The Dark
I had an idea the other day while dozing in the YMCA hot tub. Since AniWaya has good spirits and Spirit Guides... what's saying someone else might have a spirit guide?
And who's saying this spirit is good?
Makalay, Pishunti, Iya. All of these spirits were considered evil in Native American mythology [Trinity River tribes, Pueblo, and Lakota in that order, if you want to look them up.]
What's saying someone can't have a spirit guide fueled by malevolence and chaos just as much as the man he guides is?
Just a thought. Maybe I've been reading too much Lovecraft, and maybe I don't understand spirit guides as well as I should. But it's good food for thought.
That's a pretty cool idea but I'm not sure if Marit will agree to it. Or how many people would want to use it.
Guides are tended to be thought of as aides or well guardian angels. A spiritual connection/bond is to be formed so why would one wish to harm their bonded? It's like, would you go out of your way to injure your soulmate? Whereas those spirits that you are referring to are more like ghosts/demon incarnations/monsters if you wish to think of it as such. And AniWaya is mainly Cherokee based. So yeah, spirit guides are different from mythological spirits. Spirit guides extend beyond the Native American culture and part spiritualism itself where as those you named off stick to Native American mythology. Spirit guides are thought to be light energy from a cosmic realm (not always having been a living being or if so then having lived many lifetimes and have paid off their karmic debt to the point that they no longer need to be reincarnated and so they serve to direct others upon the right path to take) and act as a guiding force, hence being called guides.
Hmm. That makes sense. Okay, just an idea I had. ^^
As per the Supernatural guide, only AniWayans can have "spirit guides" per se. That doesn't mean that other characters can't have poltergeists or worse ghosts/spirits hanging around them -- most of the ghosts we've had played or as companions before have been neutral/harmless to actively helpful -- I don't believe there have been many (if any) instances of an evil or malevolent spirit. Smile It would be interesting to see, but you'll also have to take care not to let the ghost act too powerfully, too.
My old character Laruku encountered the malevolent ghost of his father once. It showed him visions and tried to convince him of various negative things, but was not powerful enough to have much of a lasting effect. :3 So yes, that's happened before.
MEMORY WHAR U AT. Why don't I remember these things. D:
QUOTE (Bastion Hallow @ Dec 14 2011, 01:39 PM)
A spiritual connection/bond is to be formed so why would one wish to harm their bonded? It's like, would you go out of your way to injure your soulmate? [/quote]
What I took from the starting post was that rather than just the spirit guide being malevolent or evil, the canine they are bonded to would also be the same in personality so it is not so much that the spirit guide and canine would be causing to one another harm. And I don't see why it wouldn't/couldn't be that way, it makes sense to me. In fact I think it was even present during the war with some of the Guardians. One in particular that I recall was a wolverine(?) that like to try and eat other spirit guides. I can't remember the characters name sadly.
what i read into it was a dark souled canine..would have a darker spirit guide that would lead them along the darker path..

because honestly.. wouldnt a spirit guide be just like any other conscious type thing... they can lead you down a good path.. or a path to succession.. but who said the path would be bright and cheery? Darker souls would naturally have a darker spirit guide right? they guide your spirit.. but what path.. everyone assumes its always the bright and cheery path, but not everyone is bright and cheery..

I think of the spirit guides as the daemons from golden compass.. they grow with you.. they help teach..but they arent going to run your life..and sometimes..they are darker natured too..

I would have loved to have done this with Oceane and her ocelot spirit guide if she turned down a darker path... after all..she is Haku's daughter...
What I meant with that is well, basically what I said. Why hurt someone you are bonded to? If the path the spirit guide is going to lead their bonded down is going to cause injury than why do it? Spirit guides possess an ancient wisdom. While they will not run another's life they will also not actively put them in harm's way.

Also some people haven't been playing their spirit guides correctly but it isn't my place to speak up on that. They have their spirit guides talking when that doesn't happen. Spirit guides can't talk but they only communicate through feelings or incomplete images (unless this has been changed). But in the same aspect people have been doing low speech wrong, using complete sentences rather than broken ones or basic interpretations and impressions. But again, it's not my place to make sure people are doing as they are supposed to.
I played Oceane shortly after the pack started... and there wasnt anything about how we were suppose to play our spirit guides..

and how can anyone know anything about thm when you have to log into aw's page to view that information?
It was up there when I was playing Sakari. I had read it over when I was looking to get her one. I haven't read it since then though. Which is why I said it was possible for it to have been changed. And I didn't know that is was no longer able to be accessed by the public.
Okay, just a correction of the many confusions here:
  • Spirit Guides have always been able to speak, this has never been changed. However they can communicate with vague impressions in addition
  • There has always been some guidelines for how spirit guides should be played, though these have been developed further in time, this is true. However its main concept has always been available in definitions - the expansion has been created simply because of the very many misunderstandings of the concept, and the many questions.
  • A darker personality does not necessarily acquire a dark spirit guide - there needn't be a mirror here. The main point about the spirit guide is that it cannot be malevolent in its guidance. It acts on its own judgment in relation to AniWayan culture, law and set of values. Hence Maska's guide's guidance would be percieved as "evil" to some, while he in reality simply had a very strict interpretation of traditional AniWayan values. Hence, he was not evil, though the actions he led Maska on to could be said (by 'Souls very humanistic set of values) were immoral actions. To reiterate: A guide cannot be malevolent, but its guidance does have a specrtum in which it is possible to play around (in the interpretation of the AniWayan values - liberal or conservative?)
  • The Spirit Guide's manner of being does not necessarily have to reflect on its function. Hence Gvihita is quite snappy and harsh, directly cold, to Dawali, yet she still fulfills her role. So their nature may be darker, that is correct, but their guidance cannot be intentionally dark.
  • The point about there being a balance between guide and wolf is something I haven't considered: that they may not harm the bond between them. So far this has happened a lot (f.ex. with sulky guides or inharmonious guides' personalities), but it's certainly interesting!
  • I have been trying quite hard to separate the spirit guides from the daemon concept from His Dark Materials. They are nothing like daemons, unfortunately.
I don't know what you mean by having to log in to find information about Spirit Guides, as it is all readily available for anyone without any login Smile

@Cam: I think your idea is really cool, and definetely doable if you make use of a different supernatural concept than the spirit guide. You can use a ghost for this purpose, for example? It would be really interesting to see what you could do with that concept, because as it is less prominent, it gives more opportunities for the ghost's effects, at least I think so ;D
The website is asking us to login if we try to leave the main page.
I just checked, actually, and you do need to login to view Spirit Guide information. o: Do you perhaps have the page set to draft or preview rather than published?
Re: login: I just fixed it. It was a change I added less than 24 hours ago, so it's pretty random that it would be so relevant, but good thing that it got discovered. My browser keeps me logged in so I had no way of knowing. I just tested, though, and all pages are available again Smile
QUOTE (Anann Kelevra @ Dec 14 2011, 03:55 PM)
One in particular that I recall was a wolverine(?) that like to try and eat other spirit guides. I can't remember the characters name sadly. [/quote]
That would be Geyahita, Shadi Tuwa's wolverine spirit guide. Smile
-goes back to lurking-