Diggin' up bones
[html]

For Kiara! Sorry it took so long. ^^; Hover for translation!

Word Count → 332

Swentzle had heard little of the packs up here, and though he was interested in joining one, no one seemed to have any information--or, at least, they weren't willing to share such information. So Swentzle had packed up his wagon and hitched Hamza up, and headed North, to collect information. He'd gone first to Drifter Bay, but after meeting Wolfgang near the Inferni borders, he'd changed course, heading up into the mountains. Halcyon, he believed they were called; he didn't know why. The terrain was hell on his feet, and Hamza continually refused to keep going whenever he caught the fancy. The trip up to Ichika's borders was anything but peaceful.

Now that he was there, however, he found himself thinking it had been worth the trip. Fovea, at least, was quite happy to be in her natural habitat again; she kept slinking off into the rocks, though he'd been sure to warn her not to cross the borders into the pack lands themselves. Swentzle took up a spot on a rock, and pulled his foot over his knee to make sure he didn't have any rocks or splinters in his paw pads. Then he rubbed his aching feet, heaving a sigh that was echoed as Hamza folded his legs underneath himself and dropped to the ground. Swentzle counted himself lucky that the wagon wasn't still hitched up to the bison, as he could go without chasing his supplies up and down the mountain side.

At that moment, Fovea, who'd been stealthily slinking her way behind him, let out a yowl and pounced on his back, sending him tumbling to the ground with a yelp. She wrapped her jaws around the back of his head playfully, and he could feel her shifting her weight around on his back, her claws kneading his wrap. Hamza bellowed his annoyance, and Swentzle merely sighed; Fovea hadn't been this playful since she was a kitten. She must really be enjoying the mountainous countryside. Duno, Fovea.

Table by Aly, code by the Mentors!

<style>
.swentzle-fieldsofgold { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/kmHKk.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#93d7fa; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 300px 0px; color:#555555; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold b {color:#FFFFFF; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .wordcount {color:#555555; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}

</style>
[/html]
[html]

Small pp on your cat. Let me know if you want me to change this.

Word Count → 389

It had been some time since Kiara had ventured to the boarders of Ichika. Although she had crossed through the boarders several times, the snow wolf had never taken the time to familiarize herself with the boarders themselves. The enterprise provided Kiara not only a break from puppy sitting, but a chance to hunting for some food. As Kiara traveled along the well marked boundary, a familiar and nostalgic scent wafted through the air. Bison. Oh how she missed the taste of bison. The snow wolf had grown up in an area where that was heavily populated by bison herds, making them the easy target for a pack of wolves. With the enticing smell dragging her quickly through the mountains, it was not long before Kiara's mouth began to water in anticipation. If there was a bison wandering through the pack lands, then it would be a simple matter to call the other pack members to assist her in the hunt

Sapphire eyes appeared through the bushes and Kiara's heart sank when she saw what lay just beyond the boarder. The bison that Kiara had been looking forward too, was resting just a few paces away from dark colored luperci. It was obvious, even to the thick-headed Kiara, that the bison belonged to the luperci. No prey animal could sit that close to a wolf unless they were raised by one. The arctic wolf was about to turn around when a tan glint caught her eye.

A cougar attack! Kiara was not about to stand by and let such a thing occur. As the small male tumbled to the ground, Kiara dashed forward and used every ounce of her strength to knock the overgrown cat away from the stranger. Kiara planted herself firmly between the mountain lion and the wolf. The snow wolf's heckles raised giving her already muscular body an even bigger appearance. She kept her ears forward and her eyes locked on the cougar. Kiara's tail was high in the air and every hair stood on end. Her lips pulled back to reveal a row of sharp teeth and a warning growl pierced the air. "Back off, cat." The alabaster woman was by no means large; but like most arctic wolves, Kiara was fast and strong. She was confident that she could chase off the mountain lion.

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.kiaratree .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

No worries! Big Grin

Word Count → 324

Swentzle was just about to wrestle his way out of Fovea's playful hold when another wolf appeared, and she was forcibly knocked off his back. The young feline yowled and sprang back to her feet, her head and tail high and looking as though she were poised to run. Swentzle scrambled to his feet, turning in a slow circle as the blood rushed to his head and his already faulty sight went out completely. Fovea yowled again as the unfamiliar canine spoke, and then he heard the scrambling sound of rocks clattering together as she took off, most likely to find a hiding place while he dealt with her attacker. Swentzle held out his hands, having the odd feeling that he was completely turned around, and flattened his ears against his head.

Please, she meant no harm, He said, and then felt himself wobble as vertigo kicked in, and he was forced to sit down. She is my companion, He continued, as he felt his way to the rock he'd been sitting on before and tried to blink the spots out of his eyes. He held out a hand, and lifted his ears hesitantly to listen for any signs of the Mountain Lion's return. Fovea! Fovea, omnia bene!" After a moment's pause, when there were no footsteps, he sighed and ran his hand over his eyes, then attempted to focus on the brilliant white wolf, his hands folded in his lap.

I am sorry for the trouble, He said, and his tone was deeply ashamed. Fovea has not been in mountains such as these since she was very young. Swentzle looked up at her again, and added, I must thank you, for coming to my aid. I had forgotten I was close to a pack. He rose, and performed a small half-bow, before he straightened again and folded his arms. If I may ask--are these the borders of Ichika No Ho-en?

<style>
.swentzle-fieldsofgold { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/kmHKk.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#93d7fa; width:500px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:10px 0px 300px 0px; color:#555555; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.swentzle-fieldsofgold p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
.swentzle-fieldsofgold .wordcount {color:#555555; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #8c8c8c; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 303

As the large feline ran off Kiara was overcome with a sense of accomplishment. She had not expected to win the fight so quickly, nor had she expected to get off without so much as a scratch. Not only that, but Kiara had managed to save a canine from the unthinkable demise of being eaten by an overgrown cat. Or so Kiara thought. Kiara stepped out of her defensive crouch with a triumphant "HAH!" The alabaster woman watched with an inherent glee as the tawny coat disappeared off into the distance. She did not even notice the strangers struggle behind her.

Kiara turned to face the stranger and was immediately struck by his words. Although the males tone was not scolding, it still felt like she had been smacked in the face. Realizing what she had done, Kiara's tail and ears dropped. The snow wolf watched as the luperci stumbled and ran to help him. She wanted to at least do something right. The luperci's movements were strange, and reminded Kiara of one of the Ichika elders. Perhaps he too was blind. Kiara stood next to him apprehensively as the male spoke in a strange dialect.

"I'm so sorry, I did not mean...are you okay...that is..." For once, the arctic wolf was at a loss for words. She had not only tried to hunt down this males bison, but she had scared off his companion as well. Kiara felt truly ashamed and when she spoke, her voice was quite, like a chastised child. Kiara took a few steps back as the man rose from his seat and bowed. The arctic wolf returned his bow in kinda, even if she wasn't sure he could see it. "Ah, yes. My name is Kiara Amarok. I am the pack's Ikusei. I... how can I help you?"

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry about the wait! ^^;

Word Count → 374

Her moment of triumph was short lived, and Swentzle was briefly ashamed of that; it was not often such feelings coursed through one's veins, and to find them false shortly after was like being cheated. He murmured quietly his thanks as she rushed to his aid, and smiled briefly at her stammering. "It's perfectly fine. I am sure she will return shortly; and you cannot be faulted for wishing to help me when I seemed to be in danger; you should be commended for it." He paused a moment to see if he could hear Fovea, but there was none of her familiar grumbling sounds, so he continued, "I am perfectly fine, now." With another small smile.

She answered his question in a somewhat chastised tone, and he wanted to reach out and assure her, in some way, that she'd done no wrong; but it wasn't his place, as he didn't know her, and so he simply crossed his arms carefully over his chest. Kiara gave her name, and a title he didn't recognize; he nodded anyway, and took a moment to choose which words he would say. "I am Swentzle Byström. I am a loner, from the far south...but I am looking for a pack, as my abilities are...hindered." He couldn't do much while he was blind, except the motions he was accustomed to--he couldn't even hunt for himself, an incapacity which had disheartened him even as Fovea had taken up those responsibilities alone. They'd once been a team, but no more; he missed those days.

Shaking the melancholy thoughts from his head, he ran a hand through his hair, and continued, "I have heard things of the packs here, but very little. I had hoped to learn more, and make an informed decision." He didn't like going into things blind--no pun intended--especially considering, in a past life, he'd been the one who helped the Yawa make his decisions. Information was vital, and he didn't want to make a mistake that he would regret for the rest of his life. It wouldn't be as simple as moving packs; once he committed himself to something, he would stick to it, until he was no longer able to perform.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
[html]

NP

Word Count → 437

It seemed as if the mountain lion would not return any time soon. Kiara had accomplished her goal, she drove off the cougar away for good. This realization made her feel even worse than before. Kiara could feel the guilt heavy in her chest and a knot seemed form in her throat. Even Swentzle's kind words did not seem to cheer the arctic wolf up. Kiara had done Swentzle a great injury by driving off his companion, so she needed to repay him in any way possible.

The snow wolf took a moment to glance up at Swentzle only to regret the action immediately. Her heart dropped. The male's pose was similar to a pose Kiara had sometimes seen Shiloh assume. Whenever Sarian misbehaved, Shiloh would cross her arms and scold the young pup. The she-wolf had come to recognize this stance as a disapproving one, and the fact that Swentzle had his arms folded only made Kiara feel even worse.

Swnetzle's inquires about Ichika cheered Kiara up a little bit. More than anything, Kiara loved her pack and enjoyed sharing her experiences with anyone who would listen. If this male was looking for a pack then Kiara would do her best to show Ichika no Ho-en in the best light possible. "Ichika no Ho-en is a great pack, the members are all nice and there are many feasts. Many of the canines in Ichika are really spiritual, but the thing they value most is peace and family." Kiara had to pause for a minute and think before she continued to speak. "What do you mean by 'hindered'?" Although Kiara had guessed that Swentzle was blind, she did not associate his disposition as a disability. There was a blind member in Ichika who, as far as Kiara knew, was able to perform her duties well.

When it came down to disabilities, many considered Kiara disabled as well. She, unlike so many canines, was not able to shift. Even when Kiara was trying to join the pack herself this had been an issue. Although Razekiel did not dwell on the topic too much, the strange coyote had stated that Kiara would have difficulties in the pack. At the time Kiara did not fully register the meaning of Razekiel's statement, but now it seemed almost painfully obvious. Without the ability to shift, Kiara was not able to build or craft. She could not ride horses or open doors. Even during the Samhein festival, Kiara was unable to fully participate in the pack activites. The young wolf wondered if perhaps Swentzle was similar to her, stuck in a single form.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

occ here

Word Count → 450

Swentzle couldn't see her reaction to his change in position, but if he could he'd feel even worse; crossing his arms wasn't meant to be a scolding gesture. It was more one he fell back on in times of unease, when he wasn't sure what else to do with his hands. It had been common among his friends and neighbors back home--a strong pose, one to convey unity when talking to one another, and meant, to him, relaxation and friendship. He was aware that people also crossed their arms to scold pups, but in Shikoba the pup crossed their arms as well, so he wasn't aware it conveyed displeasure to his temporary companion.

As she spoke of her pack, his stance relaxed even more, and though his arms remained crossed, an hesitant smile crossed his face. "Spiritual...and they value peace and family, you say?" He turned his head away, gazing into the distance sadly. It reminded him almost painfully of home, and his heart clenched and twisted in such a way that he had to hold his breath for a moment until the feeling eased. For a moment he wished Anzhela was here to help him through his momentary weakness, but he shook that thought away; he'd chosen to leave her behind, not the other way around. He could not pine for her after all he'd put her through.

Luckily, Kiara interrupted his brooding, and he turned his gaze back in her general direction, his ears swiveling as he tried to think of the ways in which he was hindered, and how to explain them. "I cannot hunt for myself. I cannot fight for my people, and healing is...difficult, unless the sun is high and I am out under it." He paused, and then sighed. "My disability is, perhaps, that I am not completely blinded. I still rely on my eyes, when it is possible to use them." He ran a hand through his hair again, and then returned his arms to their folded position, shaking his head slightly. "Were the world always dark, I might have learned to use my other senses in place of my sight. But it is not so." And that was what had driven him away from his tribe; if he could harness his blindness, use it as a tool, then he would have become even more useful. There had been blind warriors in the past who were even more deadly on the field than their counterparts, and legends of blind healers who could listen to your chest and learn your sickness using only that. But Swentzle was partially blinded, partially useful; partially a burden. And he did not wish to be.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 316

The ways of the luperci were still mostly a mystery to Kiara. Even though she had been living in Ichika for several months, many of the behaviors that the luperci practiced were foreign to the arctic wolf. Kiara had grown up in the desolate regions of Northern Canada where the effects of the virus had been mitigated by the cold. There were no luperci in Wood Buffalo National Park, and her first experience with the two legged canines was but four months ago.

The snow wolf relied on what little knowledge she had on luperci body language, which only seemed to lead to misunderstandings. As far as Kiara knew, Swentzle did not approve of her behavior nor did he seem to like her. This false knowledge disheartened the young wolf and every moment Kiara began to crouch lower and lower into the submissive position. Even if Swentzle could not see Kiara's respectful behavior, instinct still drove her movements.

Kiara listened and tried her best to understand what Swentzle was saying. The alabaster woman had not guessed that Swentzle was partially blind, nor did she know that was even possible. Kiara cocked her head to the side as she pondered the information. "You are blind, but you are not? Then that's good, right? Because, your senses are better than most, even if they are not as good as those who are fully blind. But you can still see, so you can enjoy colors and and beautiful things. Or, is that wrong? Anyways, it doesn't matter because we already have hunters in Ichika. You can do other things. Like me, I can't shift so there are many things I can't do. But as the Ikusei, I help raise the puppies." Kiara's tail began to dance. She was happy with the conclusions she had come to, although she was uncertain as to how the male would take her words.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc here

Word Count → 305

Her words startled him yet again out of his moping, and in his surprise he uncrossed his arms and placed his hands on his hips instead, his eyes widening in surprise. He hadn't thought of it like that; and, to be truthful, he really should have. He took a moment to consider that, yes, he still had color, and the wonder and beauty of nature. And while he could not hunt, there were still many things he could do. He offered a tentative smile, reaching behind him to find the rock and sit down again as the realization of the gifts he'd been given along with his curse hit him fully.

"I...yes, you are quite right. I had not thought of these things in that way..." He fell quiet again, folding his hands together, and contemplated what Anzhela might say of his tunnel vision. He didn't need to picture it for long; the site of her fangs flashing as she yelled at him put another, more nostalgic smile on his face. "But it is true that I cannot do these things for myself. This is why I wish to join a pack." He added, and turned back toward her, his ears perking slightly. "Your pack seems the perfect place for me," He added, and then smiled more, as she still had an uneasy air about her that made him feel uncomfortable, himself. "However, I would like to think on it some...and visit some other packs in the area, to make sure I will be making the right decision in joining Ichika."

He reached up to rub the back of his head, and then rose, performing another short bow. "Thank you for the information, Kiara, and I do hope to return here..." He said, pausing for a moment to wonder where Fovea had gone.

<style>

</style>
[/html]
[html]

Gah, poop post sorry. It can end here or you can add another post, whichever you want.

Word Count → 213

The poor snow wolf could not understand Swentzle's pose. The male had placed his paws on his hips. What could that gesture mean? It wasn't until Kiara saw the dark male smile that she managed to relax a little. So he like what she had said. Good. It wasn't long before the alabaster woman was also smiling. Although their encounter had started out bad, Kiara had finally managed to do something right.

Kiara felt a sense of respect for Swentzle. Unlike herself, he was taking his time to decide on which pack to join. After her long journey, the snow wolf had simply entered the first pack she had come across. Kiara had not taken the time to look at other packs and learn about them. It was only now that the alabaster woman truly realized how lucky she had been. If Kiara had traveled south sooner, she would have come across Inferni, or worse, Salsola.

"Okay, take your time. But if you ever decide to join Ichika, then I'm positive the leaders would welcome you with open arms. If not, then feel free to visit." Kiara's ears twitched back in response to a rustling noise that originated behind her. Perhaps the mountain lion Kiara had chased off had returned. She hoped so.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry about the wait! I'll have it archived, and once I finish up my plot thread mayhaps we can have another? c: (hover for translation)

Word Count → 134

Swentzle heard a soft rustling coming from within the packlands, and turned his head that way as the dark shape of his companion moved forward. Fovea kept her head lowered, and her tail flicked irritably as she passed the white wolf, but she only growled low in her throat as she moved to pass Swentzle as well, her head lifting to an impeccably high level as soon as she was certain there was no more threat. "Into the wagon, Fovea." He said fondly, and she huffed at him, but did as he said. He moved to hook the wagon back up to Hamza, and lifted a hand briefly in farewell as he lead the bison and his other companions back down the mountain.

"Felicis viam vobis, Kiara." He blessed, and was on his way.

<style>

</style>
[/html]