a pen, the weapon of poets.
[html]

dampwood.

Zana rode Saol quietly through the woods, plotting out a careful course so not to land the horse into the underground den of some rodent. She had strapped across her back the staff that she often used to gain access to greater heights. The woman was well viced in it's uses as well but had not had the chance to work out with it lately but a few dances upon the beaches of Inferni under the dark cast skies. She had thought it wise to bring it with her from hence forward since she had been lingering along the borders of other packs, scoping out the lands and learning a thing or two from their people. It seemed that her pintsize had it's uses after all.. if she could keep her wits and temper about her.

Her stallion was in jolly spirits as he pranced along, the mite of a woman riding steady upon his back as she looked about the lands. The horse was bringing her to a small meadow where he slowed to a crawl. She knew what the beast wanted and with a soft chuckle to herself she nimbly leaped from the beast's back and watched as he roamed the field riderless, looking for the last of the sweat clover in the wild grasses of the lands. With a swish of his tail he trotted further away, delighting in what he found there as Zana let him be.

The tiny Lykoi scratched at her neck slightly before sighing and pulling the staff from it's ties about her cloak. She figured there was no place better to practice her staff than here on smooth ground with the soft feel of clover beneath her paws. Slowly she began the twists and turns of one of the simple pattern dances that would warm her up before she moved onto something else.

<style>
.freebietable-a05 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Q2c4x.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 105px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}
.freebietable-a05 p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.freebietable-a05 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.freebietable-a05 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: Oct. 30th. I am assuming this takes place after her run int with Element for chronological sake. 844 Words

This journey had not been as fruitless as was initially thought. Sure she had not taken as many kills as she would have liked, none of which were larger than a healthy hare or wild pheasant, but she had the beginnings of a fortuitous relationship to help nurture. Words that she could now use, basic as they were, to build the bridge of communication from one being to another. Her ears were less burdened by incoherent screeching and rewarded with understandable, albeit broken speech.

Across her broad shoulders hung the kills she had claimed for herself; no more than a handful of small rabbits skinned and dried, and a couple plump birds for herself and her companion. Protectively, the quiet owl sat perched upon the carcasses occasionally hooting a quiet word. "Tired... tired." It rounded it head to the Optime's ears and nipped it gently for acknowledgement. The Nomad shrugged the meat higher on her shoulder, using her free hand to tip the beak of her companion affectionately. "But you have not done anything," she smiled, taking care the emphasize the latter portion of her words in an octave her nameless follower would understand. He simply ruffled his feathers and tucked his head within his plume, falling silent again.

Fortune had smiled upon the pair turning this brief wander from Ichikan borders. Beginning first as a tormenting experience, the pair gradually became used to each other, wary of each other's level of tolerance. And eventually words passed between them with positively circumstantial aid. But it was just the start of this bond, still in its seedling phase it needed patience and a will to have it thrive prosperously. It was an attempt the Nomad was willing to take if it meant solidifying an understanding with a creature like herself; a hunter...a warrior. A predator.

As her rhythmic heavy steps pulled her from the cramped woods into open air again, she sighed with content. The afternoon breeze was a blessing to her nostrils nearly suffocated by the stench of dense wood. Beneath her rough pads was soft greens, a welcome change to the sharp sticks and stones that burdened her pampered feet. There was a time when jagged stones wouldn't have hurt her as they did now. When there was only the unknown and the hard, relentless path she had learned to toughen her paws and think of the trial as a means to make her stronger. But now she wished in silence for the soft Valley grasses, to let her weary feet rest. And acknowledging she wished for this made her wary of her encroaching weakness and drove her pace slower... purposeful, so that her feet would be tough again.

But what a reprieve, this softer trail. And the expanse she witnessed was more welcoming than she could have hoped. On her nose was an equine scent, recognized by those kept in the Ichikan stalls, but it smelled not of her familiar home. Sensing its master's wary, the companion owl emerged from itself and spanned its wings to take flight dropping but a few feathers in its wake. It circled overhead, watching as the russet female strolled deeper into the field. But its gaze quickly darted from master to stranger, watching with predatory interest at the petite form armed with a long weapon. The owl dove in an instant, its piercing cry following its sharp descent catching the amber eyes of his master. "NO WAIT!" X'yrin shouted, spying the intended target of her companion. She hadn't even noticed the small wolf! Her nose so enthralled with the delectable scent of the horse she hadn't fathomed there to be a lupine nearby.

Roughly the owl caught itself, jerking skyward again in a graceful arch and resumed its protective hover. Attack without thought; a trait of her companion she would undoubtedly have to train out of him. X'yrin had announced herself now, unintentional as it was and would perhaps be on the receiving end of anything but hospitality. She had already braced herself for the lash of the stranger's tongue sure to come. Afterall, had she been in the other's position, she would have been less than understanding to the circumstance. X'yrin was careful to approach, still with her kills strung around her shoulder but with a hand raised in harmless gesture. "I am sorry," she called out, portraying her sincerity with lowered ears and subtle bowed head. "He is untrained and very protective. I am sorry if he startled you." She came closer, daring to lower her palm just a little on approach. "I am X'yrin, a Nomad of Ichika. My companion is nameless I'm afraid."

Gradually her look of apology became one of wonder as her eyes beheld what she believed not to be possible. The female stood upon two legs... but even so she was so...small. Was she foreign? ...Or ill? Her own towering figure was quite a comparison for sure, and for some reason the Nomad felt out of place as if her very presence was offensive somehow. How strange..

[/html]
[html]

The elegance of the dips and thrusts, lunges and swoops of her body and the staff grew faster and faster as the female began to tone out the sounds of the world around her as muscles began to loosen and stretch. Her toned form moved into a more difficult pattern as she practiced the cutting, slashing and thrusts as though the spear topped her weapon. She knew that the dull tip of a staff was nothing to another, but then again the weapon she held was more than what it seemed.

Long ago in her travels a man she'd grown to love in her own strange prickly ways had fashioned the staff with strange mechanics to draw blades to the tips of each end with a series of twists of the framework. Zana kept this knowledge to herself and hadn't once let anyone know of this secret in these lands. She would rather fight with the staff's secret lost on the world that brought into light. She needed as much of an advantage as she could get.

She was just completing a pattern dance as she heard the harsh cry across the field. The small woman hissed and dipped her frame low, spinning on one ankle as she twirled the staff above her head and lowered body. She caught the shadow of the beast before it moved off and she glanced up, realizing it to be an owl, but not relaxing until she watched it a moment and realized it wasn't coming back for a second round.

It was then that she turned her eyes to the one who had shouted out. The other approaching slowly as Zana gracefully rose from her crouched position to eye the woman with distrust. She had called out a warning but Zana realized also that had the bird been one of the larger predators of the sky there is a good chance she could have been in flight herself had the woman not spoken. The Inferni woman was quiet instead as she studied the manner of the woman, the attitude and general apologetic tone, not replying at first as Saol shambled closer to make sure that his tiny canine companion was still in one piece and unharmed.

Zana brushed his muzzle gently and murmured in lowspeech, soothing the beast before she pushed the big lug back to his foraging. She didn't think this one mean her harm, not right at this second but she was still slightly weary of the two. She glanced towards the nameless one as she learned who her two unlikely field mates were, her voice soft and barely winded as she spoke. "A name would be best for a terror of the sky..." She narrowed her eyes as she turned back to the woman. "I am Zana, though I don't know of these nomads you speak of.." She had been gone long from the lands and much had changed, this new patch of strangers this X'yrin reigned from being one change she was still ignorant to.

<style>
.freebietable-a05 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Q2c4x.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 105px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}
.freebietable-a05 p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: Oct. 30th. I am assuming this takes place after her run int with Element for chronological sake. 844 Words

Terror of the sky. A fitting name for her troublesome friend if ever there was one. In acknowledgement to the smaller female, the owl cry from its height, swooping down in swift descent to again claim his master's shoulder with protective talons. X'yrin acknowledged the extra weight to her shoulder with a casual shrug, inching both meat and bird higher up. She took no offence under the scrutinizing eye of the smaller female, and in fact welcomed it. To be wary was better than overly accepting by words alone. It was the trait of one well-traveled having witnessed both the light and darkness of their kind. Gradually, the Nomad allowed herself to smile.

"A pleasure, Zana," clutching her trophies of meat, she bowed to the other generously, nearly toppling the bird off her shoulder. "Truthfully, I hadn't thought of giving him a name. In my culture, names are awarded by the nameless themselves, for who are we to label? We may call the other a name they do not like and then it is cemented forever." Righting herself, she placed a gently claw beneath the owl's peak to let him nibble. She looked to her companion fondly, when at a time before she would have sneered and snarled at its annoyances. "I suppose I am reluctant to give up that part of my culture. Ah, but yes... the Nomads." Always was the warrior pleased to have an opportunity to speak of her family, distant and unseen as they were. "The Nomads are a traveling family," she began swiftly, bringing a vacant paw to her chest then extended it to gesture toward the faint horizon of the mountains. "There are several families that come and travel together, taking the steps of their ancestors in the Endless Walk. They are hard to come across..." she smiled. "Less there is one that strays from their shadow into the world on their own." Carefully, she brought her paw again to her chest, dipping her head in self-acknowledgement.

"Nearly two years I have been from their steps, but have found a home within Ichika. Still... I am a Nomad at heart. An Exultare; a warrior." She spoke her name with pride, chest swelling with her family name ringing sound in her ears though her voice was kept at its comfortable soft octave. Cursed with a curious eye, her gaze shifted from the petite form to the lengthy weapon in her possession. Her ears perked with interest, a child-like curiosity overtaking her just as it had upon her first meeting with her interesting archer; rather... Ichika's Shishen. She felt her digits twitch with the compulsion to touch though her composure dared not betray her. She settled for simply eyeing the impressive instrument, still at the mercy of this very small stranger and her tolerance. But damn her tongue for having a mind all its own.

"Are you a warrior, Lady Zana?"

[/html]
[html]

Zana watched the owl silently with her own set of predators eyes as the creature swooped down and landed upon this strange woman's shoulder."Then what does the hunter of the sky call itself..." She asked, slightly mocking. A slight shock of jealousy washed over her, knowing if the beast had attempted to land upon her shoulder she would either be flattened or be on her ass. She hardly ever voiced the unkindness's the world had granted her but from time to time they visited her thoughts. Now her mind was filled with a mess of them watching the woman shouldering the weight of her game and the beast itself. The tiny woman turned her eyes away a second before she showed the truth of her hidden emotions in the depths of her eyes.

Her ears pinned back slightly at the loopy mystical words that seemed to come from the other. A dreamer if she ever heard of one, the whole Nomad family she came from seemed to share the common mystical thread. How this one claimed to be a warrior and yet her ears seemed filled with so much cloud fluff Zana would never know. Instead of commenting on thus she huffed, "And what of this Ichika, what are they?" Zana was a sensible creature who liked her simple comforts and answers. Religion was something she had never needed to cling to, for in her eyes no creature worth praying to would have graced her with the body of an eternal child and let the soul grow old within. Therefore she would not believe in anything other than what had allowed her to get this far in the world, the grace of family and skill and wit on her own behalf.

She watched as the woman's eyes traveled to her staff, Zana's own fingers flexing lightly on the bamboo fibers as she hoped that this wasn't going to turn into a show of strengths because she didn't feel like being openly challenged on unclaimed lands without reason. Her ears perked forward again when the woman asked of her skill with the weapon. Zana relaxed slightly, realizing a yearning of sorts filling the others eyes, not a bloodlust. She let out a flutter of air as she tilted her head and twirled the staff with considerable skill between her hands. "I am not a warrior. I'm a survivalist." She said bluntly.

She knew she must have looked fair foolish twisting and turning a staff that looked like a child should be using. At her height though it would have been cut to size for a child, but it gave her the reach she needed, even if she still had to maneuver swiftly within the range of an others weapon. Her quick pace, swift feet and flexibility allowed her this, after many moons of practice at the paws of a good teacher who had known the world would be a terrible place for the small spitfire woman when she ventured out on her own. Here now she was, on her own with no teacher and it seemed the world had been waiting for her at every turn.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Oct. 30th.

"He hasn't a name," she reiterated with subtle emphasis. "Because he hasn't named himself. Or he has and I'm just not keen enough to hear him." She felt the devil bird nip at her ear as if agreeing. "We only just learned a few words to communicate, I'm afraid." Undoubtedly it would take time and constant practice, but she was more than certain they would be able to succeed. He appeared more than willing to chat with her even though her ears were not yet tuned to his frequency.

When asked about Ichika the Nomad was careful with her reply, knowing from experience the trouble too loose of lips tended to make not only for herself but others. And the last thing she intended was to bring harm to those that so graciously accepted her into their home. "Ichika no Ho-en is the family name. They are made of various individuals, two legs and four legged walkers alike. From what I gather, they have a religion they partake by choice, and are genuinely open to anyone." The woman smiled warmly, recounting her first encounter with the Jiryu and the offering she made. "It is better to experience it for oneself. I feel my words are not enough to describe."

Her gaze continued to linger on the staff, even as the grip of the other tightened around it. She did not address herself as a warrior, but one capable of surviving. Survivalist; an appropriate title for a loner traveler who looked relatively healthy and prosperous. It seemed against the odds that one of her size could have managed alone. It was fair to assume she must have been skilled despite what she titled herself. She looked from the staff to the petite female, then to the instrument again as if trying to discern how she managed to use it. "Why so long of a weapon?" she inquired. "Is there a special art form for it?"

[/html]
[html]

Zana's eyes stayed on the bird a moment as the woman explained that he had not graced her with a name yet. The small Lykoi flicked an ear back before she said matter of fact, "You don't listen hard enough. In time." She nodded, as though she knew these things. In a way she did, the small woman had spent much time with creatures who spoke low speech and she had found out in time that if you looked hard enough, listened long enough and believed that you would grow to understand how to communicate with any creature in the woods.

She had asked for an explanation of this pack she hadn't heard of yet but when the woman began to speak of religion and finding out for yourself Zana shook her head slightly. "No offense..but faith has always failed me.." She said. She did not want to find out for herself. It was kind of hard to explain to someone you didn't really know that you had no interest in finding out about the religious aspects of a pack. She didn't want to judge them but the words of this woman alone told her that she would never fit into the lifestyle of one of the packs in these lands at least.

Much to her relief X'yrin changed the topic over to the weapon Zana had been training with. She glanced at the staff, a bo of sorts, as she raised a brow. "Anything shorter and I'd be eaten before landing the first blow.." She said in a joking manner, though the words were true enough. She scratched at a spot on the back of her neck as she tried to explain in truth. "In a way, it's barely taller than me, but that's enough distance to keep others at bay. With a few well aimed shots they should realize I'm not as helpless as I may look." She rubbed the steel bands that enforced the staff with affection as she smiled, glad they could settle on something that wasn't too sore of a spot for the small woman to talk about.

"There is no special art to it, but there are patterns and dances that warm up the muscles and teach you blocks, blows and tricks of the trade. They help you to smoothly move from a defensive position to an attack without having to think as much." Zana had enough to think on in a fight without having to worry on her moves as much. The size, shape, strength, weight and agressiveness of another creature was enough to keep her hoping. Finding a weakness on a total stranger was hard enough when your own weakness shown like the sun.
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Oct. 30th.

The Nomad wasn't at all bothered by the girl's confession regarding faith as it was, to an extent, a shared sentiment. She did not believe in a single deity, nor sought to disprove anyone else's. More so the circumstances of fate and coincidence were her beliefs of choice. She rounded her shoulders in indifference, smiling politely as she continued to regard the petite female and her weapon.

She found humor in the girl's explanation, remarking in so many words that the instrument served to keep others at bay efficiently due to its size. "It's an extension of yourself," the warrior concluded, following the attachment of the female's hand to her weapon. The Nomad was not too fond of weapons herself, but it looked like this particular circumstance complimented the welder; in more ways than one. The obvious showing as clear as day.

Her curiosity was not withholding. A victim to opportunity, she knew better than let slip a possible demonstration of something new. Each encounter was brought on for a reason... what that reason was was what she made of it. And she intended to see through this demonstration of an unknown art. Carefully the woman shrugged off the meat and let it rest at her feet temporarily. "I am curious," she confessed. "I have seen few that utilize weapons at all and would be interested in seeing yours in action." She raised a paw in offer, the pad subtle upturned as she again looked from female to staff. "Would you be willing to demonstrate Zana? I think this could be very enlightening."

[/html]
[html]
Zana was actually glad that the conversation on religion and faith had seemed to vanish just as swiftly as it had begun. The small woman had a hard enough time dealing with physical problems without having to dive into spiritual and mental ones as well. She gave a slight wavered smile to the other as she shrugged off the comments Zana had offered on religion and left it alone. She knew better than to dig her own grave and it seemed this woman was well enough along without furthering it along as well.

When she explained in just a few words what Zana had exhausted herself in fishing for earlier Zana grinned and winked. "You have no idea.." She said. It was not easy being her size and long distance weapons were the best for the tiny woman. She doubted she would have lived so long if a weapon hadn't been put in her hand at one point or another. Fingers caressed the bo gently as she realized that at times her weapons were indeed just another extension of her body, one that put her nearly on equal grounds with the creatures of the world that towered above her.

She was quiet and reserved as the taller woman spoke again, the curiosity she spoke of plain to the tiny Lykoi, but Zana was unsure of how the woman expected her to demonstrate. Had she not said she wasn't versed in the ways of the staff, or was this some farce, to coax her into battle and leave her wounded. Zana didn't think so but she asked cautiously. "And how would you like me to demonstrate?" She supposed it wouldn't be hard to teach her a few simple moves, or even show her a few pattern dances but she had to get an idea for what the woman wanted to actually learn from her first.[/html]
[html]

ooc:

The boundaries of appropriate behavior were pushed. The woman's eyes continued to survey the instrument as she let her suggestion hang in the air between them, anticipating either rejection or acceptance. She could handle either though hoped that the smaller girl would understand.

X'yrin explained; "The culture of the Nomads invites a demonstration of skill and technique through spar, nothing more than a friendly show, mind you. I hardly see any use weapons less it is for tasks and, with your permission, would like to see how your weapon is used." She dipped her head politely, leaving the decision up to her new companion here. Her request was obscenely forward, but she rationalized the suggestion in her mind by claiming it was for a show of the weapon use only. This was not some plow to get her taste of a fight.

That would have been utterly selfish of her... though pleasing. The woman stood with a calm smile and waited.

[/html]
[html]
Zana was not a trusting soul by nature. Her life came with many dangers, few she could control, and what she could control she did so with a vengeance. Her small frame stood at attention with the staff between the stranger and herself as she smiled slightly as X'yrin explained. She wasn't sure what she thought of the idea but she was game as long as she came out walking.

She ran a finger down the length of the wood as she asked mildly. "And what would you be using?" She wanted to know as she figured that there was no harm as long as there was no foul. She had other weapons that this creature didn't know about, if things turned south, not that she believed that they would, but if they did, she would be ready.[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Upon her face was a smile of relief, glad that the girl hadn't take her suggestion as ill will. This would be an interesting test of her abilities as well as a chance to see another's use of a weapon. In preparation she stepped a little ways from her meat, putting some distance between herself and the guarded girl.

X'yrin felt the rush of churned air at her back, a quiet 'hoot' in her ears as her companion swept down toward their catch and settled on top of the pile. His malting body still dropped feathers one of which the Nomad snatched from the air between her claws. She again looked to Zana, twirling the feather excitedly betwixt her pads. "I have no weapon," she answered honestly, slipping the feather carefully into her mane. "That is my preference."

The warrior lowered her body into a crouch, one leg poised back for balance while the other slide forward to handle the dispersal of weight. Her Optime legs did not shake this time, having been trained and reacquainted with their use. She offered her paw, palm upward and relaxed. "Please come when you are ready."

[/html]
Zana watched with admiration at the speed of the woman as she quickly snatched the feather from thin air. She herself had been blessed with speed and agility, but her size often foundered her still. She smiled as the woman gathered herself ready for the sparring event, informing the young woman that she would fight with tooth and claw. Zana envied her slightly. If she could, she would fight in the same manner, but she knew she was basically already in the enemy's teeth by the time she could blood her own. That was not the best position for someone of her size to fight from, so she drew on what she could and Ezekiel was right, distance weapons were her best line of defense.

She had nodded to the woman when she'd shown that she was ready. Zana knew there was no real reason to continue sitting there studying her form because any maneuvers she made would be in the heat of the match and that was when a quick wit and fast paw were going to come in handy. She advanced cautiously towards the woman, ignoring the sound of the horses and the owl in the distance as she realized that the couldn't have picked a better location. The grass was soft under pad and the ground itself firm and even. There would be little chance for foul ups on this terrain.

The smaller woman quickly broke from her steady approach and stepped into the dance patterns, her feet in the correct position as she swung the bo up into a butterfly arch, twisting over her hip and ribs as the staff was set to aim across the collarbone or shoulders. She was testing the other woman, to see if this game of play would last long.
[html]

ooc:

It was clear that the challenge in this bout would be the smaller woman’s weapon. It would not be enough to subdue her, but also keep herself out of mortal wounding range. It would not be impossible, only difficult given that this weapon was an extension of the smaller female. More than likely, the Exultare would have to base her movements solely on the other’s actions and react efficiently til an opening was made.

The woman’s advance was steady, encouraging that the Nomad keep her ground, feet firm splayed and planted in the soft ground. Then came the advance; a swift arch of the staff conducted in stunning fluidity she was nearly captured in the awe of the movement. Instinctually, she raised her hand to impact with the end of the staff rather than her collar and still crouched low, spun inward on the balls of her feet, outstretching a leg to catch the staff wielder in the calf.

But the staff proved its intended use, keeping the woman just out of reach from making her intended mark. The Nomad hadn’t even noticed the smarting of her hand from the impact til she attempted to use it as a support to brace herself on the ground.

Defense; Attempted to block the blow with open hand

Attack; Spun inward while crouched low to sweep the leg.

[/html]
The tiny woman's sharp eyes watched the woman as she reacted to her attack. She was quick, the Lykoi lady was impressed but she didn't let that distract her as the movement from her hip and leg showed where her next move was aimed. Zana was strained to avoid the connection with her small frame but a swift back flip and roll brought her out of the strsngers reach as she grinned with amusement.

Her eyes flicked back to her opponent for a second before she rolled back to her feet and used the staff as a base to twist around, bring her small frame swinging forth. She had one leg tucked under her frame and the other spread out in attempted impact of her sparring partners shoulder. She knew it was risky but her flexibility was good enough that even if she was hit or blocked she would be able to take the blow.
[html]

ooc: Shortest post I've ever written T_T .

Her ability to defend was certainly put to the test against the agile female. Where power might not have been her forte, she certainly had speed and dexterity in her favor; an aspect the warrior had to be mindful of.

Yet there was little time to think, only react. Her wild eyes were firmly centered on the agile form, keeping her just within distance to observe the whole of her skillful movements. As her limb swung to catch her shoulder again, the Nomad’s hand shot out again with an open palm to catch the assaulting limb at the ankle to knock it away.

[/html]