Scent of Flowers
[html]
OOC Dec 6

Terra had been feeling rather curious since finding the two odd smelling wolves. She'd never met any canines that smelled naturally like a field of flowers. It had given her some ideas about disguising her own scent for pranks and the like. Terra felt she needed to learn more about it from the wolves that had used it in the first place though. Hence Terra had set about trying to find the pack that held such great secrets. It had been a while since she'd come across either of them, so tracking the source had been difficult. She came across traces of a flowery scent where there should be none here and there, but nothing that particularly stood out.

By questioning some of the wolves she came across Terra learned about a secretive pack to the north. Perhaps this was the source that she was looking for. A pack that held secrecy so highly was sure to hold the knowledge about disguising one's scent. In high hopes Terra had set out, before finally coming across the borders. It had taken quite a while, causing the scent of her pack to fade slightly. It was still there, but told that it had been some days since she'd been nearby. The distance itself wasn't that far, rather the reasoning for the time involved how difficult it had been to track down the pack itself.

Impressed by the great secrecy Terra decided to test exactly how skilled this place of secrecy was. Terra had spent the short span of her life working on improving her stealth. Terra hadn't learned how to disguise her scent yet, but that was what she'd come for. Still, she trusted her ability, and bravely stepped over the borders. Terra was officially trespassing on pack territory. Laughing slightly to herself Terra wandered the inside of the borders, keeping it in sight in case she needed to make a bolt for it. Feeling rather pleased with herself Terra found a small hollow in a rock and squeezed herself in. From there she watched to see who would come along following the scent of a stranger.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.terrra p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.terrra p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was totally exhausted after work. WC 300+

The Russian wasn’t looking for trespassers today – at least, not actively like she did on her patrols, but find one she would, as fate had deemed for her. That afternoon Liliya thought she might do a bit of productive relaxation and went fishing. It was a task that she was skilled at and would benefit her people immensely, whilst lolling the hard working woman in a moment of leisure. The waters were growing cold but that hardly did anything to the rushing Pictou; the fish almost seemed to prefer it now. So there she spent her afternoon, baiting lines and catching fish. When she had three fattened, scaly floppers, she decided to call it a success and pack up.

Relaxed, Liliya wasn’t on the look out for strangers as she rolled up her poles and strung the fish together. She fit the poles into a sling on her back and slung the slimy fish over one shoulder, her other hand lugging the fishing net she decided not to use. Her thoughts wandered as she paced away from the river, but it wasn’t long until her senses prickled at the edges of her consciousness and she suddenly became distinctly aware of something amiss.

Liliya stopped, her flat gray eyes peering around but she did not see anyone. She sidled over to a rock and set the fish down, all senses on the alert. Someone was nearby, she couldn’t see them, but she could tell by the stillness of life in the area. Ears flicked, nose twitched. Not only was someone trespassing in Salsoa but the fact that Liliya had a fresh bounty to protect was additional offense.

With the fish set aside she could not focus on her nose, the acrid kills not drowning out the sense anymore. She worked and finally caught the scent of something misplaced… something canine. Her hackles prickled and lip crumpled back in annoyance as she carefully paced the steps the intruder had taken before, drawing her entrails-encrusted gutting knife from her waist band.

“Whoever is there show yourself now.” She demanded in her thick Russian accent. “You are trespassing on Salsoa ground. Comingk out now vhould be the only smart thingk you have done today.”

[/html]
[html]
OOC

It had taken a while before the passing canine had noticed her scent. Terra had grinned at her confusion, watching the wolf try to locate her with the fish clouding her nose. It would have been much easier with the fish. When she finally did put them down Terra stepped out gently, careful to make sure the girl didn't stand between her and the border. It could be death if she did. Terra didn't doubt her abilities to escape, but with the border blocked she'd be forced further in, and whoever found her would kill her.

I wouldn't say coming out's the only smart thing I've done. Terra knew she was trespassing, but that didn't keep the mischievous grin from her face. She'd reached her goal, even if it wasn't the way she'd expected. After all, I managed to find this secret pack. Salsola, did you say? You're the ones who know how to disguise your scent, aren't you. Casually Terra sat down, lazily scratching at a spot on her back. The knife didn't concern her, having been in situations with a lot more danger. That didn't mean she'd be difficult to kill, just that the scale of danger was smaller for her. Terra had stared death in the face more times than she could count, and this small encounter was just one more tick in the count.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc As I mention in all threads, if me writing in Liliya's Russian accent becomes difficult or annoying to read let me know. WC 300+

Just great. She’d been hoping for a rare, relaxing afternoon and she got this. Some smart ass trickster thinking she was so clever for trespassing on Salsoan soil.

Liliya’s paces stopped and she carefully surveyed her surroundings again when Terra emerged from her hide out. The fur on the back of her neck beneath her pony tail prickled, hackles rising in irritation. Not only did she have the gall to intrude, but she didn’t even have the decency to be sorry for it. Liliya’s eyes flashed above Terra’s head, peering at the open space beyond, and she realized why. The little bitch thought she could outrun Liliya. Her lip curled again.

“Salsoa’s existence is no secret,” she said, trying to take her down a notch. “We are known in this land, and we are well known because it is a fair warningk to ‘visitors’ to keep out.” Her last words were accompanied by a rumbling growl.

“The people of Salsoa know many things,” she adjusted the knife in her hands. She didn’t know the art of the scent-masking skill, but she suspected she could gut a Luperci just as well as she could gut a fish. But… Did she have it in her? Her days in Salsoa had hardened her, and she was becoming more like her pack with each moment. Still, she wasn’t sure that it was within her nature to ruthlessly slay another Luperci just on the grounds of stupidity. With a flick, the knife returned to its place at her waist. She had another idea… after all, everything in Salsoa belonged to Salsoa.

“Vhat is your name, girl? And vhy have you come here against all sense? Are you trying to pry on the pack, hmm? There is only one way to be findingk out the secrets, you know.”

[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra snorted at the wolf's words. So I suppose everyone knows how you disguise your scent as you wander about? That was something she was positive few knew about. If everyone knew that the canines who walked around with the disguised scent belonged to this pack there would be no point. Terra hadn't tracked down Salsola, the pack everyone knew about. She'd tracked down the pack that had put effort into keeping hidden. There was a difference, if not one many would notice. Cocky Terra glanced at the girl. She'd put away the knife, so the worst of the danger was over. Terra had passed over the line between a fight and peace at some point. She relaxed slightly. Terra wasn't quite sure what had made the girl change her mind, but if it let her keep her skin she was all for it.

The promise of secrets was tempting, but there was something new in the female's voice. It was almost a lie, though everything she said was true. Terra knew with certainty the girl was hiding a fact from her, but she didn't know what. She already knew there were several secrets in this pack, so picking out which one was the one the girl held would be nearly impossible. Tilting her head she considered the questions. I'm Fleta. I came because I seek knowledge that your pack holds. Terra stood up at this point, pacing slightly in the small space. What way is it exactly to gain these secrets?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
200+

Could she do it? Could she do it like the Dark Lady had done it? Oh, yes, Liliya thought. Visions of her enslaved mother passed through her mind, of how the woman didn’t know she was a slave, of how her family had been wronged that day and how Liliya would forever give to Salsoa because of it. With more servants her mother would have to bare less of a burden. And this one, this attitude… oh yes, she could.

Liliya noticed the gentle relaxation of the girl’s muscles with shrouded glee. Sheathing the knife had garnered her a little trust with the girl. She took a step forward to close the gap between them, a smile playing across her tawny muzzle. The pacing trespasser introduced herself, and Liliya nodded firmly. “I am Liliya.” She had no way of knowing that the pacing girl had lied, that her name wasn’t really Fleta. What she did know was that she was quite persistent for knowledge. This could be good.

“I do not know the stealth art that you ask about,” it was the truth, but only because the truth could work in her favor. “But many here do. If you are wantingk the secrets of Salsoa and are willingk to dedicate yourself to the pack, you could learn them. But I vhill not tell you such things now. If you are adamant, I could be takingk you to someone who vhill.”

She took another step forward, extending her free hand in the universal sign of peace, offering a hand-paw shake.

[/html]
[html]

This was wrong. The girl's open acceptance spooked Terra, making her back away from the open hand. One eye stared at the borders, measuring the distance. She wasn't sure what was being planned, but she wouldn't be taken in like that. The words about dedication to the pack sounded like a recruitment. Her ears pricked at the words that more pack members knew the secret of disguising their scent. Sadly the girl she faced did not. There would have to be another way to get the knowledge.

To make matter's worse, Liliya told Terra to follow her into the territories. It was supposedly to meet someone who could teach her, but the feeling was wrong. Liliya didn't feel relaxed like she should have been. Terra kept her body from giving herself away, the only sign that something was wrong the space she'd put between them. She still wanted the knowledge though. Terra wouldn't give up. Head cocked to the side she considered her options. Terra had no problems lying about allegiance to the pack, but she wasn't willing to leave the borders to do that.

Of course! There was a very simple way to do this. Just like how she'd joined Cour des Miracles, Terra would run through the stance of a prospective member. This meant she'd have to leave the boundaries, but if she apologized Terra was sure it'd be taken in stride. Standing on the border now Terra gently inclined her head. Your invitation is very gracious, but I'm not sure if I should join this pack. It seems too easy for the pack I worked so hard to find. There must be more required for joining it than this? Don't we need to call a leader or something?

<style type="text/css">
.xmas-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#FFFF00; letter-spacing:1px; }
.xmas-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.xmas-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.xmas-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... G_4177.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "Palatino Linotype", serif; font-size:12px; color:#FFFFFF; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.xmas-01 b:before { content: open-quote; }
.xmas-01 b:after { content: close-quote; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
300+

She was disappointed that the girl did not take the bait, but it also wasn’t much of a surprise. That kind of trick would have been too easy. She dropped her hand as Fleta backed away. Well, so much for that idea, she might as well go ahead and run her from the lands then. Yet before she made a move Terra retorted with something.

“Ahh,” she nodded, feeling irritated. “But that is vhat I told you I was doing, is it not?“ She raised an eyebrow. She thought the girl would figure that out when she said that she would take her to someone. Of course she had to be initiated first, what was she, one of the daft ones in Cour des Miracles or something? Liliya’s former pack had not been much on ceremony. Salsoa was rich with ceremony and tradition.

“If you are not here to join then you are a trespasser. You come to sneak on Salsoa to steal its secrets, not to help pack prosper,” her recital served to reinvigorate her original offense. As she talked a fire within her was fanned, and she stuck to her original plan rather than reverting to just running the girl off. Still her words weren’t spoken angrily, but measured and steady. It wasn’t until the day’s breeze delivered a sample of Fleta’s scent to her nose that she bristled.

It was familiar. A canine never forgot a scent, and this one struck a raw chord within Liliya. Funny that she had just mused about it… It was the trace of the Court. Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly. That was the last straw for Liliya. The woman had the gall to breech Salsoa’s borders, seek out their secrets, and not even act properly culled when she was called out.

The Russian lunged forward, just as skillfully as she would when fishing, and the net that was in her occupied hand flung forward. The ends opened up and the rope soared towards Terra. If she were caught in this trap in her lupus form it would be a challenge to escape. As the net flew through the air Liliya snatched her blade again and lunged forward to pin and disable Fleta, the poles attached to her back clattered with the sudden movement.

[/html]
[html]

Looks like we'll wrap up in a few posts after Terra's escape?

The change was unexpected. One moment Liliya seemed determined to lure her into the pack lands, the next moment she'd thrown a net at her and drew the knife. She had no idea what had changed, but she wasn't going to stick around to find out. She darted to the side, shocked by the change. The larger wolf was clearly mad. The net clung to her back legs. Kicking she desperately tried to untangle herself, dragging towards a nearby bush. Once inside she'd be hard to reach and could take the time to properly untangle.

It was a shame that Terra wouldn't be able to discover how they hid their scents. She'd just have to come back another time, preferably when there wasn't a maniac at the borders. Or maybe this pack was just for crazy people. Considering how all three of the representatives Terra had met seemed slightly unstable she could see that happening. If they truly were mad, it was a shame that they held the knowledge. She'd be forced to do quite the spectacular trick to get what she wanted from a crazy. Tucked into the bush Terra peered out fearfully. The net had woven around, her hind legs barely capable of moving. It would take time to get untangled. Until then she was a sitting duck.

<style type="text/css">
.xmas-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.xmas-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... G_4177.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "Palatino Linotype", serif; font-size:12px; color:#FFFFFF; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
200+

The net found its target but only partially as Fleta’s hind legs became tangled up. Liliya took advantage of the opportunity and lunged forward, plunging the knife downward, but the girl wriggled aside just a moment before her knife found skin. She had fallen to her knees to reach the woman on the ground, and the knife struck the dirt. She hissed with anger when her strike missed and her eyes darted to watch Fleta scramble under a bush.

“Trespasser can not hide from Salsoan in Salsoa!” She scrambled back to her feet and ran over to the bush, but in her larger Optime form she couldn’t slip into the same spot her target had. She dropped to her knees again and plunged her hand into the brush, grabbing for the woman. She would grab her by the nape and drag her out if she had to. Her pads brushed fur and she felt writhing muscle. She grabbed a hunk of the woman’s fur and started to pull but it was her own net that prevented her from dragging her out, part of it caught on a branch.

She growled and pulled out of the bush to plunge her other arm in, stabbing blind and wild with the knife.

[/html]
[html]

out of character text

Terra hadn't felt fear like this in a while. She laughed wildly, enjoying the plunge into danger. People often said they laughed in the face of danger, but she was actually doing it, not just claiming it. Facing death too many times had made her rather jaded towards such danger, even if she had no true defenses against it. She growled as the hand brushed against her, almost dragging her out. The net became a blessing in disguise, preventing that from happening.

The girl must have grown impatient with her efforts, because a knife was plunged in next. Terra let out a whine as it scraped against her muzzle, drawing blood. The knife kept on slashing, and Terra had an idea. She stretched out her hind legs, letting the knife catch on the net in between them. The wild stabbing prevented Liliya from calculating her movements, so the knife sliced through. Terra's legs were set free.

That didn't mean she was out in the clear yet. Terra twisted under the bush, writhing away from the hands that pawed at her. She found a gap on the other side and shot through. Is that really the best you can do? My grandmother could do better! Granted, her grandmother had been a member of a pack that specialized in trickery, so that wasn't saying much. Free for the moment Terra raced over the borders, hoping to lose her pursuer.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
200+

The knife found purchase and slashed across Terra’s face, and although Liliya couldn’t see it happen she knew it had by the feel of the hilt and the metallic odor that slowly seeped into the atmosphere. The scent of blood only served to fuel the savage within her and she began slashing more fervently, wildly. She couldn’t see what she was doing, and by a stroke of fate the next time the knife sliced down it chopped part of the net right in half, freeing the interloper. She saw Terra dart out of the other side of the bush and a guttural growl of anger rumbled in her chest.

She scrambled away from the bush and to her feet, chasing after Terra for several yards. The fishing poles still mounted in the sling on her back clattered and reminded her of their presence. Her legs pumped furiously to catch up to the brown and tan girl. One hand raised over her shoulder and yanked out one of her fishing poles. She couldn’t help a cackle of excitement as she realized the genius of what she was thinking.

A skilled fisherman, she had the pole righted in her hand and unraveled in a short minute. In an all out sprint she closed a bit of the gap between herself and Terra, and when she gauged the space to be small enough she flung the line as though casting it. It was by no means a lethal weapon, but the ragged hook meant for reeling in 20 pound fish could do some damage if it caught.

Fishing for trespassers! What an afternoon!

[/html]
[html]

She's lost it

Terra felt something sharp sting into her side. Surprised she glanced back. She hadn't seen the girl draw a bow, so what had hit her? Looking Terra realized a hook with string had sunk into her fur. Well, that wouldn't do. Terra wouldn't let herself be dragged back. With a quick flash Terra spun around, snipping through the string. It had slowed her, but Terra didn't even glance to see how close her pursuer was. With another burst of speed Terra hit some undergrowth, allowing it to swallow her. The girl wouldn't be able to spot her now.

Pleased with the twist Terra continued along, growling each time the hook snagged. It tore at her flesh painfully, but Terra had no clue how to get it out. The hook was sunk into her flesh, unwilling to relinquish it's grip. The wound itself was small, so at least Terra wouldn't have to worry about being attacked by predators. No, the problem was getting the hook out before it got really bad like the arrow head. No longer having the time to waste on pleasantries, Terra started jogging towards her pack. It was far, but with her out of the borders now hopefully Liliya would give up and let her exit with at least a little dignity. Alright, so it wasn't like she'd done anything undignified. If anything, she'd outwitted a member of the pack, something to be proud of. That didn't mean a good exit couldn't be ruined.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]