Sharp Mind Dull Sight
[html]

OOC At Beast Peninsula, near CdA

Word Count → 000

Amy studied the mouth of the water. It intrigued her, knowing that fresh and saltwater mixed together here. It didn't give her any profit, which was a disappointment, but the trade had been worth it. She'd give away a swatch of pale cloth in exchange for being told about the western coast. Hearing about the peninsula had been enough to get her to come and see it for herself.

Drawing out her map Amy roughly began sketching in the details of what she saw. She wasn't an artist by any means, but her maps were readable and accurate. If Amy did this right eventually she'd have a map of the territory she found herself in, and would be able to sell it to travelers. Even better, Amy could get Hadley to make the maps for her if Amy trained him right.

Hadley glanced at his mistress, shivering in the cold. He didn't understand why she would want to come out here, and even less so why Amy wanted him to be with her. Amy didn't care about that though. Hadley had the build for a guard, and it was merely a part of his training, making sure that he was with his master as often as he could manage.

<style type="text/css">
.amyhour b {font-weight:bold; color:#fc8cff; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#31224b 0px 0px 1px;}
.amyhour p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 13px; margin:0px;}
.amyhour {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#ac69fc; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/CeqhO.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #30383c; padding: 290px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#31224b; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.amyhour .wordcount {color:#fc8cff; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #31224b; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px; text-shadow:#31224b 0px 0px 1px;}
.amyhour .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
.amyhour p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.amyhour p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

Hotaru Lives Hotaru TalksHotaru thinks

OOC: The song Hotaru is playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-ITuzVRf4

The beach had become one of Hotaru's favorite places to visit. She could often be found walking along the sandy shores for hours on end. It had gotten to the point where Hotaru could weave in and out of the rocks that littered the shores without the help of her staff. Although, the blind woman still required Fawkes's help. If she was in danger of running into a boulder, the red tailed hawk would warn his master. Fawkes too, had come to like the beach. The open space and gentle wind was perfect for flying.

Today Hotaru had left her staff with the Fawkes, making his flight labored and awkward. Just that morning Hotaru had found something she had believed to be lost. Deep within the grey wolf's traveling pouch, a small ocarina had been hidden away. Hotaru had carved this ocarina herself. It was to be a present for her brother who was gifted in music. The ocarina was painted a beautiful blue, and the sound it had produced was absolutely lovely. The woodwind instrument had been one of Hotaru's greatest achievements and at the time she couldn't have been more proud of herself. However, the instrument never made it to the intended owner and it had been one of the last things she had carved before fate took her sight away.

Grasping the oval body in her hands, Hotaru lifted the ocarina's mouth peace to her lips and began to play. The song was simple, but sad. Hotaru's paws remember the notes, as they danced slowly to the tune. Hotaru had never been one for music, but her song echoed with the profound sense of loss she felt. Her family, her eye sight. Both had been taken from her.

Table by: Alex

<style>
.Hotaru .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.Hotaru p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; font-weight:bold; text-indent:25px; color:#FAFAD2}
.Hotaru b {font-family:verdana; color:#efa21b; margin:5px; font-size:12px; text-shadow: #000000 1px 1px 0px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Hotaru {background-color:#010409; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; align:center; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8990/fireflies.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:150px 0px 10px 0px; border:0px solid #d27527; border-radius:8px; }
.HotaruTrans {background-image:url(http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad21 ... hcraft.png); font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; margin:0 auto; color:#000000;; line-height:16px; width:380px; text-align:justify; opacity:1;
;padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:8px; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC

Word Count → 000

Amy's ears twitched as the sound of music reached her. She hadn't heard something so simple and beautiful in a long time. Even when she came across those who could play instruments, they often played complex melodies, or were participating in a tribal celebration. The music the dog heard now was a lot like the music Amy had listened to while doing paperwork, or eating dinner. This soft peaceful music had been favored by her family for it's soothing atmosphere. It calmed the mind, allowing one to think rationally. People may have thought it strange to find that one who favored music like this were capable of such awful deeds, but it was true.

Standing up Amy looked around, locating the source. A lone wolf stood on the beach before, playing on an instrument she didn't recognize. The sound rather reminded her of a flute though. She waved her hand, indicating to Hadley that he had to follow. In a fit of stubbornness Hadley refused to move, bidding for the chance at freedom. He wasn't healed enough to run, but his spirit refused to give up. Angered at his refusal Amy slapped him, claws scratching across his face. It barely missed his eye. Turning sharply she lowered her hand, digging the claws into his body. Gasping Hadley stood, this time obediently following her.

Pleased Amy stroked him on the head, ignoring his slight flinch. She walked up to the wolf, and examined her. Her eyes were clear, but unfocused. Thinking the girl was lost in thought, Amy cleared her throat, and looked at her. Your music is beautiful.

<style type="text/css">
.amyhour b {font-weight:bold; color:#fc8cff; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#31224b 0px 0px 1px;}
.amyhour {margin:0px auto; width:480px; background-color:#ac69fc; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/CeqhO.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #30383c; padding: 290px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#31224b; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
.amyhour .wordcount {color:#fc8cff; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #31224b; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px; text-shadow:#31224b 0px 0px 1px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Fawkes noticed the stranger long before Hotaru did. His keen eyes saw her golden form as well as her injured companion. The wind was not in the blind woman's favor, taking the scent away from the three canines. Fawkes landed awkwardly on a nearby boulder and screeched at the approaching strangers in low speech. His basic message was for them to stop, to announce their presence to his master. In order to emphasize his meaning, Fawkes lifted his browned wings and hung them high in the air. No one would sneak up on his master, not if he had anything to say about it.

Hotaru's ears twitched and a smile tugged at her lips when she realized that Fawkes was trying to order around another canine. As smart as the bird could be, sometimes he was very dumb. Fawkes was very articulate for a red tailed Hawk, as he had mastered not only several avian languages but he was also able to communicate in broken high speech. This had, for one reason or another, led the bird to believe that he possessed the power to order certain canines around. Hotaru continued to smile as she brought the ocarina away from her lips and licked them just slightly. Unlike her brother, the blind woman was no musician so she was not used to the effort it took to play an ocarina.

Hotaru made an effort to conceal her disability by turning her head in the direction of the females voice. This time the grey wolf managed to point her eyes in the correct direction, although she wondered if it would be enough to fool someone. "Your very kind, but I am afraid that music is not my forte." Hotaru absentmindedly stroked the ocarina, the polished wood beneath her paws soft and warm. "My name's Hotaru, what's yours?"

<style>
.Hotaru p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; font-weight:bold; text-indent:25px; color:#FAFAD2}
.Hotaru b {font-family:verdana; color:#efa21b; margin:5px; font-size:12px; text-shadow: #000000 1px 1px 0px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Hotaru {background-color:#010409; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; align:center; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8990/fireflies.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:150px 0px 10px 0px; border:0px solid #d27527; border-radius:8px; }
.HotaruTrans {background-image:url(http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad21 ... hcraft.png); font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; margin:0 auto; color:#000000;; line-height:16px; width:380px; text-align:justify; opacity:1;
</style>
[/html]

Hotaru Pick: http://i.imgur.com/0sX6Q.png
[html]

OOC

Word Count → 000

Amy glanced with some amusement at the bird. Clearly it belonged to the wolf she'd found. Turning her head back she saw the wolf try and look at her. It clicked that the girl was blind, bringing a cold smile to her face. It wasn't unusual that she hadn't noticed right off, as most blind people's eyes were clouded. Hotaru's, however, lacked that. It was unusual, but didn't overly bother her. Amy had dealt with stranger things.

My name is Amy. It is a pity that you don't play better. I rather enjoyed that tune. Amy didn't bother introducing her slave. He was a lesser being, someone who existed to serve. As such, he would only be addressed when such services were needed. Until then Hadley was to keep quiet, acting as a bodyguard.

The poor wolfdog didn't realize this though, and opened his mouth to speak. "My name is- Harshly Amy cut him off with a quick blow. That was rude, She hissed at him. It was a mistake, the first one of it's kind, so Amy was lenient. She didn't punish him further, allowing her elbow and sharp words to do the work for her. The dog turned back to Hotaru. My apologies. I'm still training him.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Hotaru could feel her insides coil in disgust as Amy scolded a male canine. The blind woman did not realize that there was another with Amy and she almost wished that she never found out about the males existence. A slave. The word felt dirty and bitter in Hotaru's mind. If the grey wolf had met Amy and her slave just a few months ago then Hotaru would have gladly tried to free the male. Now, such things were not possible. Hotaru was blind, and fairly new at being blind. She had neither the prowess nor the ability to engineer an escape.

The blind woman remained steadfast and kept her body language cool and confident. There was no hint of Hotaru's internal struggle in her mannerisms or voice. "I asked for his name. Let him speak. " Hotaru stood proud and strong. She did not show any signs of dominance, nor did she show any signs of submission. Hotaru was aware that her words might anger Amy, but really she couldn't care less.

Fawkes tensed when he saw the strange blond dog strike the injured dog. It was not unusual to see wolves use force to show dominance, but Fawkes could tell by his master's reaction that she disapproved. A small twitch of her reddish tail gave away exactly what Hotaru was thinking, but it took a trained eye and someone who knew his master very well to understand this. Fawkes spread his wings out more. This time the gesture was not to show force, but in preparation to fly. His Long brown wings bobbed slightly in the air, but he waited. If things turned ugly, Fawkes would give his life to keep his master safe.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC here.

Word Count → 000

Amy glanced sharply at the woman's words. Her posture pushed Amy even further. She was the queen of the area, not this blind weakling! She sneered at Hotaru's words. You didn't ask for his name. You asked for the name of the one who addressed you, me. Amy pulled herself back together, looking at the girl. She was weaker than her, but the posture was threatening. Amy's whole body screamed at the blind girl to submit, her body blasting off waves of fury. Not even a blind person could miss this.

Sweetly she turned and stroked Hadley. He shivered, feeling her anger. The wolfdog wouldn't speak now, even if the girl wanted him to. Amy's anger had been roused, and he'd experienced it enough to avoid. After all, Amy had placed those scars on his body in a twisted form of entertainment. He still had nightmares from when Amy had pulled the skin off, her sweet smile as she began slicing into him.

Amy looked back at the blind girl. Besides, you wouldn't want to ruin his training. A poor slave is killed, you know. It was a simple fact. Slaves that had no use would be thrown out. Amy would do everything in her power to keep that from happening. She would not gain a reputation for selling useless merchandise. She was a good, honest merchant. Amy wouldn't let anything mess that up, not even a blind wolf.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

A deadly game now ensued between the blind wolf and the golden dog. A game of words, and a battle to the last laugh. Hotaru remained cool and calm. Her words flowed like the music which she played, gentle but strong. "Ah you see, I am but a poor, blind wolf. I require his voice to know his position. A name from him is all I ask." Hotaru knew she had to be careful. A true fight would leave her badly wounded or worse, dead.

The air between the two wolves was thick and stale. What had started out as a bad day had turned even worse. Still, Hotaru would not budge. Amy's words about training gave Hotaru a brilliant idea. Hotaru turned her head and whistled softly to Fawkes. At his master's command, the red bird sprung into the air and deposited the staff at Hotaru's feet. He circled twice around the three canines before Hotaru stretched her arm out form him to land. Hotaru lifted the ocarina up for Fawkes to inspect and clicked her tongue. In perfect harmony bird and master moved as one. Fawkes sprang into the air and Hotaru waited just long enough for him to double back before tossing the ocarina high. With grace and skill Fawkes grabbed the ocarina in his powerful talons without damaging the wooden instrument. "Give it to Amy."

The red tailed hawked gave Amy a disapproving look but deposited the ocarina in front of her without hesitation. If she chose to, Amy could easily catch the falling instrument. If not, the ocarina would land on the sand in front of her. Fawkes remained in the air, circling just above the trio. He would not land until Hotaru ordered it.

"Fawkes is my faithful companion, he will listen to me without question and obey any command I give him. Like your...slave, he required training. However, I find a gentle and rewarding hand goes a lot farther than an iron fist. Loyalty is earned through respect, hatred is earned through pain. Fawkes will die for me, will he die for you?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC

Word Count → 000

Amy snatched the instrument, and passed it to Hadley. He would keep it for her. Glancing over her shoulder she nodded at the male. Clearing his voice he spoke, low and quiet. "Hadley." It was just one word, but it was enough to confirm his position, just behind Amy's right shoulder. She didn't relax from her tense stance though. Sharply she looked back at Hotaru.

That's a lovely show you have. However, you can't say that you didn't have to do things when he was in the wrong. What about attacking the wrong thing? You'd scold him then. Just like you, my system holds rewards and punishments. You simply saw the punishment. A proper slave had a broken spirit, lavishing for service. They wouldn't serve just out of fear, but out of devotion to their master. True, they were relationships easily broken when sold. A good slave would still want their master's praise, though.

Hadley definitely feared Amy, but she would teach him. She would teach him to long for her praise, a soft touch. He would learn to enjoy her silken glove lying over her iron fist. When that happened, things would be well. It would be some time until then, but Amy had done it before, and she would do it again. Hadley would be shattered, and remolded as what she wished for.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Shall we put an end to this thread? Any more and Hotaru's going to say something stupid.

The loss of her ocarina did not sadden Hotaru. If anything she was happy to be rid of the infernal instrument. The memories stored within the wood's core saddened Hotaru and provided her no comfort. In her mind something, no matter how beautiful, with such a bad history belonged in the hands of a slave trader. A dirty instrument belongs in dirty hands.

Hotaru stretched out her arm once more to allow Fawkes to land. With the familiar weight on Hotaru's arm she felt more comfortable, more relaxed. Her large paw reached up to gently stroke the bird on his chest. Hotaru couldn't see it, but not one did Fawkes take his eyes off Amy.

A small smile spread across the blind wolf's lips, as if Amy's rebuttal greatly amused her. Truth be told, Amy's argument made Hotaru want to sneer at the slave trader. She wanted to spit and curse the merchant, but that would lead to fights and Hotaru needed to avoid such things at all costs. "Words can be as sharp as knives and twice as effective where punishment is concerned. Tender touch for praise and harsh words for punishment is a very affective system. Oh and Hadley, that ocarina is a simple instrument. It's a lot like a flute. If you practice every day you can learn to play in no time. "

The blind woman made her intention's clear in her words. The ocarina was for the slave, not the owner. Hotaru hoped that this would force Amy to be nicer to Hadley. If Hadley learned to play the ocarina then he would be more valuable as a slave. This would also mean that Hadley's body would become important and any damage to his arms and hands would prevent him from properly playing the ocarina. That is, if even Amy allowed Hadley to use the ocarina. It was a gamble, but Hotaru had to do something to try and help Hadley.

"It's about time I get going. It was... nice to meet you Hadley...Amy." Hotaru quickly lifted her air into the air, allowing Fawkes to fly off. She bent down and picked up the walking stick. With a small nod to where she believed Hadley was standing Hotaru backed up a few paces before turning to leave. Hotaru's reddish ears flicked back, waiting to see if Amy decided to charge her. Fawkes circled in the air just above the wolves, all the while watching to see what Amy would do. Neither of them wanted a fight, but both were expecting an attack.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC good to me

Word Count → 000

Amy's hands grasped the sword around her waste. How dare this girl talk as if she didn't know her business? Amy knew exactly how effective words could be. She'd used them on slaves that she couldn't physically harm. A gentle touch for a reward and harsh words as a knife? That would never break someone's spirit! A slave with his spirit in tact was worthless, looking out for themselves first. What she required in a slave was someone who looked out for their masters above all.

The fact that Hotaru's words were aimed at Hadley made Amy even angrier. She was worth more than the slave, but this blind woman just ignored her and addressed the slave! As she turned and walked away Amy was seized with the urge to attack. She wouldn't though. She was better than this slimy girl that snubbed her betters. Amy was well mannered. Turning on her heel she marched away. Hadley didn't come quick enough, so she slapped him across the face. This time he hurried and the two returned to the wagon. Well, that certainly ruined her mood. And it had started out so good too.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]