his reflection
[html]
300+

To think – he’d never seen the sea.

Standing here at the entrance to the rest of the world was unsettling. Shandom was not sure whether or not he quite liked it – it sent a strange shiver down his spine. Everything was quiet and serene, the only sound coming from the caws of birds and the soft wush of the water against the sand. It felt so different beneath his four paws – he’d elected to remain in his Lupus form for this particular adventure, and he felt much better this way – almost intangible, like he could, at any moment, fall away. The autumn sun was warm on his alabaster back, and Shandom enjoyed and appreciated it. The smells of winter were fast coming, and although he had no particular distaste for the cooler season, having been raised in an extremely chilly environment, he would be sad to see the vibrancy of fall depart.

He liked the serenity, and the silence. It reminded him of days that made sense to him, when he could wander alone and live with his own thoughts and memories. Since he was banished from Etienne, time had become almost liquid to him – he lost track of days, living by the change of daylight and seasons. Those he came across were equally independent, and their times together were brief. The longest he’d spent with a wolf outside of someone from Etienne was Keliyya and Yajaira, and even that was relatively short. Long enough for them to have a whirlwind romance, long enough for him to impregnate her and meet the children, and long enough for him to realize he couldn’t do it.

Shandom sighed, reclining onto his haunches and keeping his eyes trained on the ever shifting water. It was so beautiful, really, and utterly untamed. He thought it must be a nice way to be, beholden to nobody and ever moving, ever shifting. In its ripples, his face was indistinct and constantly changing – it did not reflect much besides the outline. And yet he could still see the incredibly defined scar, the jagged line that entirely ruined his face. The image was imbalanced, and Shandom knew it was because of his blindness; he remembered the days when everything was even.

Such balance did not exist for him now.

<style type="text/css"> .mustfall b {font-weight:normal; color:#d2e9fe; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#182d42 0px 0px 3px; } .mustfall .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 20px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#cfd8da; text-align:center; text-shadow:#04050b 0px 1px 1px;} .mustfall p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px;} .mustfall {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4076bb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/lnGAO.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4076bb; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#9bdcfe; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;} </style> [/html]
Bad day to be so sad. Terra twitched her tail, holding back a laugh. Almost everyone she'd met seemed to have a tragedy about them. Really, her life was quite boring in comparison. She studied the wolf silently. He was blind in the one eye, that much was obvious. As fun as it would be to bug him about that, Terra felt that'd be a pretty bad idea.

Terra came and sat on his right side, studying the water with him. It was quite pretty, very different from the lakes and rivers she'd known. The water was more ferocious, daring people to near it and survive. How could the sea cause him to be unhappy?

Terra glanced at her wayward companion again. Maybe he'd be more entertaining if they left. Want to go for a stroll? The borders are quite nice right now. Very colorful. Terra eased herself into his shoulder, sighing with contentment. He wasn't in optime form, which was such a nice break for her. She could relax without worrying about being a fool.
[html]
You’ll have to forgive Shandom’s hostility – he’s not great with strange wolves. Bit of a crank, sometimes. xD WC: 300+

Naturally, silence never lasted and, especially in Shandom’s world, neither did serenity. A little female, coyote in blood, had sauntered up to him and remarked that today wasn’t a good day to be sad. Her comment made a small smile play across his face, though he remained silent – he was not sad; not in the slightest. Instead, he was relaxed and calm, contended to be alone in his own thoughts. She smelled of Cours des Miracles, the pack he’d chosen to make his new home, and he felt slightly guilty. Since joining, Shandom floated in and out of the packlands, an alabaster ghost against the landscape of an ending war. He hadn’t any interest in involving himself in these dynamics.

Part of him hoped the female would leave. She appeared youthful, which made him nervous him nervous, though he appreciated that she’d chosen her four legged form. The fact that she was blatantly confident enough to approach a stranger without much introduction was also strange to him – why would she even do that? Shandom found it disrespectful and almost downright stupid. For all she knew, he could have turned on her and killed her for merely approaching him. He wanted to open his mouth and chastise her, and then she did (what he perceived to be) the unthinkable.

She leaned into him.

Shandom yelped in shock, surprise, and moderate anger. He whirled to face her, eyes narrowed in suspicion. ”While you smell of Cours des Miracles, do not make this mistake of touching me until you are at the very least formally introduced to me” Shandom snarled. The fur on the back of his neck stood on end; indeed, his whole body appeared slightly larger for the impressive stature he assumed. ”Let me advise you this, young one – It would be unwise to approach a stranger like that. You do not know me, and I could very easily have attacked you for that”.

He did not respond to her request for a walk, though perhaps when he calmed down it would be a decent idea.

<style type="text/css"> .mustfall b {font-weight:normal; color:#d2e9fe; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#182d42 0px 0px 3px; } .mustfall .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 20px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#cfd8da; text-align:center; text-shadow:#04050b 0px 1px 1px;} .mustfall p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px;} .mustfall {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4076bb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/lnGAO.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4076bb; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#9bdcfe; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;} </style> [/html]
Terra blinked. She hadn't realized that introductions would be needed. They were pack, after all. Would another pack member really attack her? It was really rather strange. I beg your pardon. Your customs are strange. I'm not used to such introductions. Carefully she backed off. It wouldn't be good for her to insult a member of her new pack.
[html]
Sorry it’s so short. Dx Btw, I saw your original post, and this one’s a little easier to respond to (and certainly friendlier!) I wasn’t quite sure how to go about it the first way without Shandom completely freaking out at her!

Clearly, this female had lost her mind. That was the only thing Shandom could possibly come up with as to why on earth she had no grasps of what were obviously social norms. Regardless of their status as packmates, Shandom figured that every wolf knew it was at least proper to introduce yourself before making the step of leaning into someone you’d barely met. He still was breathing heavily as he stared at her, eyes narrowed. The extremely young puppies he’d met hadn’t been this ignorant, and she was clearly on her way out of puppy hood, if not already departed. Anger, mixed with irritation, coursed through him. If there was one thing that got his temper riled, it was ignorance. This female seemed pretty ignorant.

But she apologized, and apparently seemed confused about what had happened. Shandom relaxed a bit, though he was still on guard – she was still unfamiliar to him, and had taken liberties that he thought to be a little absurd. “It’s all right,” he muttered, eyeing her warily. “I understand coming from lands with different cultures; Cours des Miracles can be a bit of a shock.” He took a deep breath, gathering himself and attempting to smile. It came out more like a grimace, and he shook his head. Letting her get to him had been a mistake.

He took another deep breath, and the smile that came was a little easier. She was quite young, and he was sure that being alone in this new land had to be slightly discomforting for her. “My name is Shandom Qi’Vaex-Nightslayer, I’m new to Cours des Miracles. May I have your name, Miss…?”

Terra. This really is a strange place. There were no luperci were my pack was, though we were pretty isolated. I guess I'm just not used to how it is around here. I don't suppose you want to go back to your thoughts? She felt a bit uncomfortable. Whether or not she hadn't been around others in a long time, this wolf wasn't very helpful. Still, he was pack.

The idea that another pack member could be dangerous was shocking. The idea just wouldn't stick in her head. Had he lost his eye that way? It didn't matter much, but she was getting restless. If he wanted to be left alone she had no problems. Her legs itched to be stretched out running, unused to the stillness after months of traveling. At least the wolf hadn't chased her away. She was new, and by what she'd seen strangers were unwelcome, even as pack. That was another thing to get used to, as intermingling in her old pack had been as natural as breathing.
[html]
Here ya go. It’s up to you whether or not they go for a walk; if you want, they can just go their separate ways and we can call it a thread. Also – Shandom does still have his left eye, it’s just very milky and clouded and absolutely useless. The lower eyelid is pulled down slightly, exposing that little pink inside lid. Just for clarification – I don’t explain it well in his bio!

Terra was an innocent enough name, though she did not appear to have a surname. Perhaps her home did not engage in that particular cultural nuance – he cataloged that in his mind as another strange thing about her. The air was tangibly awkward, and Shandom could sense that he was not the only one uncomfortable with the entire situation. In his defense, she had crossed every line he’d ever known by touching him in such a way before he even knew who she was. Regardless of pack status, it was just something that was not done in Etienne. There were formalities and customs to be followed, and Shandom was very much a traditionalist. It was why he preferred his four legged form.

”There were no luperci in my pack, either. I don’t believe the virus had spread there yet,” Shandom murmured when she mentioned it. “It’s quite strange, to see so many wolves in their two legged form. I must admit, though you shocked me, it is quite refreshing to see another utilizing four legs,”. He stretched languidly and pondered her question for a moment: would he like to go back to his thoughts? He wasn’t quite sure. He’d spent a lot of time alone in the past years of his life, and though he appreciated the silence and serenity, sometimes he’d also be fond of a conversation and stroll.

“I’m rather indifferent, to be honest,” Shandom admitted to her. ”I’m always up for a stroll, if I haven’t frightened you away already. You must forgive me – pack members, where I am from, do not necessarily mean friends.” He grimaced, thinking about everything that occurred with Lea. Though he loved her, he had to admit it made him slightly suspicious of wolves he did not know. Shandom was well aware she wanted his blood, and when he had been closer to Etienne, there had been rumors of her spies searching for him. That had been part of his initial shock when Terra leaned against him – for all he knew, it had been an attack.

Terra wagged her tail. A walk then. Do you know any nice places? I am quite new here. It's nice to know I'm not the only one unsettled by all the two leggers. Terra grinned at the use of the slang word. It wasn't one she'd heard outside her pack, mostly in reference to the humans that had died. It was quite unnatural, the way that the canines here seemed so much like them. Terra was almost afraid they would turn into humans themselves.

Crooning softly to herself Terra brushed her fur from where she'd bristled. It was a habit from being alone. It's easier to hide in plain sight when you don't stand out, and looking panicked was not a way to do that. At least this was only out of surprise. There was no blood clinging to her fur from a stolen meal, or wounds from getting too close to those that would kill her. It would be hard learning not to relax so fully in her pack. They were awfully tense from the war, though she hoped to help change that.
[html]
250+

She agreed to the walk, and Shandom gave her another tentative smile. It would be nice to explore and engage in conversation with someone from his own pack – perhaps he could make, if not a friend, but a good acquaintance. Terra seemed innocent enough now that his heart had stopped racing, though he was still a little wary of her. To be fair, he was wary of all wolves he deemed youthful – in his mind, they reminded him of Xyvi and Kora, and he didn’t want to think about them too much. Ever, in fact. He never wanted to think about them.

“Unfortunately, Terra, I am new as well. I came here today to observe the water, as I’ve never seen it in this quantity. Perhaps we could just stroll along the beach?” His voice was lighter than before, and there was no antagonism in his words. Shandom meant to make her feel more comfortable, though he was sure his negative reaction earlier would tamper her perception of her. “As we walk, you could tell me how you came to choose Cours des Miracles, and how you like it there. I have found myself quite absent from the backlands lately; I am remiss to admit I find the pack dynamics a little strange after so much time alone.”

Internally, Shandom winced. He knew his speaking was extremely formal in comparison to many wolves, though it was a product of his childhood. In being trained to assume the Alpha position within Etienne, he had constantly been reminded to keep his words dignified and succinct – it was expected of someone from the Qi’Vaex line.

A walk along the ocean seemed quite nice. Maybe she'd even get up her courage to enter the water herself. She wasn't used to such large waves, and it would be cold. Standing Terra started strolling along, dodging the rocks and plants along the way. He was really nice once he'd relaxed. His speech was a little odd, but she didn't know what to expect from the wolves here. I chose it because it's like my old pack. The members are fairly easy going, with the obvious exception. Terra grinned, remembering his sharp words. It's a lot different than what I'm used to, but I guess that's to be expected. After all, you do have luperci here. Are you one as well?

She still couldn't tell if they were unless they were in secui or optime form, which he was not. Lifting her head she sniffed the sea air. It was quite nice, salty and fresh. It reminded her of Shandom, actually. Just like the sea he was rough and peaceful, new. She wasn't sure if she'd like it, but it was definitely something she wanted to learn all about.
[html]
Sorry for the slight GMing – let me know if it’s too much and I can change it Smile
300+

Shandom chuckled at her little stab at his original sharpness, and rolled his eyes. I promise, I am not typically so unfriendly. You are lucky to have had so much interaction with our fellow pack members – perhaps, when we return, you could introduce me to a few? His question was tentative and hopeful, and he gave her a small, shy smile as the pair strolled leisurely along the beach. The salty, tangy air was sharp in his nose; it sent a shiver along his spine and caused the hairs to lift on the nape of his neck. It wasn’t an unpleasant sensation, simply…. Unfamiliar. That was the appropriate word for this whole afternoon. It was not unpleasant, but instead entirely unfamiliar; it could therefore not be entirely lovely either. But still, Shandom could appreciate the idea of having Terra as a friend. She seemed far more gregarious than he, and would probably be a wonderful ally when it came to attempting to rise through the Cours des Miracles ranks and make an actual name of himself.

He realized he hadn’t answered her question about whether or not he was a Luperci, and chuckled. Yes, I am a Luperci, though I find the whole virus still strange. I sometimes question whether or not I should have allowed myself to be turned. Shandom’s thoughts inevitably turned to Tourniquet, and he bestowed a small smile on the pleasant memory. It was out of necessity that I was infected; to tell you the truth, I would have preferred to not have the ability to shift. I find it entirely unnatural. But the traveler who helped me survive the injury that scars my face encouraged me to shift; she said it would be easier for her to heal me. The male knew he was babbling, but he almost could not stop himself. It had been entirely too long since he had a real conversation with someone, and he found Terra easy to talk to. Perhaps it was her outgoing nature.

The sea tumbled near them, and Shandom found he loved the sound. More and more he was drawn to it, and his steps, though still firmly on the damp sand, grew closer to the water itself. He was a sure swimmer, but these waters looked so much more tulmultous than the placid rivers of Etienne. Have you ever swam, Miss Terra? Shandom inquired politely, eyes fully trained towards the sea.

Terra thought about the pack members she'd seen. She'd only talked to three personally, though she'd watched many of their comings and goings. I can introduce you to Liam. He's a nice guy. Hunting with him had been quite the experience, one she was eager to repeat. It had been her first time hunting in optime form. The strangeness of it still shocked her a little.

She froze when she heard that others could be turned into luperci. If she had known, she'd have never left her pack. Terra would have shared her power. As it was, she was too powerful to stay with them, and had to leave. Shandom was uncomfortable with the idea of shifting, and she couldn't blame him. Being born one had been strange enough without others around her. To become one was unthinkable, unnatural. She imagined it would have been painful as well.

I've swum in lakes, but not for very long. Terra eyed the water meaningfully. Leaping in would take courage. The waves were much larger than anything she was used to. Still, her curiosity drove her forward. Is it different swimming in the ocean? The water was undrinkable, but beyond that she knew very little about it.
[html]
250+

He wanted to swim. The water seemed dangerous and untamed; he liked that about them. In the world he plunged into where everything seemed so civilized, Shandom yearned for the beauty and danger of the unknown wild. His ears were perked forward, his tail held erect, and his whole body trembled with excitement. It had been a long time since he felt such a turbulent emotion, and he wanted to harness it in doing something he’d never done before. Shandom had always been an excellent swimmer – he and Lea enjoyed their frolics in the rivers that wound through Etienne – but this presented a different challenge. He could not imagine the waves were particularly easy to navigate.

Shandom found himself drifting to the ocean. Its roar consumed his ears and the smell of salt was overwhelmingly enjoyable. Terra appeared fascinated by it as well, and Shandom turned to smile at her. “I suppose it would be slightly more difficult. Do you see how wild the water is? And it is probably cold as well… Though, I admit, that would not bother me. The rivers I swam in as a youth were much chillier, as I was further north.” He was silent for several moments, as if making a decision. “I’m going to go in,” he announced before striding confidently into the waves.

It was absolutely freezing, of course. Shandom yelped in surprise and delight as the water lapped around his alabaster legs. The water drew in and out, as if it could not make up its mind as to whether or not it wanted to touch him. It quickly made up his mind as a large wave crashed into his chest, utterly soaking his body. A huge, wolfy smile curled across his lips. “This is wonderful!”

There was no way Terra was just going to sit and watch as someone else had fun. With a leap she splashed in beside him, coming up coughing water. The water was freezing cold, she had to question whether or not she'd been in her right mind, but as another wave came up Terra threw herself into the moment. The wave dashed forwards in a rush, as Terra charged it right back. Her feet paddled the water below, pushing her forward. With a sharp yip she threw herself through as it hit her. The water was refreshing once she got over the cold, and pleasant to taste.

Lapping at the water Terra turned her head to spot Shandom behind her, appearing to be having just as much fun. Swimming over Terra nipped at his ear before pushing away. The water seemed to sweep everything away, time and boundaries nonexistent. Only the ocean existed with the two of them. Swimming was difficult, but Terra was enjoying herself. She wouldn't give it up just to rest. Always she lived on the edge, and this was just another one to dance on.
[html]
300+

The water crashed and drew away around him as Shandom splashed like a child. He had not felt so relaxed and youthful in countless moons; it was a wonderful sense of joy and freedom that filled his chest. His heart grew and beat energetically in his chest as he dipped in and out of the cold, dark water. The sensation of salt on his skin was strange; he knew that when he exited the water it would be a borderline unpleasant sensation. Still, he didn’t mind. He would live in the moment, and enjoy the cool depths of the water. It was an entirely new experience, and Shandom found he enjoyed sharing it with Terra.

He supposed she wasn’t all that bad. A little childlike, perhaps, but if she brought about this reaction in him, he could get used to her. It was fun, watching her frolic in the waves. It seemed she did not have a care in the world, and he liked that quite a bit. Living such a life seemed so utterly unattainable, but it gave him a sense of renewed, if not brief, joy to think that there could be such a life. She nipped at his ear, and he didn’t mind like he had before when she touched him. Instead, Shandom snapped back playfully, a wolfy grin on his face. He followed her deeper into the water, rubbing slightly against her as he swam along. It was so nice to be in such a relaxed, easy situation.

Soon, he supposed, he would have to get out. There was a chill in the air, and Shandom knew it would be most uncomfortable when he was out and damp. Still, he was content with swimming for a bit longer.

Swimming was difficult. She felt Shandom nudge against her, and smiled in reply. He was a lot more relaxed and cheerful than before. Terra had made another playmate, or target depending on the circumstances. She'd have to be delicate with him though. Even if she couldn't see them, Terra felt that Shandom was hiding scars. She had no idea what they were, but it kept him from usually frolicking like this.

Terra turned her thoughts from things that dragged her down to look around. They'd drifted further down from when they started, which surprised her. Swimming in lakes gave her no concept of a current, so for her it was like she'd just been drifting along. Rapidly Terra pulled towards shore, wanting to get out. The chill was beginning to sink into her fur, and she wanted to wash the salt out. There was the fact that she wasn't that good a swimmer as well.

The last wave pushed her onto shore in a rush, almost knocking her head over heels. Out of the water she shook herself, trying to dry a little. Looking around she spotted Shandom still swimming out there, looking completely peaceful. Terra began to groom herself, hating the taste of fur and salt in her mouth. A breeze hit her, causing her to shiver. A nice warm place would be really nice right around then.
[html]
400+

Although he'd been feeling light and free for the past several minutes, the water was beginning to get to Shandom. A deep chill set in his bones and a shiver ran down his spine: it was uncomfortable, to say the least. It reminded him of the onset of winter, and how he would soon need to burrow for a den in Cours des Miracles. Wolves there slept indoors, but Shandom had not taken the time to investigate the so called 'hotel'. It was another thing he found strange and slightly ridiculous about his new home, though he would never outwardly vocalize that incredibly impolite statement to anyone. He'd probably just find a nice, cozy spot near a few trees yet still close to the rest of the pack, and stay there. In the back of his mind, Shandom desperately hoped he did not become the 'pack weirdo', though he was sure he was already toeing that path.

Terra had already swum out, and it was only then that the male noticed he and his new - friend, perhaps? - had been swept away by the current further down the beach. Not wanting to get too far out to sea, the alabaster male struck out for shore. The journey back took longer than he anticipated, and his muscles ached in the most glorious way. Physical training had always given him such a wonderful burn, one that he hadn't felt since he abandoned his training regimen with Etienne. It was not to say the male was out of shape - his lean, sinewy body was still rock hard without much fat - but he was not the same warrior he had once been. Shandom realized the thought made him quite sad.

Reaching shore, he mimicked what Terra did when she'd reached the coast: the male shook vigerously, sending diamond beads of water flying through the air and hitting his new female friend. I'm so sorry, Miss Terra, Shandom apologized, though he could not help the slight smirk that grew on his lips. It was actually kind of funny. Feeling the chill in the air, the male shivered. It was much colder out here when he was wet, and he found himself almost longing for the water again. Still, he knew it was probably not the best idea. We should probably return to the pack lands soon, the male mused, staring in the general direction of Cours des Miracles.

Sorry? Playfully Terra nudged Shandom. I dare say that was on purpose. Yeah, we probably should head back. She felt cold now that she was out of the water. Shivering slightly she began to walk back towards the pack lands. Once there she would burrow herself into her mattress, waiting for the cold to pass. The only downside about the mattress was it would absorb the wet, making it cold as well. Terra would have to come up with a solution for that. A wet den was no use to her.

Terra mused over the past little while. She found the pack strange with all it's human customs, making Shandom one of the most normal wolves she'd met, and she wasn't used to wolves either. The hotel was similar to the places where the coyote pack slept together in a heap, sharing the warmth. It was the first time to have the pack so divided. Still, there was at least one person she knew she could connect to. Terra smiled at Shandom, glad for having spent the time together.