The Sky Is Falling
[html]

For Melisande

Ty was getting to know the territory of Clouded Tears pretty well. Unfortunately, he wasn’t getting to know the actual pack well at all. Other than his mother and father, and a wolf here or there, the youth hadn’t made many acquaintances at all. Someone had told him there would be puppies to play with, some maybe his age. As of yet he couldn’t find them; maybe their parents didn’t let them come out to play like his parents did. Maybe they had heard of the new pup on the block and were just avoiding him for some reason. He was clean, dammit! His mother made sure of that.

He rolled over on his back, looking into a grey-blue sky, lots of clouds. This was his first winter, and thus, his first snow. Technically last night had been his first snow, but you can’t fully appreciate something unless you can feel it, lick it, and inspect it thoroughly in the daylight. At least that was the creamy male’s opinion of things. Blinking repeatedly as snow flurries and a crisp wind assaulted his eyes, he opened his mouth as wide as he could sticking out his tongue to the cold air. Snow was supposed to be water, that’s what someone had said. Tybalt didn’t think the puffy white cloud-flakes looked anything like water. They definitely didn’t resemble raindrops at all, and as far as stuff falling out of the sky, raindrops were about as watery as you could get.

Apparently snowflakes were tasteless also. They were just horribly cold, or was that the wind? Ty closed his mouth; this wasn’t working very well at all, and unfortunately, the snow just wasn’t sticking very well to anything except his fur. Rolling back on his stomach, the pup had a new thought. If they wouldn’t land in his mouth by themselves, maybe he could catch them. Immediately he put his plan into action, springing to his oversized feet and clumsily dancing around. Snap! Snap! Snap! They were elusive little buggers, these snow flake things. All he managed to do was blow them away with his flurry of motion. Sighing, he slumped to his haunches, glowering at the flakes that fell around him. When one dared to land on his nose after all of his efforts to catch one of them, he nearly growled at it. Life was not fair.

[/html]
The wolfess spotted Tybalt long before she got to him. She was far away and above, cocking her head as she wondered if she was awake. Many things had seemed like a dream, lately. This was one of those times. Was she looking into the past? No, the little critter still wasn't small enough, not quite the same shape as she had been as a pup. This little creature looked more like her father. After watching the playful creature for a while, she decided to go investigate who this was. After all, she had told herself that she would try to get to know every individual in the pack. Even if this was her father, somewhere in the past, or just another tough white pup playing int he snow, she would have to meet him eventually.

Just as she was getting within hearing range of him, she saw him pout up at the snow, obviously frustrated with the substance. She couldn't help but laugh as she walked nearer to him. "Its easier to play with this snow," she said, scooping up some from the ground and eating it. It wasn't easy to do, since it was so cold and crispy, she had to use her tongue, and the result was that it looked like she was eating peanut butter, such were the motions her mouth used. Having finished, she gave him a friendly grin, remembering her first snow, and even more fondly, her first discovery of ice. "I'm Melisande Sadira," she said, fully expecting, but not requiring, him to announce his name in reply. He was a quite little pup, she thought, and although she couldn't remember when her parents let her go off by herself, she decided that she had better make sure he wasn't lost or something. "Your parents let you play alone in this weather?" she said, trying to sound as friendly and un-accusing as possible.
[html]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/ ... baltbg.jpg);border:1px solid #000;border-top:0px;font-family:verdana;font-size:10px;line-height:10px;" align=justify>
out of character
Yay new table! This is longer than expected. Wink I'm not sure the order of your threads with Konane and Lisichka so whether you know that Ty's a sibling or not is up to you.
in character
The unfamiliar she-wolf actually got quite close before the creamy pup noticed. When he did, the pout and all traces of anger at the snow were immediately wiped off his face. He decided it didn’t make much sense for him to be sitting there growling at snow. Inanimate objects weren’t supposed to be growled at, but he did find the puffy stuff extremely frustrating. He couldn’t decide whether to take her laughter as mocking or good-natured, so he allowed a tinge of defensiveness to creep into his voice when he responded. “I was trying to catch it, though. It won’t co-op-erate with me.” He practiced a new, bigger word he had just learned and watched the white female eat the snow off the ground. “Besides, isn’t that snow dirty? It was on the ground!” Not that his food didn’t come off the ground; he was just being a pain in the ass at this point.

After she left, maybe he would try the powdery snow on the ground, but sense he just made the ‘dirty-snow’ comment, it was paws off until he was sure he was alone. His paws were cold; he could only imagine what it would be like to stick a bunch of the frozen stuff in his mouth. The adventurous pup couldn’t wait to try now. Damn adults and their forever giving him ideas he was too prideful to try in front of them!

Sadira? That was odd; that was his name! And his parents name too. Of course, he didn’t make the connection that this could be a sibling. He didn’t know the names of his parents other children; in fact he wasn’t quite aware of anything that didn’t directly affect him at this point in life. He knew that their family had moved to return to their home-pack, and he knew that at least his dad had had other kids. At one point in time, he probably even knew their names, but the she-wolf’s name didn’t strike a cord within his memory. Except the last name, which was his name and that made it immediately odd, scary, and somewhat comforting all at the same time.

“I’m Tybalt,” he said as response, withholding his last name until he could figure this somehow huge, weird thing out. Ty was unfamiliar with being part of a large family, although apparently there were quite a few relatives living in Bleeding Souls. She was white. He and his immediate family were white. That’s all he had to go on, though. “Yeah, they let me play by myself. At least in the packlands. I’m big enough.” In fact, he was big enough to flirt with the idea of leaving the packlands altogether to further broaden his horizons. He had heard of much more interesting things in Bleeding Souls than a misty lake and was eager to explore.

He quirked his head, still trying to figure out the Sadira thing. Blue eyes squinted and traced her body up and down. How the heck was he supposed to tell if she were related or not? “You said your name was Sadira.” He stood up and took a few tentative steps closer, brows furrowing, very ‘confused-puppy’-ish. “That’s my name too. Tybalt Sadira.”

[/html]
ooc - I love your layout. <3

She smiled at his comment about the snow being dirty. It made sense, of course. Most things that were on the ground were dirty, not that she could remember worrying about it when she'd picked up sticks or other things as a pup. But, everyone was different, and it actually made him sort of comical. "Was it on the ground... or in the sky?" She waited a moment, then, just long enough for him to perhaps be able to rethink his previous assesment. "Besides, you'd know if it was dirty just the same as you can tell that water is dirty. If it isn't white, don't mess with it. If it is, its fresh!" It had been snowing pretty steadily for the past week or so, thus, this snow on the top was obviously good.

Melisande shrugged as he told her that his parents let him play by himself. She didn't remember her parents being too overzealous about that sort of thing either, now that she thought about it. And Melis hadn't stayed close to the packlands at all, even as a very young pup. Now, looking back on things, she was shocked that she hadn't been eaten by coyotes or something equally bad. But then, she had fairly good judgement, she thought. Then he stated his name... his full name, and Melisande came to a realization. But, of course, there were lots of Sadira's around here. Better to confirm things before she make herself look like an idiot. "If you don't mind my asking, Tybalt... who are your parents?"