In The Cold, Cold Night
[html]

WC: 1000+

It had been a tough winter so far, and likely to get only tougher. Finn Fidh’s fur clung to her ribs, outlining each stark bone quite clearly. The prey had been scarce on her journey east, and the longer she went without food, the more she scrutinized her companion Alastair with slavering jaws and eyes delineating the more juicy portions of his haunches. Alastair, being a deer and thus finely tuned towards his surroundings and the intents of those around him, had wisely kept clear, following the wolf from a hundred yards away and sleeping with one eye open. Not that Finn could actually go through with killing him. She had grown somewhat fond of the shaggy pelted creature, as evidenced by the fact that she had not only named him, but named him after a favoured uncle. Truth be told, they did resemble each other. Old uncle Ali had the same bemused expression and goofy, loping gate.

Finn pushed through yet another drift of snow, the combination of cold and resistance slowly but surely sapping the strength from her limbs. She was tired, she wanted to lay down and rest, but deep within her soul she knew that if she succumbed to sleep now she would never wake up. Alastair, though useful enough to relieve boredom by talking, arguing and yelling at, would probably not try to save her. Even prey had to have some kind of pride in itself. So, with this in mind, Finn trudged onward, distracting herself from the distressing lack of feeling in her remaining toes by telling a story.

“Once upon a time, there was Eagle, who hated all the other animals so much that he hid away the stars, the sun and the moon.” Finn began, her voice rolling out into the empty forest with an almost sing-song cadence. Though her normal tone was as harsh as the bark of a seal, brought about by the scars on her throat, when a story came to her tongue and a smile to her lips, all that worried her dropped away, and her voice was that of a younger wolf, untroubled and clear. “Now, Eagle had a beautiful daughter, and it was she that Raven fell in love with. At this time, Raven was not the bird you see today, his feathers were white as all this goddamn snow, and very handsome. The eagle’s daughter fell in love with Raven too, and she invited him into her father’s longhouse.”

Finn paused here, singular ear flicking like a moth’s antenna. What was a longhouse, anyway? Finn only knew the word from her grandmother, Morrigan, but even the aged wolf had not possessed its definition. If someone could be invited inside a longhouse, it must be like a den, but long, perhaps? The wolf shook her head, a long den would be very drafty and hard to defend. Figures a silly bird like an eagle would live in such a silly place. Finn had no patience for the creatures, she thought eagles rather pompous and stupid, and raven’s not much better. Alas, she was not the story-maker, only the tongue that gave it voice. She cleared her throat and began again.

“When Raven saw the sun, moon and stars sitting in the lodge, he knew that he must steal them, and bring them back to the world outside, which languished in the darkness. So, when no one was looking, he grabbed them all, along with a skin of water and a brand of fire, and fled from the longhouse. Fearing pursuit, Raven tossed the sun up into the sky, where it stuck and began shining so brightly that Eagle was blinded and dived back down to earth. Flying onward, Raven found a place for the moon, fastening it more gently in the sky so it shone like a mirror, reflecting the sun.”

Again Finn stopped, wheeling drunkenly about to see if Alastair was following. He was, but from a great distance, regarding her with wide eyes, as if questioning her sanity. “Oh stop that,” Finn muttered, “Just because you can’t talk doesn’t mean I’m talking to myself.” She took another step and another, but it was getting harder and harder to move, and the cold air snapped and rattled in her chest. Perhaps she should lie down, just for a little while…

“Dancing through the sky in celebration of his own success, Raven scattered the stars hither thither, so that they twinkled like diamonds in the velvety night. As he flew, the smoke from the brand caught in his wings and feathers, turning them sooty and black. When the brand grew too short and burned his beak, Raven dropped that too. Where it landed, the earth caught fire, and soon began to blaze.” Fire sure would be nice right now. Finn had only seen it from a distance, circled by the eerie, shadowed, bipedal forms of luperci, and that was what had kept her from straying closer. But even from afar she could see its light, feel its warmth, like sunlight bound to earth. It often flickered through her dreams.

“Panicked, Raven threw the water to the ground. It put out the fires and became all the lakes and rivers that run through this land. So that’s why eagles and ravens don’t get along. Raven was a punk who tried to get with Eagle’s daughter, and ended up robbing him blind and almost setting the entire world on fire.” Her foot snagged on some unseen root, and Finn pitched forward into the snow. The scent of a pack’s territory filled her nostrils, it was strong, but not too strong. She was at the very border. Finn rasped out another breath and settled more deeply into the powder. Maybe dying wouldn’t be as bad as she though it was. This… this was like going slowly numb, so far removed from the red rush of battle. The wolf closed her eyes, spiraling down into the enfolding darkness as the russet deer looked on from the woods. “The end.”

[/html]
[html]
<style>
.naniko .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.naniko p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko-border {width:379px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

As they grew, the whelps seemed to follow her more and more. The pups were getting better at tracking, sniffing her particular scent out from the mix of pack smells that surrounded them day in and day out. She'd made it into a game for them; the mother would rise earlier than her children and head out for the borders, hunt something smaller, and carry it along with her on her way. It was a daily activity now for the family. The pups would spend their morning tracking Naniko down, and once they finally did find their elusive mother they would be given their reward.

She stood tall in her optime form, walking the borderline with a late-born fawn slung over her shoulders. She wasn't concerned about another member ambushing her and taking her meat; she was the top bitch in this pack. It was growing later in the day, and she wondered if the pups had given up on finding her. Perhaps they'd grown tired of this daily game or had decided that they were too old for it. She set the deer down on the ground with a small groan, stretching her back. It was certainly a workout, walking with that kind of weight on her shoulders..but she was growing more used to the strain as time went on.

The Angela turned toward the packlands, yawning. It had been over a year since she'd formed Anathema, and many things had changed about it. The members were different, a few new laws had been added...and new ceremonies had been developed. She wanted to do more for the pack, to figure out ways to provide better for them...and her co-leader Alaki helped her with that. Their latest idea involved a crow alert system; the leaders were training the crows to respond to basic commands and to learn the pack members by sight. They would squawk loudly and report any unfamiliar canines to Naniko or Alaki now.

She turned back to her border duties, picking the deer back up from the ground and returning it to its place around her shoulders. Jade eyes slid over the landscape, taking in all irregularities. It took a moment for her to realize that anyone was there, her nose picking up the unfamiliar scent when the wind turned her direction. "Hello?" She called. Nothing. Naniko stepped out a little farther from the safety of the packlands and into the surrounding woodlands. "Who is there?" She looked about at eye level before turning her gaze to the forest floor. It looked like some sort of a corpse, still as it was. She approached warily, unsure if it was some sort of an act, and reached one foot out to try and nudge the individual. "Get up."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

WC: 500+

Apparently death was absent today, or else Finn was already so battered in appearance that he had mistaken her for deceased long ago, and thus denied her wishes. She groaned slightly at the prodding on her ribs, and opened one bleary eye. It took a moment for her cloudy gaze to focus, and what she eventually saw she did not expect. At first she had assumed it was Alastair, attempting to skewer her with his antlers in retribution for all the chiding nips she had given him over the years. But no, before her stood a tall, pale-furred luperci. Finn drew in a startled breath, which promptly turned into a lung-wracking cough. If she had more energy she would have turned tail and ran but as such she only managed to prop herself up with her forelegs..

“H-hail.” She managed, her mouth dry and heart beating like a startled rabbit through the brush. “I’d stand, but my legs seem to have failed me in my time of need.” Finn’s back legs gave an unenthusiastic twitch, indicating that they were, for the time, out of order. However, instead of numbness they had begun to tingle fitfully, and might soon bely her words. “I must sincerely apologize, if this is your territory,” Finn said, gesturing with her muzzle to take in the expanse before her. “I lose all sense of direction in hunger and the snow.”

She cast a wary eye at the wolf, taking in her entire height. Unnatural. Finn suppressed a shudder. Though she was not the stereotype spouting little daddy’s girl she had been before her brothers chased her away, she still nursed a suspicion for luperci. It was too strange how they walked on their back legs, like birds who had forgotten how to fly. And those paws, with that odd extra digit. It allowed them to do such unwolfish things. Unnatural. “Why haven’t you killed me yet?” The wolf asked cautiously, her shoulders tensed, waiting for the blow. Though she was not what she was when she was young, she still firmly believed that the luperci were bloodthirsty creatures. What’s more, she was trespassing on their land. A double offence..

She could see Alastair watching from the trees, even farther away now that the white wolf had made herself know. Finn didn’t blame him. She dearly wished for his seemingly unending vigour, so that she might leap and bound away from this place, to warmer climes full of fat and incautious prey. But alas, she was here, trembling with hunger and exhaustion, completely at the mercy of the she-wolf. In better times she might have fought to escape, in worse she might have run, but now she was pinned like a beetle, legs wriggling absurdly, waiting for death to finally clock in and swipe her away through cold, or violence or starvation. Finn would have laughed, if it wasn’t so ridiculous. She had almost died this way before, beneath her brothers fangs, then in the midst of a blizzard too fierce for her thin-skinned body. Life was circuitous, of that she had no doubt.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
.naniko b {color:#FFFFFF; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.naniko {background-color:#1e252b; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... naniko.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:12px; color:#141b21; width:375px; text-align:justify; }
.naniko .inner {margin:10px 10px 190px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... nikobg.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>

Her main concern was always with the safety of Anathema. As a leader, she felt that it was her duty to maintain a secure border and to keep a watch out for threats. Just meters inside of their borderline were dozens of pit-fall traps that she and her sister Selene had dug while she was still alive. An outsider wouldn't know their location or how to avoid them, was the thought. She had yet to catch any canines in one, but was finding that the traps had a secondary use. The leader often found deer or other creatures trapped in the holes.

There didn't seem to be much of a threat from this canine. Naniko backed a few steps away from Finn as she stirred, looking down at her and observing her stance and the apparent weakness of her legs. Her words reached the ears of the leader, who shrugged in response. "You didn't trespass...and I wouldn't waste valuable energy ending the life of someone who already seems to be within death's grips." She said simply.

"I am Naniko D'Angelo, the leader here. If you seek to pass through this territory, I can provide a guide and sustenance. I would be willing to help a canine who respected my land's boundaries." The Angela gave a small groan as she set the young deer down before the loner, somewhat relieved to have the weight off of her shoulders once more. "Here."Her half-grown children hadn't managed to catch her, so they had not earned the meat anyway.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

WC: 500+

I should note, that though I refer to Finn in writing as “she”, she firmly believes she’s male due to some mental trauma that occurred sometime between 2009 and present day.

Finn spared a brief, grateful half-bow before tearing into the meat. The taste brought a grin to her mangled maw, and she gulped down a few hunks rapidly, yet neatly. The food filled her belly, and from there warmth began to radiate outwards, through her chest and haunches to her legs and toes. Finn wriggled the latter experimentally. The ones she had lost were bare of fur, so she always had to be careful lest the stumps catch frostbite. She felt the cold too on the scars across her back and sides, but at least the tissue was thicker there and the stinging pain less immediate.

“Thank you,” Finn said once she had finished, licking the last flecks of blood from her lips and gristle from between her teeth. “I am Finn, son of Cuhlain Fidh.” She rose, wobbling, to her feet and sketched out another bow, Naniko’s words rustling about her brain as she did so. A guide and sustenance would be nice, but the winter was far from over and Finn knew that as soon as she left she’d be back to square one. And that time, if she didn’t run across the kindness of strangers again, she might not be so lucky.

Now, Finn was an easygoing wolf, but she wasn’t the kind to go gently into that goodnight, and thus, though fear still crackled along her nerves at the sight of Naniko, singing the song of flight, her brain had different plans. “I don’t suppose… I could stay here? Only for the winter, I mean, and then I’d be gone.” She shuffled her paws in the snow, vaguely embarrassed at how hopeless her lot in life had become. “My thin sides may suggest I am no hunter, but I work well enough with small game, when there is some.”

“I know some amount of medicine too, and I have a memory second to none.” She continued, perking up slightly. Perhaps she should have been more humble, but it was true. Finn could take one glance at a forest and tell you what type of trees filled it and a (usually quite accurate) estimate of how many there were. “I also know many stories, and I’m sure they would be a welcome thing to listen to on a cold night.” Finished singing her praises, Finn fell silent, awaiting Naniko’s judgement. She knew she had no right asking for a place to stay, another mouth in the midst of a harsh winter was not something oft smiled upon, but she had to take a chance.

If not, if Naniko dismissed her and sent her packing, it would be hard but nothing new. Finn was used to being chased off, though she would be hasty to assert that none of the scars she gained were from fleeing a battle. The wind moaned between the trees and Finn shuddered. Lately, it felt like all she knew was cold, it had filled her bones and chilled her blood and blew through her until the point that it seemed she was just another snowdrift, albeit one that could walk and talk. She had no memory of the warmth of sunlight, or fresh grass, or a blue sky. It was all just grey, grey grey, and the she-wolf was sick and tired of it.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

She lifted one hand in a dismissive nature as the female began her meal; she did not mind offering food to one who seemed to be in dire need of it. She wasn't completely heartless. The only creatures that Naniko would harm a hair on were those who disrespected her authority or who threatened her friends or family. She was rather lax with her own pack members, allowing them to do whatever they wanted so long as they didn't harm one another or bring war to her doorsteps...she thought that it gave them a sense of independence beneath her reign. They were all still drones, of course..but drones who could feel like they had a choice in things.

She had thought that she was looking at a female, but the..male's words described himself as being a "son" of somebody or another. She couldn't remember the name, as it had seemed to be a rather useless piece of information at the time it had been spoken. Naniko could care less what the gender of the canine in front of her was as long as she had some use for her. The fact that Finn would owe her a favor for allowing her to pass through Anathema unscathed was enough to let the stranger in.

But it seemed that the male had his mind on something else - on actually joining up. Naniko had never been one to discriminate in the past...if a member was going to leave, they would do so whether she wanted them to or not. This was a fact that she had accepted. So why care about it? After that realization, Naniko had created the policy that set Anathema aside from other packs. Canines could come and go...so long as they worked hard for her while they were living within the net of pack safety.

As long as the boy (what was this canine's age? She didn't know.) pulled his weight and didn't cause too much trouble, she was sure they'd get along just fine. "Whatever. You should see the place before you commit, boy. Some can't adjust to our way of life." A few canines had left over the years due to the living conditions; the majority of canines stayed underground in the safety of the caves system that they had claimed. "We live underground, for the most part...though you can choose otherwise if you wish to brave the elements. But as long as you pull your weight around here while you're here...it's fine."

There was one final thing that Naniko needed to do before she'd turn and allow the other to follow her in, though. The official joining stamp. "But to join up with us...well, you've got to become family. Through blood. The other didn't look like she had much blood to give..but even a drop was enough. Naniko removed the ceremonial dagger from her belt, making a quick slice across her paw-pad. It was shallow enough, but dripped blood. "I've showed you mine...now you show me yours."

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

WC: 400+

Naniko’s manner was gruff, but not rude or cruel. It was a welcome change from the usual greetings, which usually consisted of, ‘Hey you, get off our land,” or, “Keep walking you mangy bag of fur!” Even being ignored was preferable to being attacked on sight. Finn felt her lips quirk wryly at how low her standards of interaction had become. It hadn’t just been a tough year, it had been a tough life. Not that she really minded, in the end. You got what you got, what use was it to rage and roar against fate? Finn had always let herself go with the flow, and so far the river had kept her from drowning.

Finn cocked her head at hearing that the wolves of Anathema lived underground. Interesting, but not off-putting. Finn didn’t mind caves. She had spent much of her young life in them with her father and brothers. They were quiet, safe places. Unless you managed to find one already occupied by a bear or a mountain lion, of course. It made sense, anyway. Underground, you couldn’t get buried in snow, or soaked with rain, or burnt by the sun. The only thing you had to worry about was cave-ins, and only then if you’d planted yourself on a fault line, or in a warren made of some kind of soft stone like shale.

Hearing Naniko’s words, Finn resolved to make herself as useful to this pack as she possibly could. Though she spoke of staying only for the winter, it was only so that she might not be disappointed if things didn’t turn out well and she was expelled from this place. If she managed to last the season, who knows… Perhaps she would stay for good. Either way, she wouldn’t endear herself by lazing about, not that she did that anyway. Finn had spent her life travelling, walking for days on end. A little hard work was nothing, and if she got to spend some of her time telling stories and hearing new ones then it was definitely worth it.

Finn stared at the red blood, before meeting Naniko’s eye. Casual as you please, she lifted her right paw to her teeth, slashing open the pad with a jerk of her head. Her jaws were not dull, but neither were they as sharp as a knife, and the wound immediately ached with the ebbing pain of such a wound. To her credit, Finn did not flinch, did not even blink the whole while. She had experienced far more, and far worse than this, to cringe now would be an embarrassment of monumental proportions. Unsure of what to do next, Finn hesitantly extended her paw towards the pale she-wolf, her blood dripping and steaming on the virgin snow.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

Here's a picture (click me!)of the den system Smile I can add you in, if you want a cave-den.

She would have cut Finn's paw for her if it had been needed...but the canine had already gotten the job done. She pressed the two cuts together, allowing the blood to flow freely for a few seconds before pulling back and licking at her wound. "It's done. If you need help with the healing process, I have some salve in my den that I could put on it." With the many injuries that the other canine had acquired over the years, Naniko guessed that she had a good idea of the stages of healing and what would constitute an infection. The Angela had worked with herbs in the past and had made salves from beeswax that seemed to help.

She re-sheathed her dagger. "Welcome to Anathema...for however long you choose to stay." Naniko said. She turned back toward the territory, taking a few steps inside while motioning for the other to follow her. "You'll start as a Zepar, the beginner rank. Once you've proven that you can be useful by doing basic tasks for the pack...hunting, scouting, things like that...then Alaki and I will allow you to choose a rank tier to specialize in. You don't have to do that, but it's the only way to move up here. So for now, focus on getting healthy and making yourself useful. Let me know if you pick a below-ground den so I can mark it on our map." She said, beginning to walk back toward the mountain, which loomed over the distant treeline.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]
[html]

WC: 400+

I’d like cave 02, if that’s all right. Also, I wanted to ask, does the 20 posts needed to progress to a rank start with my joining thread? You don’t actually have to reply in this thread if you want to finish it, just PM me or something. Thank you! Big Grin

Finn almost recoiled in shock when Naniko pressed their paws together, but pride made her stand still as their blood mingled. Curious. Some sort of pact, then? There was a lot of symbology in the exchange of blood, mostly implying familial ties. Finn felt the smallest of smiles come to her face. If her joining process was much the same as any other wolf’s, then it was safe to assume that this pack considered itself one large family. It was a nice thought, though Finn wondered how well she would fit in that sort of setting. The last family she had belonged to had injured her, brainwashed her, and then threw her away like yesterday’s bones.

“Thank you, Naniko. That would be most appreciated.” She murmured. Being somewhat decent with healing herself, she was loath to leave a wound untreated, especially one on the bottom of her foot, which would be most prone to infection. She followed at Naniko’s beckoning, trotting with slightly creaky strides to keep up with the two-legged wolf. She listened to the run down of duties. It sounded simple enough. Like she had said before, she was a decent enough hunter, and her pelt allowed her to be quite the sneaky lookout, so she should have no trouble there. At the mention of rank tiers her single ear flickered, as she considered what possibilities there were.

Yes, what had happened today was a good thing. Good and lucky. If Naniko had not been patrolling this particular stretch of woods… Well, Finn would have been a lot worse off. She glanced over her shoulder at Alastair, who peered out from the trees with white eyes. Finn wagged what was left of her tail to give him some measure of comfort, some indication that things would be fine. Whether he comprehended or not was unknown, but he melted into the trees almost immediately.

“I should mention,” Finn began, “That there will be a deer in the woods now. Large, red, big head of antlers. If you might let your wolves know that he is not to be harmed I would be forever in your debt. He is… a friend of sorts. A traveling companion of mine, when no one else would run beside me. I would not want my good fortune to find a place to stay mean his end.” With that, she fell silent, following Naniko into the caves of Anathema, and breathing a sigh of relief as the cold began to melt from her bones. She was home.

[/html]
[html]
<style>
</style>

Sure thing, I'll update the map 8D And yep, from your very first post in your joining thread ^^

She'd heard of canines having animal companions, but did not have a steady one herself. Naniko had made friends with a snowy owl and the pack had a horde of trained crows who would sound alarms if anyone unfamiliar came near the cave entrances...but she wasn't sure how much she really trusted them. She'd learned again and again that if she wanted a job done right then she needed to do it herself...but she had also wanted to try Alaki's crow idea out. So far, there hadn't been much of a ruckus...no intruders, either, though.

So she took the boy's words in stride. "I can't guarantee it...but if you mark him with something, a necklace or some sort of hanging, perhaps...well, that should be enough of an alert. He should be safe within the packlands...and can stay in the caves with you as long as you clean up after him." The pair reached the cave system without further incident, and she padded inside one of the two main entrances. "These caves here are able to be claimed. You may come by my den and get some furs once you've settled, to start yourself off with. It's your own space, so do with it what you will." She said, turning toward her own den and padding away.

Table by Jenny!
[/html]