beware of the fury of the patient man
[html]
THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOVED
______THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOST

For Deuce. Set directly after the thread with Lucifer.

THE THINGS I'VE HELD SACRED
______________THAT I'VE DROPPED

_____ His path was deliberate, following the scent that he had identified with the woman. It was fresh, this trail, and he aimed to find her before Lucifer had a chance to warn the bitch. Ahren’s mindset was solid, clear. He knew what was to be done. The forest was quiet, bright with the mid-day sun. The light was dappled in the forest, and every time he passed into it his guard-hairs were set ablaze, turning near-white. His fur had darkened as he aged, but it was still dirty-blonde, off-white—save the saddle-back marking and the grayish-pink scars that still marred his figure. He had once been considered beautiful, though the blind eye and the scars had changed that. Still, he had a fine face and a body built on the road and on the decks of ships.
_____ He was closer now. The scents were many, and thick. This was near the heart of the territory, and he was aware of the danger. Still, it did not deter him. Ahren moved with one single purpose, knowing that if they came for him it would be a slaughter. Whatever else he was, Ahren was a guerilla, a terrorist, a monster. He knew his path all too well.

I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

[/html]
She was avoiding Lucifer. Again. As always. They were done and over, and she was dealing with that. She knew her time was numbered her in twilight Vale. She would deal with that when the time came. An idea was niggling her mind. A good idea. A grand idea. She mostly ignored it.

A scent made her turn around. Unfamiliar, angry, dangerous. Her fur stood on end like an enraged cat as she saw a shape flit through the trees. A growl began soft in her throat. Who's there?! She wished she didn't sound so uncertian. And she couldn't help it.
[html]

_____ The crossbow was still strapped neatly on his back, a constant weight that he took with ease. Ahren did not carry many arrows, and he did not intend to use it here. Weapons were a factor he would not use against her, not unless he was aiming to kill. If that was the case, as soon as she called out he would have struck her down. One arrow to the heart would end it. The blonde saw the white female, took in her scent, Lucifer’s scent, and smiled thinly.
_____ Everything happened in a silent flash. Ahren rushed her, using his weight (for he was only slightly taller then her) to attempt and push her. At the same time, his hands shot out, one going for her arm, the other a fist aimed for her face. He made no noise—he just kept grinning.

[/html]
She gasped as a grinning fiend came at her, stumbling backwards. He grasped at her arm and she reflexively jerked it away even as a fist met her face. She yelped, losing her footing and falling. She'd always been able to hold her own, but those were in fair fights, not fights out of nowhere. Anger overtook the fear and she kicked out, hoping to catch the attackers legs. She sat up almost as soon as she'd hit the ground, snarling and trying to figure out who was attacking her and why.
[html]

_____ He grinned not because this was entertaining, but because it was right and he knew it. One foul turn deserves another, and Ahren had no problem with what he was doing. The blonde felt the woman hit the ground and moved his feet just enough. She caught one of his legs, but it was not enough to make him lose his balance. He stuck out with one of his feet, aiming for her ribs, and at the same time striking out with one clawed hand. His goal was not to kill her, not immediately. The smile was fading as he began to lose his thrill and focus on the purpose.

[/html]
He didn't fall and she tried to scramble to her feet even as a foot caught her in the ribs. She felt a sharp pain and gasped as the air suddenly seemed superheated. Some detached part of her mind informed her that she probably had just earned a fractured rib. He struck out again and she saw red as blood began pouring from a wound in her face. She finally managed to get to her feet, lunging futilely at her attacker. She thought she might feel flesh under her claws, but was unsure. Her ears were pinned to her skull, her tail tightly against her legs, but she still tried to defend herself. She didn't knw what this was about, but she would fight to protect herself.
[html]

_____ Somehow she got to her feet, and struck out. Her swings were wide, inexperienced, womanly. He avoided most of them, but felt her strike his shoulder, and as he moved his head, he felt her catch his ear. It was a hot, sharp pain, and he knew she had done some damage—enough to cause it to bleed, it seemed. Again, he pushed forward, another punch aimed for her skull, again trying for her arm. Still, he did not speak, or even growl. He offered her nothing. Not yet.

[/html]
Another blow to the skull made her vision flicker and double for a moment. This guy had some power behind him. The blow stunned Deuce for a moment, long enough for him to grab her arm. She struck out with the free arm, blows aimed at the offending arm hoilding her trapped and the chest. She wasn't weak, but it seemed as if her blows didn't faze the male one bit. A yelp, and she lunged towards the male, her fangs flashing, aiming to strike any part of him she could.
[html]

_____ Noise. That told him exactly what he needed to hear. She was in pain and his goal was ever closer. The free hand struck his arm, and though it hurt more then he imagined he did not let go. His hand was a vice, claws digging into her skin. Then her fangs came forward and caught his shoulder, but he moved, made what could have done serious damage to his collar-bone a rather bloody mess. He moved, then, and twisted her arm, striking out with one of his feet, claws aimed at her lower leg.

[/html]
She could taste blood in her mouth and he kept twisting. She yelped and began struggling to get free. She wasn't stupid, she knew when it was time to cut and run. And then he kicked, claws gouging her leg, and the white woman fell. There was a sickening crack, and whitehot pain flashed through her mind. A breathless scream exited her maw as her vision, white-hot, began dimming.
[html]

You reply and I think we're done? :]

_____ He released her almost instantly. Ahren was bleeding, panting, and felt remarkably justified with this result. She did not deserve death, as much as he might want to give it to her. It had been this way for him, though Iskata had made key mistakes. If she had not, he would have died a long time ago, back on Inferni’s beach. Spitting blood from his mouth and lowering his head to her ear as she began to lose consciousness. “You deserve this,” he said lowly, voice thick and carrying the accent he even now barely heard.

[/html]
His words barely penetrated the fog of unconciousness that was flooding her brain. She had time to form one word, unknowing if it made it out or not. Why? And then it was all gone, her unmoving body slumping on the ground. Hours later she would wake up and drag herself to her den to begin the healing process.