thin ice
Thoirni had finally settled on an old abandoned den near Rabbit Lake. It was high enough that if the lake flooded he would be in no danger, but close enough to the lake to be easy access to prey and water. His sun shot sapphire orbs shot open this morning to the dim light shining through the opening of his home as he stretched his forelegs out, each toe spread wide as he felt the strain of his muscles in the effort. He let a jaw cracking yawn break out as he rolled onto his back and slowly stretched out his hindlegs as well.

His morning routine was a slow and steady pace, finally the male was done as he rolled back onto his belly and slide out of his small and cozy den. The weak sunlight rained down on his pelt as he shook the dirt and debris from his fur. He opened his eyes wide again to glance around before deciding that he should explore around the lake more this day.

His large paws padded down the sloping incline as he growled softly, watching his breath burst forth in a frosty film in the air. He tried it again, watching the swirl before him slowly disappear before he shook his head at the folly and finished his stroll to the lake. Bending his head down low the large male broke the thin ice with a oversized paw before he lapped up the refreshing chilly waters.
[html]

The end of the war had marked very little for the silver-painted princess. Though her family members that had been captured had come back, and Anu as well, of course, her family had been broken up again by Jazper's decision to leave and start a pack. Her aunt was left without her mate and most of their children, or perhaps all of them (she was not close to any of them), had gone with him. Her father was even more reclusive than normal and Silvano was busy with his new mate, and it left Artemis feeling strangely out of place, as if nothing was right anymore.

Just as she had done nearly every day for the past nine months or so, Artemis went down to the lake that morning. She stepped out onto the ice with one paw, keeping the other three firmly on the ground as she tested the ice. It was too thin to walk on, definitely, and the young wolf sighed. She did not withdraw her paw from the ice as she looked around, finally spotting the male wolf across the lake a little ways. "Hello," she called out with a friendly smile. She recognized him from her brother's mateship ceremony, but she did not know his name or who he was.

<style type="text/css">
.missatrans001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.missatrans001 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.missatrans001 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.missatrans001 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... cstars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
The older male had not expected company, nor had be been listening for the padding of another. He had grown lax being inside pack lands again, something he knew better than to do, but this time when the brush of movement from the corner of his eye and the soft elegant voice of another caught him off guard he could do little more than smile. His dark blue orbs rose to meet her own as he lifted his head from the icy waters. A few stubborn drops clung to his chin for a moment before he gave a brisk flick of his muzzle and sent them back to the chilly lake once more.

"Hello..." he said, clearing his throat a moment before adding. "I'm Thoirni.. I think I've seen you around.." a slight flick of an ear followed as he chuckled softly, "but...I have not had the pleasure of finding out your name m'lady..." his sapphire eyes, dusted with gold sparkled slightly as he attempted to flatter the poor girl.
[html]

"Artemis Marino," she replied with a friendly smile, though she was a bit unnerved by the way he looked at her. It was probably just her lack of social skills; her self-imposed isolation earlier in the year had done quite a bit to hinder those. It was her own fault, of course, but she had not handled the post-traumatic period well at all, and perhaps was still facing some of the troubles caused by her accident and Denali's death.

"I saw you at my brother's mateship ceremony." That was the only time she recalled seeing this male, but it was recognition enough. The ceremony had seemed strange to her, but then, she found all of the frills and humanistic things that Giselle (and Silvano, to an extent, but he was her brother so she thought nothing of it) loved very... strange. Especially the dresses, she thought. "I don't know your name yet, either," the silver-pelted young woman reminded him.

<style type="text/css">
.missatrans001 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.missatrans001 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... cstars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
She said her name, it was almost exotic. A small smile fell upon his lips as he had almost found himself repeating thus, but at the last moment thought better of himself. "Lovely.." he said finally.. not as overpowering as he'd been thinking but a compliment just the same. He hadn't realized that the male who had proclaimed the other young wolfess his mate had been her brother, but as she spoke of it now he nodded. "Yes, though it hadn't realized you were siblings.." So many of the pack scents were so close he could almost assume that a lot of the pack was related but he didn't know if it was true or not so he kept the thoughts to himself. He was a simple creature and the embellishments of the mateship had been a bit much for him. While he had been glad that two young wolves still could find their soulmates in this crazy new world he wasn't sure what his place was in their own pack yet.

He almost laughed though as the young girl demanded that he hadn't revealed his name, a sparkle in his eyes as he grinned a rather toothy grin and repeated. "Thoirni.. that's my name.. not technically my personality.. at all times." He was thorny sometimes, but he generally didn't mean to be. The changes in the world today scared him a little and he wasn't certain how to deal. Often he did come off stony and thorny but it was a better guard than running.

He turned his eyes back to the lake before them as he commented idly. "Within the moon and she should be frozen.." The thin ice that tempered the lake already would grow thicker still. He had lived through enough seasons to know the moods of the winter months.. though nature wasn't afraid to toss a curve ball here or there..
[html]

353 words.

The feral male had a strange way of speaking, Artemis noted very quickly. There seemed to be pauses between the words, punctuating the dialogue with spaces that held a tangible, thick meaning. The girl did not know what to make of him now, though she had thought nothing of him at the ceremony between her brother and Giselle. His gaze made her feel a bit uneasy, like he was studying her and seeing through her, looking at more than she wanted him to. It unnerved her something terrible, and she was rather thankful for the bit of distance between them that the nearly-frozen lake forced on them, no other option available unless one or both of them made an effort to be closer. Perhaps that was the way she lived her life, though, and not just because of the lake.

"I have a few siblings in the pack," she said, thinking of each of their faces in turn, a brief picture show in her mind. There were two dark, studious faces, one black and one a mottled brown. These were the faces of her brothers. There was a timid face with brown fur and sea green eyes. This quiet face belonged to Cambria. There was the pale face of Amata with her bicolored eyes. The cinnamon and sugar features of Parker came to mind last. "Savina is my mom, and Kansas is my dad." The declaration was tinted with the faint Italian accent she had picked up from her mother and aunt and uncle. There was pride, as well, of being the Consul's daughter. She loved her family.

She had not been raised without manners, though he nature tended to be more blunt than any of her more diplomatic siblings. "It's nice to meet you, Thoirni. You're new here, right?" Artemis knew most of the pack's members, despite her self-imposed isolation, and had only seen him for the first time recently, which led her to believe she must be correct. "I like coming here," she said, referring to the lake. "I'm sad it will freeze." It had been her steady place, the lake.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]