Quercus rubra
[html]

Anu sat on her bed, the single book she claimed on her lap as it frequented. She looked at the pictures, flowers and the beds in which they lay. She longed for them, and wished it were the season that would bring them back to her, petals blooming. Then there was a shadow in the doorway. It was his scent that made her pause before raising her eyes to meet his.

Oak. She spoke, her tone quiet. But not soft like it was with the other tree named boys. He had been distant, ever since she had returned. But was that the reason? Or was it her disappearance that made caused him to flounder in their ranks and go a miss? Anu had not appreciated his lack of presence, and cordial greetings and motherly embraces would not reward his inattentiveness towards pack affairs. Not without explanation.

Mother He replied. A large dark toned hand rested on the doorway, as if it kept him standing. He was tired; the shadows beneath his eyes were deep and long. Her stoic features cracked, and she softened as she read the lines on his face. Come in. She said, and in the next turn she questioned. Where have you been my son? It had been a question she had wondered for weeks. He had come to her when she lay in the bed she sat on, and once she was healed he had not shown his face to her again.

Please don’t be mad at me. He spoke, a pup’s words in the voice of a grown wolf. It was laced with a pleading sound that came from his throat. He sat on the bed beside her without asking for permission. Anu did not find it intrusive, and placed a silver hand on his molten autumn arm. It seemed as if he had gotten stronger, larger in the past weeks. I am not mad at you Oak. She replied. It was the truth, honesty pouring from her as always. But, I expect more of you. Her voice was harder, laying the responsibility thickly out onto his shoulders. She expected more from all of them, as her sons they were to carry Crimson Dreams into a new world. Beyond the ashes of war and into a new light. His absence had brought her uncertainty, and that led to disappointment.

I know mother. She could tell that he did not understand what she spoke between her words. The Sun was all that would last till the end of time. She may not live beyond the next winter to come, and who was stand in her place? It could be the fire tinged pelted boy. Or it may not… But Anu would know her options.

A hand went to his chin, delicate and arthritic fingers squeezing it and pulling it forward. His head leaned, and fell with his allowance. She placed her nose on his brick and ember crown, the motion that always reconnected Anu and her whelps. A breath brought her his scent; it still spoke of their home and of their blood. He had yet to stray too far. You are a Dreamer, a wolf of the Sun and named after the strongest trees I have ever known. That is all I could ever give you. Anu let go of her soft grip on his cream and gray chin. But his head remained lowered for a prolonged moment. Sadness then met his tore bay eyes, and he nodded when he read what they saw in her matching blue gaze. He smiled, hoping to lift her spirit, as he understood that he must try to not disappoint her again. She returned the soft curve of his lips with a gentle grin of her own. That’s all I need. He replied.

[/html]