Tired And Broken
[html]

Figured it was about time to introduce Blind to some other Dreamers Smile Anyone's welcome to hop in whenever.

Blind trudged to the water's edge, her body tired and determined to rest. She had been wandering for too long, and as she sat by the lake, she made up her mind not to venture far from her pack again. She was grateful for the opportunities she had had to make friends in her attempt to return to her birthplace, but after being nearly blinded by a bear and having to say one too many 'good-byes,' the dark she-wolf realized that the safety of her new home was where she belonged. If she did decide to venture past the borders again anyway, she would make sure to stay within a sniff's distance.

Lying down on the cool grass, Blind let her tail dip into the water and create soft ripples on the glassy surface. It fascinated her to think that, only weeks ago, her sight had been nearly gone. Now, as she surveyed her surroundings, the eye that had threatened blindness was covered in only a slight fog, and the other was completely clear. Although the pain in her leg had returned, it wasn't nearly as severe as it had been, and the tilt in her hips was now non-existent. She considered herself blessed to have healed the way that she did, but she knew that if the hybrid she met in Halifax hadn't taken her to see a healer when she had, she probably wouldn't be as well off.

Thoughts of her friend kicked the walls of her heart and tugged a soft whimper from her throat. She missed the companionship, and hoped that she would eventually meet canines in Crimson Dreams with whom she could connect just as well. Blind knew better than to impose herself on others, but the waiting sometimes grew difficult. Being new wasn't exactly a sociable status, for all she could do was sit around and keep to herself...or at least, that's all she FELT she could do. The dark-pelted she-wolf looked down at her reflection, remembering the words her mother had once spoken to her: "You'll make friends without even trying. Just let them see who you really are.

Blind's brow furrowed. Who am I, but another wolf? she muttered to herself. What do others see in me? She lifted her tail from the water, flicking the droplets from her fur. She then slapped the water with her paw, watching a mess of black skitter around where her reflection had been.

Blind rested her head on her paws and closed her eyes. Letting a heavy sigh escape her lips, the young she-wolf reasoned that a nap would make everything feel better. Letting the silence fill her ears, she began to feel herself slowly dozing off.

<style type="text/css">
.blindlight b {font-weight:bold; color:#84c1a5; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#856c71 0px 0px 1px; font-family:palatino linotype, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.blindlight p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blindlight .ooc {font-size:10px; text-align:right; font-family:verdana;}
.blindlight {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/mlnhg.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#856c71; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">
.ehnodark b {font-weight:bold; color:#d1d0d1; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ehnodarkooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.ehnodark p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 25px;margin:0px;}
.ehnodark {width:425px;border:1px solid #181b22;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nodark.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:145px;background-color:#222b3d;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#a2a1a3;}
</style>

Hey there! wc:342

The Dreamers and their allies from Cour des Miracles had managed to accomplish what they set out to do. One final, concentrated assault against the enemy forces that had terrorized them for countless weeks. The tyrannous leader was finally dethroned and their family reunited with them. Thanks to their combined efforts, they had managed to finally turn the situation around in a single day of combat. Everything was winding down now. There were no words to express how relieved the Marino man was beginning to feel. They could not let their guard down so quickly, of course, but the situation had resolved itself to a state that Ehno was comfortable with. He could finally sleep again.

Their victory did not come free, however. Lives were lost and many were injured. Ehno was among those unlucky enough to return home with physical souvenirs from the battle. The Italian felt as if he ached all over, sore from exertion and damage sustained while fighting. His right arm had been stitched up from where a crazed Guardian had left her mark with her sword, cleaned and bandaged to fight off infection. Another bandage wound around his torso, covering shallow wounds and providing support for what he strongly suspected were broken ribs.

Those ribs were what pained him the most. Since returning to Crimson Dreams territory, the male had spent most of his time bedridden in the manor. There was a constant ache radiating from where the lunatic had pummeled him, and sometimes it was just hard to breathe. The male longed for fresh air, though, and so today he convinced himself to venture out to the lake. It seemed that he wasn’t the only one who sought the quiet and calm of the lakeshore. A dark-furred wolf, presumably one of their newest additions to the pack judging from her scent, lounged beside the water. As Ehno neared, he noticed that she looked to be asleep. He slowly eased himself into a sitting position a short distance away, hissing slightly from the strain on his chest.

[/html]
[html]

Hello there! Nice of you to join ^^

As Blind slept, strange visions floated through her mind's eye. She saw her mother...her friends...her home...the forest...but they were all distorted. The colors weren't right, the voices of her loved ones were warped, and nothing was the right size. She tried to run from the images, but it seemed like her legs were bolted down to the forest floor. She tried to call out for help, but her maw seemed to be tied shut. It wasn't until she finally woke with a yelp that the horrors ended.

Breathing heavily, Blind's eyes darted around the lake, her nerves finally settling once she realized it had all been a dream. The vision of her mother's solemn face had been the most prominent, and Blind distinctly heard her say that she was 'disappointed' and 'lonely.' Blind felt her heart shatter inside her chest and tears stream down her face as she called for her mother to come back, to live with her in this new home. But she knew her mother was gone...she knew it was all a dream, and she'd have to move on and live her life like she was meant to.

Her attention suddenly directed to a luperci sitting beside her - the warm scent of the pack mingled with the sharp scent of blood on his fur. She looked him over carefully, staying silent at first. She remembered well her past encounters with males, one being a perturbed luperci and the other being a furious grizzly bear. Her ears flattened with caution as she laid very still.

Flicking her tail anxiously, Blind swallowed hard before finally gathering the courage to speak. Hello, she squeaked, can I help you?

<style type="text/css">
.blindlight b {font-weight:bold; color:#84c1a5; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#856c71 0px 0px 1px; font-family:palatino linotype, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.blindlight {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/mlnhg.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#856c71; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Big Grin Glad to join. wc:302

Just having some company was nice, even in silence. He could relax, pretend that the last few months had been but a bad dream. He hoped that as time put more distance between them and the end of the war, he could really start to believe that. But in his current wounded state, he couldn’t hold on to the illusion for long. His aches and pains were a constant reminder of what had just occurred. Even simply walking through the manor was a sobering reminder of the reality they had all faced. Everyone was still tending to their own wounds, both physical and psychological.

So the silence was a nice change of pace. The lake could not remember the strife, nor remind him of it. The Italian man watched the reflection of the clouds passing by on the water’s surface for a short while, letting his mind drift with the simplicity of the moment. After a while he closed his eyes, trying to breathe deeply and let his thoughts clear. Suddenly, his sleeping packmate awoke with a yelp, glancing around frantically. The sudden noise startled Ehno out of his thoughtless dozing.

The girl seemed frozen with caution as she stared up at him, clearly on edge. With apparent effort she finally managed to speak, a quick greeting and an anxious question. “Hello,” he said, turning to face the awakened girl. He winced from the strain the motion put on his wound and took a moment to take a slow, deep breath. When the pain seemed to pass he turned his gaze to her bi-colored eyes. “I am sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb your rest,” he said, offering an apology with accented words. He summoned one of his kind smiles to his features. “I’m Ehno. You must be rather new here, yes?”

[/html]
[html]

Be warned, the following is probably the crappiest piece of writing I've ever produced lol. My brain is not in it today, but I didn't want to keep you waiting Tongue

This wolf was Italian - that was interesting. Blind portrayed a look of caution and awe as she took in the sight of a species she had never come into contact with before. His injuries struck up a bout of curiosity inside her, and for a moment she found herself almost ignoring his greeting and jumping right to the question of the their story. But she kept her maw shut and nodded shortly instead.

You're fine, she said in response to his apology, I am, in fact, new here and it's nice to have some company. Her head tilted in surprise at the ease of her speech, just as it had when the same shock came to her in the forest when she had run into her hybrid friend. Her recent change in attitude and demeanor caused many quiet moments of contemplation, as she tried to make sense of the things going on in what Blind now called her 'new life.' She seemed to be a completely different wolf; even her physical appearance was changing. At times she welcomed it, and at times it frightened her. Either way, it was inevitable that she try to cope.

Rising to a sitting position, she kept her bi-colored eyes focused on Ehno. She repeated his unique name in her mind until she got used to it, then finally spoke:It's nice to meet you, Ehno. My name's Blind.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Pshhh, I see no crappy writing. Tongue No worries. wc:326

He was pleased to find that the girl was able to relax. The cautious look in her eyes slowly melted away, replaced by curiosity. She answered his question with ease, and he felt himself relaxing slightly now that she seemed comfortable. That was good—he knew that in his beat-up state he might have presented a rather intimidating picture. Well, that, or rather pathetic. He certainly felt that way when his side gave him a particularly fierce ache.

Piacere, Blind. It is good to meet you,” he said in return, his usual friendly smile gracing his maw in full force. “Yes, company is certainly nice, as is the peace,” he agreed, words picking up a slightly solemn tone. Peace, yes. That was a relief to have. It still seemed odd for the Marino to consider that their days of strife were supposedly at an end. Yes, the threat in the form of the tyrant of AniWaya and his protectors had been removed, but it was still somewhat difficult for the Dreamer to keep his guard down for long. Family and friends had returned to them, and he wanted to make sure they would stay safe.

But there was no need to consider that now. He brushed the thoughts aside, focusing instead on the girl sitting nearby. “Tell me, Blind, how are you liking it here? I hope Crimson Dreams has been treating you well.” Translation: I hope that you have been lucky enough to escape the war’s clutches. New faces would come and go from their packlands at times, and he hoped that the violence that had surrounded the land of Dreamers until a few days past would not scare the girl into leaving. Truly, he could not have blamed her if the thought of fighting did make her change her mind. Crimson Dreams used to be a safe and peaceful place, and it would take them time to feel comfortable with that label once again.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry this took so long! I'm a good procrastinator Tongue

A small smile crept across Blind's lips when the wolf spoke in an unfamiliar language - it was intriguing. So intriguing, in fact, that she nearly missed the male's question.

Shaking her head, she focused on Ehno's words and replied, Mm, here is fine. I spend a lot of time keeping to myself, but it is a lot less lonely than wandering the wilderness like I used to. Blind smiled at the pleasantness this comparison brought to her. Sometimes it took stopping and thinking about recent events for the young wolf to realize just how blessed she had been. She never had a place to officially call home when she was younger, as she slept in a new place nearly every night. Sometimes Blind's mother allowed them to stay a day or two longer if the place was particularly pleasant, but it was a rare occurrence. Now that Blind's residency was a bit more permanent, she felt she could truly relax and discover what it meant to be 'home.'

So, Blind began, shifting her focus to the male's wounds, what happened to you? The young she-wolf knew that there was a war going on between her pack and another, so she wondered if maybe that was the reason he was so hurt. However, she knew well enough that the unclaimed territory surrounding the packs was just as dangerous as any war, so her assumption wasn't solid. She waited patiently for the male's answer, interest apparent on her dark face.

<style>
.blindy .ooc {font-style:italic;color:#d99f64; }
.blindy p {padding:3px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.blindy b {color:#d99f64; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.blindy {background-color:#443e33; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat;}
.blindy .text {font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#967c59; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:427px; margin-top:-60px; text-align:justify; padding:-150px 0px 10px 0px; }
.blindy-border {width:427px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Ohh, procrastination's a good friend of mine. Tongue

Ah, yes, the lonely life of a wanderer. Ehno had had his fair share of the wandering life when he was a yearling, but being the sociable wolf that he was, he constantly found himself flocking toward some of the more populated locations around Europe when he travelled. He was glad that Crimson Dreams was able to offer Blind a much needed break from loneliness. The pack was like one big family, and he hoped that in time, the girl would feel like family to them as well. “Well, I’m glad you are liking it here. Everyone here is quite friendly. If you drop by the manor, you’re sure to bump into many of us,” he said, smiling.

And then came the inevitable question. Walking around looking so beat up was of course going to draw attention, Ehno knew. His smile became a little more tired as he glanced down and considered his wounds. He reached up and rubbed gently at the bandaged portion of his chest. Amber eyes turned back up to his dark-furred packmate. “How much do you know of the recent war?” he asked. “Many of us went over to AniWaya two days ago to finally put an end to things. Needless to say, I’m not much of a fighter.” He laughed slightly, trying to lighten the subject by poking fun at himself, but the effort caused a fresh wave of pain to spread through his side and he winced.

[/html]
[html]

Haha isn't it lovely?

A shy smile spread across Blind's maw as she listened to the male. His kindness put her nerves at ease, as she sensed no immediate threat. She felt slightly protective of the canine too, oddly enough, and grew worried at his condition.

Blind nodded when Ehno wished her well in the pack, her smile growing ever wider. She sat up a little, her ears pointing forward with attentiveness. Although she often worried if she would ever make many friends, she was surprised at how often she ran into pleasant canines along her journeys through this new land. Her tail wagged lazily at this thought, and then prickled when he spoke of the war coming to an end. She hadn't paid much attention to the pack's current affairs, simply because she was not a fighter by any means and wished to stay far away from battle. But news of things coming to an end, however uneducated Blind may have been, was welcome in her mind.

I didn't know things were resolved, no, she admitted with excitement. Please friend, tell me your stories. She leaned forward intently, her eyes bright with hope, and couldn't help but wonder if she had carried peace on her flanks when she wandered into this new land.

<style type="text/css">
.blackblind b {font-weight:bold; color:#eeeba7; letter-spacing:1px;}
.blackblind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.blackblind p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blackblind {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#212327; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/14wq61j.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:45px; padding: 450px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9da7ba; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Haha, oh yes. wc:335

Ehno could not blame the girl for her lack of knowledge of Crimson Dreams’ strife. Joining up only to find that her new home was in the midst of a so-called war—it made sense that she may have wanted to lay low until the whole thing was over. The relief the Marino felt knowing that there was now an end in sight was extraordinary, and certainly Blind felt a relief of her own at the news. There would be no need for her to get involved now. No more fighting. No more fear. That was how it should be.

She seemed eager to learn more, and Ehno found himself shrugging very slightly as he considered the events of the last few days, weeks. “Mmm, AniWaya’s leader had been removed from power,” he explained. Things were still being wrapped up, as far as he knew, but for all intents and purposes, Maska had been dethroned and his threat removed. “They still had my niece and nephew hostage, and we were growing tired of living in fear of another raid. A pack to the east, Cour des Miracles, had been a victim to AniWayan attacks as well. We finally came together with them for a combined assault to end things.” That was the short version of recent events. Most of the Dreamers were not fighters by a long shot. The Court wolves were hardier, and with their combined forces, they were able to finally make a difference.

He idly rubbed his sore side as he continued. “We all split up for our assault, and my group ended up in a skirmish just outside the AniWayan village. Played the hero to save a friend of mine from Cour des Miracles and wound up with this for my troubles,” he explained, motioning to his bandaged side. Stepping in to save Niro’s life had brought the AniWayan warrior’s wrath upon him, but if he had the chance to revisit that battle, he knew he would do it all again.

[/html]
[html]

This just kinda came out lol. If you have a problem with it, let me know and I'll change it Smile

Blind stared at the male luperci in awe. She couldn't believe that she was in the presence of a real warrior...a hero, even. She had never been much of a fighter herself, but she had always envied those who had enough strength to fight in battle...and win. However, though she was never much of a fighter, she was very smart. She knew that the saliva of a wolf had healing properties - it was why canines healed just fine after licking their wounds. Placing a paw on Ehno's leg, Blind asked, Would you like me to clean your wounds for you?

She realized - however only after she had asked - that this might have been a rather bold question. Trying to distract the attention away from her remark, Blind then said, I'm sorry that your family has had to experience such trials.

Lowering her nose to the ground, Blind could feel the heat rising in her ears. She often found herself stumbling over her words and speaking her mind more than she should, but ill intentions were not in her nature. She simply noticed the wolf was in pain, and she wanted to help. Medics, Blind believed, were some of the few beings that had talents close enough to God's, although she knew that no one could perform the miracles that The Great One could. She had always been fascinated with medicine, too, and the ways of healers often caught her attention.

<style type="text/css">
.blackblind b {font-weight:bold; color:#eeeba7; letter-spacing:1px;}
.blackblind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.blackblind p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blackblind {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#212327; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/14wq61j.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:45px; padding: 450px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9da7ba; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Haha, it's all good. Sorry that my post's a bit short.

Ehno hardly considered himself a warrior, much less a hero. He’d simply done everything that he could to protect those in his Crimson Dreams family. Fighting skills had never been something he had much of, so marching on AniWaya with the rest of the Court and Dreamer forces had been almost foolish of him. But the Italian was fiercely protective of his people, and he wouldn’t have been able to stand by on the sidelines and do nothing while everyone else fought. He had managed to do good, though. Niro had still wound up with a broken arm, but the man still had his life, and that was what mattered. Perhaps the Marino just needed to give himself more credit.

The girl’s bold offer was rather endearing, and it brought a small smile to his lips. “If… If you’d like. I’m probably due for a change in bandages anyway,” he admitted. He slowly began unwrapping the cloth that covered the wound on his arm. As he busied himself with that, she spoke up again, saying that she was sorry to hear that his family had had to face this. As was he. “Thank you. I’m just glad that all this is over now.” He finished pulling the bandage away from his arm. The angry cut on his arm was beginning its slow healing process. “It’s not very pleasant to look at,” he said, feeling somewhat embarrassed.

[/html]
[html]

No problem, makes it easier for me to respond to! Wink

Blind was relieved at the Italian's kind response, but she still couldn't help but hope he didn't think her to be weird. Deciding not to indulge these worries, she sat up fully and began to clean Ehno's arm with her velvety tongue. The bitterness of stale blood mingled with the sharpness of a drop or two of new blood as she washed the cut, and it made Blind's nose twitch. It had been a while since she had nursed any wounds at all, and she had forgotten how unappetizing the taste of this red, gooey substance was. However, it didn't lessen her desire to relieve this brave stranger's pain, and soon she pushed past the taste and focused more on the state of the wound.

The dark she-wolf listened closely to the male's words, smiling a bit at his apology. Though she didn't say it, she thought him sweet for thinking to apologize for something he didn't have much control over - it wasn't his fault his skin had torn when the knife had pierced it. She could tell that this wolf was a kind-hearted and considerate creature, and she felt it a blessing whenever she came into contact with such canines. After all, the war was evidence enough that there were terrible beings in the world.

Trying to direct the conversation toward happier subjects, Blind broke from her licking long enough to ask, So, what's an Italian doing in Canada?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Boop, bit of a delay due to hectic holiday time. o:

Blind quickly set to work on cleaning the cut on his arm. There was the brief sting as his wound was first disturbed, but the pain soon faded to the background. He was thankful for her kindness in offering to help him. It seemed the Dreamers had collected another compassionate soul into their ranks. It was easy to grow used to the feel of her tongue against his wound as she cleaned it almost rhythmically. Nature’s most basic remedy. It reminded him briefly of his place of birth, where wolves did not shift, instead choosing to live simplistic traditionalist lives.

Her question prompted a smile to tug at the corners of his mouth. He supposed he did seem a novel creature to those in the area unacquainted with the Marino family. Even in the greater scheme of things, the Marinos still made quite a sight here in Nova Scotia with their melodic language and accented words. “Fate saw fit to bring my family across the sea, one at a time,” he joked, though part of him believed it to be true. Ehno was a firm believer in Fate, as fickle as she was with their lives at times. His smile widened and he shook his head, moving on to a more serious answer. “I had a fondness for adventure when I was younger. Took to the sea, and on our way out to a port south of here, wound up stranded here. Lucky for me, my siblings were drawn to the sea as well, and I still have my family by my side.” It always amused the Marino to recall how he had arrived here, and the thoughts brought an easy warmth to his features.

[/html]
[html]

Totally understandable. I love reading your posts - you write beautifully!

The dark she-wolf's tail began to wag calmly as she cleaned the bitter wound. Then, deeming it finished, she leaned away and drank from the river to wash the taste and germs from her mouth. Finally, she turned her gaze back on the male, his tales tugging a smile across her lips. She often wished she had been able to see the world growing up, for even though she and her mother traveled, it wasn't as "adventurous" as she had hoped.

What is your family like? she asked, brimming with curiosity. She loved the fact that she was sitting next to someone who came from the lands she often dreamed of visiting, someone who had a story to their life and not just a childhood of existing. No, this creature had a personality, a background, a life...He wasn't bland, like her. He was exciting.

Inside she felt her heart drop, though she didn't show it on her face. Blind often scolded herself for being so pessimistic, but there were times where she just couldn't help it. She loved her birth mother dearly and couldn't help but be grateful for the way Rhia took care of her. However, she resented her too and the way it seemed her cowardice and begrudging attitude kept them from leading a normal life. But what was done was done, and there was nothing she could do about it now but look forward.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]