Winter Nights
[html]

On the coast, just outside of CdA boarders. She is in Optime form.

Perhaps the most peaceful times are at night. The world's quiet embrace filled Hotaru with a sense of ease that she had not felt in a long time. If the moon was not out, then everyone would on the same page as her. No one would be able to see. To the blind woman, night and day no longer mattered. For her, the only way to mark time was by the temperature. Nights were always colder than the days that the world was so fond of. But Hotaru's winter coat was thick, and protected her from the cold and the soft wind.

As Hotaru walked, she listened to the sea and the wind. Together, they seemed to form a lazy lullaby. Even the sound of sand crunching beneath the grey wolf's paws did not detract from the duet that the sea and wind were singing. Every so often, a wave would wrap around the grey woman's paws, playing gently with her fur before receding. Could the tide be coming in? she wondered.

Slowly Hotaru walked, with her cane hanging just a few inches in front of her. Fawkes, the red tailed hawk, was not with Hotaru. He had chosen to sleep, rather than travel with her. Even so, Hotaru was not worried. This was the first time she had traveled on her own since the 'accident' had taken away her sight, but her steps were confident. Hotaru often referred to the incident as an accident, even though this was not anywhere close to the truth.

Eventually the young woman stopped walking and sat down on the beach. She sat for a long time, allowing the waves to slowly rise and cover her feet. Soon the waves reached her tail, although this occurred only once or twice every few minutes. Hotaru would not stay long enough for the waves to reach a substantial height, but for now she simply enjoyed the feeling of rushing water as it grazed her body.

Table by Aly, code by the Mentors!

<style>
.hotaru-purplefireflies { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RhX5n.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#805d7e; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 225px 0px; color:#; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.hotaru-purplefireflies b {color:#FFFFFF; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies p { color:#3e1f39; text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
.hotaru-purplefireflies .wordcount {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}

</style>
[/html]
Rory had gone for a stroll around the borders of Cercatori d’Arte with not a whole lot on his mind. He was happy with his mate, though he hadn’t seen her much lately. Saorise wasn’t feeling very well and he had to take care of her. Not that he minded but it was a bit tough on him to care for her. He just hoped that he wouldn’t get sick from his niece but it was entirely possible.

So he was wandering the border and saw a lone figure by the beach. The wolf seemed lonely so he changed his path towards them. His brown eyes were soft out of concern and his steps slowed as he neared the figure on the beach, clearing his throat to get their attention. It was a female but there was something a bit off with her eyes.

But that didn’t matter to him. ”’Ello, miss. Me name ‘tis Rory Ward. What might yer’s be?” His Irish brogue had not gone away or really decreased in intensity. But his accent had always been very understandable and apparently very charming. He smiled at her but had a suspicion that she wouldn’t be able to see him. He stood a little awkwardly, waiting for her answer.
[html]

Sorry for the short post

Word Count → 200

Hotaru had lost herself in the music of the night and did not even notice the stranger's approach. She simply stared out into the dark expanse and allowed the waves to roll over her paws. When Rory spoke up, Hotaru nearly jumped out of her fur. Hastily, the blind woman stood and shook herself a little. Hotaru mentally cursed at herself for allowing someone to sneak up on her. Her nose and ears worked furiously to catch any hints as to whom Rory might be. His irish accent was thick, but not unintelligible. The scent of Ceracori d'Arte clung to the strangers fur, allowing Hotaru to relax a little.

Rory's gesture went unnoticed by the blind women. Instead, Hotaru bowed her head a little and lowered her tail to show respect. As always, Hotaru's precious ears remained upright and alert. No matter how respectful she might be, the blind woman would never lower her ears. Her ears, hands, and nose were the only things that connected her to the outside world.

Despite her initial shock, Hotaru kept her voice calm and confident as she spoke. "Good evening Rory. My name is Hotaru. So what brings you out tonight?"

<style>
.hotaru-purplefireflies { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RhX5n.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#805d7e; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 225px 0px; color:#; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.hotaru-purplefireflies p { color:#3e1f39; text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
.hotaru-purplefireflies .wordcount {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
[/html]
OOC: No problem and sorry for the wait.

IC: Rory was very embarrassed that he had caused her to jump so badly. ”I’m sorry, miss. I did nae mean ta startle ye.” He silently offered his paw to help her up but was surprised that she didn’t take his paw. She seemed not to be looking at him but rather through him, as if she couldn’t see him. He had to wonder if she was blind. Not that that would matter to him. He saw no reason to think differently of her just because she wasn’t able to see.

He studied her as she bowed her head in respect and also lowered her tail. Her ears, however, stayed upright and he supposed it made sense for her to do so when her ears were a major way of being able to “see” the world. Her actions of nose and ears working to figure him out made sense and he was impressed at her abilities to survive despite her blindness.

At her name, he grinned and although she couldn’t his or his gesture, he bowed at her. ”’Tis a pleasure ta meet ye, Hotaru. I’m out to take a break from lookin’ after me niece. She’s been feeling poorly and I’ve been carin’ for her. Bu’ she’s asleep now.” He had to wonder about her. ”An’ what might ye be doin’ out an’ abou’?”
[html]

NP

Word Count → 285

Hotaru listened politely to Rory as he talked about his niece. The male had to bee fairly trusting to just go ahead and spill everything out like he did. Although Hotaru had asked, she never expected such a strait and honest answer. It was comforting to see someone so trusting of her on their first meeting.

Although they were pack, the grey wolf still felt like a stranger. She still had many trust issues. The betrayal of her brother, followed shorty by Cain's abandonment made it difficult for Hotaru to feel completely at ease around others. She mostly kept to herself, only interacting with others when circumstances forced her too. This was especially true when it came to food. Fawkes and Hotaru would often travel to the forest or beech to allow the red tailed hawk time to collect food. However, Fawkes was only able to gather so much food and Hotaru could not completely live off of the small game that Fawkes would bring in.

In the face of Rory's openness, Hotaru felt bad. Although she was smiling, it was not entirely sincere. Nor could she bring herself to let down her guard enough to properly enjoy their meeting. Still, Hotaru tried her best to look as natural as possible. "I'm sorry to hear about your niece, I hope she feels better." Hotaru turned her face to the wind and thought for a moment before she answered Rory's question. How much did she dare to give away? Finally, the blind women settled for the truth, or at least the most basic truth. "I wanted to walk under the stars. Even if I can't see them. Would you mind telling me how they look tonight?"

<style>

</style>
[/html]