Help with writing style/keeping up
So, I sent this to the 'Souls Mentor account, but then a friend told me that sometimes it takes a while for them to check it, and it's not like I need private help or anything so I'm just gonna quote-post it here. c:

Quote:Hi! I was hoping I could get some help with developing a style of writing, or discovering the style I already have and cleaning it up a bit...I've found that I tend to write until it feels like a good point to stop, and that usually leaves people with a short, 200-250 word post, when they're giving me 300 and above in return. I'd like to fix that, if I can, and I think it's got something to do with the way I write, but I'm not sure. I've also been noticing grammatical mistakes in my posts that seem to coincide with my 'style', and I tend to write run on sentences. I'd like to fix that, if I can, but I dunno if it's a bad thing or if it actually makes for a more interesting read/helps with the flow of my posts. I notice that when I start threads, my first couple of paragraphs are disjointed, and I have difficulty going from what's happened earlier in the day/the setting, to the action parts of my post.

Examples: one, two, three

On the last, I'm not happy with my posts in the entire thread...but I'm not sure what to do about them.

On another note, I've been off and on 'Souls for about four years, and I always end up dying within the first couple of weeks. I really don't want that to happen again, because I'm in love with the character I've created this time.  I was hoping one of the Mentors would be able to help me come up with a plot for Swentzle? I'm not very good at thinking them up unless I have one specifically already in mind, and my muse hasn't started to die yet, but I'm worried it will soon. Could you guys please help me with these problems?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance!

I'd really like a little feedback on this stuff...I'm really unhappy with the way I write. xD;
While I'm not a mentor, one of the best suggestions I have as far as plots is to join a pack. Smile Most of the packs offer various prompts, games, and prizes that keep members busy. Having looked over your character, I would suggest maybe heading towards AniWaya--he seems suited for the lifestyle, and even for the Medicine tier within the Tribe. Big Grin

A good way to work on finding your "voice" is to simply try playing with the way you write. Reading various authors can help, as well as expanding your own vocabulary. 'Souls offers prizes for using the Word of the Day. The Catacombs can also help out with some ideas as far as what can go on in threads. Smile
Just so you know, also, I've checked the Mentor account PMs and posted them up to the private Mentorship forum, too, so hopefully they'll swing by here? c:
Thanks, Sie! ^^ I was just a little antsy... x3;

I'm already looking at Ichika No Ho-En for him to join, because I want him to stay up in the northern areas somewhat, and I like their individualized ranks. I love AniWaya, though, and sadly didn't think of them until I'd already settled him up north. xD

Those sound good! I'll give the Catacombs a look over, and see if I can find anything...and I'll pick up the Word of the Day, too, and see if that helps. Thanks a lot, Mel! ^^
If you're looking into InH, I'd be willing to help you plot with him with Sage. I just moved her over there, and I need her to be active! :o

I would be willing, too, to try to help you with your writing; honestly, though, my posts tend to be quite short as well. I don't think it's really a bad thing, and sometimes writing too much, like you said, makes more disjointed... *shrug* I think your writing is nice! :o
That would be awesome! I really like Sage, and they have sort of the same mindset, so it'd be cool to see what they think of each other! Big Grin

Thank you! ;~; I just haven't seen my writing style mature in quite a while, so I'm wondering if I'm in some sort of rut...I'm gonna play around with it, though, and see what happens.

Is it alright if I PM you so we can figure out some sort of plot? o:
Oh yes, definitely! :>
Hey mdear you know I am always around for plotting!

And I'm a member of the short-posts-appreciation-society. (spas?!) I mean I do appreciate long ones too, but I think if you're having trouble with a post, there is nothing wrong with keeping it short if that's all you've got. Basically, don't sweat it - I'm sure no one would really mind having something concise to reply to, and you always seem to include enough description to go on anyway. For me once I get going in a thread or with a character, sooner or later the posts start writing themselves. I think most people have the odd sticky patch where they can't get going, but you have to get through that to get to the good stuff. I always like your posts and I love your characters and it always surprises me when you say you have no muse just after writing something nice. So TLDR keep your chin up and don't overthink things, just have fun and roll with it a little and see what happens!
I've sent you my PM, Bobbi! Big Grin

Hee, Fred! <3 I'd love to plot with you, and I always will!

I'm glad you think so! That's what I really love about Swentzle, he always just seems to write himself, unless I make an unexpected AW thread and then he's like "NO I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS" derp. But when I go back over it later and re-read stuff, I'm not happy with what I wrote, so...I dunno. xD Maybe I am over-thinking all this. I'm gonna take your advice, though, and aside from mess with some of the major parts that I don't like about my writing I'll just let this be for now.

Thanks a lot for all the help, guys! <3 I guess I just needed a little direction.