire as he put another log on it, the fire's assistance wouldn't be needed for much longer now. In fact it hadn't really been needed at all in terms of helping her see, it had been more of a comfort this that had driven her to awaken and sustain it for the duration of the night. Mismatched eyes turned to survey the sun ascent into the morning sky and judge how far it had come, from her guessing she figured it was about 7am in human terms of time.
[html]

i tried | +220

Temo stood up and came up to the fence next to Jace, "Good, glad to hear that it is about time. I think we all have been restless during the night." he replied, still in a quiet voice, being careful not to spook the horses to much. He could tell that the stallion was eying him and was not real happy with his presence. Temo knew the horses knew him as he had fed them and given them treats before, but he also knew that there were limits and he was trying not to push them to much.

He lifted a water skin up to Jace, "Thirsty?" he quietly asked her. He, along with Jace, watched the mare for a few minutes as she breathed heavy and continued with the labor. After a long and quiet pause, he quietly spoke up again, "I hope it comes out ok given the various problems that can arise with births."

More time passed in silence other than the birds around them making their daily noises and an occasional grunt from the mare. The stallion seemed less annoyed at the moment seeing that the two wolves were not making any moves towards the mare but was still keeping a close eye on them. "Is there anything you need?" he asked Jace.

<style type="text/css">
.TS-01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.TS-01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c1d4e5; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/VK3sr.jpg);

background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0000A0; padding: 10px 0px 290px

0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#357EC7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-

align:justify;}
<style></style>[/html]
3+

She nodded in agreement, she was looking forwards to laying down on her bed and feeling her muscles unwind and relax against the soft mattress, she and Temo were extremely lucky in finding the house that they did, most of it was intact and there was very little actual work to be done on it. Jace looked over as the mare struggled to her feet again, sides heaving with the exertion but there was no sign of the foal yet and all she did was move over to her brother's side to drink from the water trough and nibble on a bit of grass. The male kept ever aware often swinging his massive head around to stare at she and Temo, ritualistically baring his teeth at them just to make sure they knew they were still some kind of unwelcome just yet.

She took the water skin gratefully from him and took a long drink before handing it back. Her ears were half set against her head, not wanting to expend the energy to hold them upright, the same with her tail which hung limp from her spine, that and the wrinkles about her eyes showed the extent of her exhaustion. She bobbed her head absentmindedly at his words, with luck Jace would not have to intervene at all and they could all get back to life a little quicker. She shrugged at his question, not really needed anything at this exact moment, a slight feeling of nausea stirred in her stomach but it was weak and not enough for the female to loose the contents of her stomach,

"Not now, I think I just need to sleep, if she'd be so kind as to hurry up and fart out this foal." She laughed at her sudden unexpected joke and the stallion snorted, not appreciating her laughter.
[html]

at least it's only half crap. | +208

He chuckled at her joke before the silence lengthened as he stood by her as they watched the mare and the stallion watched them. There was not much to say as the wait continued while the sun slowly creeped higher in the sky. An occasional bird hopped around in the grass looking for something to eat while other birds warbled their song as they perched in a tree.

Temo put an arm around her shoulders and hugged her the best he could with the fence between them. "Everything will be ok, the mare is strong and will throw strong foals." He said trying to boost her spirits. His quiet chuckle followed when the stallion's ears perked towards them at hearing his voice. "See, even he agrees with me." He said with a nod in the stallion's direction.

He holds her for a few minutes more watching the horses with her, the sun ever slowly on it's relentless move to the zenith. "Come, you should eat a decent meal. You will feel better after and we can still keep an eye on her while we eat." he spoke up. "You will not do yourself nor her any good if you are not in top form." he finished.

<style type="text/css">
.TS-01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c1d4e5; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/VK3sr.jpg);

background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0000A0; padding: 10px 0px 290px

0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#357EC7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-

<style></style>[/html]
Quiet enveloped them and stretched onward, not much needed to be said for they knew each other too well by this point. She leaned to his side although the fence restricted fluid movement and laughed again as Temo spoke,

"They really need names, we can't keep calling them 'him and her'" They watched for a bit longer and then Temo mentioned something about getting a bite to eat, Jace's pre made food had run out about an hour ago or so and she was feeling slightly hungry even through the nausea. Just as she was about to agree the mare once again lowered herself to the floor and this time began to breave very heavily and strain her sides.

She took a few steps clsoer but that was all she would be allowed, a flash of teeth told her this and she stayed where she was as the amniotic bag came into view and then burst, wetting the ground with fluid. The rest of the birth was very swift, one second all she could see were tiny hooves and the next there was a new foal sitting on the wet grass making gagging noises, for a moment it didn't move after gagging and lay still and
Jace feared the worst but then it cried and the grey mare reached around to tend to her baby. Then the foal, just a few seconds old began to try to stand and falling comically on legs too weak yet.
[html]

maybe you don't want me choosing names for our pups :p | +211

"Yes, they need names," he nodded his agreement and thought for a few moments. With a sparkle in his eye and a grin on his muzzle, "We could call them Guess, Who and Why. Just think of the fun we can have confusing people when they ask their names." he said jokingly trying to bring a smile to her muzzle.

It was then that the miracle of birth happened and their little family of horses grew from two to three. Temo stood with Jace while they watched the mare clean the amniotic fluid off of the foal while the foal worked at getting it's legs under itself. It was a beautiful and humorous sight watching the foal wobble on it's long spindly legs and attempt at taking it's first steps.

"Strong like his mommy and daddy." He said to Jace quietly as they watched the foal take a few shaky steps. When the foal finally made it's way down the side of the mare and nosed up under her and started suckling, Temo continued in a quiet voice so as not to disturb the moment to much. "I think the foal has the right idea, lets go inside and have a proper meal. I'm sure everything will be fine now."

<style type="text/css">

<style></style>[/html]
3+

She snorted and elbowed him lightly, he was always saying wise arsed shit like that but still a grin flitted over her face. She marveled at the foal's ability to walk, see, hear and smell just minutes after its own birth, it took wolf pups a few weeks to master those skills and even longer to become fully independent of their parents and venture out to explore the world they were born into. She remembered something she had read a few years ago that it took something along the lines of eighteen years for human children to develop to adulthood, which was longer than luperci lived in total! The thought was absurd, she knew that humans had managed to build great things and the remnants were all around them to view surely such an ingenious race would have managed to figure some way to make their young become adults faster.

She turned to Temo as he suggested they retire inside for something to eat and nodded, she was confident the mare and stallion could look after the foal from any dangers and she and Temo were not far away, the pasture was visible from the kitchen.

"Yes you're right. Besides they have weight and sharp hooves on their sides. I doubt anythign will mess with them tonight."

She climbed back over the fence carefully with Temo's help and the two set off back towards the house. Her mind wandered over what sort of food she could make and found that she had a particular craving for some kind of cooked stew mixed with raw meat and she blanched at the wierd combination. The walked back to the house in silence and finally reached the doors that she understood the humans had called 'french doors' and walked into the kitchen, she turned to Temo,

"Well what shall we have then."
[html]

| +217

Jace climbed up and over the fence with some assistance from Temo and as they walked to the house with his arm around her shoulders to provide some comfort, "Yeah, nothing will bother them," as he glanced over to the horses and it seemed like the stallion was breathing a sigh of relief to see them leaving. He had a feeling that stallion would do everything to protect the mare and foal. The mare was oblivious of them as she tended to the foal which was still nursing.

He opened the french door for her to enter and after they entered the kitchen he closed them shutting out the daytime chirps and whistles of the birds. He looked around at the cupboards and pondered her question for a few moments, "I do not know and I am not hungry for anything in particular. Just hungry. Let us see what we have." he replied to her query.

They went and searched through the cupboards and drawers and cabinets. "Not much here," he said after their search. "Any ideas for a meal out of this?" he asks Jace. After a moments thought, "I could go pull up some onions and potatoes to add to this meager selection," he said looking over what little they did find.

<style type="text/css">

<style></style>[/html]
3+

She nodded at his words and together the two of them searched the cupboards for anything that they could turn into a satisfactory meal for two who had spent almost all of the night and morning awake. Tiredness pulled at her eyes and exhaustion at her body but she needed to eat something before she slept otherwise she would feel worse when she woke up. The paltry selection of meat they found would barely be enough for a snack for one of them never mind a full meal for both, she hmm'ed absent mindedly her mind running over what they had found,

"I think maybe we'll have to make do with some kind of stew so yes, go and pull up some vegetables for me please, if you would. I need to find..." She tailed off here, mumbling to herself as she began to go back through the cupboards searching for her cooking skin. She had had to make a new one upon arriving in Ichika, her first had been left in Denahlii and she had not needed to make one whilst in Phoenix Valley. Temo disappeared out of the french doors and around to the side where the overgrown herb and vegetable patch resided.

Whilst he was busy pulling up more things for them to add to thier strew, Jace set up a small fire in the heath and constructed a quick tripod for the cooking skin to hang from above the flames. Then she picked up the cooking skin and moved outside herself, walking for about five minutes until she came to the stream the trickled downhill and away from their house. She filled up the skin and collected several stones that were the right size and shape and returned to the house. Once back she placed the stoned in the centre of the fire where it was hottest and placed the skin of water on the trippod away from the fire. She wouldnt need to put it over until everything was sorted. Then she returned to the stream with a bucket and filled it to the brim with clean water to wash the vegetables in when Temo was done.
[html]

yay, food. lol | +232

Out the french doors Temo made his way from the house and around to the garden. It had gotten overgrown during the intervening years but some of the vegetables and herbs had gone wild and managed to survive. He looked around and selected several onions and pulled them out of the ground. Moving over he dug up several potatoes and brushed as much dirt off of them that he could.

As he was bent over brushing off the dirt from the potatoes, he saw a movement ahead of him. Looking up, he spied a grouse in the weeds and with a well aimed rock, he knocked it senseless long enough for him to pounce on it and with a crack of bone, twisted it's neck. He thought to himself that some fresh meat would be an excellent addition to the stew.

With the feathered addition for the stew, Temo returns to the vegetables that he had left lying on the ground and he picked some of the herbs as he waded through them. After gathering up the onions and potatoes that he had unburied, he returned to the house and was glad he had left the door open as his hands and arms were full. Without cerimony, he dumped the armload onto the counter and held up the grouse, "got us some fresh meat to add to the stew," he said to Jace.

<style type="text/css">
.TS-01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c1d4e5; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/VK3sr.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0000A0; padding: 10px 0px 290px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#357EC7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
<style></style>[/html]
3+

By the time Temo returned she was slicing up the already cooked meat into strips and arranging them neatly, a large flat rock had been placed into the fire to heat them up and fry them on with. She heard him come in and an ear flicked towards him but continued with her task until it was finished. She then realised what he had said about the grouse and turned to inspect it, taking it from him and looking it over, her response was distracted but positive, she dumped the bird back on the counter and picked up the potatoes and other things, plunging them into the bucket half filled with cold water,

"Good good, do you mind plucking it while I wash and peel these vegetables? Thanks." She didn't wait for an answer and began to scrub the vegetables of both the dirt covering them and their skin. When they were scrubbed raw she pulled them out of the water and sliced them up into bite sized chunks and mixed them all together before scooping them into a second half filled bucket of clean water, that had been poured from the first when she had collected it. She swirled her hands around in it to wash off any residue and left them to soak. Mumbling to herself like a crazy she made her way over to the fire glowing in the corner of the hearth.

She added some more twigs to the fire and poked the rocks closer to the center of the heat, they needed to be glowing before she could add them to the water in the cooking skin. The skin was that of a bear's, reinforced on the inside by extra layers of skin and leather, it would ensure the rocks would not burn through and spill the stew everywhere, the inside layers could be replaced as they wore out.
[html]

| +245

Temo glanced at Jace and wondered what was wrong with her. Since he had returned from the overgrown garden and gotten back into the house, she seemed a little bit distant or maybe it was she was distracted. His thoughts went through the things that happened so far that day for a few moments until he realized that she was most likely distracted because she was busy and concentrating on cooking the stew.

"Sure, I can take care of that," he said to her when she requested of him that he pluck the grouse. He picks up the grouse and takes it to the sink and proceeded to remove the feathers. After a few minutes of the sound of feathers ripping from the carcass, he had a bald bird in his hand and a pile of feathers on the counter. Snagging a couple of trays from the cupboard, Temo sliced open the bird and carefully removed the entrails placing the organs in one pan and the digestive track into the other.

Temo looks around to see Jace busy with the vegetables. She seemed distracted again and a sly grin formed on his muzzle as an idea formed in his head and he decided to have a little fun. He takes one of the longer wing feathers and lightly rubbed the tip of it on the edge of Jace's ear and then he proceeded to stick it into her ear and wiggled it.

<style type="text/css">
.Lovi-sdb b {font-weight:bold; color:#1155aa; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Lovi-sdb .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.Lovi-sdb p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Lovi-sdb {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c6d5e5; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/iInBB.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #666666; padding: 10px 0px 295px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#556688; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
She called him a child XD
3+
Her ear twitched several times as he flicked it about the sensitive audit but she tried to ignore with with a smile creeping onto her face until he shoved the entire damn thing inside of her ear. She squealed and snapped at the feather with her jaws and gave him a gentle slap of her hand around his head before leaping away from him as much as she could given her pregnant state. She mock glared at him hissing in her native language at him, many threats and promises to shave him bald while he slept passed her lips along with insulting remarks about the way his mother had raised him and how he should treat a pregnant lady. She ended her small mock hissy fit with a short growl.

She snatched the tray containing the grouse carcass and began to cut the entire carcass up into smaller pieces, skin, bones, everything. By the time it was all cooked the bones would be soft enough for them to crack open and get at the marrow inside, it would do her little ones good. She mock glared at him again but it was ruined by the smile that twitched onto her face,

"Bowls out, you nashia. Bring me the cooking tongs as well please." The tray of cut up grouse parts was set down near the fire along with the strips of meet and the bucket full of water with the vegetables. The rocks still weren't hot enough, they needed to be glowing cherry red like coals before they culd be used. The pregnant woman settled herself down onto the sofa to wait and motioned for Temo to join her, she yawned loudly as the heat began to settle into her and make her even more sleepy than she already was, she doubted she would be able to stay awake for much longer but luckily it didn't take long for the rocks to finally heat up to the desired temperature. She picked up the tongs and moved the tripod of water closer and began to grip hold of the hot rocks and palce them into the cooking skin of water, steam blasting up from the water's surface. It only took a couple of stones to bring the water to a rolling boil.
[html]

wow | +408

Temo was having trouble keeping his mirth contained within himself as he tickled her ear along the edges. His lips were contorted in a smile as he fought to not bust out giggling. Every time her ear twitched, he would almost bust out laughing, but he managed to keep it in.

When he stuck the feather into her ear and wiggled it around, he knew she would react, but Temo did not expect her to react so violently. He snatched his hand back and let go of the feather when Jace turned her head and with a squeal, snapped at it. When she smacked him, his ears drooped a bit and then they drooped further with her tirade. Although he did not understand a word she said as she was speaking in her native tongue, he did understand the tone that she was using in her voice.

Quietly, he went back to the sink and cleaned up the area. He wiped the blood off of the counter and basin with a rag and put the feathers in a pan for taking outside to dispose of. It was a few minutes and with her attempts at glaring at him, he could read in her body language and her not trying to smile, that she was not actually mad at him. His ears slowly returned from being drooped as his humor returned to his eyes.

Having finished cleaning up the area of blood and other remnants of the bird from the counter and sink, he rummaged through the cupboard for the bowls and the drawers for the cooking tongs. With the bowls and tongs in hand, he went over to the fire and set them down, ready for when they would be needed. Temo placed several pieces of wood onto the fire and poked them down into the hot coals to build the flames back up and then sat down next to Jace on the sofa to bask in the heat put off by the fire.

"Yes, we should go to bed after we eat," he replied to her yawn with the tiredness of being up all night and all day laced through his quiet voice. He sat quietly on the sofa as he watched her manipulate the tongs in handling the hot stones into the water to make it boil. He watched the steam rise from the surface of the water and billow about her head making swirly patterns through the air.

<style type="text/css">
<style></style>[/html]
3+

Now that the water was boiling Jace added all the ingredients they had collected, including the vegetables, the innards of the grouse and the carcass as well. It would need to boil for a while but hopefully it should not take too long, if it did she may fall asleep before she had time to eat anything. She shook her head, floppy ears waving about to clear it slightly. Temo played with the fire, adding more wood for it to burn and poking it with a stick. Jace had built the fire pit from scratch on the floor of the living room kitchen combo, raised up from the wooden floor on blocks of brick and concrete so that it wouldn't set it on fire and burn their house down. Underneath those a large flame proof tarpaulin that Temo had found was stretched, stopping any ashes or stray cinders from slipping down. The fire itself was built on top of the blocks and was slightly raised up creating a rustic looking center piece.

She nodded affirmatively at his words and settled back onto the sofa next to him. The marrow within the bones of the grouse's carcass would melt into the water and create a nicely seasoned soupy stock for them to enjoy along with the meat and other ingredients. If they wanted they could eat the bones if not they could just leave them out for other animals to gnaw and chew on at their leisure. Unlike humans the wolves were not afraid of strange animals wandering about their gardens, together they made a formidable pair that could scare off most creatures if they needed to. But more in tune with nature they could sense when an animal was looking for a few scraps to eat or was honestly intent on causing trouble, a skill that humans had lost on their trip to technology and domination of the world.
[html]

| +218

His eyes followed Jace as she moved about and added the meat and vegetables to the water to cook. The steam rising up above her head and the fire crackling in the fireplace. His eye lids were feeling heavy as sleep was letting him know that it was on it's way. A big yawn found it's way to his muzzle as he stretched, some of the vertebra in his back popping and cracking.

Temo took in a deep breath taking in the aroma of the cooking food and slowly let the air out of his lungs in a quiet sigh. He felt plenty tired and was afraid to close his eyes, even for a moment, because they may not open again for many hours. His stomach growled a protest at the lack of food in it but he ignored it as he knew there would be some food on the way soon.

With the patience that comes with tiredness, he waited for her to finish her tasks at putting the ingredients into the boiling water. After Jace settled down next to him on the sofa, he put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her on the muzzle. He quietly said "I love you" as he snuggled up to her while they waited for the food to finish cooking.

<style type="text/css">
<style></style>[/html]
She heard his stomach growl and laughed softly. Men; always hungry. The woman stirred the soup one last time and then left it to simmer at the edge of the fire. She watched Temo attempt to resist the urge to fall asleep. his head drooping forwards every so often only to jerk back up to wakefulness. She sat down next to him and he pulled her close, a hand resting on her enlarged stomach. The wolfdog smiled at his words and leaned forwards to place a kiss on his cheek, her feet twitched a bit as the weight bared down upon her spine,

"I love you too. Go to sleep if you want, I'll wake you up when it's done." As tired as she was the woman didn't feel as though she could sleep just yet. Hunger kept her awake and an odd desire to see the sun rise fully. She leaned against him, her gaze captured by the small flickering orange and yellow fire. Another loud yawn racked her small body and the pups squirmed about inside of her sluggishly, testing thier limbs and muscles. Not long to go now at all, for this she was glad. They didn't belong inside of her but rather in the real world where she could hold them in her arms.