how does your garden grow?
[html]
start an AW thread 10+ |500+|

A bitter frost carpeted the ground as Odessa mounted the pied gelding. Her scarf was wrapped tightly around her neck, covering her mark wholy. She had bathed in the ocean and rescented herself with the meadowsweet she had taken from the garden a few days prior. That morning she had donned a thick pelt, a dull tawny deer pelt, littered with small white pock marks. The hood was deep, secured tightly around her face so that it didn't fall away as the horse bolted forward. Odessa sat on the end of the cloak, as Keshi's riding rug had been knocked from where it sat and now needed a wash, she would do that this afternoon once she'd finished her garden work.

Odessa had been riding for an hour or so when she reached the place she first found the patch of earth where the Valerian grew. It had been next to a small grouping of old houses. Odessa had been careful to assure that nobody laid claim to the patch, but even before she checked the houses she was sure it was safe to take a few plants seeing as it was majorly untamed. The mottled girl dismounted, letting Keshi have free rein around where she knelt, knowing that he wouldn't bother to move far away. Using her thin fingers she pulled the plants up from the ground one by one and gently placed then in a few plastic pots, in turn placing them in the saddleless saddle bags. Mounting her steed again she returned home.

More or less two hours later, Odessa found herself approaching the garden. She had dismounted Keshi a few moments ago, and now lead him with the thick rope head collar she had been gifted with alongside him at his purchase. She tied him up at a tree stump not far away, not wanting to risk him ingesting any of the plants. The mottled medic laid a few handfulls of bluejoint at his feet, before retriving the bags and moving towards a spare patch of land.

The girl set to work, using a dainty hand to trowel up the soil, placing each of the three plants in the hole, spacing them out. It didn't take her long to finished recovering them, and so after fetching a bottle of water, she watered them. Odessa stepped back, dusting her hands down. She almost considered taking a drink from the bottle, as there was a mouthfull or two left, but she decided against it as it had been in the bag for some time. She took a small dried sliver of meat and ate it, something she prepare before she left.

Pleased with her work, Odessa retrieved her books and pencil from her bag. She sat down on a patch of grass, gazing up at the sky as it finally began to lighten up and sunbeams shined down half heartedly. Odessa glanced around, and seeing no one, she began to jot down the species of plant she noted in the garden, looking them up in the two other information books before adding in potential uses and ways to prepare them.

<style type="text/css">
.odessya b {font-weight:bold; color:#c1bf36; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #3b5362; }
.odessaovergrown p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.odessaovergrown {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#375b13; background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... 76e1a9.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 250px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#ffffff; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.odessaovergrown p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.odessaovergrown p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
She's in her lupus form and Abendrot is with her.

Things had changed rapidly over the past several months. Most involved her newest pet, the now nearly full-grown lynx. She was pleased by his progress. By winter he would be a most terrible hunter, and her mother’s own pet would be no competition when it came to hunting. Abendrot was built for this cold weather, as was his owner. Salvia too, was made for this weather—her father had gifted her with a pelt made for such a thing. Likewise, she had begun to gain weight; this was not because of overeating, but she was nearing her birthday and finally filling out with well-trained and well-exercised muscles.

The cat followed behind her, pleased by the decision to hunt. Salvia’s intention was to take advantage of whatever small beasts would feed on their garden. While a full-grown lynx could be an adequate hunting partner when it came to larger prey, he was still a kitten and still one who needed practice.

They arrived to find that they were not alone. A horse and Salvia’s cousin were nearby. Though she valued privacy as much as the next Salsolian, there was a need to show proper etiquette—even between family. It was, also, an excuse to flaunt dominance (which she quite enjoyed). “Hello Odessa,” the girl called, advancing.

<style type="text/css">
.saltext b {font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px; }
.saltext .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-face:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.saltext p {text-indent:25px; padding:1px 1px; margin:0px;}
.saltext {margin:0px auto; width:75%; background-color:none; background-image:url(); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.saltext .separator{width:0px; border-bottom:1px dotted; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}

</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here.

Word Count → 000

Odessa had been far from attentive when approached by her cousin. Halloween eyes lifted in a daze as her name came floating down from Salvia's maw. 'Salvia' she said, lowering her ears and then her eyes, before letting them rise slowly. After all, despite family bonds, Sal was higher in rank than her. And her muscled form was intimidating when compared alongside Odessa's femnine and gentle body. 'How are you?' she quiried softly, setting her book down beside her and rising to her feet. The mottled girl glanced down to the wild cat beside Salvia, a lynx of some kind she presumed, though her knowledge on animals beyond the old saying, 'If it looks like a horse, its a horse', was painfully limited.

'I don't think we've had the pleasure of meeting...' she noted, partly addressing the feline, though the bulk of the statement was to provoke Salvia into divulging more information on the animal. Although lowly in rank, she still yerned to know about the goings on in her home pack. The mottled girl brushed a soft curl away from her eyeline as she spoke with the green eyed tiger before her.

<style type="text/css">
.razeodessa b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; text-shadow:#99695c 1px 1px 1px;}
.razeodessa p {padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.razeodessa {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#da8e80; background-image:url(http://i42.tinypic.com/2vbk9ec.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; border-radius:10px; padding: 360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#986359; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.6px; text-align:justify;}
.razeodessa .wordcount {color:#986359; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #ffffff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.razeodessa .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

While there was a viciousness that lingered in her, Salvia enjoyed her quiet cousin’s company. Odessa had never argued with her about doing whatever it was Salvia wanted to do, and this pleased the blonde. Still, she had noticed that Odessa had begun coming out of her shell. Like Pandemic, this too pleased her. It would do no good if their family (and this was a broad term, used for both the D’Angelo line and Salsola) allowed for mediocrity.

The green-eyed girl raised her head proudly at the mention of the cat, though he looked at her flatly. Salvia had begun teaching him high speech, but the cat had made it clear he had no interest in speaking to much of anyone besides her. Thus, she did not expect him to answer. “Abendrot,” the language rolled from her tongue cleanly, inherited from the same dialect that Odessa’s own mother spoke. “Pandemic brought him from Freetown for me. I haven’t met your horse either,” she added quickly, not wishing to focus on her brother. “My father said you had acquired one, but I always seem to miss you two at the stables…” A question went unspoken, wondering just where her cousin did spend all her time. “And I’m fine,” she added absent-mindedly. “We were going hunting. What are you up to?”

<style type="text/css">
.saltext .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-face:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.saltext {margin:0px auto; width:75%; background-color:none; background-image:url(); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.saltext .separator{width:0px; border-bottom:1px dotted; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}

</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here.

Word Count → 000

'An impressive beast' Odessa praised, watching him with a somewhat cautious gaze, 'A fine hunter I assumed too?' Most feline's were, but Odessa suspected that, like her Aunt's Itzcitla, that Abendrot posessed an ultimate arsenal against prey. And when coupled with Salvia's visciousness, she presumed that few things would stand against them. Odessa thought of purchasing her own pet many times, though, always a girl to choose practicality over asthetics, she opted not too. But as her private quaters were finished and regular scouring of the nearby cities had given her a large supply of items avalible for trading, finding a small pet was permitted.

The mottled medic glanced lazily back at Keshi, who was still grazing away, paying little attention to the scene. 'Oh. Yes. That's Keshi' she introduced softly, 'I think Uncle thinks of his as ugly. Perhaps he's right, but he's docile and never put's up a fight' Odessa turned back around to Salvia, 'He's got a strong back too, he could probably be trained to put a cart if we had one'. She frowned, perhaps one would be constructed or bought. Her cousin spoke again, causing her to lower her head, 'Sorry, I'm usually in the garden. I'm trying to write down all of the plants and their medicinal effects. I'm attempting to gain the Curandera co-rank'. It was extremely useful to know what ingredients did what and where you could get them from. Otherwise she was out of the pack lands, procuring more herbs and plants to use for healing.

'I'm just planting something I found outside the packlands, some Valerian plants' she explained, smiling lightly at her older cousin.

<style type="text/css">
.razeodessa b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; text-shadow:#99695c 1px 1px 1px;}
.razeodessa {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#da8e80; background-image:url(http://i42.tinypic.com/2vbk9ec.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; border-radius:10px; padding: 360px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#986359; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.6px; text-align:justify;}
.razeodessa .wordcount {color:#986359; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #ffffff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

The only response to her cousin’s inquiry was a pleased secretive smile. She had learned her own techniques from cats, and thus knew their skills better than any. Even her mother knew less than Salvia, though the girl did not dare say this aloud. Raising a cat was one thing; knowing the way they thought and behaved was another. Unlike so many predators, there was an intelligence that rivaled her own—and certainly, one that could be trained to couple with a wolf.

Ugly was a term that Salvia herself might have used. The horse was long in all the ways that common animals were, but his coat was well cared for and she appreciated this as a sign of his worth. Besides, it wasn’t like Keshi was supposed to be used for breeding—even her own beautiful horse did not fit the standards of the breed Larkspur had in mind, a fact she had resigned herself to.

“Temper is always a factor in a good horse,” Salvia said, still watching the gelding. “My father says larger horses tend to be calmer. You should ask Sirius or my mother about acquiring a cart; it’s a good idea.” Especially, she reasoned, if they truly began trading more. Or even for construction, as Horse had been used in the past. Her head (and focus) returned to her cousin as the girl went on, speaking about wishing to be a healer. Salvia smirked. “I don’t know much about plants, I’m afraid. Never really thought about them much as far as their healing uses…that’s all Tlanti’s area,” she explained, shrugging.

<style type="text/css">
.saltext {margin:0px auto; width:85%; background-color:none; background-image:url(); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}

</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here.

Word Count → 000

Odessa nodded gently, half agreeing with her cousin and then again disagreeing. 'I agree, but while I don't doubt Larkspur, but he has the strength and knowledge to deal with a lively stallion' she sighed, frowning softly, 'I don't. She shook her head, 'Keshi is no challenge for me, perhaps one day I'll get another horse, when I am better at riding'. She was far from a skilled rider, the idea of going faster than a trot paraslysed her with fear and she couldn't even comprehend why someone would want to jump. Keshi was predictable, dependable, a perfect match for Odessa, who's only intrest was to get from A to B safely.

'Mhhh' she hummed in agreement, 'I bring it up next time I see one of them' Most likely Eris, since Sirius struck a level dose of fear and respect in her. 'It would make construction easier, and trading larger items' When she had constructed her own house it took her multiple trips to collect all the wood, stone and later on, the furniture. Odessa had been forced to create a sloppy, sled type bundle of wood to mount the furniture on. It had done the job, but with much hassle.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Riding had always interested Salvia, which explained why she was so capable in such a thing. Odessa had ridden with her before, using the communal horses, and while she had not fallen it had certainly shown her amateur behavior around them. Of course, she was younger than Salvia and had not been given the advantage of such an upbringing early on. Now, though, she boasted considerable skill gained since joining Salsola. Salvia suspected soon enough she would be admitted as Family, especially given her blood-ties to the leadership.

She nodded at the idea of gaining another horse, but said nothing either way. Horses were valuable in their own way, but she did not value them as highly as one might expect. Like her father, Salvia’s concept and vision was one decidedly unromantic. The cat was an exception, though she considered him her lesser. He was a pet, and certainly one that she alone controlled. While he was almost docile around others, she had been clear when it came to commands that no one else issue them. He had been raised to respond to German alone, though he understood the common tongue well enough.

“Well perhaps by the time Nacht is grown you’ll be able to ride with me,” she said, smiling. Salvia enjoyed wild runs, though Trader hardly had the speed she desired. Hopefully her colt would one day be what she desired. “Anyhow, we’ll be off. You should come visit Pandemic and I sometime, now that we’ve gotten everything settled.”

<style type="text/css">
.saltext {margin:0px auto; width:85%; background-color:none; background-image:url(); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}

</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here.

Word Count → 000

'Yes...' Odessa agree, absently gazing towards the lanky frame of her gelding, 'We should, I'd like that very much'. She closed up her books, slipping them into her satchel she rose from the ground. She had heard that her cousins had chosen to make their home together, she found nothing wrong with it, but faint frown was simply for the wish that she had a sibling to do the same with. Her own den was frightfully bare when it came to life, only herself and Keshi remained there as continuous residents. Perhaps when she earned herself a family rank and gained a slave her home would be more lively. And maybe she'd find herself a feline too.

'I like to visit you some time, perhaps when my own home is finished'. Odessa was still trying to sort out a few last bits, filling in the holes in the roofing and walls. And whats more her underground sleeping quaters still needed tidying up and expanding that last little bit. 'Have a pleasent day' Odessa offered simply, smiling to her cousin.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]