Whispers in the Dark
[html]

Hi Rathy Rath. This is just outside Anathema, south of Inferni, in the Dampwoods.

It was a cool clear night, the stars above and the crescent moon the only givers of light as the sun had long since left the sky. The summer crickets had gone, giving the area outside Anathema borders a calm silence. There was a slight breeze and the moonlit grasses swayed softly. But some distance away from the pack lands a small light could be seen, a soft golden glow in the dark. This warm light was emanating from a cave, the smell of burning saffron wafted from its entrance, and every so often a small dark bat could be seen entering or exiting. Just inside the mouth of the cave a figure could be seen shrouded in a cloak and sitting close the fire. It was the figure of Zera’im and this night she was honing the blade of her scythe, the metallic ring of the stone against metal was eerie in the world outside the light.

She hummed as she honed, her strong yet aging paws moving with precision. She did not sharpen this blade for battle or hunt, but instead out of habit. She paused for a moment, rubbing her aching paws and looked outside to her stallion Korosk, who stood, falling slowly asleep, his ebon form glinting orange in the cast light from the fire. Zera’im sighed and leaned back against the cool stone of the cave wall. It had been several days since she had had the pleasure of another Luperci’s company, ever since meeting the naïve jackal girl of Anathema. Her loneliness was not unusual however, but now being surrounded by wolves made her want to meet more. But she daren’t tread across the boarders, she already ran the risk of getting caught being so close to them.

Zera’im’s mismatched eyes wandered into the sky and mouthed a silent prayer to the Great Spirit. She felt like communing with Him tonight rather than a lesser spirit, something she did often when she was lonely. He was the only one who had the ability to hold a relationship with her, the rest only masks drawing from his power. She could feel the spirits of the once living moving around this night, floating past the cave like whispers on the breeze. They felt like friends instead of enemies now that she was speaking with her God.

WC:390

<style>
.natsdb1-a01 .ft-ooc {font-style:italic;}
.natsdb1-a01 p {padding:3px 20px 3px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.natsdb1-a01 b {color:#777788; letter-spacing:-.2px;text-shadow:#223333 0px 0px 5px;}
.natsdb1-a01 {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/9WsMT.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 250px 0px; border:1px solid #666666; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7788aa; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:420px; text-align:justify; }
.natsdb1-a01-border {width:422px; border:1px solid #dddddd; margin:0px auto; }
.natsdb1-a01 .ft-separator{width:250px; border-bottom:1px dotted #223333; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!

Rurik shivered a bit in the cool night air and pulled his still torn cloak tighter as he walked. He needed a place to sleep for the night, preferably a tree hollow or a cave, or something other than the cold hard ground. "Why did I have to keep going north..." He said to himself, the chill night air finding the large hole in the back of his cloak for the umpteenth time, making him shiver and growl to himself. A few days before he had ventured to the borders of Inferni to try and find a trader, or anyone else that could assist him in mending his cloak. He had not been successful, to his disappointment. So now, he wandered further north toward Anathema for the same reason.

Just as another passing breeze decided to torment him, his stomach grumbled at him, reminding him that he hadn't eaten at all the past few days. He scowled down at his stomach and growled back. Shut up you... He mumbled and looked back up. Up ahead and slightly to his right he saw a flickering light; a fire light.The grip on his black staff/walking stick tightened and he checked his katana and dagger by second nature. Where there was fire there were normally other wolves, and where there were wolves there was generally food, assuming this wasn't a wild fire of course.

As he continued on he realized that the fire was coming from a cave; there went his wild fire idea. He made sure to keep back far enough to not be seen, lest he get caught by someone with ill intent. He made mental notes on what he saw. "Horse, fire in a cave, I think I see someone in there..." He edged closer, silent across the cold ground. He was now close enough to hear the sounds of stone on metal, like someone sharpening something. He glanced around his tree to get a better look. From where he was he couldn't see the person very well, but they seemed to be older, and they definitely had some kind of weapon, but he had never seen anything like it before. He glanced in front of him, and then at the ground. There was a tree he wanted to get to, but he was close enough to the cave that the fire light would reveal him if he were too slow. "I guess it's a good thing I'm quick then..." He said to himself with a grin. With a quick jump he went straight...down? He hit the ground with a clearly audible thud and a groan. He glanced back to see what had stopped him, and saw his foot resting on the large root of a tree. He huffed and rest his head on the ground, not wanting to move much. "Maybe they didn't see me..." He mused to himself, but they would have to be deaf, blind, and senile to not see the large lump laying on the ground between two trees.

<style>
.rurikk .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:7px; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk p {padding:10px; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent: 10px; font-size:12px;}
.rurikk b {color:#3399FF; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurikk i {color:#6D6D6D; font-size:13px;}
.rurikk {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... e/moon.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width: 400px; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC

She was still deep in prayer when a wind spirit whispered the presence of another to her. She opened just her evil eye to look into the darkness, the firelight reflecting off it eerily into the night. There, his aura like a ruddy pink fire, a dark figure approached. She watched him for a moment, giving no sign she was aware of him save the singular, watchful eye, which studied him closely to see what danger he might pose to her and her equine companion.

He was sneaking up on her, that was for sure, though she wasn’t sure whether his intentions were malicious or curiosity based. But her questions were answered as he made to jump to a tree and instead ended up in a heap on the ground. Her aura exploded in laughter but her mouth remained silent as she opened her good eye to look at him completely that she saw he was no threat to her now. Slowly, shakily, for the arthritis was bad this night, she lifted herself with aid of the scythe to her full height, her figure silhouetted in the cave entrance.

"Ho there stranger, no need to sneak, come join me if you so wish." She gestured slowly into the cave. No use in shooing him off, she might as well make a friend here rather than an enemy. And, as always, she could use the company.

WC:235

<style>
.natsdb1-a01 b {color:#777788; letter-spacing:-.2px;text-shadow:#223333 0px 0px 5px;}
.natsdb1-a01 {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/9WsMT.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 250px 0px; border:1px solid #666666; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7788aa; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:420px; text-align:justify; }
.natsdb1-a01 .ft-separator{width:250px; border-bottom:1px dotted #223333; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!

When she spoke, as he knew it to be a female now form the voice, Rurik looked up at her somewhat sheepishly. He knew he must look like a fool, but it wouldn't be the first time. He rose slowly to his feet and brushed himself off. As he did he made sure that she would see that he was armed, not as a threat, but to show that he didn't want to hide his weapons from her. Satisfied that his cloths were as clean as they were going to get for now,he stooped over and picked up his staff and walked toward the entrance to the cave.

He passed by the woman and sat down on the ground next to the fire. "Thank you..." He said "For inviting me to join you. I apologize for my sneaking but I wasn't sure if I could pass by your cave safely, I was only being careful." He looked at her and shrugged slightly. Although he had met quiet a few wolves in his traveling, only one had attacked him thus far, and even then it had been Rurik's fault, but one could never be too careful. "I'm Rurik. Rurik Ivanov...." He had never been too good at making small talk, most of the time he was quiet around strangers, and he was beginning to feel a tad awkward for some reason.

<style>
.rurikk .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:7px; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk p {padding:10px; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent: 10px; font-size:12px;}
.rurikk b {color:#3399FF; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurikk i {color:#6D6D6D; font-size:13px;}
.rurikk {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... s/moon.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width: 400px; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

As he stood, the glint of his sword caught in her eye and her brow furrowed anxiously. Zera’im was a pacifist, she had not true was of her defending herself against a Luperci who wished her harm. Zera’im watched him carefully as he approached, but relaxed when she saw the look of awkward embarrassment on his face. She stood much taller than him as well, and usually she did not rely on her stature for confidence but she was glad in it this night.

She was silent as he sat and apologized. She nodded when he finished and carefully lowered herself back onto the flat slab of rock that had become her seat. Once sit she bowed her head at him slightly, "Blessings upon you Rurik Ivanov. I am Zera’im, and though you startled me there is no harm done. Your spirit is a kind one." She stared into his eyes intensely for a moment before regaining herself and looking away.

She grabbed her old worn pack and retrieved from it a small bag; opening it she pulled out a large piece of dried and salted venison jerky. "Would you like something to eat Rurik? Seems as if you have been traveling quite a ways."

WC:205

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!

Rurik had never been spiritual in any way shape or form. Of course he used some curses that involved God or Hell, but they were just words to him. So when she said 'blessings upon you' it made his fur stand of end a tad, but he wasn't sure why. It didn't last long though, the odd feeling gone as quickly as it came. Then she mentioned him having a 'good spirit'. He could think of quite a few words to describe himself, but good wasn't among them. He met her stare, though not as intently. It's nice to meet you Zera'im. He said pleasantly.

At the mention of food, all thoughts of spirits and the like left his mind. It had been a while since he last ate, a day or two at least. It wasn't that he couldn't hunt, more of he chose not to due to being a lazy-ass, unless he really needed to. His stomach answered for him, growling loudly. He felt his face heat up a bit with embarrassment. "Yes please..." He said, trying to keep his mild embarrassment and his hunger out of his voice as best he could. He wasn't completely sure, but that jerky looked just about like the best piece of meat he'd ever seen.

<style>
.fire .ooc {color:#FFFFFF; font-style:italic; font-size:10px; Padding:15px 0px 25px 0px; text-align:center;}
.fire p {color:#F8700C;}
.fire b {font-weight:bold; color:#f0c542; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #42f0a0; }
.fire i {color:#E10B0B;}
.fire {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... urik-1.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:center center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify; width: 330px; padding: 5px 15px 15px 15px; border: 2px solid #E18200; margin: 0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

Zera’im could sense his aura fluctuate to center around his stomach when she produced the meat. With a motherly smile she handed the piece to him, and retrieved one of her own, which she then made to eat. As she chewed the salty flesh, she watched him closely. He was a warrior for sure, but she sensed an awkwardness in him that was hard to place. It was a discomfort that she had associated with individuals who were not in a known place and she therefore assumed he could not be a member of Anathema. Most likely a loner wolf passing through, following his own personal path.

Swallowing the delicious morsel she wrapped her cloak tighter to her body, her guest was guarded and most likely not one to small talk so she kept silent for the moment. The sound of the whispering spirits came to her ear again and outside the cave Korosk muttered. He sometimes reacted to their presence as well. The whispers seemed louder today, more prevalent, and they centered on this stranger. Zera’im supposed there must be some kind of residual spiritual energy lingered on Rurik that was exciting them. She leaned back against the cave wall.

"Tell me Rurik, how does this night find you? Your presence is riling the night time spirits." She gave him a small smirk, one that almost teased. She was sure that her way of speaking would most likely throw this earthly male off, and sometimes she delighted in this trickery.

WC:251

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!/264 words

Rurik took the piece of meat when it was handed to him. It smelled delicious, which made his stomach growl again, practically yelling at him to hurry up and eat. He wanted to try and eat the thing in one bite, but he was in the presence of a stranger, and a lady at that, so he did not want to seem as though he lacked manners.

As he ate he watched Zera'im and noticed that she seemed to be doing the same thing. He knew he was close to the Anathema but he could not be sure as to whether or not she was part of that pack, seeing as her residence were outside it's borders. Not that it really mattered to him, he had no quarrel with Anathema, or any other pack for that matter. He was on a neutral-friendly terms with all of them as far as he was concerned, but he hadn't visited all of the packs yet.

He was in the process of examining her weapon, the way the blade curved from the top of the staff, and vaguely wondering if he could alter his own staff to accommodate such a blade when she spoke to him. He heard what she said clearly enough, but their meaning was lost to him. He looked from the weapon she held to her, looking at her with an eye brow raised. "Huh?" It was the best response he could give her, as he had no clue what she had just said to him, aside from it had something to do with spirits.

<style>
.rurikk .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:7px; font-size:10px;}
.rurikk p {padding:10px; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent: 10px; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk b {color:#3399FF; font-size: 12px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.1em #42f0a0;}
.rurikk i {color:#6D6D6D; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... s/moon.png); background-color:#000000; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width: 400px; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

He reacted to her words just as she had expected and she closed her eyes for a moment and listened intently. She could hear her own breathing and his and a ways away the breathing of her horse, but there were other sounds in the wind and this is what she focused on. Zera’im's clairvoyance had never been exemplary but she could make do with it, right now she just wanted to glean what little information she could from the spirits that were whispering so. From their nearly incoherent muttering she caught one word, more specifically, one name.

Opening her eyes, her pupils dilated from the lack of light and slowly shrinking back down she spoke, "Does the name Makhesthai mean something to you?" This was the name she had heard the spirits whisper, it was a name she was unfamiliar with and she was taking a shot in the dark assuming he would know. But why the spirits would whisper this name must have some importance, so there was a point in asking either way.

Zera’im remembered her first encounter with the other worldly; she was but a pup, not even a year old, and had wandered into the fields near her home to gather mushrooms. It was a safe place and her mother would let her go off on her own often, so Zera had been carefree. But as she knelt to the earth to retrieve its bounty, a cold wind had swept around her like a clenched fist. She had become titubant, unable to escape without falling to her knees, when the spirit manifested itself. She remembered it well, it was a young collie like herself, and it mistook her for its sister. That spirit was drawn to her for weeks, tormenting her until Zera’im finally found the courage to ask her grandmother for help. Together the two of them sent the spirit off through the burning of sage. But that experience still lingered in her mind at times.

WC:332

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Here!/279 words

Rurik watched her as she closed her eyes. She seemed to be listening to something but Rurik had no idea what it could be. He listened as well, thinking that maybe she heard something out in the darkness that he had not, but he only heard the breathing of her, her horse, and himself. The fire crackled softly and fell in a bit, but that was the only out of place sound he could hear. He watched her with rising curiosity, wondering what she could be listening to. "Maybe she fell asleep? He wondered to himself.

His unvoiced question was answered she her eyes opened again and asked him if he knew a Makhesthai. He tensed a bit at the name, but he tried to make it look as inconspicuous as possible. "Yes...it does. He said quietly, quickly debating with himself whether or not he should tell this woman what had happened to him, wondering if he did would she call him crazy. A few days ago I walking walking threw the words when a spirit crossed my path. He was a pup, covered in scars. He said his mother had killed him and his sister, who was with him. He scared me so I backed up away from him but he reached out to touch me. When he did I lost control of my body. It felt as though I had been dumped into a pool of ice water and stirred around. Then it stopped as quickly as it had come. I didn't give him a chance to do it again, I ran and ended up here." He shrugged lightly, silently wondering how she would take his story.

<style>
.rurikk .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent:7px; font-size:10px;}
.rurikk p {padding:10px; color:#FFFFFF; text-indent: 10px; font-size:11px;}
.rurikk b {color:#3399FF; font-size: 12px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.1em #42f0a0;}
.rurikk i {color:#6D6D6D; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

His reaction confirmed it, as a fridged chill seemed to crawl up his back like some nefarious insect. He then recalled his possession by a pup spirit, much like her haunting. It was more likely for young spirits to cause such trouble, for they left life before learning much about it and therefore carried their ignorance into death. But Zera’im had only encountered a possession a handful of times and though his had been slight, she felt like she should offer him some form of protection for the future.

Zera’im unwrapped her cloak, revealing her slender form to the cool of night and the eyes of the stranger, she clasped her hands, "If you would so allow me, I will give a right of protection for you so you may not encounter such spirits anymore, that they will be repelled by you and those you love." She reached into her pack, touched her paw gently against the worn pages of her Bible, drawing strength from it.

The spirits were really riled now their agitation stirring up the air and causing the breeze to become a little more tempest. Korosk muttered and wandered closer to the entrance of the cave, hulking outside it like an obsidian equine statue.

WC:207

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Yay! New Table! =D/204 Words

Rurik thought about her offer for a moment. he had never been real big on religion of any kind, so he had no idea what she could be talking about. There was the chance that it was something simple and harmless, and then there was the chance that she had been playing him all this time and was actually planning on using this 'right of protection' to knock him out and eat him later! "Rurik...you're becoming paranoid. calm down...she just wants to help you." He thought to himself, banishing the thoughts of being eaten by the woman and her horse. He thought back to when he had been possessed and shuddered lightly, never wanting to go threw that again.

He jumped slightly as the wind picked up. It might have just been his paranoia, but it seemed colder than it had before, and now had a different feel to it. He couldn't put his finger on it, but he knew it was there. He shrugged to himself and passed it off as him being stupid. "Alright...you can do what ever it is you're going to do." He said, awaiting any instructions he may have to follow to assist in the ritual.

<style>
.pillar .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#cfcfcf; text-indent:120px; font-size:10px; Padding:0px 0px 210px 0px;}
.pillar p {padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; font-size:11px; text-indent:10px;}
.pillar b {color:#b13a00; font-size:12px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.1em #000000;}
.pillar i {color:#bc501b; font-size:11px;}
.pillar {background-image:url(http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... lar2-1.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#781900; background-position:top center; width:355px; padding:0px 10px 10px 10px; border: 2px solid #411003; margin:0px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Nice thread Rath let's do it again soon Smile

Though he seemed unsure, which was to be expected, Rurik agreed for the right to be performed. Zera’im quickly retrieved her Bible, which she did not open but instead laid between the two of them, and also a small clear jar filled with water. She stood then and walked to Rurik’s side and gently placed a hand on his head before closing her eyes.

She stood there for a moment in silence before praying aloud in a deep voice that was different from the tone she had just been speaking in. She crossed herself, then began reciting the right of protection;

In honor of the Precious Blood of Jesus and His fearful death and of His Resurrection and of His Glorification, by which He leads us to everlasting life; As true as Joseph and Nicodemus took Jesus from the Cross; As true as Jesus ascended into heaven, may he preserve us from our enemies, both visible and invisible, forever and ever. Amen.

As she spoke this, the wind seemed pick up again, and with purpose she removed the stopper from the small jar and dipped her thumb within its watery contents and placed this wet thumb upon his forehead, and creating a wet cross there. Immediately as the prayer finished the wind died down to nothing more then a soft breath and Zera’im could no longer hear the whispering. The spirits were put to rest now that the lingering energy of Makhesthai was gone.

OOC: Rath stayed with Zera’im for a little longer, a little overwhelmed by what had taken place, but soon returning to a normal state. Zera supplied him with some more venison jerky before he took to his path once more into the night.

WC:287

<style>
.natsdb1-a01 b:before { content: open-quote; }
.natsdb1-a01 b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]