Wish I didn't know now
[html]

Set before Swentzle enters Nova Scotia. Hover for translation.

Word Count → 295

Swentzle had been moving steadily for days now--nearly three months, in fact. His home was far behind him, the only reminders of the distant plains being the bison between his knees, the cougar prowling beside him, and the owl perched on the bags in front of him. He gazed thoughtfully up the path as he considered this, patting Hamza's flanks whenever it seemed the bull would slow down. Fovea, beside him, glanced up occasionally, as though she would dart away given the slightest chance, but he kept an ear peeled for her soft steps, and she wouldn't get such an opportunity. Citlali, for her part, was the calmest of the group, her head tucked under one wing and her breathing deep and even.

They had yet to encounter a settlement of any kind, and so when the trees opened before them and a sudden array of smells and sounds assaulted his senses, Swentzle directed Hamza to pause, lifting his head high. He caught the smell of cooking meat, and shouted words that made him vaguely uneasy. His eyesight was poor this early in the morning, and entering such a large group of canines inhibited in such a way was unwary, at best. He swung his leg over Hamza's back, sliding down his side and resting a hand on his horn to guide him through the mess. Fovea, custodi partem. He ordered, and made sure the Mountain Lion was drawing tight toward Hamza's other side before he began walking again.

His disability made him uneasy as he moved through the marketplace; but he wasn't stupid. He listened closely for anyone getting close enough to steal from his bags, and forged ahead, his ears laying tighter against his head with each canine that brushed against him.

Table by Aly, code by the Mentors!

<style>
.swentzle-fieldsofgold { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/kmHKk.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#93d7fa; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 300px 0px; color:#555555; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold b {color:#FFFFFF; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .wordcount {color:#555555; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}

</style>
[/html]
An easy target. That's what Amy saw. The single slave she had managed to procure rummaged behind her, bringing the various items her customers wanted from her wagon. She kept a sharp eye on the girl, as she was only partly broken in. Soon she'd be arriving at the coast where she could access her contacts more easily, but before then she wanted supplies. With the ease of a woman used to moving in shadows Amy stepped in front of the shy male. Greetings. Would you care to rest by my wagon? These markets can be very overwhelming.

A simple offer to earn the man's trust. She held out his arm for him, willing to guide him if he so wished. Amy was a businessman through and through. If it meant she would get a sale Amy was willing to do anything, even kill. Of course, that portion of her business had ended. Though the pay was quite high Amy hadn't cared for the assassin lifestyle, living at the beck and call of those who considered themselves higher up. Instead those talents had been turned to work for herself, striking fear into those that would try to cheat her. If they didn't pay, or tried to steal, Amy knew, and retribution was swift.

Pleasantly Amy lowered herself down, resting in the shade. Her horse stood nearby, eager to leave. The horse was a new acquirement as well, having only spent the past few months in America. She'd traveled far building new contacts, and it seemed her travels weren't quite over yet. The market wasn't under her control, nor did she wish for the power she once wielded. Amy truly yearned for the people to depend on her alone, and not just one of her subordinates. That is a lovely creature you have with you. Amy truly admired the cougar's coat, wishing that she could have it for herself. She'd trade for it if she could, but a rare find would be expensive.
[html]

occ here

Word Count → 338

Someone stepped in front of him, and he halted, his nostrils flaring slightly in an effort to separate the scent of this one dog from all the others. It was useless, at least to him, as he was quite unused to such an environment. He squinted slightly as a feminine voice offered him rest beside a wagon, and he spent a long moment discerning the shape of the canine before he nodded, reaching out when he saw movement--yes, they had offered him an arm. As he was steered away from the hustle and bustle of the market place, he kept a firm hold on Hamza's neck, pulling and pushing his head in order to guide the animal out of the way. Once they were stopped, he let go, and the bison's head lowered to graze. Swentzle couldn't help a small smile as he patted his mount.

Fovea flopped into the shade as well, and Swentzle carefully lowered himself beside the larger female, crossing his legs and arms. Thank you, He said, bowing his head fluidly. It was somewhat distressing, to realize he looked distressed enough to require assistance, but he was glad someone had come to his aid. Folding his hands in his lap, he tilted his head, his eyes struggling to make her out in the wan light. She spoke, suddenly, and Swentzle leaned back slightly, tilting his head. For a moment he thought perhaps she meant Hamza, as he was much admired back home; but up here people seemed more interested in his other companions. You mean Fovea? The feline's head rose, but seeing that he wasn't calling her, it lowered again, her tail lashing in such a way that he knew she was now aware they were speaking of her. Indeed she is, quite a beauty. I've had her since she was a kitten. He reached out a blind hand, and Fovea was quick to roll into it, her head coming just so so that he was scratching behind her ears as he spoke.

<style>
.swentzle-fieldsofgold { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/kmHKk.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#93d7fa; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 300px 0px; color:#555555; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .wordcount {color:#555555; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
[/html]
So the man didn't know his cat's worth. Of course if he came from a place where they were common that was to be expected. It was a shame that honesty was the one trait she held in business. Amy couldn't rob the man of the cat without informing him of it's full worth. I'm a traveling merchant. I'm heading for the east coasts right now. It's much easier to receive supplies that way. Gently Amy leaned back, resting against the canopy. It was just her luck that the slave tripped at that moment, breaking a precious jar of perfume.

As the scent wafted through the air customers scattered, giving distance to the disaster that was about to break. Stupid girl! I've told you to be careful! Amy wouldn't hit the girl. Bruising the merchandise would be a horrible fate. Instead she grabbed her ear, dragging her to the back of the wagon. Brusquely she fastened a rope, tying the slave up next to the horse. Muttering to herself Amy collected the broken shards, trying to make sure others wouldn't come to harm. It wasn't that she cared for their pain, but that people would be less likely to approach her if they did come to harm for no reason.

The heavy scent remained in the air, a sorrowful reminder of what had been lost. Sighing she sunk back down. I apologize for that. She is rather new. I haven't quite finished breaking her in yet. Hopefully that'll fall to another's hands. Cheerfully she grabbed some meat from her satchel, passing it to the blind dog. So what have you come here for?
[html]

occ here

Word Count → 422

Swentzle nodded politely as the woman informed him of her trade, and thought he understood her interest in Fovea. Even among the Great Plains, she was considered a rare treasure, as her coat was surprisingly dark; he wondered if she were interested for the cat itself, or for the coat only. Either way, Swentzle would never give Fovea up to such an uncertain fate; he'd raised her, after all, and she was his hunting companion--though, lately, there hadn't been much of the "companion" to that, more so she brought the food to the fire. He dug his fingers more deeply into her fur as something shattered nearby, and he turned his head toward the sound, curious and wary despite himself.

His companion's reaction to the noise had his grip tightening on Fovea's fur, until the feline yowled in protest and jerked away. He murmured an apology and stroked her more gently, and she leaned against his thigh, a purr starting up in her chest. He sat wondering about the fate of the poor girl, and wrinkling his nose slightly at the heavy perfume that wafted through the air. Its smell was heady, and not at all soothing, like the incense that he added to his fire; he managed to get used to it after a moment, though, during which time the merchant cleaned up after her worker's mess.

No apologies necessary, He said as she sat down again, and squinted as the blurry shape moved toward him, perhaps with something in its hand. Fovea was far quicker, rolling onto her stomach and snatching the meat before Swentzle could even recognize it for what it was. The sounds of her snacking on her treat soon followed, and Swentzle sighed, shaking his head. Do forgive us. I tried to raise her not to be a savage. Fovea's tail lashed against the ground and she growled, cupping the meat with her paws and gnawing on it more than she ate. And thank you for the impromptu snack, He added, with a baleful look down at his companion.

At her question, Swentzle rolled his shoulders in an elegant shrug, not entirely sure how to answer. I was unaware there was anything here, He settled for, So I have not come for anything. There are quite a few things I could use, however. He took a moment to run through his mental checklist of supplies, and said after a moment, Would you happen to have any spices, or medicinal herbs? I am especially low on Chile.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
Amy's ear twitched slightly as he spoke. There was no way he had come without a goal in mind, though it wouldn't necessarily be one a normal merchant could fulfill. Surely you came here for a reason. My stock is rather...exotic in nature. I do have Chile and such, but there's something more you came for, isn't there? Amy's voice dipped into a weave, lulling him in. Everything about her said to trust. If he truly wanted something, he could receive it.

With a flourish Amy stood, reaching back into the wagon. There was a selection of herbs and the like, but several were poisonous, members of her private collection. With care she selected the best. A pot of planted Chile, an herb for blood clotting, another for infection. She returned to her seat, holding the merchandise with care. Is this what you have in mind? Or is there still something more?
[html]

occ here

Word Count → 236

She wove her words subtly through the air, and he could see that they were meant to entice. That he noticed such simple manipulation meant that it was done well--it might have worked, too, had she not spoken out against the girl only moments before. He rose gracefully to his feet as he thought, his ears swiveling to track her movements, and she returned shortly and handed him several pots. He lifted the lids on them carefully, one by one, and trusted his nose to tell him what they were; Chile, in the largest, and a good strain, at that. The others were familiar to him, though he didn't know their names, as they came from farther north than he was used to. He nodded his satisfaction and moved to hand the pots back, pausing as the merchant spoke again.

Hamza bellowed shortly, then bent his head once more to his grazing, and Swentzle finally turned his head toward where he'd heard the commotion only moments before, his mouth forming a tight frown. He went over the comments she'd made that he'd dismissed earlier, and finally everything clicked into place. A slave trader, if he was correct. Folding his hands in his lap, he lifted his head, his ears standing tall and his head tilted, though there was a bit of a displeased air about him. The girl must be a handful. He offered simply.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
Amy smiled simply at the dog's words. It was true that the slave was difficult to handle, but she wouldn't want it any other way. The girl had been difficult to acquire and worth much more than the average slave, even partly broken as she was. She can be difficult, yes, but she's worth every bit of effort. Amy studied the man. He seemed ill at ease now. Was it his first time inquiring after such things? First time slave buyers always had a jumpy air around them, as if they were doing something wrong. Even Amy had been nervous when first beginning to deal with them, though that had been greatly reduced as she naturally felt she was worth more than the other canines around her.

The girl is very skilled. I doubt her talents are something that could interest you though. Perhaps something else? Amy wasn't attached to the slave by any means, but the buyer didn't seem to need the specialized skills that the girl provided. Once she found someone needing the skills Amy was bound to make a small fortune. She wouldn't give that up just to satisfy a wandering traveler. His request for a slave wouldn't go unheeded though. Amy could find another slave, maybe one younger, better trained, to fulfill his request.
[html]

occ here

Word Count → 191

Swentzle nodded along with the female's words, though the unease settled in his chest and he wanted nothing more than to move on then. He stroked his hands down Fovea's neck, thoughtfully, and swiveled his ears to catch the sounds of the marketplace. He was slowly getting used to it, and it seemed people weren't approaching Hamza at the moment--with the way Swentzle could hear his ears slapping against his head every now and again, he could tell the bison was getting irritated. He bowed his head a bit in thought, only raising it again when the merchant spoke again.

I see... He murmured thoughtfully, and then shook his head in answer to her question. There is little I need that my current companions cannot provide. He admitted, and then added, I am merely...curious. And he could freely admit that the prospect was intriguing, though if he were entirely honest with himself, it may very likely only be because the concept was so strange. He thought about it a moment more, and then brought his mind back to the present. What would you like in return for the herbs?

<style>

</style>
[/html]
Amy cocked her head at his words. A slave isn't something to get out of curiosity. They're delicate. I would hate to see my merchandise broken. Slaves in the wrong hands could reflect poorly on her. Escaped slaves made people demand refunds, while one dying on the owner also made her appear as a poor merchant. No, the ones she sold her slaves to knew how to punish slaves without killing them, and how to break unruly ones.

She turned her mind back to the herbs before them. I would ask for one of your companions, but I feel they're not for sale. Perhaps some fresh knowledge, or crafts work. That would be suitable payment. Common things like furs and supplies like the kind he requested were common. It was the unusual things that she'd need to stock up on. Knowledge was always useful, as it gave her more power than those who did not know about those things, and wood carvings and the like sold well in areas where people struggled just to live. Such trinkets were highly valued, brightening their dull lives.
[html]

I'm really sorry about the wait! My computer died. ;~;

Word Count → 165

Swentzle nodded and shrugged lightly, and then turned his attention to her next words, his hands pausing in their strokes to Fovea's fur. He thought for a moment, and his heart gave a painful wrench at parting with any of his companions, so he shook his head--somewhat regretfully--and prepared to be told there would be no trade. He was surprised, however, when she offered the goods in exchange for knowledge, or carvings. Though he had none of the latter, there was something he could offer.

If you've a map, I can point out several tribes in the south who could give you such things as animals like my companions and craftswork like the ones you seek. He hesitated, and then continued, I do not know about slaves among them, but there are many things they can give you that Northerners would not be able to. He knew for certain the Shikoban tribe had no slavery, but the others...that he did not know.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
OOC: No problem. It's Lasky, no importance. You have real threads, no?

IC:
Amy considered his offer. It was as fair as anything else she'd heard. Agreed. She was surprised that he had brought up slaves as a possibility, considering how uncomfortable he'd seemed at first. Still, it was good news for her. Turning back to the wagon she padded quietly over. With care she removed the precious map she'd been traded. It showed the lands of the area, giving her places with food and places to stay. It had been useful, keeping her alive. The one flaw was it didn't tell her where other canines were. She'd had to guess by picking out where stable packs could settle.

Kneeling down Amy spread the map before the customer. She took out some ink and passed it to him. I'm afraid I don't have a proper writing implement to offer. Getting such things are fairly difficult out here. Leaving the map where it was Amy took the herbs that had been sold and began to bundle them up for travel. Sharp eyes tracked the man's movement, eager to drink in the information he could give her.
[html]

lol I just feel bad for keeping you waiting. xD;

Word Count → 287

He was relieved when she agreed to his information; though he didn't like the thought of her possibly bringing up the idea of slavery to some of Shikoba's enemies, as he had no doubt that they would steal children from other tribes to fill her requests, he'd wished to provide her some incentive to accept. There was no guarantee she would be interested, though; he could hope. He tilted his head and listened as she moved about to get the map, and what he assumed to be ink, before it was carefully spread before him. He nodded and shrugged as she explained she had no writing materials, and then turned toward Hamza, clicking his tongue to wake Citlali from her slumber.

The owl lifted her head slowly, and then fluttered to his lifted arm. He plucked a feather as gently as he could from one of her wings, and she hooted a protest, then settled again, climbing up to his shoulder and tucking her head back under her wing. He scraped at the make-shift quill for a moment to sharpen the point, then dipped it lightly in the ink and did his best to focus his eyes. He couldn't see quite as clearly as he needed, but after a moment he could make out the vast plains on the map. He drew small, careful circles--six in total--and then an X through two of them, which were closer together than the rest. Those two are the Shikoba and Calfuray tribes. He said, setting the feather next to the ink and sitting back. If you tell them Swentzle sent you, they'll be more likely to trust your word. I cannot say the same for the rest.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
The trade complete Amy bowed her head towards the young man. Thank you. Here are your supplies. She handed the carefully prepared packages to him, glad of the trade. Amy didn't think she'd be stopping down south just yet. They would make useful contacts in the future though. She listened intently to his words, making sure of the tribe names that he told her. Standing back up she rolled the map and lovingly placed it inside. It would be one of her treasures now, and those that damaged it would regret it.

Amy had no more business with the wolf now, so he ceased to exist in her mind. She turned back to the market, surveying it for more customers. It was a shame that it had been a more difficult sale than she'd expected with someone carrying such disabilities, but the knowledge was still valuable. Maybe the next customer would be more gullible.