Developing a new character's history: critique?
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone could give me some critique on a character I'm developing: Rikaine.

I'm trying to work with an idea I got from reading Isaac Asimov's The Naked Sun, mostly about the culture and society of the planet Solaria:
Quote:In The Naked Sun, Elijah Bailey, is sent to the planet Solaria to investigate a murder. Solaria’s inhabitants live on vast estates alone or with their spouses. They communicate with one another via holographic telepresence. They call this “viewing” versus “seeing.” “Seeing” is when they are in one another’s physical presence. They have a natural aversion to “seeing” and consider it a social taboo. This has additional relevance to our own society, or should I say to our social media networked world. Socially, we have moved closer to the virtual aspects of a world like Solaria than the world of 1956 when the novel was first published in Astounding Stories ("Review of the Naked Sun by Isaac Asmiov").
I am trying to reconcile this desire for space and distance with canine instincts. My basic premise is that since they are luperci, they can combat a few of their desires, but ultimately, it fails. Moreover, Rikaine fails to fit in with his home pack because he allows himself to enjoy things that are seen as degrading or disgusting, such as sex.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make this more plausible? I do like the idea of combating one's urges for the sake of a social construct, but I'm not sure if this could translate too well for canines. Given that they are much more instinct-driven than humans, I'm definitely willing to make more allowances than in the novel.

Does anyone have any ideas? Big Grin

I also need a better surname for Rikaine. I like the "Rikaine [prep] [noun]" style, so Rikaine del Cei, Rikaine ci Dei, etc, are all ideas I want to work toward. I don't want to use the name verbatim though. >_>
Well I don't know, it sounds like a good idea. But what if the pack had an aversion to unnecessary sex? Like it was enough for copulation but that was where that tolerance ended? I'm sure that's actually what you mean, but I figure I'd put my own clarification down as my two cents xD

From what i read (scanned) it sounds realistic enough, considering the progression of ideology on 'Souls thus far :o And I clearly suggested something you already thought of :|

lol.. I like it so far! I don't know what else to suggest. But how do you figure the soldiers were play into the whole system? And in relation to your character? And what made him leave? :o
Ooh yeah! That was what I was thinking too. C: They had a strong aversion to sex for pleasure, so it'd be only when females were in heat. I was even thinking of them being segregated to avoid unnecessary sex. X__X

Edit: I misread your message a bit, SO here is a better reply. XD

Quote:But how do you figure the soldiers were play into the whole system?
My idea was brainwashing and forced servitude. Anyone who didn't comply would be killed to send a message to the others, but my thoughts are that they would take puppies from abroad and bring them to the soldiers. I'm still a little hazy on the idea here, but I was thinking of something along the lines of the system in Sparta with the helots. I was thinking of maybe making a two-tiered class of soldiers: the better ones who oversee the underlings, and the underlings who do the work. :> They could also use drugs to keep the underlings in line. Hmm, the more I think about it, the more complex this becomes. XD

It was easier in the books since they just had robots. >_>

Quote: And in relation to your character? And what made him leave? :o
In the end, he left because he was no longer welcome there: no one believed that he was Rikaine and even though he was alive, no one wanted him to be alive. He was consistently chased out of the new pack territory and attacked. Eventually, he loses hope and leaves because even his former mate rejects him. She has two puppies with her new mate and if he returns, she would likely have to kick up a fuss to keep her second mate.

In Le colonel chabert, Chabert left behind a fortune to his wife. His wife also used to be a prostitute, hmm.
Bump.
I had a character back in the day who came from a religious cult pack. He got kicked out because they found out he had puppies (they were supposed to remain celibate except for the leader & his mate). Totally random, but I thought that might help inspire something. ;O
Really it is quite plausible already, isn't it?

In natural wolf packs only the alpha pair reproduce, so luperci likely wouldn't lack in instinctual control over their sexual desires. We obviously do not follow that social standard here at souls. So I think it could easily be seen as a traditional way of life that only the higher hierarchy reproduce or even engage in intercourse. So it wouldn't be outlandish to theorize that a radically traditional culture come to find all physical contact 'taboo' for the impure desires they might stir, or something of that nature?