Winter's Approach
Merlin wake up with a start as the strong gust of cool wind brushed over his brown fur. He sniffed up the fresh chill and rubbed his lightly rested eyes. He shook his head clear of the icy blast and slowly got to his feet. The cold night and stiffened his muscles and made him feel drowsy. He looked over at the black pile of soot that was left over last night’s fire. His eyes felt chilled and in pain so he rubbed them again. He reached over to the side of the cave and grabbed his silken scarf. He quickly wrapped it round his neck and began to move to the mouth of the cave. Before he even got outside, he could see the flood of snow that had entered his home. He sighed, at any other time he would be excited about the sight of snow, but right now, on this cold morning, the last thing he wanted was cold, wet ice lying over the forest. He walked outside and immediately covered his eyes from the violent rays of the bright sun over the ice. He walked further outside and scratched at the ground, the snow wasn't soft, it was icy and cold.
Merlin grumbled to himself on remembering that he hadn't eaten since last morning, and needed a suitable meal. He stumbled back into the cave to retrieve his knife and bag. He came back out and sighed again. "What animal would want to be outside on a day like this?" He asked himself.
He walked towards the forest entrance to begin his hopeless hunt.
Amy was curled up in her wagons, blankets covering her body. It was cold when she woke up, leaving her wishing that she'd decided to stay in the hotel with Alexandrea. She'd put the girl there to prevent escape and had stayed with the wagon to guard her supplies. If it wasn't for that Amy would happily be off romping with the first male that grabbed her attention. Sighing Amy stuck her nose out into the air. It was still cold. Shuffling Amy dragged herself over to a small pit she'd built, and started up a fire. Groggily she looked around the city. There was nothing there to grab her attention today, so the female decided to head out.

Rapidly Amy put her hair up into a stylish ponytail before throwing on a black slit skirt and a blue blouse. Her sword was thrown on and the daggers placed into the sheaths around her legs. Done with her brief preparations Amy set out to see if there was anything interesting. It was only a short distance into the forest when she smelled someone. Eager to find something to entertain her Amy raced after the smell, bursting out to find a wolf hunting through the trees. She'd completely ruined the chances of that with her barging in, probably terrifying any creatures within a decent distance. She didn't care. Good morning! How are you?
OCC: Yay a person!

Merlin was feeling dizzy, whether it was moving through the cold forest, or the strength of his hunger. His eyes stung, he dreaded why, an infection probably. He heard rustling in the bushes, and groan silently. As much as he loved company, this wasn't his time or place to meet another wolf. Whoever it was they didn't mind scaring off any chance of food a hundred miles any way.
"I'd hardly call it a good morning" Merlin mumbled. He suddenly realised being moody wasn't the best first impression, but he was too weak to care about impressions. "Winter’s defiantly entering with a performance." He sighed deeply, and clenched his hands together for warmth. He watched as his breath cooled into a cloud as it left his mouth. He prayed that the afternoon would be warmer; otherwise he worried about his health. He smiled briefly at the she-wolf and leaned against a frozen tree. The floor was covered in cold ice, so sitting down would be comfortable.
Amy looked at the poor wolf. He was really weak, something she hadn't expected. That meant she'd have to be gentle unless she wanted him to break. Cocking her head to the side she considered his words. I suppose that's to be expected this time of the year. It's not exactly July. Amy didn't care one way or the other, as each season brought certain sales to her. Right now Amy could sell a wealth of furs, clothes, and blankets, items often sold to her in the summer. It was almost like they didn't look ahead.

She strode over to him, examining his form with critical eyes. She was feeling a little cold, but Amy had the option of crawling into a blanket. She'd chosen to come out like this, enjoying the feel of the brief chill in her fur. Don't you have anything to wear? Amy understood that the savages enjoyed running around naked, but if he was cold she thought he'd have the sense to put something on.
Merlin looked slowly down at himself, feeling slightly embarrassed, he was wearing leather pants, but they were the only clothing he had ever possessed, that and his scarf. "Not much, Everything I have I'm wearing." Merlin chuckled slightly, warming his chest for a split second. While the female was examining him, he felt that he ought to examine her.
She was younger than him, about a year or so younger. Her fur was a light yellow, almost like the colour of honey. Her eyes were dark brown and she wore warm looking clothes, she obviously had a lot more wealth than Merlin.
Merlin never really cared much for wealth, living off the land was his way of life, and money never crossed his mind. If he needed money, he might be able to sell a couple of his paintings for a few coins. Merlin felt himself slowly warm up, possibly because the strong cold breezes had passed.
"You don't look like you'd live in the forest, are you some sort of traveller?" Merlin tried his best not be rude, he would hate to anger someone on a day like this, so if she preferred to keep information to herself, Merlin would solemnly agree and back off, it was how Merlin made conversation, always making sure the wolf he was talking to didn't feel timid or awkward.
Amy smiled happily. It seemed there might be some benefit to her wandering. Amy didn't collect coins, finding their value thin. Instead she took objects and knowledge. What she loved the most though, was favors. They were the ones people hated to pay, obligations hanging over their heads until she came for them.

She chuckled at the wolf's questioning tone. He seemed rather hesitant, as if afraid of offending her. It was something she was used to from Europe. Those that crossed her usually died-painfully. It was a little surprising to encounter that tone in a place she'd come to escape it, but it took all kinds in this world. After all, there had to be canines to serve her. No, I don't come from these woods. I'm a merchant. I travel to different packs trading things.

Amy cocked her head at the male before her. He had admitted to being short on clothes, something that she could help rectify. For a price, of course. If you'd like, I could get you some clothes. They'll definitely be helpful with winter setting in. It sounded like an open offer, but Amy could change so quickly if she sensed there would be no reward for her deal.
He smiled, grateful of her offer, "It is a fine offer," He began, "But such an offer must come at a price, and as you can probably guess, I'm not one for having money." He looked at the she-wolf; she was clean and well dressed, so it was clear that she had much money, enough to live on.
He thought about the offer again, those cloths could well save his life. But again, at what price? He had artwork, but not many were interested in that trade, the only other valuable item he possessed was an antique music box.
He had found it when exploring the rubble of old cities; he was scraping through brick when it glowed in sight as the sun reflected its rays onto it. When Merlin found it, it was clean and golden in colour; it had a ribbon of different colours of gems across its rim.
But it was a personal possession of Merlin’s, and he would only give it up if his life depended on it. "So, what it your price for the cloths?"
She smiled. The male had understood her words. Amy's nose crinkled in confusion at the mention of money though. Amy had heard of such things being used in Europe, but she had had no use for it herself. Amy preferred her collection of trade, open and acceptable anywhere she went. While coin was used in few countries, bartering could be found anywhere. That made it the more acceptable, more profitable route to take. Especially since she didn't trade in items alone.

Glancing at the sky Amy ran her mind over what she could give the wolf. She had some wool blankets that would definitely be valuable, as well as a scarf and some shirts that could block out the cold. My price tends to vary. The cheapest one would be a single tidbit of something that I don't already know, or some food. The most expensive would cost a promise to do something in return if we meet again, or an unusual object that is rare in the area, like craft work or something from when humans were alive.
He heard it coming, an 'unusual object'. "If it's an unusual object, then I might have something worth something to you." He stopped in though, the music box was precious, Merlin used to play it to cheer himself up or to put him in an artistic mood. But these clothes would be more than useful. After all, he couldn't keep warm with a music box.
"It's a music box; I found it in the rubble of old human territory. It's old, but probably valuable." He then thought about his artwork, as the artist he tended not to think highly of his work, but others seemed to appreciate them as 'Art'.
"Also, if it interests you, I have quite a few artworks, homemade by me, but they're pretty genuine, or at least some think so." He gazed up and thought about the quality of each, the paper they're on is only second-rate, but the paint used was good, it wasn't just berry juice, it was good paint from old human settlements.
The musicbox was an unexpected offer, though one she was quick to seize upon. Amy opened her mouth to reply, just to hear further good news. Art? She looked at the wolf candidly. Art in any form was valuable. She'd definitely be taking that if the quality was good. Of course, she'd have to show that she had worthwhile things as well.

Your payment is more than enough. Wait here while I get you some clothes. Silently she allowed her self to fade back into the woods, moving with the grace gained by her training as an assassin. Ghost-like she passed through before arriving at her wagon. With taste she picked out items for the customer. A gray sweater, and a blue one as well. Her single scarf, with stripes of red. Added to the pile of treasure was a single deer pelt. It was not top quality, but it could be altered according to the wolf's needs, and at the worst be used as a simple blanket. It was better than nothing.

The items bundled under her arm Amy just as swiftly returned. With care she placed the offered items on the ground before the wolf. For the musicbox, and three artworks. It was a fair bargaining by her reckoning. Many would love to possess such a treasure, and the art could always be sold as a present or decoration.
Merlin smiled with relief that she liked his offer. When she explained that she'd be going back to where ever she kept the clothes, Merlin waited, still against the tree and with his arm wrapped around himself.
When she returned, she brought a pile of assorted cloths and furs. He smiled again, welcoming her return. "Thank you; wait her while I go get the payment." He pushed himself away from the tree and rushed back, following the faint footprints in the snow that he had made earlier. He was far from the cave, which wasn't too much of a surprise, the morning had been brutal and going far from home wasn't a good idea.
He quickly scurried over to the single wooded chest he found and kept as storage for all of his artworks and his music box. He dug through all of the practise paintings until he got to the real artwork.
First he got out the painting he did on the beach, it was clean, and the paper was straight and unharmed by wrinkles. He placed it down before picking out the next one, it was one he did of the forest entrance, looking outside of his cave, it was his second proudest work, and he used real paint for the colours and shadings. Then he got out the one he was most proud of, it was the view from the top of the cliff just above his cave home. He spent two days up there working on this painting so that it was top quality. He used to look at it for inspiration before starting another painting. He took out a few more less genuine paintings just in case and finally dug his way to the music box, sitting at the bottom of the chest. He gentle opened it to check for flaws or broken parts, but was relieved to find it still intact from when he found it. He turned it over to its base and twisted the small metal bar that produced its music. It slowly played a soft tune, ringing gently in Merlin's ears. He closed the box and placed it, and all of the chosen paintings in a leather pack. He then jumped to his feet, feeling slightly warmer because of the running, and rushed back to the she-wolf.
He smiled at her and placed down his pack and unravelled its contents. He placed the paintings gently in a row for her to choose from and then placed the music box behind them. "What do you think? Any here that are worth trade?"
Amy examined the paintings with an expert's eye. She may not know what effort was put into the art, or how a real artist would value it. What she did know was what would sell. The picture of the beach was quite nice. She pulled it out and added it to her side of things. Eying the other art pieces was more difficult. The one at the top of a cliff was certainly the best, but it wouldn't sell well at all. No, the one peering out through the cave was better, and she added another that looked through a forest.

These paintings will do. Delicately she picked up the music box. Holding it up she wound it. Her breath was held in anticipation. Sure enough, soft clear notes filled the clearing. Amy's eyes sparkled with wonder. It was so beautiful, and so rare. She was lucky that he hadn't demanded a higher price for it. Not that she was going to inform him of exactly how valuable it was. Amy was honest in her trade, and always gave exactly what was asked of her. That didn't mean she didn't overcharge people. It just meant that it was difficult to hold her to blame.

Tail wagging Amy looked over at the wolf. You certainly have some skill painting. I suggest you continue. The male probably didn't need her encouragement, but she gave it anyways. She was that glad of the trade. Sitting down on the ground Amy glanced over at him. Have you been here long? Amy was in no hurry. She had time to sit and visit. It would keep her from growing bored.
Merlin was almost relieved that she didn't want the cliff painting, so he could still keep it as inspiration. Once the female had chosen what she wanted he slowly went over to the clothes. He examined each, and eagerly put on the grey sweater. It was warm, almost like it was heated by a flame. He smiled with relief and gratitude as the warmth filled his body, he wasn't completely warm, but he felt so much better than a few minutes ago.
He was happy that she liked the paintings, "I do get a lot of encouragement of people, some say that I should join the Cercatori D'Arte pack, but I feel more free out of a pack, it gives me more inspiration for art being a Loner. Thank you anyway, for the clothes, and the encouragement."
He looked around the winter's beauty had suddenly formed after Merlin's body heat had returned. The new happiness in him had triggered the revel of the forest's frost. The snow was glittering like crystals and the plain white ice was shimmering the faint rays of the sun.
"I'm 4 years old right now, I began living alone after my father died when I was around a year old." He stopped for a moment to remember his father's sacrifice, which he quickly shock away, "I'm Merlin." He thought she might as well know his name; they'd met for long enough for introductions.
Amy listened with interest. So this loner was older than her. She wasn't surprised to hear that he'd turned down joining a pack. Many of those who bought from her were loners needing supplies they couldn't get otherwise. Packs tended to be more independent, needing less of her things. Sure, she did sell them furs and the like. But it wasn't the same as the sales given by a loner. They were desperate, living on the edge. Amy was the one they clung to in those times.

She nodded politely at his name. I'm Amy. It seemed that the boy was simply going to talk about mundane things now that his needs were filled. That was almost a disappointment. She was much more interested in things like pain and pleasure. The empty chatter gave her none of that. Still, she was a lady, so she would sit and listen. I'm about a year younger than you. It's very nice to meet you, despite the cold.
Merlin could see if he chattered on about his life she would sure get bored of it. She didn't look like the listening type, no offence to her though. He smiled at her introduction, "Amy, glad to meet you too."
He knew she looked younger; she had a brighter fur, more young and fresh, it almost made Merlin feel old. A sudden slight pain stuck in Merlin's stomach, all of this company and trading had made him forget of his hunger. He smelt the air to check of any close animals. To his surprise, there was a hint of deer in the air. Merlin was confused, why would a deer get so close to wolves?
He looked over at Amy, "Wait a moment, I think I smell Breakfast." He quickly but quietly dashed off into the direction of the deer.
When he was in sight of the deer, he climbed a short distance of a nearby tree, carefully placing his feet on strong branches. He looked over at the deer. It was a fawn, probably lost its mother in the cold. Merlin felt a little sorry or ending its life, but for all he knew this could be the only available meal in the snow. He waited until the fawn's head was turned, and then he flung his knife at the back of the fawn's head.
A clean kill, ending the fawn's life quickly and painlessly. He rushed down the tree and retrieved his knife from the little dead deer. He wished he hadn't killed it, but it probably would have died in the cold anyway. He grabbed the fawn's legs and swung them over his back and returned to Amy.
He was feeling warmer because the sudden rush of a hunt, and a lot more happy then he was at the beginning of the day.
"Hungry?" He asked Amy dropping the fawn down and smiling with success.
Amy watched Merlin rush off with a disinterested gaze. It didn't matter to her what the man was doing. The words of breakfast were encouraging, but hunting was easier said than done. The wolf returned with a dead fawn. She was surprised to see that it was so young, but the meal was definitely welcome. Amy didn't hunt herself, being preoccupied with more complex things in life. Sure, Amy could easily bring down a deer and the like. She just considered it a waste of her resources when they were better spent getting slaves and hunting down those who betrayed her.

Smiling she knelt down in the snow, the blood staining it red. Amy drew one of her daggers from it's sheath and neatly sliced it open. The warm flesh steamed as it was exposed to the cold. I am, thank you. With care she carved the fawn up, slicing it into chunks they could easily eat. Amy made sure not to stain her fur with the blood as she worked, making her movements slower than they could have been. It was done though, and Amy lifted the liver to her mouth. Swallowing it down she smiled. That was her favorite part next to the heart, so tender and juicy.
(OCC:Sorry about the wait, been out with family for a week.)

Merlin waited patiently as Amy took what she wanted from the deer, her delicate manner made Merlin nervous, he didn't normally eat with many manners, since he was alone, he saw no need to.
He took out his knife and cut into the deer's shoulder and removed some of the muscle, it smelt fresh and clean, which made Merlin even hungrier. He took slow bites out of the muscle, as if not to disgust Amy.
In a way, he feared Amy, she looked powerful and not someone who enjoyed sarcasm or jokes very much. She had, what Merlin thought of as, a serious nature.
"Thanks again for the clothes, I probably wouldn't of lasted long without them." he said after finishing two shoulder muscles of the deer. He rubbed his fingers along the soft surface of the sweater he was wearing, it felt warm to touch. He realised that the clothes he wasn’t wearing were still on the cold floor. He quickly gathered them up and placed them carefully in his now empty sack. He picked up the paintings Amy didn't want and placed them on top of the clothes. He then put down the sack next to a tree and began cutting into the deer again, making sure to go slow and allow room for Amy to take more if she wanted some.
Amy picked her way through the meat, choosing the best and most delicate parts. It didn't slow her down, as she was used to eating this way, allowing her to match Merlin bite for bite. The meat really was quite good, as expected from such a young fawn. It was a shame she didn't get to eat this more often, but no baby deer meant no more deer in the future, so Amy would wait patiently and eat the deer that she could. She didn't want her meat supply to run out. It wasn't that she cared about the others, but that she believed that she could single handedly alter the flow of meat, and was too disturbed by the idea of no more deer to eat.

She grinned as Merlin thanked him for the clothes. It was my pleasure. Your paintings will be worth a lot to me. Not to mention the musicbox. She could make a small fortune off of that alone, worth way more than the clothes she'd traded away. Amy selected a few more pieces of the deer to take with her. She'd preserve them with the spices she had in her wagon. Standing up Amy stretched. It was pleasant meeting you. Done Amy dismissed the wolf from her mind, and turned to walk back to the ruined city.