Lost in Paradise
[html]

Not the best starting post ever, but at least it gets things rolling Big Grin

Grey clouds rolled in over the forest. Rumbles of thunder could be heard in the distance, slowly creeping across the horizon. Rain had already begun to fall, light and sprinkled at first, but now it showered and poured like there was no tomorrow. The wind was cold, sharp against the trees. It was like they were almost screaming in agony with their whipping branches and the rustling of their last remaining leaves.

Lucia had been sat in the same spot for little over two hours. In the appearance of four-legs, a rarity to say the least, she had positioned herself neatly behind the thick bushes that lay across from the den. She had been watching intently, trying to work out her next move, and yet, every time she wanted to move, reveal her presence, she had failed. Something had always held her back.

It still looked the same. It still smelt the same. It would seem like nothing had changed at all, but even Lucia knew that wouldn’t be the case. She had disappeared for quite some time, panicking at the thought of falling in love again. She had ran away again, turned her back on everything and everyone she had grown to like – or even love – and fled Nova Scotia once again. And yet, here she was. Sitting once more in the Dampwoods, the place she had called home, staring emptily at what she once could have called home as well. Staring at the future she had destroyed for herself.

Sighing, Lucia felt a small tear slide down her face. She wondered when he would return, where he was, what he was doing. She wondered how he would react to seeing her, if he would react at all. But most of all, she wondered if he still loved her, and that if he did, was it even half as much as she had grown to love him?

A shiver shot down her spine, the rain growing heavier as the storm crawled above her. She knew that eventually he would have to come here, and that when he did, she would need all the courage she could muster, to reveal herself again. Everything ran through her brain, everything tormented her soul, poked holes in her heart. Oh, how she had missed him in her absence, and though most would be told that she returned only for a meeting with Tayui and to keep her promise to the strange woman, Lucia alone would know the real reason. Zalen; the one that slipped away...

<style type="text/css">
.lt b {font-weight:bold; color:#91ba5a; letter-spacing:1px; }
.lt .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color: #a99393;}
.lt p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.lt {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#2c3033; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... /table.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 350px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
OOC

The rain was brutal today, more so than it had been in the last couple weeks; tonight there would be a veritable storm. Zalen, like a liquid shadow, was sliding through the trees as best he could in his two legged form. The paint on his face, which had already been faded and in need of reapplying, was sliding down his cheek, making it seem as if his green eyes were bleeding. Had he known the rain was to start up like this, he would not have left his den. But he was on a mission, a mission to bring closure to a painful chapter in his life, one that had must end before he could truly be completely enveloped in the joy of the new chapter he had begun.

He was heading to Lucia’s old home, and would pass through the place they had met before. He was bringing a gift, a gift of goodbye, one that had been meant as a gift of love; but that love was no gone, disappeared into the wind as she had. He clutched the small, hume made thing in his hand, the strange rainbow colored cube he had found in Halifax the day he had met the bird handler. He looked down at it, at its strangeness; he never did figure out what it was used for, but it was a nifty thing. He had planned on giving it to Lucia as a token of his affection, and had also planned on asking her to be his mate, if she would have him. After his talk with Soran, after he had found out more about her ex-lover, he was confronted with a tough decision but had found that his feelings could not be ignored.

But when he had gone to meet her, to see her again, to confess all these things to her, she had not been there. He had visited her den and their meeting spot several times following that, but her scent had grown cold; she was gone. Zalen had been so distraught then, pushed even more to go off and found a new life for himself in the north, and that’s when he had met Titania. Ah, Titania, the young wolfess that had so quickly stolen his heart. Even to this moment, the logic in him told him it could not be so, but his heart said strongly otherwise.

Now, he was coming back to this place, and would lay this gift against the tree he had last smelled her, and would finally let her go, for there was not enough room in his heart for both the dark femme and the light one.

The wind whipped at him, tore at his hair that was luckily bound in a tight braid, the hawk feathers fluttered behind his ear. He was panting, him breath rising from him and then being swept away quickly by the gale, but he close. As he neared the tree, he thought for a fleeting moment he could even see Lucia there, sitting like a shadowy statue by the tree, but he brushed it off as a trick of his mind and the torrent. But then, as he neared, he saw the emerald in her eyes and he stopped cold, his blood turning to ice in an instant. He dropped the gift into the mud.

<style type="text/css">
.zalen b {font-weight:bold; color:#0e140b;}
.zalen p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.zalen {margin:0 auto; width:350px; background-color:#f4ffc9; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ ... /Zalen.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #c0c0c0; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: Times new roman, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
.zalen p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.zalen p b:after { content: close-quote; }
</style>
wc: 559
[/html]
[html]

Do you want this before or after Lucia shows up at the meeting with Tayui? How do you think it would flow better? Smile

His scent flowed through the thickening rain drops, greeting Lucia’s nostrils calmly, though it did not stop a shiver from shooting down her spine. Those lifeless coals spun to meet his position, and as his form came into view, her heart felt like it almost stopped. She wanted to smile, but nothing happened. She was frozen, statuesque in her sadness. She hadn’t seen him in weeks, and though she had thought about him every day, the fear of being hurt again did not allow her to return. It was only after she had convinced herself that her return was simply in favour to Tayui that she had crossed the Nova Scotia borders again, still uneasy about facing the male who had once offered to give her his heart.

Rising onto all fours, her dark fur was ruffled. The rain had drenched her thoroughly, adding to her apparent morbid stance. She couldn’t bare to even look him in the eye, her gaze darting all over, avoiding his face at all costs. She had caught a quick glimpse, however, and her brain had instantly remarked on how good he looked. He seemed healthy, well-off. Perhaps her leaving hadn’t caused as much damage to him after all. Maybe she had given him too much credit, believing his words of caring whole-heartedly. Maybe he didn’t care at all.

She wanted to walk closer to him, but her paws were like lead. They refused to move, glued into the muddy earth like it were cement. All she could do was hope that he wouldn’t turn and run, much like she had done the last time they were both here. A thousand thoughts rushed through the twisted wreckage of her mind, each one spiking her anxieties, her demons. Did he hate her? Could he forgive her for running? What had happened since she had left? Would they make up? So many thoughts and time seemed to stand still with every single one. It was like a dream almost, a terrible nightmare that Lucia couldn’t wake from.

Finally, after it felt like her heart would explode from the tension in the air, Lucia’s mouth parted. Her scarred eye wrinkled with the movement, as more rain fell across her face, giving the illusion of tears. It would cover the real ones, and for that, Lucia was grateful. She couldn’t speak at first, her voice almost jammed inside her, almost choking her with frustration, but after much determination, it finally happened. It was soft and quiet, sadness and guilt thick in her tone. She dreaded what would happen next, what he would do, what she would do… the entire situation terrified her, but if there was anything left to salvage, she had to at least try. That or she could live in regret for the rest of her days.

“Hey… I’m back.”

[/html]
[html]
This would have to be after, since the Tayui thread happened like a month or more ago in my timeline.

The two ebony stared at each other, unmoving and like some surreal mirror. Zalen’s breath had stopped, but soon his chest tightened and he had to inhale sharply. Like a ghost she had returned, and the real ghost that followed him endlessly seemed to rattle the trees as his heart beat thunderously. She spoke and Zalen’s ears lay back against the top of his head; why was she back? Why now? Zalen must be being punished by something.

Even now, in this insufferable rain, her fur matted and dirty, Lucia was beautiful and Zalen’s heart seemingly ripped in two. She seemed so sad, so dark; the complete antithesis of what Titania was. It was clear now that the closure he had come here to seek was no longer a possibility, instead he must find a new alternative to his problem, and sadly he realized, it most likely involved hurting Lucia as she had hurt him.

His face suddenly shifted from shock to a scowl, his brow furrowing and a singular sharp canine piercing the line of his lips; he let the anger finally rise to the surface, something he did not do often, but in this case it would shield him from whatever may come. Why did you go? His voice was choked, not as resounding as he had meant it to be. But this is what Lucia had done to him, this is what love lost and then found again had done; broken him and built him up all the same. Why did you return? He asked a little more ferociously, and his heart threatened to burst forth from his chest.

<style type="text/css">
.zalen {margin:0 auto; width:350px; background-color:#f4ffc9; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ ... /Zalen.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #c0c0c0; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: Times new roman, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc:272
[/html]
[html]

Ok, hope this is alright. Smile

His silence was not what the dark female had hoped for. He seemed to be studying her. It was almost like she could hear his thoughts racing in the wind. The thunder that had started in the distance was now right on top of them, giving more tension to the situation than there had already been. The rain pelted, and the shivers of adrenaline made them feel like bullets against her flesh. Shifting uncomfortably as the silence rolled on, nothing but the rain and thunder to keep it from completely shattering her spirits, Lucia’s eyes fell to the floor. She had seen him at the meeting with Tayui, but pretended he did not exist. She had too much guilt, too much fear inside her heart to deal with the situation right there and then. Plus, she had convinced herself that he didn’t matter as much, that the promise she made to the strange female was more important to her. It was all lies, but it helped her get by for the time being.

Now, however, her heart had given in. The emptiness and hollow darkness she felt with him not around had eaten her slowly from the inside-out, and now she had to show her face. There had been rumours circulating of a new woman in his life, as the grapevine seemed as fully stocked as ever, but she refused to believe them. She had seen the passion in his eyes when he looked at her, felt the warmth in their kisses, and the connection they had shared. She wouldn’t allow herself to believe he would, or could for that matter; throw it all away for somebody else. That just wasn’t the Zalen she had come to know, and love.

He had filled out nicely over time; his muscles seemed tighter, bigger. His fur seemed in good shape too, and he was still as beautiful as the first time she had seen him. It was in this moment that she couldn’t understand herself, couldn’t work out why she had to run away. She had thrown everything good away over her own pathetic fears and delusions, and now, from the scowl on his face, it seemed things were not going to go in her favour.

The anger in his voice shocked the distraught female. Her eyes flickered slightly, trying to capture the emotions before they crawled onto her face. The majority of it she managed to lock back into the confines of her twisted mind, but some slivered through the cracks. Tears lined her emerald coals, stinging her eyes as she tried not to blink. Her legs felt weak, muscles wanting her to collapse to the floor. It was all too much for the obsidian woman; the guilt was tearing her to pieces.

“I… Err,”
She stuttered, unable to get the right words out. Thousands of excuses, reasons, truths and lies ran through her skull. What could she say? Her heart knew the answer, but still her stubborn mind tried to fight against the truth. Her pride was a design flaw, constantly stopping her from truly expressing her opinions and feelings.

Sighing, frustration in her breath, Lucia lifted her gaze to meet his. She wanted to smile, but nothing happened. Instead she just stood there, cowering in front of him like a lost puppy. The tears had begun to slide down her fur, dripping like the rain that had surrounded them. Glancing briefly at the sky as a loud roar tore the silence, Lucia felt her entire world slip from beneath her. If there was anytime that the earth could open up and swallow her, this would have been it. But alas, she was not that lucky, and with one last deep breath, and her eyes back on his, she spoke once more. No longer was her tone empty and emotionless, but honest and genuine. He would know the truth this time. There was nothing left to hide.

“I left because of how much I love you. I know how bizarre that sounds, believe me I do, but it’s true. I fell for you so hard; more than I ever thought was possible for a woman like me, and it scared me. It hurts how much I feel inside for you, the happiness you brought me, the misery you brought me, the sanity you gave to me, and the insanity you caused me… it was all so overwhelming. And yet, it was all so amazing. But this is the thing, you see… I do love you, and I have since we first laid eyes on each other… and that is why I ran…”
She paused, tears flooding down her face as she spoke. Her eyes ran over his dark face, but she couldn’t read a thing from him. He was a closed book.

“And the reason I returned,”
her eyes dropped to the floor, a soft whine escaping her lips. “…I returned because I love you.”

[/html]
[html]
OOC

She looked so sad sitting there, not like the proud and vicious Lucia he had known. Instead of an intense darkness it was instead a fuzzy gray that she exuded and he wondered what happened to her on her journey away from here. A part of him wanted to run over and hold her, but the rest of the him was desperately trying to snuff the life of that part; he no longer wanted to be a slave to her love. And then she started to speak...

He had never heard her speak so long and so openly before, in the past it had all been shrouded in mystery, an enigma that he had to untangle. But here she was, laying her soul open before him, her broken soul, and he could not believe that it was coming too late. Had she only done this before, when his heart was hers to take... oh how different things would be now.

After she was done confessing her love for him Zalen could do nothing but stare at her. What could he say now? His heart was destined to belong to the white wolfess, not Lucia. How could he break her already cracked heart? With a sigh he knelt down and retrieved the peculiar gift and shook the mud off of it, You know why I came here tonight? I came to set this... thing... on the tree where we first met. I found it in Halifax a moon's turn ago, and I wanted to give it to you as a sign of my affection. He turned the small, colorful cube in his hand, reminiscing to the time he had been so in love with her, and how with her disappearance his heart had grown cold to the ways of the world. Had it not been for Titania, Zalen wasn't sure what he would have become.

Turning back to Lucia from his musings he moved towards her and set the cube at her feet, Now it must be a gift of friendship and nothing more. I cannot requite your love... there is someone else... He looked away, ashamed, not for himself but for her, for what she would feel from what he had just said. He hurt for her, but what else could he do? He was in love with the girl from the moon.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
wc: 393
[/html]