Haunted House
[html]
OOC Nov 19

Once more Terra had found herself wandering north, looking for excitement. She'd heard that there was something unnatural in the woods she found herself in, so spent the morning exploring it. Terra had managed to find a dead deer, and feasted on the corpse. Many would probably think it was low of her to do so, but it was simply her way of life. She couldn't hunt, so food was something to be taken at any opportunity.

With the sun rising higher and higher Terra found herself growing frustrated. She'd really been looking forwards to finding out what the unnatural thing was, but she hadn't even found any signs that there was anyone other than her there. Terra grumbled about how useless traveling gypsies were, and sat down panting. She'd traveled pretty fast in order to arrive with plenty of time to search, leaving her partly drained. Bored Terra decided to shift into her optime form. She'd climbed a tree once, and the view had been rather interesting.

The tingling spread over her body as she felt her fur thicken and spread. Bones stretched and rotated as her paws changed into the more flexible hands. Pleased Terra looked once to make sure her fur wasn't ruffled, and set out to climb the tree. Maybe from there she'd see what she was looking for.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.terrra p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.terrra p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: 266 words

So much for the hunt. How the woman expected to cover so much distance without tiring was beyond her. Her endurance was unwavering, but there was only so much ground she could cover with her nose pinned to it before her body became used to the position and the scent of the ground and it all became a singular blur. She needed to step away from it for a time, even if just to glare her nostrils and mind.

From Secui to optime she shifted seamlessly, her towering form again standing gracefully upon practiced limbs. Her mane was kept as it was, seeing no need to groom the unruly mess since she was just on a little break. Even if she did wasting the time combing it back, it certainly wouldn't have lasted long before the tendrils slipped in front of her face again. She lifted her arm in beckon knowing her ever watchful companion would see. He hooted softly in the distance, his role as scout coming to an end, then swiftly descended to perch on the woman's arm, shuffling to her shoulder were he roosted.

The pair had come into strange territory but the notion was not at all unpleasant. It was another chance to explore, to further their knowledge of the lands they called home. X'yrin was excited for this wander, as the wild often made her. She carried on at a leisurely stroll, a little disappointment in herself for not having found prey by now, but as optimistic that this break was all she needed to rejuvenate her hunting spirit.

[/html]
[html]
OOC

Swinging her legs Terra surveyed the forest around her. She didn't see anything unusual stick out, unless you counted an owl flying around during the day. Realizing what she'd just seen Terra leaped out of the tree, racing towards where she'd seen the owl come down. Terra burst into the clearing at full speed, coming face to face with a wolf. The owl tamely sat on her arm, as if everything was exactly as expected.

Are you the source of the rumor? How did you get the owl to do that? Why is it still awake? Admittedly letting all those questions come out like that made Terra seem like nothing but an ignorant child, but seeing something unusual pushed all of her manners away. Her curiosity came to the forefront, driving her to explore every inch of the unusual pair. Nostrils flared she drank in the scents, circling them.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: 379 Words

The pair carried on contently, talking to each other in whispered words as they attempted to better understand the other. It was moments like these that proved to be the most beneficial for them, when there was amble time to practice without chores bearing down on them... or at least the Nomad.

"Come, my friend," she encouraged the bird gently. "Have you remembered your name? Or could you speak it to me?" The owl simply ruffled his feathers, slipping further into his downy chest. His gleaming stare had softened to a bashful glow, and dare the woman say, there was reluctance in his eyes. She growled softly, coddling the bird with her vocal affections. "Come now. I know you have a name." Again the creature hooted then dipped even further into himself, threatening to become a single ball of fluff and feathers. "I would like to call you something other than 'nameless', but it goes against my culture to give you a name." It was an annoying hurdle really, one that could have just as easily been vaulted over had the weight of tradition not been so heavy. Though she was more than a little reluctant to shed it off her back. Her companion said nothing more, merely kept himself delved within his down and rode along with his companion in eerie silence. Eventually X'yrin gave up on her attempts and walked along, enjoying the scenery before it was abruptly invaded.

Both owl and wolf shared an alarmed stare as the colorful wolf appeared seemingly from the trees. Both were too stunned to react in violence, especially with question after question pelted at them with no room to answer. "Oh my," was all the startled woman could breathe out in the midst of the younger female's questions. Her ears danced awkwardly, playing and replaying the hastily spoken words before settling on one to start with. "Have you seen a bird like this?" she parried with a question of her own. "I did not know there was a time for him to sleep. He sleeps when I do and rides my back when there is nothing to hunt." Gradually, her brows furrowed. "And what of this rumor? Perhaps I haven't been within the woods long enough to have heard it?"

[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra shrugged her shoulders in reply. It's an owl. They're usually nocturnal. How ever did you get one?Terra's curiosity burned sharply at the sight, not having the slightest clue about how they could even get along. Granted, owls didn't readily fall into the category of food, but that was because a coyote's life and an owl's rarely intersect. The recognition of the night predator as food simply wasn't there, despite them being smaller than a coyote.

She had no idea that the stranger was a warrior, and probably would have reacted the same either way, her swift speed allowing her to escape such encounters with ease. As for the rumor, I heard that there was something unnatural in these woods, something that scared others away. Since I've never seen a bird and a wolf get along, let alone an owl awake during the day, I thought you might be the source. If Terra had been a bit older she would have realized that her recognition of the species was unusual, something that she'd picked up during her travels. As it was she passed it off as common knowledge, nothing to get excited about.

Terra scuffed her foot into the ground, looking the wolf in the eyes. I came here looking for the source. I haven't found anything weird yet though. Disappointment showed at the end. Even if it was not dangerous Terra had been looking forwards to seeing something so unusual.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc:

She hadn't known her companion to be nocturnal, seeing as he was relatively active when she was. So hearing this came a shock to the woman. She had always assumed her bird was an odd one... "I didn't get him, really," she replied. "He just found and harassed me til I acknowledged him." The Eagle Owl hooted in agreement, spanning his wings in a proud, showy display.

The woman's attention was not on the bird and his flashing wings, but on the smaller girl as she explained this rumor. X'yrin could see how she and her companion could have been mistaken as this scaring thing, seeing as how a bird perched comfortably on the back of a wolf was an odd sight to behold. But what perplexed her was that this young female was actually looking for the source of this rumor and seemed utterly disappointed there was nothing yet to be found. An adventure seeker, perhaps?

"But why would you be looking for it?" she inquired, tilting her head to one side. "Does something happen once it's found?"

[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra shrugged, her eyes transfixed by the bird's show. Trouble of course. I don't know what kind, but I'm sure it'll be interesting. Besides, the rumor said it was frightening, not deadly. That means I have even less to worry about. Her interest began to wane as she remembered the even more fascinating rumor that had driven her to go so far. Looking at the stranger she realized that the warrior would make a valuable companion on this trip.

Would you like to come with me? I'm sure it'll be fun, and we won't be in danger. Terra really hoped she'd accept. Going by herself would be fun, but two people would make it even more interesting. Not only would she be able to enjoy her own reactions and the environment around her but she'd be able to see another's reactions and perceptions as well, helping her understand the strange phenomenon.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc:

In search for trouble? Well that was something the woman hadn’t heard in a while. Much like the Exultare youth to ‘want’ to put themselves in dangerous situations for a thrill, no doubt. The Nomad hadn’t taken to that thrill streak, and it was unlikely that would truly understand its appeal. But here before her was an opportunity to at least try and grasp its allure. After all, hadn’t she intended to take a break before returning to the grind of the hunt?

X’yrin appeared to be in thought for a moment, muzzle upturned as if in heavy contemplation before a sharp nip to her ear jarred her from her farce. She cast a glare to her companion owl then returned a softened gaze to the girl. “If you don’t mind the company, we could go with you for a little while.” She took a step forward then paused, remembering that neither knew what they were looking for. “How would we find this strange thing, though? We just look, correct?”

[/html]
[html]
OOC

A grin spread across Terra's face at X'yrin's reply. Her tail wagged with excitement. It would be much easier to find the strange source with help! She was left to come up with a plan for finding the strange thing though. Terra retreated into her mind, considering the solution. When she saw something unnatural her hackles stood up. It was a strange mix of a drive to dominate everything and curiosity that allowed her to approach things she feared. Granted it took time. She couldn't just rush towards the unknown. Those that did tended to die, and Terra didn't want her name on the list.

If all it took to find something unusual was to activate the hackles, they could spend days wandering. The owl, though, could fly through the forest easily. Why don't you send Diurnae to fly over the forest? It can report to us what it finds. The owl would probably have the same fear reaction to the unnatural as Terra would have. If it came across it, they'd be able to tell. Then all they'd need to do is follow the owl back. Terra's tail wagged in pleasure at her plan.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc: 246 words. .

The Nomad truly had no idea what the young girl had hoped to find, but for the sake of adventure, she would accommodate her. Rounding her shoulders, she gesture to her companion to awaken from his stupor and take flight. The request was fulfilled reluctantly, and eventually his glorious wings spanned wide and carried his large body into the trees. The earthbound creatures below would simply have to wait for his discovery.

The eagle owl navigated carefully through the thick canopy, weaving in and out of gnarly branches, gleaming eyes searching the land below for anything strange. Like his master, he did not know what he sought, simply that his eyes were needed in place of the inferior wolves. As he delved deeper, the woods began to darken though faint rivulets of light continued to trickle through. It was not odd, but suspenseful, keeping the owl on edge as he hooted quietly to ease himself.

His eyes turned to the ground once more. Within his sights was a small, crippled house nestled within a small clearing obviously abandoned by its state of decay. Perhaps this was what they were looking for? The owl shrieked with success then rounded back to his awaiting master. He returned to her back in a swift dive, screeching of a house and directions to follow. “I believe he has found something that would interest you.” She gesture with a tip of her muzzle to the east. “Shall we have a look?”

[/html]
[html]
OOC Forgot to mention in last post. What she called the owl is Terra's idea of a joke. It's the opposite of nocturnal

X'yrin's words sent Terra's tail into a frenzy. Perhaps they had finally found it! Terra nodded agreement at her words, and set off to the east. The direction that was pointed out was difficult to navigate in optime. Normally she'd be clinging to the undergrowth, slipping through like a shadow. On two legs it tripped up her feet, making it difficult to move. Low hanging branches had to be ducked. They came across a faded trail of sorts soon enough though. She breathed a sigh of relief at the sight. Terra didn't like feeling so clumsy.

On the path Terra moved quicker, her legs devouring the distance. It felt odd to have such long strides, yet they were still shorter than her companion's. She looked ahead, spotting the clearing. The squat house was nothing to be afraid of. She felt a little disappointed, though it would still be fun to explore. As she got closer though, chills ran over her body. There was something there. Terra froze to the spot, looking for what had triggered it. Nothing visible was there. The fear pressed down on her, yet she managed to squeeze out a grin. This is it. Bravely Terra forced herself to step forward, ignoring the screams of her instincts.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Truth be told, she had hoped her companion would have found nothing and this whole quest for a thrill would have been abruptly ended. But it would not be so. More with a sense of duty than adventure, she woman followed after her eager companion, her steps lengthy and firm though rhythm suggested reluctance unlike the canny trot taken by the flight-footed female.

Ahead an ominous sight came into view. A building left abandoned sat contently within the creaking woods. A sight warranting suspense if ever there was one. X’yrin was held in place by uncertainty more so than fear. The façade of the house almost yawning with the weariness of age, harboring something ancient within better left undisturbed. She spied the brave advance of the young girl and soundly barked to garner her attention. “Perhaps that is not a good idea?” she proposed to be thought on.

[/html]
[html]
OOC If X'yrin stays behind, I can just play as the ghost

Her companion's words made her pause. Already Terra was forcing herself to move against her instincts. Maybe it would be for the best if they just backed down. Lifting her head Terra sniffed the air, checking for danger. She couldn't smell anything wrong, and her eyes just showed an old house. Terra had played in plenty of those growing up, and even used them for shelter when traveling. Why was this one so different? Why did it make her feel afraid despite the fact she could defend herself, and run faster than any creature she'd encountered?

The next moment secured in her mind the reason why they should leave the house alone. Something moved inside there, something with no smell or sound. The hackles stood completely up. Bowing down Terra snarled at the unseen presence. She was frozen to the spot, torn between a deadly fascination and the deep need to flee. The door creaked open, and out stepped what looked like a wolf.

Terra has no connection to the spiritual whatsoever. She believes in the stories that her family told her, but adheres to no particular religion beyond the fact that Coyote is out there making tricks, bettering their lives. Even that was tapered by the sure feeling of death that Terra fought. She knew no other world than the one she lived in. That creature defied all existence. At this point, Terra's mind kindly chose to exit, making sure the poor girl wasn't overwhelmed. Without another moment Terra turned and fled. She was halfway out of the forest before her mind returned, allowing her to process what had been.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc: 309 words. We could call it finished. :] Her first ghost encounter. She'll remember this for a while.

From the doorway of the creaking home crept an unearthly image. Translucent to the naked eye, yet was shrouded in a mist of particles emanating from its body. Her hackles rose with alarm, her lips pealing back with ivories bore in defense. What was this creature? It had no solidity, simply a wisp; a remnant of life departed from its realm beyond this plain. It was… unnatural. Its presence was an intrusion on the plain of the living and stirred an undeserved resentment for the wayward soul.

Her more excited companion had gotten what she desired, to see something strange for the thrill, but was apparently not expecting this apparition. Fear gripped her as it did the older woman. The girl fled without so much as acknowledging her taller guide, leaving the Nomad alone with this lone soul. She said nothing to pacify whatever irritation it harbored, nor offered console for its bodiless condition. She felt the talons of her owl dig deeper into her pelt, combing through to graze toughened skin as he hooted his distress. “Leave. We should leave,” came the softly coherent warning of her companion, raising the woman’s brows with surprise. “We must leave it alone…”

X’yrin abided the suggestion of her companion, lowering her head humbling to the apparition and backing from its presence. “Forgive us,” she whispered, her voice laced with fright. Her fangs remained bared, addressing her willingness to defend should the not allowed to leave in peace. Yet the pair was not followed. Though the crippled house had slipped from view, the image of ghost remained forever imprinted on her mind. Only when she felt true strength return to her legs did she take a surer stride through the forest, leaving the damned creature to its domain and returning to her self-employed task at hand.

So much for an uneventful break.

[Exit X'yrin]

[/html]