Red Silk
[html]
It is midday
Word Count ► 301

She had been wandering around the coast between the first pack she had smelled and the second, ringed by the skulls of wolves. The first smelled of that attractive man, so she chose to avoid it for now. If she wanted to look for a pack or information, she knew where to go to find him. The second one concerned her only for a moment, before she realized that the skulls were not meant for her kind. The place almost reminded her of that gang that discriminated against the dogs and would not take in anyone with visible dog blood, much like her and her family. But that was only because they had decorated their clan buildings with the blood stained old collars of dead dogs.

It was the lack of trees that really drove the woman away from the area. The sea was pretty and all, and the forage was fantastic for her mare. But she longed to see the city and see for herself if the man's words were true or if he was just another lying man. She went north after finding the scent markers and skulls wrapped around from the salty waters northward. Hopefully, their territory did not hug the mountain or else she would find herself asking for permission to cross. And she did not want to know what that would cost her.

The weather was chilly, even with the sun high in the sky and blazing down on her. Absentmindedly, she pulled out a red silken shawl, which she draped easily over her shoulders. The mare underneath her kept up her pace, making the woman's body bounce lightly with the motion, accentuating curves, despite the lack of need to do so. Regardless, Isabella followed the borders, praying that she could get around easily.

<style type="text/css">
.wheart b {font-weight:normal; color:#526b96; text-shadow:#466baa 0px 0px 3px; }
.wheart .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#466baa; text-align:center; text-shadow:#000000 0px 1px 1px;}
.wheart p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px;}
.wheart {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#02070e; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/3P7Kq.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/UyEOs.jpg) ; background-position:bottom center,top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #526b96; padding: 220px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Palatino Linotype, sans-serif; font-size:14px; color:#1d3256; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
.wheart .wc {color:#466baa; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #466baa; text-align:left; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.wheart-b {width:502px; border:1px solid #02070e; margin:0 auto;}
.wheart-b2 {width:504px; border:1px solid #a8a8a8; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Thanks for starting!

Word Count → 458

Winter’s bite had come to the north, though there were still weeks of autumn left before the snows began falling. As a loner, Vesper would be pressed for food and competing against others for the small animals hiding away for warmth. However, since joining Inferni, her usually gaunt features had filled out to a healthy slenderness, softening her appearance even though her compact muscles were all the stronger for the nutrition. Since joining the rumored savage clan, even her personality had been mitigated, her temperament less harsh though the spark still remained. She wasn’t suddenly bouncing around on cloud nine, but she was content with where she was and no longer afraid of losing her freedom.

The Tirones became a regular patroller along the border, for her own sake even more than the clan’s most of the time. She did brush against the trees and leave marks and check to make sure that no skulls had fallen off or been stolen, and she kept her senses alert for trespassers, but she usually walked the edge of the territory to look at the neutral lands beyond more than anything else. She still loved the thought of running through lands unclaimed and being independent enough to survive out there, but while her wounds were mostly healed over, she wasn’t quite strong enough to be exploring all of Nova Scotia again.

The strong odor of a horse tugged at her attention around noon, and she abandoned the rabbit trail she’d been following to check it out. Horses were dreadful creatures, the coywolf thought, even though the ones in Inferni weren’t accompanied by giddy and stupid girls and were much more tolerable. Her eyes rolled as she thought of Leigha and her grey cob, and then she set off in the direction of the horse scent. It seemed to come from past the borders, and she wondered if one of their own herd had wandered off—but she trusted the other members to be able to handle their animals. Besides, this scent was accompanied by that of a lone luperci, one that smelled half-and-half of coyote and dog.

Inferni tolerated coyote blood, and so Vesper saw no harm in going to greet this individual—though she probably would have anyway. She loped along in her lupus form until she spotted the horse through the bushes. They seemed to be moving at a quick-enough pace, and Ves knew there would be no real time to shift into a different form, not with her lack of skill.

“Hello?” the coywolf called, coming forward instead. She remained on the edge of the borders, her blue eyes scanning the horse lazily before finding something more interesting in the shape of the woman on its back.

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px; font-size:13px;}
.vespiary p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 13px; margin:0px;}
.vespiary {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#7c3d1a; background-image:url(http://i39.tinypic.com/fco4ch.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #351801; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#351801; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.vespiary .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
c: break during eeessay
Word Count ► 267

Isabella tightened the shawl about her shoulders, seeing her breath on the air before her mouth. It was growing colder. She would need to find a house soon, if not the city itself. Fire was what kept her alive in the winter nights. How would she function without a slew of clients ready to give her what she needed? She came alone here, with no one aware of her services and the costs she demanded. What would she do?

The mare beneath her suddenly stopped moving smoothly. Her gait was rather jittery and she seemed nervous, if the way her ears were twisting were an indication. Isabella patted the mare's neck, gaze instantly starting to scan the surrounding area, especially the border of skulls. Had someone come to see who was wandering just beyond the borders? As far as she knew, she had not yet trespassed into the territory itself. There was nothing to fear. But the mare was still very unaccustomed to the woman riding her back. They were not yet lifetime friends, especially considering Ducky already had a master before.

Someone exited the brush, appearing in the woman's sight. Bi-colored eyes shot at the voice, and instantly relaxing at the female. She couldn't handle more wily men at this moment, not with her nerves and worries like static in her blood. "Hello? Have I intruded?" she asked gently, night and day compared to her voice with the man. Women were the stronger sex, and Isabella firmly trusted women more than men, though even that had to be earned from the gender.

<style type="text/css">
.wheart b {font-weight:normal; color:#526b96; text-shadow:#466baa 0px 0px 3px; }
.wheart .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#466baa; text-align:center; text-shadow:#000000 0px 1px 1px;}
.wheart {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#02070e; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/3P7Kq.png), url(http://i.imgur.com/UyEOs.jpg) ; background-position:bottom center,top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #526b96; padding: 220px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Palatino Linotype, sans-serif; font-size:14px; color:#1d3256; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
.wheart .wc {color:#466baa; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #466baa; text-align:left; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Doodoodoodoo

Word Count → 279

Her sudden appearance seemed to have startled the horse and the coydog woman on top of it, but Vesper doubted that her small, slender lupus frame could ever be that intimidating. Perhaps she wasn’t a pleasant sight, coupled with her myriad of scars and the skulls perched around her, but she tried not to appear threatening even as she crossed over the border.

The woman had relaxed, though, and asked lightly if she had intruded. Abandoning the sight of the mare for the pretty luperci, Vesper first simply shook her head before glancing quickly over her shoulder. “No,” she answered aloud. “No, you’re fine—though it’d probably be safer not to be so close, just in case there’s a misunderstanding. I don’t think you personally should have anything to fear, but Inferni does not deal with trespassers lightly.” Especially lupine ones; she’d heard stories of those being killed the moment they were spotted on clan land.

She cleared her throat faintly. “You should be fine with me here, anyway.” Her subconscious placed her in that protective position again, the one she felt among most admirable women she met. The stranger had yet to prove herself extraordinary in anything but her appearance, but she had a good temperament thus far, and Vesper had no reason to disrespect her.

It was only after she realized the flirtatious way her words could be interpreted that she lost some of her cool, coyote-large ears tipping back slightly. However, there was no reason to take back what she’d said, and she wouldn’t mind helping a pretty lady out even if it was as simple as offering directions. “Are you headed anywhere in particular, miss…?”

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px; font-size:13px;}
.vespiary {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#7c3d1a; background-image:url(http://i39.tinypic.com/fco4ch.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #351801; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#351801; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
wanted to get some muse flow DX
Word Count ► 392

The woman sent her bi-colored gaze over the scarred woman into the pack behind her. No one was coming, and the only smell was the woman on four legs looking up at her. There was no threat here, not at all. Isabella gave a slight smile, wary of the stranger nonetheless. "Yes, I know that much." Her voice had a hint of exasperation. Young as she was, her instincts were still on par. Plus the skulls were a rather good deterrent. "I didn't want to wander too far from the border. You take up a lot of land, making it hard to go around." She gave a tinkling laugh, not sure how to act with a woman she had only come upon rather than had walk into her parlor.

Isabella shot the younger woman a broad, sly smile, something that was entirely instinctual. The words were familiar to her and she had heard them plenty of times before from men in her bed cooing over her. They would tell her that they would not let her want for anything, because they were there. Later, she would roll her eyes at their silly comments, especially as she sorted the things they would bring. Men were something stupid, especially when a woman managed to please them and give them their release. Men were terribly stupid.

"Yes. I am heading to the city. Isabella, if you please." She rubbed her wrists lightly, looking at the woman on the ground. "A man told me that it was dead and that I shouldn't bother seeing it. But I know I ought to." Isabella did not mention that the man had reeked of lies, attractive as he was. He could easily have lied about Halifax being dead, simply to have her join him and come to his bed more willingly. Not likely, not as long as she had not seen it. Or at least had many confirm that naught happened in the city. How could it be dead? "Is it truly dead?" There was a hint of concern in her voice as she dismounted from the horse. She ought to have stayed on the mare's back, but she decided the other woman was not a threat at all. Regardless, she had a hand on the reins as she stood beside the mare's sides.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

My post sucks... trying to just get replies out of the way today ><

Word Count → 277

The smile on the woman’s lips did not quite reach her eyes, which Vesper couldn’t decide were yellow or blue. She lashed her tail slightly at the other’s almost irritated tone, resisting the urge to back away, which she would have done had they been on equal standing as two loners. It was up to the other to avoid conflict in this case, though Ves wouldn’t bother her as long as she got the message that too much skulking about might get her hurt. Her skin crawled slightly at the memory of Helotes’ teeth before she heard the laugh.

Uncertain of what to say to that comment, Vesper met the sly smile with the faintest of smirks and took a seat to further remove herself as a potential threat—not that her scrawny lupus body could have done much to a woman mounted on a horse anyway.

Swallowing some comment about how the name Isabella suited this coydog, the tawny female frowned at mention of the city—the frown deepening as the other asked if it was “dead.” At first, she wasn’t sure how a piece of territory could be “dead,” especially if it was infested with human objects and metal skyscrapers anyway, but after considering the question, she answered slowly.

“Halifax isn’t very populated; most luperci who wander through there do so to find objects then leave, though there are some squatters. It’s—I guess it’s dead, if you were expecting anything more interesting than an abandoned human place.”

Her half-ear flicked uncomfortably, and Vesper slowly rose onto all fours again, glancing at the curvy body of the woman. “What did you hope to find there?”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
pshuu you're fine cx
Word Count ► 379

Isabella wondered if the gaze she felt from this woman was similar to the one men had a habit of giving. Perhaps the woman on all fours was not used to seeing someone like her, dressed in the bright silks, and the golden adornments earned from her trade. She had to have been a sight to anyone coming along her way. At her wrists were golden bangles and the silks adorning her upper and lower bodies were shiny in the weakening sunlight of the waning fall. But perhaps it was just the confusion of the question. How many folks came through, seeking to find a city? Especially when one had already warned them that they would not find a population there. Who was so terribly dense?

She was far from dense. She simply distrusted that Sirius fellow. He was an odd one, a seducer, a man who wanted women and when he liked what he saw he would go get it. A viper in a canine's pelt. He was a terribly attractive viper, but a snake by any other name still had a sting most fatal. That dark man would have a challenge on his hands if he felt he would poison the harlot of Montreal.

So it was true. A second person would not give the same lie, especially when they seemed so confused about the question. Truly dead.. no. Isabella gave the woman a pained look, letting it filter into her eyes as she looked away. "Oh dear..," she mumbled into her horse's neck, rubbing it slightly as she glanced away from Vesper. It was not pain she felt but terribly disappointment. She could hardly believe such a thing. Cities had people, life. Was pack life all that was here to be had?

Isabella turned her bi-colored eyes to the woman, shaking her head. "I must seem a fool, then. I seek to open up a shop for my trade. I had been hoping for a place with many people, so I could find clients..," she said softly, turning her head away to appear lost in thought. "What shall I do now?" added the woman, voice speaking truly to the air, rather than the other female. But of course, it was all for her.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Ves is so dense.

Word Count → 479

Isabella averted her disappointed blue-gold eyes, turning into the neck of her mare, and Vesper stifled a little growl of frustration—one directed at herself for several reasons. One was that she hadn’t wanted to upset the woman, and another was a sharp jab at herself for even caring. Despite her hard front, the coyote hybrid found herself giving a damn far too often was healthy—both for her reputation and for her existence. She was vulnerable, drawn in like an insect seeking the sweet nectar at the bottom of a pitcher plant.

Slipped, drowned, digested.

The coywolf also did not know of great cities or the bustling crowds, so she could only wonder at the loss in the other’s expression. Her expression betraying nothing more than a hint of confusion, she listened to the other’s explanation before the word “clients” popped up. Born feral, the two-year-old hybrid didn’t understand the implications that could rest behind that word, and so with all the naivety of an uncivilized rogue, she tilted her head and hoped to reassure her.

“There are different tracts of land, different paths that luperci cross. I know that some merchants will stop and sell their wares. Or you could simply find a pack that was interested in whatever your trade is, set up shop on neutral territory.”

Vesper had no idea why she was trying to help the other young woman out, other than the protective instincts that built in her at a time like this. She was sure that she sounded pathetic, and any clan mate who wandered across them would probably laugh at her if they didn’t reprimand her for chatting so easily with a loner.

Something drove her to shift, then—a small, prickling urge that was also accompanied by the urge to get away from Inferni for the moment. She could practice balancing in the mountains, perhaps find a meal there, but first she needed to figure out what to do with and for this Isabella. She sighed then began the change, deciding that the coydog wouldn’t be a threat mid-transformation, since she hadn’t attacked anyway. She was still uncomfortable as her limbs and spine lengthened and she eventually rose on two legs. If anything, with her cropped mane and still slightly feral pleasure, she looked even scruffier.

She gestured with a white hand to the neutral lands. “There is space in the Dampwoods to cross,” she said, remembering what the woman had first said about Inferni taking up land. She spoke in a tone that she hoped made her dismissal polite, then added, “I’m Vesper. And I can show you the way, if you’d like—to Halifax. It might not be swarming with luperci, but there are those who explore it and might come across your shop.”

And then the question she’d been cautious about asking: “What is your trade, anyway?”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
muse is starting to run low crapsss
Word Count ► 390

Isabella shook her head. There was little reason for her to set up shop in a place where travel was not heavy, where people did not roam through often. It was a slight chance that someone would stumble upon her place in the woods, even if she had signs up all over the place. That was a waste of her time and of her effort. She had to be located somewhere people would know of her and know where to go for her. That option was not acceptable. But at least this woman was trying to help her, which Isabella could not denounce. She'd have to thank her somehow. "It has to be busy. Word of mouth may not suffice alone here." If the city was dead, then there were not enough canines to spread her skills around.

The other woman shifted, and Isabella noted her scars. Damaged goods. How had she gotten them, she wondered. The gypsy woman bowed her head at the other woman's introduction, giving a light smile, reserved for fellow women. It was a true smile. Or at least as true as Isabella could muster. The feelings were genuine behind it, that was true. "Pleasure, miss." Though, she still shook her head at the offer. She would not put out the stranger, especially when all she longed for were directions and certainty. And she had acquired both, though one was disappointing. "No, no, thank you. I should be alright. I would rather not put out another woman." Isabella had, after all, almost intruded on this clan's space.

She had expected the question. It was an awkward one, only when a woman asked. Most never knew truly what she was, but almost all who knew were disgusted and called her a home wrecker. She was not that at all. It was not because of her that men wandered from their women. She was simply the direction they happened to wander to. Whatever it was, it was not her fault that they did not feel satisfied by their women. Sometimes, they just wanted a risk, which she provided, or the exotic. But women, women did not need to know completely. "I offer fortune readings, cards and hand readings. I do charms and offer incense for trades. That like." By trade, she was definitely a gypsy.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

We can wrap this up whenever you'd like to if you're having issues with the thread. ^^

Word Count → 217

Vesper held in a sigh as her suggestion was proven useless. She didn’t even know why she was hanging around here anymore, trying to give tips to a new and gorgeous loner. Her time would be better suited to other things, and yet she was still reluctant to let Isabella simply ride off on her horse. She didn’t know what the feeling was, but it bothered her greatly.

At least Isabella wasn’t outwardly annoyed at her; she offered a smile that eased some of the tension from the scarred she-yote’s body. Once again, however, her own offer was lightly rejected, and she could feel a faint hint of relief. “It wouldn’t trouble me,” she said, though it was a quiet statement and not an argument to let her come. She’d follow the woman if she suddenly changed her mind, but this would give her a reason to sneak back into the forest and push the odd mixture of attraction and annoying obligation away.

The description of her trade made Vesper’s ears perk. “I’ve never met an actual fortune-teller,” she admitted. “I do wish you luck in attracting people to your shop; with a face like yours, I’m sure you wouldn’t have trouble.” Her lip quirked, though the expression was a gentler version. “We all need to eat.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
if you waaaant, but I'm not really having issues, just the muse suck from school, so I'll be a taad slower :C also I really wish I had a tarot deck to do this properly DX
Word Count ► 366

The other woman did not press to be taken along, for which Isabella was terribly grateful. She had no desire to acquire companions on this trip, and she never worked in sync with another person, let alone another woman. A man like her, perhaps, but she could never quite trust him not to slit her throat in the middle of the night. Regardless, the woman before her had offered and was kind about it, though there seemed to be a glint of relief in her eyes. It was really for the best; Isabella was not taking on an apprentice and she was far too young to even think about it. Old gypsies took on apprentices, or their daughters when they came of age. Isabella had neither great age nor girl child to teach the ways.

Suddenly, Isabella gave a smile at Vesper, suddenly rummaging through her precious saddle bags. She pulled out a well worn deck of cards. It was actually two decks, both tied with red ribbon and then lashed together to keep them from shifting. She pulled the ribbon loose and eased out the smaller deck and held them close. They were her stolen treasure, her mother's prized possession. The cards warmed under her palms as she held them close to her heart. The teller always had to get to know the cards, and the cards had to know her. She slept with the cards nearby, and when she was first getting them used to her aura, she had slept with the cards under her pillow.

Isabella gave a tinkling laugh at the woman's compliment. Well, of course. With a face like hers, she always got the customers. Unfortunately the poor and ugly came with the attractive, wealthy men. The worst crime a potential customer could commit would be to be poor. A worse was to be poor and ugly, all at once. But Vesper had truly been helpful. "Perhaps you'd like a reading in return for the advice? I'm not the sort to do things for free, nor do I happily accept free things." Gifts were a terribly thing. There were always strings attached. At least in her experience.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

No, it's fine; I didn't know if it was a general thing or not. xD I understand because class has been sucking my muse too.

Word Count → 233

A smile out of nowhere and hands reaching into saddle bags caused Vesper to lift a brow though she said nothing, only stood and waited. When she produced cards tied with red ribbon, the scarred woman leaned forward slightly. She had seen scattered cards here and there in Halifax, but she had never understood the purpose of them. Unable to read, Ves automatically assumed the symbols on them were letters that she shouldn’t bother with, and so she’d always considered them as pointless.

The way that Isabella held the deck seemed to contradict that, however. She held them close to her breast, like a precious infant, and after her light laughter made the offer to do a “reading.”

Vesper lowered her ears. “Sure,” she said unsurely, not quite comprehending what the woman was talking about. She supposed it was her trade, however, and while she didn’t mind giving the advice for nothing, she did understand feeling obligated to match what others offered. If it made the coydog easier, Vesper would let her do what she willed. “I’m afraid I don’t understand, but I would like a reading, if you could explain it.” Her tone was uncertain but not quite embarrassed; she had no need to feel ashamed for something she couldn’t have possibly known. However, admitting that she didn’t know something was always a little hard on her pride, justified as it was.

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
I have a tarot deck now to do this with xD
Word Count ► 338

The woman was not certain about this at all, that much was very clear. Isabella understood the hesitance in her voice and her concern, having seen plenty of people, women mostly, come to her at their wits ends but still wary of the arts. Plenty more had been cautious when she wrote her charms in her father's language for plenty of things. But many kept coming back for reading after reading, when her predictions came true, in one sense or another. Vesper agreed to the reading, so Isabella gave her new client a pleasant smile. It made her proud to show off her gifts.

Isabella firmly secured the mare's reins against a thin tree, patting the nervous mare's nose with a free hand. Then she turned back to the Infernian. "This is my tarot deck." Isabella slowly stepped up before the other woman, then firmly planted herself on her knees on the ground. Delicately, she untied the ribbon and pooled it beside her thigh. Then, she pulled the shawl from her neck and flattened it on the ground between the two of them. "It's for telling fortunes and answering questions where the answer may not be visible now." Isabella put the two decks side by side, faces downward, toward the earth.

Back straight, the gypsy woman played one hand on each deck, silently thanking the decks as well as the Mother for her gifts. "Do you have a question to answer, or do you wish me to give you a reading for a special occasion or just one of your future?" The first was easiest to do, especially if the question at hand was difficult but clear in the client's mind. The second required details that may not be happily divulged. The third was simple, for it could be vague and interpreted as what the client wanted. "Perhaps a reading for a young child or unborn young?" The woman was not pregnant, but she could have friends ripe with babe or new parents.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]