As Cold As Ice....
[html]

Word Count → 274 :: Not the best but I've never been great at starting posts.

Nikki was always cautious when exploring new places and this was no exception to that rule. His good eye scanned the terrain while Soka flew overhead keeping a close eye on the land below. She would know if there was danger and she would let Nikki know too. Beautiful, I should come here more often. He thought, having no use for words when he was currently alone. He'd decided to take a long forgotten path along the pictou river and admittedly he was enjoying himself. It wasn't often that he felt this at peace and he could only hope no one would ruin it for him. Good luck He chuckled softly and decided as he neared the first of the Pictou falls that he would take a break. He found a fallen tree nearby and took a seat as he marveled over the beauty of this place.

The rushing water was a soothing sound that could have easily put his to sleep had it not been for the loud screech of his feathered friend. Circling high overhead Soka made certain that Nikki was watching and before swooping down in an area behind him and emitting another loud screech. It wasn't long before Soka was back, landing on his shoulder and ruffling her feathers. Nikki didn't panic, instead he stood slowly and scanned the area from which he'd come. He couldn't see anything but he smelt whoever it was following him and he wondered how long he'd been being tracked, if he was being tracked that is. He would wait to see who it was and why they were following him then perhaps move on.

<style>
.heraldictxt-box {background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... mplate.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:106px; height:136px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.heraldictxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.heraldictxt p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.heraldictxt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.heraldictxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Your post was finneee. <3 A lot better than mine at any rate. xD

Word Count → 325

Vesper had been tracking the hawk rather than the man.

The hybrid was well acquainted with the mountains by this point, but winter had changed them as surely as it had changed the rest of Nova Scotia. One no longer needed to trek to a very high elevation to encounter snow, as the stuff had fallen just about everywhere recently. Many of the trails she often frequented to hunt or otherwise explore were covered, forcing her to turn and find new paths that were not as treacherous. She did not risk moving in her two-legged form, because while her balance had improved incredibly since her first shift, she could not take the chance of slipping and injuring herself now that the paths were often icy.

The snow also hid small animals, and Ves had been wandering long enough to grow hungry. The bird of prey, usually something that caused her to freeze and grow wary, seemed more like a messenger form heaven as she spied it circling above. She could only assume that it was seeking out food as well, and so she’d changed her route toward its direction. If it happened to spy a rabbit or mountain vole, she would definitely try to get the food first.

She loped along until the sound of crashing water reached her ears. Her mind flashed back to her meeting with the young luperci Eclipse, and with more confidence than that day, she padded forward to approach one of the pools. However, like the last time, there was another present on the other side—a pale male with dyed fur, sitting on a log—with the hawk perched on his shoulder.

The lupus-formed coywolf snorted and walked boldly into view when the male stood, though she did not show any signs of aggression. Instead, she merely wandered down to the water’s edge and dipped her head to take a drink, keeping her blue eyes focused on the man.

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespiary p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 13px; margin:0px;}
.vespiary {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#7c3d1a; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FKgCx.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #351801; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#351801; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.vespiary .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 300 :: Naaa, your post was fine.

Soka watched the newcomer suspiciously, waiting to see if she was a danger, being just about as uninterested in trusting strangers as what Nikki was. Nikki on the other hand held her in his icy gaze like an enemy who was bound to attack. She had been following him and he didn't particularly like it. Tension seemed to fill the air, so thick it could be severed by only the sharpest blade and he wasn't sure he could shake it off either. Why had she been following them and what was her intention? Feeling the tension coming off of her friend, Soka took flight but would return should she be needed. Did you follow me here? He exhaled slowly, fighting off a sudden panic attack. Nikki was an odd individual to say the least but he was set in his ways and didn't care to do things any differently.

This woman had distracted him from his hike and so he felt he at least deserved an explanation. That wasn't to hard to ask was it? The last woman who followed you somewhere, tried to kill you He silently reminded himself. That thought alone gave him plenty of reason not to trust her. Were you sent here? Not for even a second did he take his eye off of her but against better judgement he walked up to the river and stood beside her. So close to the falls, a beautiful scene. He almost wished he could trust people more easily but there was a good reason behind his madness. A good reason for his odd behavior and cold manner.

Crouching down beside her he took a handful of the cold water and drank slowly, refreshed by the way it soothed his throat. Perhaps and only perhaps, this wouldn't be so bad after all.

<style>
.heraldictxt-box {background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... mplate.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:106px; height:136px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.heraldictxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.heraldictxt p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 320

The water was cold, but it rejuvenated the Vigiles as it spilled down into her throat. She shivered lightly in pleasure then stepped away from the pool once her thirst was quenched, her pale blue eyes finding the male’s gaze again. A direct stare was often a challenge in canine body language, but she was confident for the distance between them and her unaggressive posture; she was merely curious as to who he was and his scent. Somewhere in her memory she knew she had encountered that same odor once or twice before, the strong smell of a pack wolf, but for the life of her she couldn’t place it and knew it must have been months ago.

The hawk took off, and Vesper watched it for a moment until the male spoke suddenly. The question startled her and caused her ears to straighten in disbelief, but she said nothing until he asked yet another related question. When he came toward her, she stepped back to keep some distance between them, watching him sip a handful of water.

“Why would I be sent to follow you?” the coywolf asked, showing a fang in a smirk. Her voice was edged with mocking and yet genuinely curious as she took a seat on the frosty grass. “Did you do something bad, stranger? Should I be telling?” Only those with guilt acted so paranoid, whether or not that guilt was deserved. The pursuit of justice wasn’t what had brought her here, and she’d let him know that if he kept fretting, but remembering her meeting with Noir and the others of their alliance, she supposed it would be good to make sure he wasn’t a serial killer or rapist or something. The thought made her frown.

“Who are you and what pack are you from?” Vesper asked, her tone casual enough, though she doubted he would answer that question with his cautious mannerisms.

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespiary {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#7c3d1a; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FKgCx.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #351801; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#351801; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 350 :: ------

Nikki hadn't done anything wrong unless you included being born and then he'd never quite understood how people could hate someone so badly, simply for being alive. He couldn't exactly choose his parents and he found it rather silly in honesty that Akual would have him assassinated just for a chance to be alpha, did he really think his father wouldn't see through his lies? Ah well, if Akual wanted it so badly, let him have it because he was a part of Anathema now and he felt comfortable there, he didn't think he would be returning home for a long time. Even if he did, it would likely be for a visit before returning here. Despite the fact he'd caused no trouble, he didn't receive the answer he wanted from the woman and frowned in disappointment.

"Because some mad-man out there wants my fathers tribe and since I'm alive he cannot have it." Nikki chuckled, amused. "Go tell whoever you wish, I could be in trouble for not ceasing to exist. It's rather silly someone wants me dead to eventually take over a pack I don't even belong to any longer," Sarcasm dripped from every word. "But I suppose some might think differently would you agree?" It was growing apparent that although he seemed cautious he was a very angry man and didn't put his faith in many people, including present company but he'd done no wrong. Not yet anyway. When asked who he was and where he came from he looked over the woman with an expression that suggested she was insane but the words flowed in a flat tone.

"I'm Nikki, I belong to Anathema. I'm still wondering why you were following me woman." He had no reason to treat her in kindness, not as far as he was concerned. After all she had followed him here and now, she couldn't even answer his questions? Who the hell answers a question with a question anyhow? The thought only managed to get him all riled up again and he snorted in annoyance. "So who the hell are you?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

I'm sorry for the wait! End of the semester rush. ><

Word Count → 340

The man’s answer surprised her, and the quickness with which her blue eyes flicked to him betrayed that, although her face was expressionless as a whole. Sadly, acts like this were not unheard of; some younger brother or cousin or evil uncle wanted to usurp the throne, and an heir was chased away as a result. She lowered her gaze to the pool, rippling from the froth of water crashing into it, then shrugged her shoulders at his sarcastic questioning.

“Fools might think differently. If truly don’t feel like you belong to that pack anymore, I don’t believe whoever is targeting you will waste their resources—and if they do bother to drag their asses over the mountain, it’s for reasons a little more personal than ambition.”

Vesper lifted her gaze to meet his levelly as she spoke the last words, though she was slightly thrown off by the milky eye. Making no comment on it, she shrugged her dark-dappled shoulders once more. Only time would tell if the white luperci had anything left to fear; it was not her business anymore.

Throwing her a look, he introduced himself as Nikki then prodded her with his original question. The use of the word “woman” made her break into a smirk, and yet she didn’t mind that or the bluntness of his last question. He was annoyed at her, and that was fine.

“My name is Vesper. I belong in Inferni.” Her wording was slightly different than his own; she did not feel like she belonged to any entity, whether an individual or a pack. However, the coyote clan had proven itself as the place for her to dwell, and so she felt like she belonged there. “I was following your hawk with the hopes it was looking for prey; I hoped to snatch a meal before it could.” Sitting, she lazily reached up with a hind paw to scratch her mangled ear. “I didn’t intend to follow another luperci anywhere, so you can relax; I’m not an assassin.” She winked.

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#351801 1px 1px 1px;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px; text-shadow:#351801 1px 1px 1px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 350 :: ------

He still wasn't certain that he could trust her but at least some of the previous tension had drained from his demeanor and he felt himself beginning to relax. Soka must have picked up on the change in emotion because she swooped down and landed on his shoulder with a shrill screech, her golden brown eyes scanning the woman. She too seemed cautious but she was there when Nikki had been attacked so she had no reason not to be. Reaching a hand up he gave the hawk a pat and smiled. She often calmed him in bad situations. After listening to Vesper's words his smile widened.

"I'm afraid your out of luck then because Soka prefers fishing, until the rivers freeze over that's what she'll do and more often then not, she feeds both of us." By this time the hawk had settled down and appeared to have been sleeping until Nikki mentioned food, to which she looked around in curiosity. They certainly hadn't eaten today and so he imagined she was waiting for him to send her out. He didn't feel a need for food at the moment though, especially not in the presence of a hungry stranger. "Does your pack not provide for it's members?" He asked casually. He wasn't trying to cause a fight, simply curious.

When he decided not to send her out, Soka simply watched once more, drifting in and out of sleep.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 237

A screech and the figure of the bird flying toward them made the coywolf bare her teeth and skitter back a couple of steps, her dark brown and coal hackles stiffening at the perceived threat. Her display of caution lasted only a couple of heartbeats before the hawk landed on its master’s shoulder, and then Vesper forced herself to relax. She had battled enough with large birds of prey to know that hooked beaks and talons were deadly; if the man decided to send his avian companion at her, there would be trouble.

The white luperci smiled, however, and merely patted the hawk’s mottled plumage. His remark made the hybrid snort, though it was a sound of good humor. She didn’t like the idea of plunging into icy water to catch a fish for herself, especially with her ragged coat and small body. She didn’t need to run around wearing a heavy poncho like the clan’s healer, and she’d braved harsher winters than in Nova Scotia, but she wasn’t going to go looking for hypothermia.

Nikki’s question caused her ears to perk with disbelief, and this time her snort was scornful. “Inferni has plenty of prey for all its members,” Vesper stated coolly. “However, I was visiting another pack across the mountain.” She pointed north with her nose. “It seemed easier to grab a bite on my way back rather than exhaust myself by heading straight home.”

<style type="text/css">
.vespiary b {font-weight:bold; color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#351801 1px 1px 1px;}
.vespiary .wordcount {color:#e4862a; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #351801; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px; text-shadow:#351801 1px 1px 1px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

Sorry it's a bit short.

In Character

Her change in posture as Soka returned to him was amusing and he chuckled softly as he watched her. "You're a bit paranoid aren't you? Soka would only attack if provoked, she doesn't enjoy fighting much." To emphasis his words, the hawk screeched again. He smiled and walked back to the fallen tree he'd been seated on before, taking his seat once again. "Do you travel this way often?" He asked, tilting his head in curiosity. His tail twitched behind him. He didn't find himself shocked by her disbelief in his earlier statement and seemed to ignore it completely.

Still, he felt he couldn't trust the woman, she was part of a coyote clan and he'd heard coyote's were not to be trusted, that they were sly and devious. His pale Sapphire eye met her gaze and he frowned. Perhaps he should have simply continued his journey and avoided this tense conversation. She was obviously growing annoyed with him and he bored with her. It didn't help that his peace had been disturbed.

<style>
.freetable-c03 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.freetable-c03 b {color:#0c40e4;}
.freetable-c03-b {width:527px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto;}
.freetable-c03-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#DDE6CF; text-shadow:#1C0A00 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.freetable-c03-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.freetable-c03 {background-color:#7185c0; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#162758; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:525px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2622/n ... abcopy.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:300px 0px 10px 0px; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

I hadn't seen you'd replied! But we can either wrap this up now or not; up to you. ^^

Word Count → 300

The pale wolf’s chuckle made her large ears stand up in disbelief. A wicked grin slashed across her narrow muzzle. “Who are you calling paranoid?” Vesper shot back, clearly referring to his nerves when he’d assumed all too quickly that the small hybrid had been following him. Perhaps his paranoia was justified due to the dark events in his past, but her paranoia was justified, too. Those talons could easily carve a few new scars into her patchwork body.

But the man seemed to have relaxed again, at least. Nikki settled down on the fallen log, and the coywolf took a seat next to the pool, watching him—and watching the hawk, despite his insistence that it didn’t like to fight. The bird was an interesting creature, however, as all raptors were. They were often fast if not simply large and powerful creatures.

His question made her frown lightly. “I travel through the mountains very often, yes. I knew many of the paths through here from my time as a loner. I also have friends in Ichika, and sometimes we meet each other halfway—this being halfway.” She smirked, swallowing any additional mocking comments which might have provoked him. She might have gotten a rush of out conflict, but Vesper wasn’t suicidal or looking for a fight this time.

“I should probably be getting back to the clan,” the tawny female said after a small pause, blue eyes flicking to him as her smirk faded from her mouth. “Unless you have any other pressing questions to ask,” she added with light humor, standing and wagging her tail twice. She was still curious about what Anathema was like and his apparently tumultuous past, but she knew that she hated to be bothered and didn’t want her presence to aggravate him anymore.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]