Pirates!
Ship Name: Ocean's Dishonor
Surviving Crew: 6 - 10 members; 11 deceased members
Ship Description: Chinese Junk, complete description is a work in progress.
Ship & Crew History: WIP
Available Ranks: Captain, Quartermaster, First Mate, Second Mate, Third Mate, Cabin Boy, Boatswain*, Carpenter*, Gunner*, Pilot*, Powder Monkey*, Sea Artist*, Striker* and Surgeon*.
* Can have more then one Luperci in that role.
Interest Shown · Taken · Available · Needs to be earned

Some of these rank may become Co-Ranks since pirates who held titles of first mate, second mate etc. were often really just experienced Pilots or Sea Artists. Also not all of these ranks need to be filled, you can have the same rank as another member out of the available options above.
Ranks that are not used were originally used by members of the crew that died and can be filled at a later date.

Rank Descriptions:
Captain: Most Captains command through skill and/or charisma. They are usually only tolerated if they win enough prize and booty for the crew and most are elected through vote. If a Captain falls in disfavor of their crew they are most likely to get marooned or thrown overboard. In most cases the Captain doesn't have the last say (except in the midst of battle). Important matters such as where the ship sails, is put into port or should engage in battle is not always up to the Captain but instead a majority ruling and if the Captain goes against the vote someone will take his place.
Quatermaster: Depending on the circumstances and the pirate ship the Quartermaster was the second in command. His main purpose was to distribute things (rations, powder, work, booty and punishment). The power is usually split between a Captain and his Quartermaster, the Captain leading the ship into battle and navigating where the Quartermaster led boarding parties and kept custody of all the prize and booty, witnessed duels and tried to keep peace. This rank is not available but may be earned.
First Mate: The First Mate is an officer that usually ranks just below the Captain (if there is no Quartermaster) and takes over for the Captain if he is killed in battle, etc. He is usually incredibly close and trusted by the captain and sometimes the crew (but not always).
Boatswain: The boatswain is in charge of a ship's anchors, cordage, colors, deck crew and the ship's boats, and would also be in charge of the rigging while the ship was in dock. This rank will require a lot of ship research.
Cabin Boy: The cabin boy waits upon the officers of the ship. In some instances he may act as the Captain's servant. The cabin boy will run messages and errands for the officers, do their mundane tasks, perhaps even fetches their dinner. Because he is an apprentice of sorts, he is also expected to learn all aspects of the maritime trade. The cabin boy works long hard hours.
Carpenter: Makes necessary repairs, filling holes if need be, and so on. Carpentry was an extremely useful skill onboard a ship. This rank will require ship carpentry research.
Gunner: Basically a member of the ship who is good with a gun. It takes years of practice to become a good gunner.
Pilot: The pilot is the man who steered the ship. He works with the navigator and captain to pilot the ship over the water. The pilot needed to know such aspects as the ship's draught (how deep she sat in the water) how wide the ship was and how sharply she could turn. In shallow waters, the crew would take soundings (checking the depth of the water) and it would be up to the pilot to either steer the ship or sometimes stand at the bow and relay orders back to the man at the helm which way to steer the ship. Sometimes the Captain will do this task. This rank will require a lot of sailing research.
Powder Monkey: A young member of the gun crew. Most are pressed into service, being kidnapped by press gangs and forced to serve aboard ship. Often the powder monkeys were young lads no more than eight to ten months old (Luperci equivalent of twelve to fifteen human years). They mainly assisted the gun crews and learned most of the ships basics but were paid little (if anything), treated poorly, and were expendable. If they managed to live a few years, they might eventually make it to a position of more importance on the ship.
Sea Artist: The ship's navigator. The sea artist was expert at reading and correcting charts, using navigational tools such as the cross-staff, backstaff, quadrant, and sextant (depending on time period). They were also expert at using dead reckoning methods for determining longitude. Some were also capable of determining longitude using lunar observations (taking lunars). This rank will require a lot of ship navigational research.
Striker: They are expert hunters who trapped sea turtles and manatees; fished for sharks and other large fish; and also hunted wild game when the the crew came ashore. Their knowledge of local plants aid in collecting edible fruits and vegitables as well as medicinal plants and herbs. This rank will require some deep-sea fishing and plant research.
Surgeon: Surgeons skills range from experienced surgeons kidnapped from other ships or on land to a member of a crew who can use a needle well. The skill level depends on the player and does not matter for the rank. Depending how much your character knows, this rank may require some surgeon and medicinal research.

Resources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_(ship)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Ocean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_prev...ds_on_earth.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_trade
http://rpguide.soulsrpg.com/soulsverse/travel/worldtravel/
http://pirates.hegewisch.net/capcrew.html#qm
I am not a maritime expert but I would say to ave them dock in Halifax that you would need to check out sea currents. I know there are some straits that luperci are unable to sail along because of the currents. After all even those that have ships aren't really all that advanced. So yeah, I'm not sure if the tides will allow them to dock in Halifax or not. Then you would want to consider where they come from and therefore the course of travel. Also, why would the not travel the normal route and dock in the port in Freetown where everyone else does? What would be the purpose of redirecting from the normal path to explore an unventured route? Was it even purposely done?
I've was thinking it over beforehand and I did say they would dock by Halifax, not exactly in Halifax since I'd have to research that more. My reasoning behind it is that they were attacked by another ship and had to find the closest piece of land for repairs and Halifax would be a pretty big landmark. Their ship would be actually a pretty decent size for about a crew of twenty but more than half of their crew would have been killed. I'm just trying to see who might be interested before I invest to much time hashing everything out.

Edit: Taken from portofhalifax.ca

Quote: Halifax's strategic location, efficient infrastructure and service have made it the preferred connection to Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. A North American gateway to the north eastern United States, Atlantic Canada and beyond.

With our ice-free harbour, deepest berths on the east coast, and ability to accommodate fully laden post-Panamax vessels the Port of Halifax has excellent operating and navigability advantages.
Quote: For over 250 years the Port of Halifax has remained a cornerstone of economic activity for the city, the region and the province as a whole. The Port's strategic location made Halifax an ideal Gateway into North America for settlers and shippers and a perfect vantage point for military operations.
The ship would be a pirate merchant carrier, which is a fast ship with maybe enough guns for the original size of their crew or a Chinese junk which is essentially the same type of ship but using bamboo sails.
I would totally and entirely be interested in making a temp charrie for this! :o Pirates ftw, whut! Big Grin

And just because it's the only role I know anything about, maybe I could play this crew's captain? ;D I have the perfect idea for 'im.
There is a port in... I can't remember... Barrington? Yarmouth? Either way, neither of those are near Halifax. one of those two. And I'm not sure what those boats are but make sure they are in accordance with the technology level that we have. This tell the types of ships that may be used. So you would need to think of the way that they navigate and if they can handle the water and not something that can be had now. Also you need to consider if there are any locks and consider that they won't be in use so that would make for harder and longer travel. If you look at the maritime routes the only one coming up to North America is from Barbados. All of the foreign ones go to Barbados so there must be some reason for that. And if coming from Barbados then why would you bypass a known port in the first place? I say that you have quite a bit of research ahead of you in order to make this plausible.
Like I said, I'm waiting for more interest before I work out the nitty gritty. Thanks for the input though. There is also a port in Halifax... So it is completely plausible for them to dock there and they will have been coming up from the south and won't be coming from across the sea. Also the ship wouldn't be technologically advanced. It would be powered by sails and oars. They wouldn't know any ports up North but they would be out at sea when attacked and the winds at this time of year blow west in that region from what I've read so they could have ended up near Halifax. It shall be so.
Woaah.

Sounds like a good idea, Frodo actually has a background with pirates (after being kidnapped by them, and used as a cabin boy/powder monkey, ooooh!), and his favourite and best activity is hunting; so Striker would be a perfect role for him :p

I don't know how he'd be able to stay loyal to his (future and hopeful) pack, but just as long as they get to travel back now and again I'll have a big think about this.. Tongue

Edit: also, Frodo isn't a hybrid, or coyote, he's pure wolf (but of mixed breeds of wolves). I don't know if this is a problem, because you requested only mongrels?
What you might really want to do is even make sure that you can do this before plotting things out at all. Temps are no longer being allowed right now. Everyone has to drop their characters by Dec. 2nd or they get forcibly dropped. So if you are serious about this then I suggest trying to obtain permission first and then actually try and get the basic details done so people know what they are working with since well, you need to know where you are coming from and all such as that.
That's what I'm trying to do right now.... if you've read any of my posts? o_O I'd prefer to get interest and details before asking permission so my request will get taken more seriously. One step at a time, I'm not rushing this.
I have read and that is why I suggested you do it. What is the point in getting everyone worked up and excited for something that may not come to pass because you didn't have the foresight to ask ahead and make certain that your idea is allowed to happen? If you weren't talking about temporary characters then I would so go ahead and garner interest before doing something with it but since it involves temporary characters you need that permission before you can do anything at all. Temporary characters are mainly used for large plots such as wars and not really for smaller, personal plots.
Just to say, I think I misread this at the start and I don't have time for another character, temporary or not, plus I haven't made my requirements for a second character yet.

So I'm out, I'm afraid.
I never promised anything. If people want to get excited about this I encourage them, it will probably make it more likely to happen. I plan on getting permission and getting more details from the admin about the proper way to go around this. I feel like our own conversation is kind of going in circles. Are you interested? :3
Danny you don't have to make a completely new character to be a part of this, you can still plot with us and even join the crew if that is what you want for your current character.
I was trying to help you succeed but you don't want my advice so not really. To me it just comes off as a remake of what has already been done before. There was already a pirate pack in 'Souls before. You haven't provided enough details to differentiate it in order to get my interest. Maybe if I know more about it but that is something you aren't interested in doing until you have everyone already jumping at the idea. I'm sorry, I need some thought out details in order to be interested in an idea. Right now I'm just like, 'Oh this person read about Syemv on the Wiki and wants to do that again.' and nothing saying it is your own idea.
I know that and I'm sorry if you think I'm not taking your advice. Your advice has been incredibly helpful but it takes time to hash out the details I need and I'm working on them now, that's what I've been trying to say. I wasn't aware the idea had been done before either, I'm quite new here and am just looking to see if anyone would be interested and willing to help come up with ideas, that's all.
-totally staying out of the conversation-

Like I said, count me in on this. Big Grin Captain Jessi Starling, reporting for duty!

.....if anyone catches onto the name, I give them a gold star. ;D
OOh, well in that case, still in :p I just thought you were only doing it with temporary characters ^^
I wish I knew! D: -makes grabby hands at gold star-

Well the plan was for the crew to dock, repair their ship and leave and anyone who wished to keep their characters and stay in 'Souls is free to do so. I'll make that more clear somewhere when I get more information together. :3
I know you are new and that is why wanted to make sure you had your affairs in order. With the birthday thing there was been talk of Syemv going around so I didn't know if you checked out the wiki after it came back up to see what people were talking about or not. As said, that was just my first impression since you didn't have any sort of details to show that it was going to be different and not simply a remake of what was already done. I'm one that like original ideas, or even old ideas but with some new and interesting twist to it. With what you have typed up I didn't see any of that and just saw 'Oh... they are doing the pirates thing again' because yeall, Halifax is eastern coast and Syemv settled on the eastern coast. Since you are talking about temporary characters then to me that is a cast that has to be created just for this, which pretty much happened with Syemv seeing as they were European.

But yeah, I'm just saying that I wouldn't like to say 'Hey, I want in on this.' only for nothing to end up happening. It's happened to me on a few occasions. So well, I like to make certain that affairs are in order first that way I'm not creating a character for everything to fall through because permission was never obtained. And really, that is just because of the temporary character thing. Now if everyone was working towards gaining an auxiliary character that they can later drop if they wish then I wouldn't be so concerned with it never coming to a head because then I know it is on me to do the work to be able to get the character and get it approved. With you wanting to use temps then that is on you to make sure that it can go through and there is nothing I can do about that. I like my fate being in my hands instead of waiting for someone else to get their affairs in order so that it will allow me to do what I need to.

I've joined in on the founding of some packs where I liked the basic concept and then when I found out the actual details I wasn't too thrilled with it any longer because the details differed from the impression that I had originally got. So I'm not sure if others are like that which is why I suggested getting out some more details and do a bit more fleshing so that others know exactly what they are signing up for.
Goodness gracious, the hostility here is astounding. Pretty damn funny that an older experienced player is trying to get one over on a new player. I, for one, am too afraid to post any ideas because I know they won't get anywhere with the way some of the members here like to dissect them before any planning has been done. Good for you, Melissa, for doing it anyway.

I read the first post and am going to say that yes, if this idea goes through, I'd like to participate. Of course more details are needed and things need to be hashed out more. That can't happen when arguments are happening over the fact that things need to be planned out more. Perhaps if only people who were interested in boosting this idea were to post in here, raising concerns about things that won't/or will work, things could move more smoothly.

Not trying to piss anyone off here, though I'm sure this will get deleted or I'll get chewed out somewhere, simply stating my concerns.

EDIT: LOL shadowposted, damnit. xD