May it be an evening star
[html]

Ember closed her eyes, trying to concentrate on the change. She was determined to shift, to finally make it all the way to her taller form. The farthest she had gotten so far was halfway there...a strange, distorted form that wasn't quite right. She could tell that she wasn't all the way there, because when she looked at her reflection in the water she didn't look anything like what her mother and Naniko looked like when they were shifted.

Maybe she was just smaller, though. Naniko was a good head taller than her when she wasn't shifted, so maybe she would be taller than her when she was shifted. Ember was sitting near the borderline, trying to get into her other form. She wanted to go and visit Twilight Vale, to make sure that her nephews were doing well, but she wanted to accomplish this first.

[/html]
[html]
ooc

I guess I'll bleed in silence

Lubomir had been elusive He'd not kept his word to Ember. Truly, he should have tried to see her sooner. While he had sought solace in the thought of her in the long days after the fights, he found himself turning away from the road to Labyrinth Glen, trailing the mountains and seeking some comfort in that, the loneliness and the endless sunsets. But Lubomir had to admit. No matter how all his recent encounters had ended, he would always go back to her, try and find her scent among the discarded leaves of the play only to realise that the recent storms had washed all that away. Slowly, painfully, Lubomir came back to himself. He left Shadowed Sun and walked towards the Glen, towards his lady Phoenix.

There seemed to be a break in the storm, not that he would have minded the noise. It would certainly drown out the yelling in his head. It seemed too much and a part of him longed for the quiet placid days of the Old Country, for the long lazy afternoons when nothing would happen and the pack would lie around sated after a good hunt, the puppies idly chasing butterflies. Here, the pace of life was more alert. There seemed to be war brewing and he hated the thought of being involved in any conflict. He had had enough adventures. He turned a corner and saw her. She seemed to be concentrating on something and he found himself staring at her, her innocent gaze and youthful bearing. It pained him to know he had disappointed her. Slowly, he trotted closer and let out a whine. 'Am I still welcome, lady Phoenix?'

[/html]
[html]

She hadn't seen him in a while...but he looked exactly the same to her. The sky was dark overhead, clouds covering the sun. It had rained earlier, and drops of it still hung on the grass blades around her, making her paws wet as she walked toward him. She didn't know what to say or do...should she let him in? "You...my aunt said that you were in Twilight Vale." Hopefully that was enough, and she wouldn't have to elaborate. Yes, she knew what had happened.

"My nephews are very important to me, you know." She said quietly. "I only heard her side...but it didn't sound very good. I don't want someone around who tries to harm my family members."

[/html]
[html]
ooc

So she'd heard. He turned and looked away. He'd never thought that his actions could hurt her. Not this way. She was, to him, like a princess in an ivory tower, sheltered against the evils of the world. He'd thought that what had happened in Twilight Vale had stayed there. Did he have a reputation going? Did the Inferni scum pass on the word? Was the black non-shifter telling all he met about the Shadowed Sun bully? Was Deuce sharing stories of the one who'd hurt the puppies? He winced at the thought. Ember would desert him now and he would have nothing left. That nearly sent him reeling, running back to Shadowed Sun. But he couldn't be that kind of coward. He'd have to be a man, so to speak, and admit to it. 'I meant no harm. Ember, you know I would never harm anyone.'

Pain. This was worse than what Gabriel had done. This was stabbing him, even though her words were true, even though what he'd done was wrong. 'I'll go. I hurt you. What more can I say to you? Your aunt's version is the truth, though there was no malicious intent there. I'm sorry.' Throughout the whole thing, Lubomir had never once looked at her. It would be too much.

[/html]
[html]

Maybe she should have listened to his point of view before saying that she didn't want him around. She bit her lip, looking to the side for a moment. "I just...I've been under a lot of stress, and when I heard what had happened...everyone was really upset. You should be more careful and respectful when you're in someone elses' lands. Even if you didn't mean to." The level headed wolf nodded in agreement to his words. "I know you wouldn't." He was the most gentle wolf she'd ever met, besides her healer sister Naniko.

"Aunt Deuce, though, she couldn't see it from your way maybe." She turned toward the packlands, still in her halfling form, looking toward her mother's cabin and her den. Ember started forward, looking back over her shoulder. "Well...come on in. We can talk along the way"

[/html]
[html]
ooc

He quickly stole a glance at her. Was she going to let him in, let him reveal his feelings for her? Her assumption about his carelessness and lack of respect in foreign lands struck him as unfair and he decided to point it out to her. 'I did not come into those lands with any intention of hurting anyone. It was an accident. And your aunt would do well not to be such an ice queen.' His words came out more bitter and biting than he'd expected. Truly, what had he wanted out of her? Sympathy? These were family matters and in his mind, a cause for concern. He'd always placed family above all else and perhaps she would do the same. She could have him thrown out of here in a instant and she might refuse to see him ever again.

To his surprise she didn't. Instead she turned to take him into the packlands. He felt his anger seep away and he sheepishly trotted behind her before deciding to try and catch up. She was a bit quicker than him, in this halfling form, so he came right by her side and walked beside her. 'How have you been, my lady Phoenix? I know I abandoned you but you were always in my thoughts.' And in my heart, his mind added.

[/html]
[html]

Her aunt's sanity had been questionable lately, and Ember wondered if all was not as it seemed. She didn't want to take sides against her family and one of her friends, but if she did she would always take the side of her family...those who had always stood by her. So far, he had not proven himself as much as any one of them had to her. Especially Deuce, who had taken in her newphews as her own sons. The latest news was that Deuce was being separated from the boys, though, and that she wasn't allowed to see them.

She supposed that she couldn't really be angry with Lubomir any more. It'd already happened, and each of them had said their piece about it. Just so he knew what she thought, and how she felt about it. Secretly, she almost enjoyed arguing with him. It was more stimulating a conversation than she'd had in a while.

"I've been pretty busy. Mostly trying to shift. It still hurts, but it's not as bad as before. I haven't really gotten all the way there, though...so I'm stuck like this for now. Besides a nice visit to my sister's pack, what have you been up to?"

[/html]
[html]
ooc

Lubomir still felt chastised. He walked with his tail between his legs, his head pointing towards the ground. He had no clue about the recent strife in Ember's family, about the rift between what Lucifer wanted and what Deuce wanted. He'd never been one to question the way other families worked, not when his had not been the epitome of serenity. He had to admit that yes, it was peculiar how quickly news travelled, but overall he could not comment. Had he known more, he might have thought better than be so cruel. But it had been a long week, especially with the intruder in Shadowed Sun. He still bore the stinging wounds of that and Deuce. This place was certainly worse in terms of violence and hidden conflict.

He thought about telling her about SteelRose and how Skoll had fought. Ember would not be surprised, of course, she already knew about the yellow warrior, but perhaps she might see him about some sort of hero, some kind of potential warrior. He knew it was foolish to think so, he could have been killed had it not been for Skoll and his presence of mind, but his heart yearned for some spark of joy to overshadow the pain and grief his fight with Deuce might have caused him.

Shifting? He blinked. Lubomir never would have expected that Ember would have any problems with it. He could remember his own shifting process, which Frigg had mastered quickly. But he had taken longer. His sister had encouraged him, holding him after the pain and soothing his tears. It was a side of Frigg that in time died slowly under the weight of being Alpha female for her pack. 'Shifting, huh? I... I haven't been up to much. Skoll and I were faced with an intruder on our lands earlier this week. A female. Coyote. Unlike anything I have ever seen before. She was a worthy adversary, but Skoll was the better fighter.' No point trying to be some hero he was not. 'But coming back to shifting, Ember, would you like me to help you? I... my sister helped me. I could teach you how you reach full shifter form.' The tip of his tail wagged a bit at the prospect of being useful to her.

[/html]
[html]

There were many things that Ember wanted to accomplish, besides shifting. She knew that her sister Firefly would be coming back sometime...and she wanted to have one up on her in something, at least. Her mother had said that she would be the better hunter over her sister, but she wasn't so sure. Firefly was off on her own...surely Davinci or somebody had shown her how to do it. She was worried that she might not be as experienced as her sister. Hopefully Firefly didn't try to join Twilight Vale...she didn't want to see her.

Ember frowned when she thought about it, continuing the conversation with Lubomir a moment later. "That makes sense. I heard something about coyotes messing with one of the other packs...yours might have been it. My cousin lives in Dahlia de Mai...I wonder if they're okay." The worried look melted from her face at his next words, and she looked at him, encouraged. "If I can shift, I can help them fight. Stupid coyotes." It was an acceptance, definitely. "We're almost to my den. Not too far from my mother's cabin...but not so close that she can keep tabs on everything I do." Or anyone.

[/html]
[html]
ooc

My mistake. Edited. Sorry ^^;;

Lubomir thought back to the fight. How strange it all seemed now, in the light of a new day. It felt surreal. He could have been killed. He could have ended up in one of the swords of SteelRose, impaled right through his stomach. He was no fighter, not by a long shot. He was a raconteur, a keeper of knowledge, not someone who could bring down any adversary. The proof to that was that Skoll had indeed defeated the female. Not Lubomir. But if he could teach Ember something worthwhile, that alone would make him very happy.

Dahlia de Mai? He turned to look at her sharply. Was Ember Mew's cousin? So then she knew about the miscarriage, about Inferni, about everything that had passed. 'She was not from Inferni. She and Skoll seemed to have some unfinished business.' Shift to fight? No... he couldn't teach her so she would jeopardize her life like that. 'Ember, no!' He stopped dead. 'If I teach you to shift, I don't want you to go and put yourself in danger. Dahlia de Mai have friends in other packs, no one will let the coyotes win the war, but please promise me you won't go put yourself in danger. Please, Ember.' He had to smile at her next words, though. 'But that's what mothers do. They try to care for you. However, all we're doing is shifting, so that shouldn't be a problem, should it?'

[/html]
[html]
Big Grin woo, character angst!

She was so mad about Firefly and Magdalena. Half of her family had up and left a few months ago, without any warning...and she was supposed to be happy to see them again? Feel grateful, maybe? Or wonder how they're doing? If they cared about how she was doing, they'd be back here. Or they would send some kind of a message. She could have died in the fire and they never even would have known!

Her tail was still, not flicking back and forth as it usually did. The dark female was brooding, but she couldn't help it. She'd never had a really stable life, anyone who stuck around for a long period of time...she didn't have any model of behavior to follow. And sometimes her emotions got so confusing. She was really glad that she had such a great friend like Lubomir to talk to..he could relate to her, in ways. And he was so funny.

"If you don't teach me, I'll just learn it from someone else." She shot back. "I'm going to be able to defend myself, my pack, and my family." Her father had taught her a few things, and being independent was top on the list. She would do what she wanted; she wasn't a year old, but she'd been on her own for a really long time. She could make her own choices. "Yeah. She'll probably be watching. She worries sometimes." She said, looking up ahead. They were nearing the den, a big burrow dug into the base of a rotting tree. To get in, you had to actually go inside the tree's trunk and down underneath, where it'd been dug out.

[/html]
[html]
ooc

Lubo, a daddy figure lol

Why was she so on edge? It made Lubomir angry himself. She was being stubborn and childish, that's what it was. What did she know of battles? Of Mew and Haku and Asphyxia? Of Lubomir himself. She knew nothing, absolutely nothing. What did she think she could do, go running into Inferni? She'd be killed on sight. He could feel his rage boiling. The silly little female was going to go shift and then break Lubomir's... The thought made him freeze on the spot. Break his heart. That was what it was all about. He was being selfish. His love for love, nurtured on poetry and dreams of summer days, a secret haven when the world became too much and she was going to throw it all away for the chance to play at heroism. Lubomir would not allow it.

'Because that's such a smart idea. How would your family feel if you died? How would your mother feel to see your butchered body on the borders of Inferni? How would that make your pack feel? No, Ember, if I teach you, you must promise me not to get involved in this unless your packs asks it. If your leader comes and says they need your help, go. But not like this, Ember. You're not invincible.' Neither am I. And I don't want to lose you. Lubomir was staring fiercely at her, his eyes betraying the pain inside. She would hurt him. For her chance to play hero. 'This isn't a game. You make your choice. Your word or I trek back to Shadowed Sun.'

[/html]
[html]

She knew the easiest way out of his, just to agree, but her pride wouldn't allow it. If they came to her packlands and killed, then she would take action no matter what the costs were. Her life was her own, and it was her decision to make...not anyone elses'. If it came down to it being her pack, or her little brothers or nephews, then she would defend them as best as she could. Shifting would help.

Ember had never mentioned running off to Inferni to start fights...that wasn't what she was about. She already knew some self defense, but she wanted to shift and be able to learn more. There was only so much you could do in a four-legged form. In a two-legged one, you could hold weapons. Maybe she could go back to the city and look for a weapons shop...and hand them out to the wolves of her pack.

"YOU don't know a thing about my family, or how my mother would feel!" She stopped walking, hackles raising. "I'm not stupid. Don't even try to threaten me with going back to Shadowed Sun. Like I said, I'll just find somebody else if you don't want to teach me. But don't you think it's better that it's you and not somebody else? I don't fight with people unless they start stuff FIRST. As you're learning. You're not my father, so stop treating me like I'm your child." She barely even knew him.

[/html]
[html]
ooc

Was this love? Lubomir couldn't tell. He knew that he wanted to care for her and he feared for her life. He believed, with all his heart, that her life would not be spared. That Inferni would tear her to shreds and he would never tell her how much he loved her. Lubomir, who'd never loved before, confused deep friendship, trust and protection with love. He was worried for her, wasn't that a sign of love?

He didn't expect her to lash out at him. But if she could shout, so could he. He found himself staring down the taller female, in halfling form and growling at her. 'I lost my whole family to a pack of crazed wolves who attacked us for no reason. I lost my sister, my only sister, because I ran. I loved her. And I saw her die defending her mate.' His voice was hoarse with unshed tears, but he trudged on, 'So you're going to go fight and make me lose someone else I care about for some silly childish fancy! Ember Phoenix, I'm not your father, but so help me if I were I'd lock you in your den. Are you that cruel, that you'd hurt me?' It was low, very low. So he looked away and shuffled awkwardly on the spot. 'But I'll teach you. Because you're my friend.' Lubomir felt cheap now, for doing this to her.

[/html]
[html]

She didn't understand why someone would be so worried about her. Ember didn't really like being taken care of...her father had been a little overbearing when she had been a pup, so now that she had some freedom she really liked it. "Stop. Just...stop it. I'm not going off to fight anyone any time soon. I'm only going to fight if they come to me and threaten me. And even then it'd take a bit. I can't believe you think I'd be that dumb, to go looking for trouble. I won't."

It stung that he thought that she would just run off and risk her life like that. But maybe she just wasn't seeing it from his point of view. Ember wasn't fully mature, especially not emotionally...and she didn't pick up on what others were feeling very quickly. In fact, she could rarely figure out what others were thinking when they said things to her. "I'm glad you're okay...that you didn't get hurt. But I promise I won't go rushing into trouble...okay?" She went into the trunk of the tree, paws taking her through the short tunnel that led to the den. It was a big enough place for three or four wolves to move around comfortably...Ember really liked it. "Good. Then let's begin."

[/html]
[html]
MAJOR PHAILS

'You're not dumb. You're naive. I only want to make all this clear to you: I can try and teach you to shift, but it hurts that you could possibly consider fighting. A war is something dangerous, Ember.' He was being so damn pedantic now, treating her as if she were retarded or stubborn. She'd said enough times that she would not to stupid things, so did he have to hammer the point like this? He shook his head at himself and followed her down in the den.

The place smelled entirely of her. That was his first reaction. Everything here was Ember, every nook and cranny held her scent, and he felt so scared all of a sudden. Not because she was so close to him, but because he was about to play an important role in her life. Shifting was something big, it was a good thing he could keep his cool. Or so he thought. But having her here now was more than he had ever dreamt of. Slowly, he focused on reaching his own halfling shape and his bones creaked with the effort. He was weak, too weak for this and about three minutes later he stood there with her, swooning slightly. 'Forgive me. My wounds are still healing.' Lubomir gave her a small smile. There, he was okay now, right? 'You say it hurts. Now, I want you to take my hand and concentrate. You know what a fully shifted wolf looks like, right? I want you to keep that image in mind and focus on it, try to visualise your arms lengthening. You will grow powerful and agile, you will be tall and strong, Ember.' His voice was all a monotone, a strategy his sister had employed to get him to shift, by calming him down. 'Now try to do it, my Lady.' Lubomir wasn't sure she could do it. But he would learn where it hurt.

[/html]