Woodcarving
My second character, Hotaru, is a blind woodcarver. For anyone who is asking, this is possible and there is a school dedicated to teaching blind people the art of woodcarving. The biggest problem is, I don't know the first thing about woodcarving. I know I can learn a lot from research but I was wondering if anyone actually does woodcarving in real life. If you do woodcarving I would love to know about your experiences so that I can make Hotaru as realistic as possible. If you don't, than any suggestions you have to make Hotaru more realistic would be helpful too.
I've done a little tiny very amateurish bit of carving... I basically used a hammer and chisel and then a small sharp knife and some sandpaper to smooth the edges quicker, but you might not need to do that really. You can use natural pine resin to varnish them, which stops the carving from getting damp and rotten.
Thanks for the help. I haven't done more that take the bark off sticks.
with me having shaw a carpenter, well I do a bunch of guessing and vague explanations lol. That's the best i can do, ..... and lots of idiot guessing on my part. I don't really mention any particular tools at all, if people want such descriptions from me on that particular part, well they will have to go home heh. I'm mostly vague but i do try to do my research on it. ^^;