my lonesome
[html]

Not sure where the length came from; you
don't need to match! +529

It had been a very long time since Vesper had traveled his far south, passing through her usual favored haunts and skirting the borders of an interesting smelling pack she could have sworn hadn’t been there when she was a loner. She galloped on past the city skyline and cut through the coast into the forest—the forest where she and her dear friend had played what seemed like long ages ago. It hadn’t changed much, despite the absence of the laughing females, but even so the air seemed colder and her heart ached fiercely.

Blind’s voice rang fresh in her ears, of her giggling and the distinct little excited chirp of her voice. Her scent also seemed fresh, and for a second Vesper froze in her tracks, sniffing the air frantically. It was only a memory, though, and she resisted the urge to attack the nearest tree as she realized her error. She didn’t think it would be possible to miss someone so fiercely after seeing them only a few times, but she hadn’t allowed herself to get so close to someone for fear of this: of the empty place in her heart, the keen desire to see them again, the dread that something terrible had happened.

It was perhaps why she hadn’t gotten close to anyone in Inferni, as X’yrin had cautioned her about. Despite the insistence from her Shepard that she would never walk alone in the world, the dappled hybrid certainly felt alone now. There was only one wolf she could think about since waking that prior morning from a sweet dream. It had distracted her from her duties throughout that day, and so she had eventually come to know what she had to do.

She had to know for certain if Blind was truly gone, or if something was keeping her within her pack territory. Vesper had spent too many hours waiting around the hilltop they had embraced on, and some sick serpent writhing in the pit of her stomach led her to believe it was more than a coincidence or simple circumstance that the other hadn’t showed up.

She had to know.

The coywolf had to stop to catch her breath when she finally reached the northernmost border of Crimson Dreams, in a space where the forest ended and the rolling hills began. She had traveled almost nonstop since her earlier break at nightfall three quarters of the way there. She almost dragged herself toward the borders as exhaustion threatened to creep up on her again, but for once she didn’t absolutely correct her posture. To appear fit and wild would cause whoever appeared to distrust her immediately—if being a coyote from Inferni did not already set them on edge. Instead, her patchwork features were weary and nonthreatening, and she followed the proper etiquette as she finally came to stand just outside the scent marks that did not carry a trace of her friend’s odor.

The howl that the hybrid let out was a distinct one, a yapping coyote cry edged with the long and sorrowful note of a lone wolf, though she had ceased to be one for many moons now.

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesbluecrack .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html] lovely post ^^

She was surprised, shocked even. The cold air of winter had not set itself deep into her bones. The snow did not send a chill into her toes and up to her gut. No, where Anu thought winter would be her unraveling she found that it invigorated her. Her thin body was covered with a thick coat, her timber wolf and arctic heritage serving her well, and the woman found that despite the past her future was not as bleak as she had once thought. Indeed she grew tired easier then before, and the scar on her neck would be ever present. But the fey could leave the confines of the Manor, take to four paws and patrol the packlands without fear of collapse.

Silver paws trotted over the snow, thick fur and wide toes naturally keeping her aloft the powder. The scents of the pack were everywhere, the border paroled often by the dedicated members. It was an instinct that she felt pulled by as well, and the fact that she had called this place home for so long made the territory even more precious to her.

A call came to her ears, surprisingly close, and Anu only needed to turn to the north to pick up the scent that could very well be the stranger that sang aloud through the clear sky. The Praetor tracked the female's scent with ease, her pace energized by curiosity. Blue eyes searched for a figure among the trees, and found it in time. Slowing her pace the silver and gray wolfess tilted her head up, posture of a leader written over all her body's lines. Though it was hard for her to look uninviting and aggressive with her gentle eyes and soft smile.

Who are you singing for? She asked, her voice light and the question far from pressing.

[/html]
[html]

SSWM 363

It was not long before the smell of a wolf reached the small hybrid, and Vesper swung around to see a thin old timber female walking toward her. Despite the other’s age, however, there was only a maternal quality about her; she did not seem frail but wild and wise. Her blue eyes settled on the pale creature’s pale ones, and noting the other’s dominant posture, she went through the motions quietly: lowering her ears and tail and dipping her head in a gesture of respect. The respect was not just a show to not be chased from the borders, however; it was not often she saw someone aged like this that also seemed to carry a trace of the strength from their prime.

The Crimson Dreamer addressed her, and Vesper had to fight to blurt out the name of her beloved friend. She was not a girl anymore; she had ceased to be a girl for a very long time despite her apparent youth. Ears flattening tightly against her angular skull, she ventured to take a different direction.

“For anyone who could give me some news,” the tawny coyote murmured, “about a she-wolf named Blind.”

She took an uneasy seat outside of the scent markings, turning her head toward the deep forest, which would likely be covered in snow by now. She didn’t want to betray her feelings, but hiding behind a cold mask as usual wouldn’t likely help her get any answers. Letting her concern leak into her expression, she looked back at the silvery-grey wolf.

“She’s a dark-colored luperci—well, just-turned luperci—and has mismatched eyes you could never forget. She was a member of Crimson Dreams—or is—or—I just want to know if she’s still here or if she’s gone away somewhere.”

Her control faltered, and Vesper sighed. She would have to accept the answer even if it was an unfavorable one, but she simply needed to know. It wouldn’t be hard to recover from an already once-broken heart; she had changed since the first time and would be able to cope. But this wishy-washy state of confusion and damaged hope would be the end of her.

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Eyes like water washed over the other female, taking in the sight of her haggard appearance. She was scarred, and the missing portion of her ear was obvious at a mere glance. But Anu was soft in her observation, sweeping over her as not to stare at the unsure fey. Anu reacted to the submission, as was her instinct, and replied with the easing of her stance and the lowing of her tail. There was nothing left for her to prove.

The tawny ragged figure spoke, and the older female stood in silence as she explained her intention. It was not until her description was complete that Anu sighed with a response. I am sorry to say that Blind is no longer here. Though I believe that she simply left, with no foul play at the root. She paused, but added after a breath or two, Such things happen often. Wolves come and go; it is not our practice to search for the idle wanderers. It happened very often, some would come and be gone by the next season. Or even sooner. Some hardly lasted a night, or so it felt. Age played with the mind, and its appreciation for time changed.

The scent of Inferni had been picked up before Anu had caught sight of her, and so her alliance was simply understood. But as she examined her face the Dreamer searched for fresh wounds. The female held beauty, and her demeanor did not match the marks on her body. She hoped that such a a soft soul rested well among the clan. Experience had led her to believe that membership was not a gentle existence.

[/html]
[html]

SSWM 508
We can end it here, or Anu
can talk to her more if she's curious. I don't mind either way; it could be an interesting venting/therapy session? xD If not you can just archive it. ^^

A sigh escaped those silvered jaws, and with that exhale Vesper could feel all of her own hope leaving her small and ragged body. She resigned herself to the news even before the timber woman explained that the girl had gone away. Focusing on the fact that the dark she-wolf had not been stolen away or killed was some source of happiness, but rather than feel anything—disappointment, hope, frustration—she let the emotions melt away and the ice freeze back in its layer over her heart. By no means was she one of those stone-hearted canines who hardened themselves against anything and everything, but she fell more to that side when the coin was dropped. Times like these required her to repair a bit of her shell.

“That’s too bad,” the tawny coywolf said simply, nodding her head at acceptance of what the Dreamer had told her, betraying none of the worried and invested emotion from before. Thoughts continued to whirl in her head, and she patiently chased them down and killed them before they could escape into action—action to go chase after Blind, wasting time she didn’t have, or to lash out at something else due to her anger.

The older wolf’s added statement made Ves frown thoughtfully. “It must tax the pack to have fickle wanderers… I’ve heard of others who came and went from Inferni on a whim. I suppose I of all canines should understand; I know how hard it is to adjust to a group.” More words than she intended escaped from her narrow jaws, but none of the information was revealing. Every group had the issue of balancing their membership and territory and holding firm onto strength in numbers, and Vesper was somewhat surprised that she hadn’t fled from the clan after her confusing days of adjustment. Perhaps it was because she did not waste potential, even if something was thrust upon her.

Standing outside the borders to a foreign pack, conversing with one of their high-ranked members, something else occurred to Vesper then. It was almost absurd, and the smallest of bitter smirks flashed across her lips before she could recapture the emotion and bundle it safely away. She became unaware of the grey she-wolf, instead turning her head slightly aside and glancing into the forest from whence she came, the forest where she’d played with her friend.

Blind was probably fickle in more ways than one. All that heated closeness was a joke—an experiment. She felt physically safe with the coywolf, and when nothing worked out, she ran away from home. Vesper had met a few girls like that before—gorgeous and giggling and ready to flirt and touch a little, but ultimately deciding that they wouldn’t contemplate switching teams or even balancing between the two sides.

A sardonic chuckle dying before it had even completely left her lips, Vesper turned her pale gaze back to the wolf and bowed her head again. “Thank you for clearing that up for me,” she said, and turned to go.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html] sorry this is short

Anu wondered lightly is the two had been close friends, though the older fey did not read into the scarred female’s reaction. They all lost friends, many lost loved ones even, to the open road. Members of the pack came and went, Anu had learned long ago that it would only be foolish to go and look for every single one. To become one of the pack held benefits and protection, But there was also a demand for loyalty. She nodded; finding is slightly surprising to hear such wise words from a seemingly young canine. But, the scarred woman had seen her share of life’s lessons. Hadn’t she?

But then, the tawny fey gave Anu her thanks and then turned her body. May I ask your name? If she returns, I will tell her you came looking for her. The blue eyed Dreamer looked to see her face once again, Were you good friends? Now the curiosity came to light. It was a long walk back to Inferni, and the other female seemed to be carrying such a weight on her shoulders. The journey would be further demanding if she left without removing at least a little bit of it.

[/html]
[html]

SSWM 266
It's okay!

Even as the patchwork coywolf turned to leave, the old timber spoke to her in that same voice that implied so much maternal experience and wisdom. It was funny to harbor such an impression of a foreign pack official she’d only met this once, but Vesper did not dwell on it. Her pale blue eyes sought out the similarly hued ones of the grey female, and she nodded lightly as she realized the logic behind giving her name. Part of her had already blocked out all possibility of Blind ever returning to Nova Scotia, but hope, no matter how brutally beaten back, would always linger in that lost corner of foolish emotions.

“My name is Vesper,” the pale tawny ’yote said, and she paused at the second question. It was one she was not as obligated to answer, but she had always been candid. Pointless secrecy was for cowards, and a coward she was not.

“We were—I think good friends. We had something, even if we’ve only shared a matter of hours together. I saved her life and still hoped to protect her…” The truth came all too quickly once the barrier was down, and she had to struggle to build the dam to her words once more. She felt foolish admitting even this much to the still-lovely silvery elder, let alone nearly telling her of the deeper affections she suspected she held. But those emotions were baseless. Shaking her head once, she glanced at the older woman again and confessed, “I care a lot about her. I guess that’s all I can really say.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Anu listened with open ears and an open heart. As Vepser spoke she found herself thinking back and into a past that Anu did not wish to venture. But, at times she had no choice but to remember those old wounds and try once again to mend them.

It was not so much the explanation, or the story that Vesper brought to mind that made Anu believe that their stories were all too similar. It was the way the words came, like she had been holding on to them so tightly that the pain was doubled, and yet now there was no restraint. She was powerless against them.

Colibri, had been the love that left Anu. The gray female had been younger then, though her years had still brought her wisdom. The younger chocolate hued fey had walked into her life like a blooming flower. There had been days of great hope and happiness, their bond forming quickly and yet tenderly. Anu had saved her as well, bringing her to Crimson Dreams and to a life of peace. Yet, her flower had left. Disappeared without a trace.

Anu nodded softly. The young woman was scarred and tattered; yet her heart was the sorest. She remembered the questions, the worrying and the hope that Colibri would some day return. Years had passed and there had been no sign… If she is meant to, she will return to you. It was the only honest advice she could give the Inferni female.

[/html]